Crown of Glory?

How is it? Worth buying? Thanks very much.

Zee...
22 answers Last reply
More about crown glory
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    In article <tdnxe.2220$aY6.186@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
    noone@nohow.net says...
    > How is it? Worth buying? Thanks very much.
    >

    > Zee..

    I just got it. It looks good, but it's really too early for me to say.
    Looks like kind of what I always wanted from a Napoleonic game.
    Strategically anyway. Definitely one you need to read the rules for.
    94 pages. At least I haven't noticed much of "to quit the game, left-
    click on the button that says Quit."

    It's a mixture of building your provinces up economically, diplomacy,
    and moving your troops and battling.

    --

    Epi

    ------------
    It seems quite amazing to me that so many people
    wish to harm part of what a symbol stands for in
    order to protect the symbol.
    ------------
    http://www.curlesneck.com
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 03:58:09 GMT, Epi <epicat1212@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >I just got it. It looks good, but it's really too early for me to say.
    >Looks like kind of what I always wanted from a Napoleonic game.
    >Strategically anyway. Definitely one you need to read the rules for.
    >94 pages. At least I haven't noticed much of "to quit the game, left-
    >click on the button that says Quit."
    >
    >It's a mixture of building your provinces up economically, diplomacy,
    >and moving your troops and battling.

    Is it ridiculously complex? I hated the strategic layer of the Total
    War series, and I'm pretty sure I'd hate EU, although I haven't played
    it. This one looks like it just has too much going on for my liking.
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    "Michael A. Oberly" <kitch@SPAMOFF columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 03:58:09 GMT, Epi <epicat1212@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I just got it. It looks good, but it's really too early for me to say.
    >>Looks like kind of what I always wanted from a Napoleonic game.
    >>Strategically anyway. Definitely one you need to read the rules for.
    >>94 pages. At least I haven't noticed much of "to quit the game, left-
    >>click on the button that says Quit."
    >>
    >>It's a mixture of building your provinces up economically, diplomacy,
    >>and moving your troops and battling.
    >
    > Is it ridiculously complex? I hated the strategic layer of the Total
    > War series, and I'm pretty sure I'd hate EU, although I haven't played
    > it. This one looks like it just has too much going on for my liking.

    If you didn't like the strat level of TW, CoG isn't your game.
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    In article <uhpcc11kt3cht7q0pkjf7id46p5umcrr10@4ax.com>, kitch@SPAMOFF
    says...
    > On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 03:58:09 GMT, Epi <epicat1212@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I just got it. It looks good, but it's really too early for me to say.
    > >Looks like kind of what I always wanted from a Napoleonic game.
    > >Strategically anyway. Definitely one you need to read the rules for.
    > >94 pages. At least I haven't noticed much of "to quit the game, left-
    > >click on the button that says Quit."
    > >
    > >It's a mixture of building your provinces up economically, diplomacy,
    > >and moving your troops and battling.
    >
    > Is it ridiculously complex? I hated the strategic layer of the Total
    > War series, and I'm pretty sure I'd hate EU, although I haven't played
    > it. This one looks like it just has too much going on for my liking.

    I'm probably the wrong one to ask about this. I kind of like complexity
    (not difficult) and don't notice it. I like the EU series too.

    While we're talking about this series, why can't people understand that
    Victoria is the best game in the series? People should just admit it
    and move on.

    --

    Epi

    ------------
    It seems quite amazing to me that so many people
    wish to harm part of what a symbol stands for in
    order to protect the symbol.
    ------------
    http://www.curlesneck.com
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    In article <MPG.1d3037b17399d227989746@news.east.earthlink.net>,
    epicat1212@hotmail.com says...
    > In article <uhpcc11kt3cht7q0pkjf7id46p5umcrr10@4ax.com>, kitch@SPAMOFF
    > says...
    > > On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 03:58:09 GMT, Epi <epicat1212@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > >I just got it. It looks good, but it's really too early for me to say.
    > > >Looks like kind of what I always wanted from a Napoleonic game.
    > > >Strategically anyway. Definitely one you need to read the rules for.
    > > >94 pages. At least I haven't noticed much of "to quit the game, left-
    > > >click on the button that says Quit."
    > > >
    > > >It's a mixture of building your provinces up economically, diplomacy,
    > > >and moving your troops and battling.
    > >
    > > Is it ridiculously complex? I hated the strategic layer of the Total
    > > War series, and I'm pretty sure I'd hate EU, although I haven't played
    > > it. This one looks like it just has too much going on for my liking.
    >
    > I'm probably the wrong one to ask about this. I kind of like complexity
    > (not difficult) and don't notice it. I like the EU series too.
    >
    > While we're talking about this series, why can't people understand that
    > Victoria is the best game in the series? People should just admit it
    > and move on.

