Strategic Command 2 - New screenshots!!!

von Schmidt schreef:

> I fully agree - the squares, isometric view and semi-3d figurines make
> this look like a cheap Civ2 clone.

>From what I remember from this debate that raged over a year ago at the
Battlefront forum the 3D-figurines can be replaced by Nato symbols, but
we are stuck with the squares and the isometric view. Practically
nobody thought this was "A Good Idea (tm)" at the time, but the sheer
number of features scheduled for 2.0 coupled with the realization that
this is probably going to be the most moddable wargame ever have
converted a lot of sceptics.

I think the isometrics and squares are/were an attempt to widen the
audience with this "Civilization" look.

Now, if Mr. Cater just manages to finish it before X-Mas I'll be very
happy.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Keyser Soze wrote:
> <eddysterckx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > I think the isometrics and squares are/were an attempt to widen the
> > audience with this "Civilization" look.
> >

> That too but Hubert's main reason for squares was possibility to enlarge
> map. He said that.

And that cannot be done with hexes on a 2D map?
Surely there is a misunderstanding here somewhere...

Re NATO symbols: those would be the tombstone-like isometric vertical
slabs then, yes?
Might be the first game where NATO icons look nastier than figurines.

No matter though, based on SC1 I'm getting this unless the early
reviews/usenet msgs indicate some really nasty (design) issues.

von Schmidt

> We're going to have to start calling the original, STRATEGIC COMMAND
> *CLASSIC*.

I've been sorta thinking that for awhile now. When I broke the CD, I
wanted to make sure I got another before 2 came out.

--

Epi

------------
It seems quite amazing to me that so many people
wish to harm part of what a symbol stands for in
order to protect the symbol.
------------
http://www.curlesneck.com

> Might be the first game where NATO icons look nastier than figurines.

Have you played Hearts of Iron?

--

Epi

------------

"Keyser Soze" <info@info.com> wrote in news:da3ptq$mhk$1@ss405.t-com.hr:

> <eddysterckx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I think the isometrics and squares are/were an attempt to widen the
>> audience with this "Civilization" look.
>>

> That too but Hubert's main reason for squares was possibility to
enlarge
> map. He said that.

Doubt it, mathematically a hexagonal grid and isometric squares are
identical in the data-storage sense, both are 2-dimensional structures.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

--
"Ceterum censeo Belgicam delendam."
(Cato, 'Pro Gerolphe')

"von Schmidt" <von_schmidt@mail.com> wrote in message

>> > I think the isometrics and squares are/were an attempt to widen the
>> > audience with this "Civilization" look.

What is wrong with Civilization look? Game doesn't have to be bad if it have
nice graphic and civilization 3 graphic is nice. Look for instance Panzer
General 2 game - nice graphic and GREAT game. Gameplay is what is most
important but if game have bad graphic it is minus also to my opinion.

>> That too but Hubert's main reason for squares was possibility to enlarge
>> map. He said that.

> And that cannot be done with hexes on a 2D map?
> Surely there is a misunderstanding here somewhere...

Same thing with hexes. I like hexes but squares work fine in Civ3. I hope
they will work fine in SC2.

> Re NATO symbols: those would be the tombstone-like isometric vertical
> slabs then, yes?
> Might be the first game where NATO icons look nastier than figurines.

This issue with NATO symbols I never understand. Why NATO symbols? In World
War 2 time NATO didn't even exist. To my opinion Hubert did not have to
implement it at all in SC2.

"Keyser Soze" <info@info.com> wrote in news:da5ci2$r6o$1@ss405.t-com.hr:

> "von Schmidt" <von_schmidt@mail.com> wrote in message

> What is wrong with Civilization look?

Nothing - the double quotes were just ment to indicate that not only the
Civilization game has them. Don't read anything into it.

>> Re NATO symbols: those would be the tombstone-like isometric vertical
>> slabs then, yes?
>> Might be the first game where NATO icons look nastier than figurines.
>
> This issue with NATO symbols I never understand. Why NATO symbols? In
> World War 2 time NATO didn't even exist. To my opinion Hubert did not
> have to implement it at all in SC2.

