How hard can this be? Windows 7 Services settings.

gjconker

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
Hi,

I have been trying to maximize the performance of my rig but since I only have 4 gigs of ram and my ancient 1 year old mobo can hardly cut it with Windows 7 (sarcasm intended). So, I have been fiddling with services but I occasionally mess things up and I end up painstakingly trying to reset those service back to their defaults, one at a time. How hard could it be for the Services panel to have a ‘Default” or “Reset” button? So when people like myself (I’m not very smart) mess up a setting, we can simply click “reset” and the ole’, comfy, default services fix my screwup..

Are there other ways to do this other than the aforementioned “by hand” method. Software? Utilities? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Greg

btk1w1

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
Take a look at WinPatrol... I've mentioned it so many times here regulars will think I have stakeholders interest... lol

But seriously I have been a BIG fan for years and just can't fault the application.

You can maximise the efficiency of your system with it. Cusomise nearly every aspect of start-up and hidden start-up entries.

As it runs resident it does use system resources but they are very very minimal.

Oh yeah and it's freeware:

http://www.winpatrol.com/

WinPatrol by BillP Studios.

See, there's this new invention called a virtual machine for you to play around with this stuff so you don't mess up your production system. :sarcasm:

But seriously, you should consider using something like VMware Player (version 3 can create VM images) to mess around with this stuff first to see what will break. I know it won't replicate exactly to your production environment, but should at least give you a good idea of what to expect.