    I meant:

    (not difficulty)

    --

    Epi

    ------------
    It seems quite amazing to me that so many people
    wish to harm part of what a symbol stands for in
    order to protect the symbol.
    ------------
    http://www.curlesneck.com
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 07:04:22 -0500, "James Cobb"
    <bismarck71@charter.net> wrote:

    >If you didn't like the strat level of TW, CoG isn't your game.

    Thanks. That's probably all I need to know.
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    "Epi" <epicat1212@hotmail.com> skrev i melding

    > While we're talking about this series, why can't people understand that
    > Victoria is the best game in the series? People should just admit it
    > and move on.

    Loved EU & EU2. And spent a lot of time working in the mod-teams who created
    new leaders for HoI. But the "POP-management" destroyed any chance I ever
    had of enjoying Victoria.
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    In article <42c67ec6$0$18647$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>,
    gbjerke@SPAMgmail.com says...

    > "Epi" <epicat1212@hotmail.com> skrev i melding
    > >
    > > While we're talking about this series, why can't people understand that
    > > Victoria is the best game in the series? People should just admit it
    > > and move on.
    > >

    > Loved EU & EU2. And spent a lot of time working in the mod-teams who created
    > new leaders for HoI. But the "POP-management" destroyed any chance I ever
    > had of enjoying Victoria.

    <shrug> A lot of people don't like Victoria. It's my favorite of the
    series. I don't have any inside information, but it might be the first
    major game of the series not to have a second version. That's a shame,
    because they seem to do a real good job the second time around.

    The POP-management doesn't bother me. Part of why I really like it is
    the idea behind it. The idea of managing a country that may or may not
    go to war.

    --

    Epi

    ------------
    It seems quite amazing to me that so many people
    wish to harm part of what a symbol stands for in
    order to protect the symbol.
    ------------
    http://www.curlesneck.com
  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    > <shrug> A lot of people don't like Victoria. It's my favorite of the
    > series. I don't have any inside information, but it might be the first
    > major game of the series not to have a second version. That's a shame,
    > because they seem to do a real good job the second time around.

    It's a game that SHOULD be remade. Because it covers one of the most
    exciting periods of history. Who can resist the American Civil War, German &
    Italian wars of unification at the scramble for Africa etc - all in the same
    game? So I think Victoria could have been a wonderful game if Paradox had
    got everything right.

    But I'm afraid we won't see a Victoria2. The game industry infortunately
    does the same as the movie industry - they remake the succesful games and
    not the unsuccessful ones...
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    While taking a short break from the daily grind of enslavement and
    world domination, Epi mentioned

    >In article <uhpcc11kt3cht7q0pkjf7id46p5umcrr10@4ax.com>, kitch@SPAMOFF
    >says...
    >> On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 03:58:09 GMT, Epi <epicat1212@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I just got it. It looks good, but it's really too early for me to say.
    >> >Looks like kind of what I always wanted from a Napoleonic game.
    >> >Strategically anyway. Definitely one you need to read the rules for.
    >> >94 pages. At least I haven't noticed much of "to quit the game, left-
    >> >click on the button that says Quit."
    >> >
    >> >It's a mixture of building your provinces up economically, diplomacy,
    >> >and moving your troops and battling.
    >>
    >> Is it ridiculously complex? I hated the strategic layer of the Total
    >> War series, and I'm pretty sure I'd hate EU, although I haven't played
    >> it. This one looks like it just has too much going on for my liking.
    >
    >I'm probably the wrong one to ask about this. I kind of like complexity
    >(not difficult) and don't notice it. I like the EU series too.
    >
    >While we're talking about this series, why can't people understand that
    >Victoria is the best game in the series? People should just admit it
    >and move on.

    OK you've got MY attention.

    The rest of the thread seems to indicate (vague there, hedging my bets
    a bit) that EU-Victoria is a high-strategic or operational level
    economic/combat civil/military country management game.

    What I'd like to know is, what does EU stand for, so that I can search
    for a copy?