They're called NATO symbols but they're actually a lot older - dating
back to Napoleonic times and maybe even before (not the one for nuclear
sub of course). If you're used to them it makes it a lot easier to
distinguish units from each other - unless you play a particular game so
often that the game's inherent graphical units become second nature.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

--
"Ceterum censeo Belgicam delendam."
(Cato, 'Pro Gerolphe')

While taking a short break from the daily grind of enslavement and
world domination, Eddy Sterckx mentioned

>"Keyser Soze" <info@info.com> wrote in news:da5ci2$r6o$1@ss405.t-com.hr:
>

>> "von Schmidt" <von_schmidt@mail.com> wrote in message

>> What is wrong with Civilization look?
>
>Nothing - the double quotes were just ment to indicate that not only the
>Civilization game has them. Don't read anything into it.
>

>>> Re NATO symbols: those would be the tombstone-like isometric vertical
>>> slabs then, yes?
>>> Might be the first game where NATO icons look nastier than figurines.
>>
>> This issue with NATO symbols I never understand. Why NATO symbols? In
>> World War 2 time NATO didn't even exist. To my opinion Hubert did not
>> have to implement it at all in SC2.
>
>They're called NATO symbols but they're actually a lot older - dating
>back to Napoleonic times and maybe even before (not the one for nuclear
>sub of course). If you're used to them it makes it a lot easier to
>distinguish units from each other - unless you play a particular game so
>often that the game's inherent graphical units become second nature.
>
>Greetz,
>
>Eddy Sterckx

And, of course, the NATO sytem standardises the previous systems which
were different in detail. The US, UK and German symbols of WWII varied
from each other but post-WWII most of the German symbols were adopted
and incorporated into the NATO system.

I think the first use of a tactical symbol system was in the originnal
19thC German kriegspiel.
..
..
"When in danger or in doubt,
Run in circles, scream and shout"
..
It's not just a management tool,
It's a philosophy for living!!
..

"Eddy Sterckx" <eddysterckx@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> They're called NATO symbols but they're actually a lot older - dating
> back to Napoleonic times and maybe even before (not the one for nuclear
> sub of course). If you're used to them it makes it a lot easier to
> distinguish units from each other - unless you play a particular game so
> often that the game's inherent graphical units become second nature.
>
> Greetz,
>
> Eddy Sterckx
>
> --
> "Ceterum censeo Belgicam delendam."
> (Cato, 'Pro Gerolphe')

Maybe in some games people need this symbols but in SC2 screenshots there
are very clear and identifiable icons, sprites (what ever) for units.If
someone can't recognize them, he or she have a problem with eyesight ;-)

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 10:23:17 +0200, "Keyser Soze" <info@info.com>
wrote:

>http://www.battlefront.com/

gar-BAGE

In article <vl0lc11vpqq8jauqjf08sf0m148831kpn5@4ax.com>,
Josephfromri@yahoo.com says...
> On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 10:23:17 +0200, "Keyser Soze" <info@info.com>
> wrote:
>
> >http://www.battlefront.com/
> >
> gar-BAGE

Very insightful. I especially like the way you separated the gar and
BAGE. You also did the second part in all-caps. Very creative.

Just having a little fun. Don't get too upset.

--

Epi

------------
When I was young, you'd look at the sky at night,
and it was unbelievable how many stars there were
up there. I used to love to look at the stars.
Now I look up and don't see one.
------------
http://www.curlesneck.com

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 08:34:41 +0200, "Keyser Soze" <info@info.com>
wrote:
>"von Schmidt" <von_schmidt@mail.com> wrote in message

>What is wrong with Civilization look? Game doesn't have to be bad if it have
>nice graphic and civilization 3 graphic is nice. Look for instance Panzer
>General 2 game - nice graphic and GREAT game. Gameplay is what is most
>important but if game have bad graphic it is minus also to my opinion.

pretty graphics do not equal good graphics. the graphics that can give
me the most info on a unit and terrain and are easy to discern are the
best graphics IMO.

<Josephfromri@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 10:23:17 +0200, "Keyser Soze" <info@info.com>
> wrote:
>
>>http://www.battlefront.com/
>>
> gar-BAGE

You can't say that something is garbage until you try it. It is ridiculous.

> Merde!

I guess that's how the French pronounce it. How is it done in China?

--

Epi

Keyser Soze schreef:
> >> Yes, I agree. Just about as ridiculous as "Keyser Soze".
> >
> > You mean the name of a ruthless strategic thinking criminal mastermind
> > isn't a good nick in here ? :)
> >

> He didn't see the movie, obviously.

For everyones education : "The Usual Suspects" - best gangster movie
ever

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx