portable recording with my laptop....

Last response: in Home Audio
a b D Laptop
March 30, 2005 4:44:41 PM

Hello,
I'm trying to use my Dell laptop X200 as a portable recording device.
I want to set it up to record my bassoon playing to send for auditions
for grad school, and also for personal recordings. I was wondering 3
things.

1) Is the Audigy 2 notebook a good sound card for a laptop? Are there
any that are better but similairly priced? I'm guessing recording with
the Audigy 2 notebook is better than using my internal sound card?

2) can anyone reccommend a good microphone for under $100 that is as
small as these:
http://www.minidisco.com/single-point-stereo-mics.html

3) for recording on my laptop, is software like Audigy good enough? I
dont think I need any multitrack, synthesized or what-not options
software, I'm just wondering if some software will actually record the
sound better than others. I also have heard about KRISTAL software
which is free.

thanks all.

:o
March 30, 2005 8:10:59 PM

On 3/30/2005 2:44 PM, Aaron D. wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm trying to use my Dell laptop X200 as a portable recording device.
> I want to set it up to record my bassoon playing to send for auditions
> for grad school, and also for personal recordings. I was wondering 3
> things.
>
> 1) Is the Audigy 2 notebook a good sound card for a laptop? Are there
> any that are better but similairly priced? I'm guessing recording with
> the Audigy 2 notebook is better than using my internal sound card?
>
> 2) can anyone reccommend a good microphone for under $100 that is as
> small as these:
> http://www.minidisco.com/single-point-stereo-mics.html
>
> 3) for recording on my laptop, is software like Audigy good enough? I
> dont think I need any multitrack, synthesized or what-not options
> software, I'm just wondering if some software will actually record the
> sound better than others. I also have heard about KRISTAL software
> which is free.
>

> thanks all.
>
> :o

Check out Audacity. It is GPL.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 31, 2005 12:39:21 AM

In article <1112215481.314811.124730@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> MAGIC5227@gmail.com writes:

> 1) Is the Audigy 2 notebook a good sound card for a laptop?

Not particularly, but it's OK for someone who isn't an audio
perfectionist.

> Are there any that are better but similairly priced?

Probably. Have you been shopping at a music store, or even a web site
yet? What's the price? What are the features? What features do you
need?

> I'm guessing recording with
> the Audigy 2 notebook is better than using my internal sound card?

Almost certainly.

> 2) can anyone reccommend a good microphone for under $100 that is as
> small as these:
> http://www.minidisco.com/single-point-stereo-mics.html

No, but that's the sort of thing that you get for $100 or less. Not
sure of the price, but the Audio Technica Pro24 is their inexpensive
single-point stereo mic and their mics, across the board, are quite
good, particularly at their price points. Their AT822 is quite decent,
but it's around $250.

One thing you need to pay attention to is the type of input connector
on whatever audio interface you get, the type of connector on the
microphone (most of the mics in the class you're seeking have attached
cables), and whether the mic requires phantom power (most in your
price range don't, but some have a battery, some use plug-in power).
There are plenty of adapaters available but you need to know what you
need.

> 3) for recording on my laptop, is software like Audigy good enough?

Oh, probably. I like Audacity, and it's free.

a b D Laptop
March 31, 2005 2:25:48 AM

Why don't you just spend an hour or two at your local recording studio?
Best equipment in the world + best mics in the world + best tuned room in
the world = great recording and ultimately savings $ $ $.

Thanks

IS

"Aaron D." <MAGIC5227@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I'm trying to use my Dell laptop X200 as a portable recording device.
> I want to set it up to record my bassoon playing to send for auditions
> for grad school, and also for personal recordings. I was wondering 3
> things.
>
> 1) Is the Audigy 2 notebook a good sound card for a laptop? Are there
> any that are better but similairly priced? I'm guessing recording with
> the Audigy 2 notebook is better than using my internal sound card?
>
> 2) can anyone reccommend a good microphone for under $100 that is as
> small as these:
> http://www.minidisco.com/single-point-stereo-mics.html
>
> 3) for recording on my laptop, is software like Audigy good enough? I
> dont think I need any multitrack, synthesized or what-not options
> software, I'm just wondering if some software will actually record the
> sound better than others. I also have heard about KRISTAL software
> which is free.
>

> thanks all.
>
> :o

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 31, 2005 2:25:49 AM

IS wrote:
> Why don't you just spend an hour or two at your local recording studio?
> Best equipment in the world + best mics in the world + best tuned room in
> the world = great recording and ultimately savings $ $ $.

Might be true if he lives in certain neighborhoods of LA, NY, or London.
Not true in most cities--though if you change "best in the world" to
"better than you can afford to own" it probably works.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 6, 2005 4:46:49 PM

Aaron D. <MAGIC5227@gmail.com> wrote:

>1) Is the Audigy 2 notebook a good sound card for a laptop? Are there
>any that are better but similairly priced? I'm guessing recording with
>the Audigy 2 notebook is better than using my internal sound card?

Like all of Creative Labs' products, it's not bit-for-bit accurate when
doing data transfers. You can do better.

Consider an M-Audio Audiophile USB or Firewire Audiophile.

>2) can anyone reccommend a good microphone for under $100 that is as
>small as these:
>http://www.minidisco.com/single-point-stereo-mics.html

The specs on that mic are wishful.

Single point stereo mics have enough limitations that it makes sense to
consider other alternatives like a set of wearable binaural mics or a
pair of small, good quality cards on a T-bar. Spend a little more and
get lots more sound quality.

Even the $75 each MXL or SP mics from your local Guitar Center or Sam
Ash would be better.

Our CS Binaurals would have much wider dynamic range, lower distortion,
better stereo and binaural imaging, and lower self-noise.

>3) for recording on my laptop, is software like Audigy good enough? I
>dont think I need any multitrack, synthesized or what-not options
>software, I'm just wondering if some software will actually record the
>sound better than others. I also have heard about KRISTAL software
>which is free.

You can do better with no more expense, both software and hardware.

For software try Audacity, or perhaps an old version of Cool Edit Pro,
Wave Lab or Sound Forge. You can get them for almost nothing.

"Good enough" is defined by what's acceptable to your ears. An Audigy
wouldn't be acceptable for me, but perhaps it would be for you.

moskowit@core-sound.com Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912
!