    I'm another TW (that one I know!) enthusiast so I'm comfortable with
    the economic/strategic as well as the tactical/battle level. Just
    finished a game of TW:Shogun:TMI (solo) as Hojo (Expert Level)
    starting at 1530. (Ended up with a squad of three Geisha roaming and
    assassinating at will. Grunts, groans and blood everywhere!)
    ..
    ..
    "When in danger or in doubt,
    Run in circles, scream and shout"
    ..
    It's not just a management tool,
    It's a philosophy for living!!
    ..
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    In article <p4rgc15fnhom5tbb22qdstp5b9a955a47p@4ax.com>,
    not@thistime.net says...
    > While taking a short break from the daily grind of enslavement and
    > world domination, Epi mentioned
    >
    > >In article <uhpcc11kt3cht7q0pkjf7id46p5umcrr10@4ax.com>, kitch@SPAMOFF
    > >says...

    > >> Is it ridiculously complex? I hated the strategic layer of the Total
    > >> War series, and I'm pretty sure I'd hate EU, although I haven't played
    > >> it. This one looks like it just has too much going on for my liking.
    > >
    > >I'm probably the wrong one to ask about this. I kind of like complexity
    > >(not difficult) and don't notice it. I like the EU series too.
    > >
    > >While we're talking about this series, why can't people understand that
    > >Victoria is the best game in the series? People should just admit it
    > >and move on.
    >
    > OK you've got MY attention.
    >
    > The rest of the thread seems to indicate (vague there, hedging my bets
    > a bit) that EU-Victoria is a high-strategic or operational level
    > economic/combat civil/military country management game.
    >
    > What I'd like to know is, what does EU stand for, so that I can search
    > for a copy?
    >
    > I'm another TW (that one I know!) enthusiast so I'm comfortable with
    > the economic/strategic as well as the tactical/battle level. Just
    > finished a game of TW:Shogun:TMI (solo) as Hojo (Expert Level)
    > starting at 1530. (Ended up with a squad of three Geisha roaming and
    > assassinating at will. Grunts, groans and blood everywhere!)
    > .
    > .
    > "When in danger or in doubt,
    > Run in circles, scream and shout"
    > .
    > It's not just a management tool,
    > It's a philosophy for living!!

    EU stands for Europa Universalis. You'd want to get Europa Universalis
    II.

    --

    Epi

    ------------
    When I was young, you'd look at the sky at night,
    and it was unbelievable how many stars there were
    up there. I used to love to look at the stars.
    Now I look up and don't see one.
    ------------
    http://www.curlesneck.com
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    "Mr. Zee" <noone@nohow.net> skrev i melding

    > How is it? Worth buying? Thanks very much.

    Looks like a great game so far. However I have experienced some problems:

    1) You cannot save during the middle of a tactical battle.
    2) The tactical battles takes quite some time
    3) The game have a tendency to crash during those long unsaveable tactical
    battles.

    Let's hope a patch can sort this out.
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    You hit on my biggest complaint to date. You can't save during the battles,
    and they can take a long time. Because of that, I haven't played much as I
    haven't been able to find the time where I can play the whole battle (plus I
    have a feeling I can't save until the entire move is over).

    "Gustav Bjerke" <gbjerke@SPAMgmail.com> wrote in message

    > "Mr. Zee" <noone@nohow.net> skrev i melding
    >>
    >> How is it? Worth buying? Thanks very much.
    >>

    > Looks like a great game so far. However I have experienced some problems:
    >
    > 1) You cannot save during the middle of a tactical battle.
    > 2) The tactical battles takes quite some time
    > 3) The game have a tendency to crash during those long unsaveable tactical
    > battles.
    >
    > Let's hope a patch can sort this out.

  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    While taking a short break from the daily grind of enslavement and
    world domination, Epi mentioned

    >EU stands for Europa Universalis. You'd want to get Europa Universalis
    >II.

    Thanks Epi, haven't heard of it on the stands around here, but I HAVE
    been out of circulation a bit. I shall send out some scouts.
    ..
    ..
    "When in danger or in doubt,
    Run in circles, scream and shout"
    ..
    It's not just a management tool,
    It's a philosophy for living!!
    ..
  15. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    Epi schreef:
    > It's old by now. So, if you want to get it, look in places where you'd
    > find old games.

    NWS has is for $16.99 :

    http://store.yahoo.com/yhst-12000246778232/euuniiandcro.html

    Greetz,

    Eddy Sterckx
  16. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    In article <gubkc1t2btn3olt98lqjs8p98u634jqman@4ax.com>,
    not@thistime.net says...
    > While taking a short break from the daily grind of enslavement and
    > world domination, Epi mentioned
    >
    > >EU stands for Europa Universalis. You'd want to get Europa Universalis
    > >II.
    >

    > Thanks Epi, haven't heard of it on the stands around here, but I HAVE
    > been out of circulation a bit. I shall send out some scouts.
    > .
    > .
    > "When in danger or in doubt,
    > Run in circles, scream and shout"
    > .
    > It's not just a management tool,
    > It's a philosophy for living!!

    It's old by now. So, if you want to get it, look in places where you'd
    find old games.

    --

    Epi

    ------------
    When I was young, you'd look at the sky at night,
    and it was unbelievable how many stars there were
    up there. I used to love to look at the stars.
    Now I look up and don't see one.
    ------------
    http://www.curlesneck.com
  17. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    Bill wrote:
    > You hit on my biggest complaint to date. You can't save during the battles,
    > and they can take a long time. Because of that, I haven't played much as I
    > haven't been able to find the time where I can play the whole battle (plus I
    > have a feeling I can't save until the entire move is over).

    Judging by the bewildered posts on he matrix forum, one gets the
    impression that there's not a whole lot of playin' going on. Despite
    the apparent comprehensiveness of the product, the Fun Factor appears
    absent. Or the learning curve is overwhelming.

    You wonder if the idea to include the hex-based battle module was a
    wise decision. It's a matter of mixing genres; WEGO, mulitplayer
    friendly, strategic and a single player oriented IGO-UGO tactical.
    This hybrid worked, IMO, in the Total War series, because the 3D
    battles were loaded with personality and visceral appeal.

    Empire in Arms, if it ever appears, may prove the winner in this race.
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    In article <1120685014.273090.127400@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
    p.oxford@comcast.net says...

    > Bill wrote:
    > > You hit on my biggest complaint to date. You can't save during the battles,
    > > and they can take a long time. Because of that, I haven't played much as I
    > > haven't been able to find the time where I can play the whole battle (plus I
    > > have a feeling I can't save until the entire move is over).
    > >

    > Judging by the bewildered posts on he matrix forum, one gets the
    > impression that there's not a whole lot of playin' going on. Despite
    > the apparent comprehensiveness of the product, the Fun Factor appears
    > absent. Or the learning curve is overwhelming.
    >
    > You wonder if the idea to include the hex-based battle module was a
    > wise decision. It's a matter of mixing genres; WEGO, mulitplayer
    > friendly, strategic and a single player oriented IGO-UGO tactical.
    > This hybrid worked, IMO, in the Total War series, because the 3D
    > battles were loaded with personality and visceral appeal.
    >
    > Empire in Arms, if it ever appears, may prove the winner in this race.

    You don't have to fight the tactical battles, I don't because I haven't
    got that far through the manual yet.

    --

    Epi

    ------------
    When I was young, you'd look at the sky at night,
    and it was unbelievable how many stars there were
    up there. I used to love to look at the stars.
    Now I look up and don't see one.
    ------------
    http://www.curlesneck.com
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    "Gustav Bjerke" <gbjerke@SPAMgmail.com> wrote in message

    > 1) You cannot save during the middle of a tactical battle.

    They said in the forum that "Save During Detailed Battle" is on the Patch
    list.
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    On 2005-07-02, Michael A Oberly <kitch@SPAMOFF> wrote:

    > Is it ridiculously complex? I hated the strategic layer of the Total
    > War series, and I'm pretty sure I'd hate EU, although I haven't played
    > it. This one looks like it just has too much going on for my liking.

    You thought the strategy of Total War was complex?

    Rome: Total War did get a *little* bit more complex, and it is under the
    hood, but as long as you are careful the economy is simple.

    My beef is mainly that so much could be automated, and that there are
    not enough options for saving a dying economy.

    The EU series is, IMHO, more complex than Total War.

    --
    shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Star Wars Moral Number 17: Teddy bears are
    dangerous in herds."]

    On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 20:11:02 -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix
    <shannon@news.widomaker.com> wrote:

    >On 2005-07-02, Michael A Oberly <kitch@SPAMOFF> wrote:
    >
    >> Is it ridiculously complex? I hated the strategic layer of the Total
    >> War series, and I'm pretty sure I'd hate EU, although I haven't played
    >> it. This one looks like it just has too much going on for my liking.
    >
    >You thought the strategy of Total War was complex?

    I didn't think it was complex per se, just ridiculously complex for
    the lack of payoff. In fact I can't think of any 'strategy on one
    layer and resolve tactical battles on a case by case' games that work
    for me other than very simple strategic layer games such as HOMM or
    Dominions.
  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    "Beezle" <someone@microsoft.com> skrev i melding

    > They said in the forum that "Save During Detailed Battle" is on the Patch
    > list.

    Looks like there will be a special patch out soon that will fix this.

PC gaming Games Video Games