HPS - WWII in Europe - The First Blitzkrieg : review

"Keyser Soze" <info@info.com> wrote in message

> <eddysterckx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> A rather informative review is up at :
>>
>> http://www.strategyzoneonline.com/articles.php?p=477&page=1
>>
>> Greetz,
>>
>> Eddy Sterckx
>>

> It looks good but price is maybe to high for that type of game - to my
> opinion.

http://www.nws-online.net has better prices.

Good. After watching the history channel over the weekend on the
revolutionary war I ordered both titles of the early american wars:) The
other being the french indian war:)

"HR" <HR@horizon.net> wrote in message
> Good. After watching the history channel over the weekend on the
> revolutionary war I ordered both titles of the early american wars:) The
> other being the french indian war:)

Of the 3 the FIW, as the most recent title, is the most mature - best maps,
oob's etc, and takes advantage of several engine improvements introduced
over the years (for example, the campaigns are much fuller with several
branches to pursue in the decision tree).

Make sure you grab the free expansions off the HPS site, as well as browse
the Scenario Design Center http://www.hist-sdc.com/

Mike

"HR" <HR@horizon.net> wrote in message
> Good. After watching the history channel over the weekend on the
> revolutionary war I ordered both titles of the early american wars:) The
> other being the french indian war:)

Let me know how they play?

I have always been interested in the era from a historical perspective but
have been loathe to get into any war games from the period. Especially on a
grander level than squad sized battles.

I have played the HPS games Eagle Strike (sp) and Squad Battles Vietnam both
reasonable squad level representation that gave me good value for my
dollar...

Cheers, Reddog

Will do. These are earlier titles so I'm not expecting much but did want to
see them:)

"Reddogfive" <reddogfivenospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "HR" <HR@horizon.net> wrote in message
>> Good. After watching the history channel over the weekend on the
>> revolutionary war I ordered both titles of the early american wars:) The
>> other being the french indian war:)
>
> Let me know how they play?
>
> I have always been interested in the era from a historical perspective but
> have been loathe to get into any war games from the period. Especially on
> a grander level than squad sized battles.
>
> I have played the HPS games Eagle Strike (sp) and Squad Battles Vietnam
> both reasonable squad level representation that gave me good value for my
> dollar...
>
> Cheers, Reddog

<eddysterckx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> A rather informative review is up at :
>
> http://www.strategyzoneonline.com/articles.php?p=477&page=1
>
> Greetz,
>
> Eddy Sterckx

below is the opening paragraph of their come on. it encompasses what i
always complain about. the game is pushing the romance of one side, games
with nappy frogs and cw rebs do it too. they are the sexy side, most it
seems play against the ai so make it favor the sexy side. too many games
make those sides invincible as if the idea was to feed ego over game
balance. too many games have panzer or rommel or r.e lee in the name over
the years. then the games back up the titles bias.

Have you ever wanted to lead the German panzers on a daring assault deep
into the enemy's rear echelons? Use your Stukas and panzer columns in a
stunning coordinated attack through the front lines and into open country?
Cut supply lines and isolate pockets of slow, demoralized defenders? Have
you ever wanted to throw caution to the wind, ignoring your flanks, and
charge for the enemy's vitals, trusting to your infantry and artillery to
keep your supply lines open and to mop up behind you? Well, HPS have just
brought out a new game intended to give you just that feel.

ray o'hara schreef:

> the game is pushing the romance of one side, games
> with nappy frogs and cw rebs do it too. they are the sexy side, most it
> seems play against the ai so make it favor the sexy side. too many games
> make those sides invincible as if the idea was to feed ego over game
> balance.

The losing side in a big conflict is always the sexy side - why ? -
because one of the attractions of wargaming is that you can "change
history" - This "change history" used to be prominently printed on
(board)game boxes as a marketing slogan - it worked for me :)

> too many games have panzer or rommel or r.e lee in the name over
> the years. then the games back up the titles bias.

The other way around would make no sense would it ? If you buy a game
named "Rommel" you kinda expect a special "Rommel" counter which when
stacked with other units gives it a combat bonus or such.

In other words : you get what you paid for.

I agree that too many wargames seem contend to stick to Napoleon, ACW
and WWII - maybe because these were conflicts in which one side seemed
to be winning, reaching a high tide and then the other side slowly went
to achieve victory. This makes for games in which both players get
their chance to attack - which is more fun than to defend all the time.

There was a thread in soc.history.what-if sometime ago on "most unknown
battle" - did some reading-up based on what was posted there - you
wouldn't believe what scope there still is for very interesting
campaigns/battles outside the Euro/USA popular history books.
Unfortunately : the biggest portion of the buying public for wargames
is situated in Europe/USA hence you will be hard pressed to find a game
on the Taiping Rebellion in China (more deaths than WWII - a seesaw
action - colourfull characters - everything)

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

> There was a thread in soc.history.what-if sometime ago on "most unknown
> battle" - did some reading-up based on what was posted there - you
> wouldn't believe what scope there still is for very interesting
> campaigns/battles outside the Euro/USA popular history books.
> Unfortunately : the biggest portion of the buying public for wargames
> is situated in Europe/USA hence you will be hard pressed to find a game
> on the Taiping Rebellion in China (more deaths than WWII - a seesaw
> action - colourfull characters - everything)
>
> Greetz,
>
> Eddy Sterckx

but just think of all the potential customers out there ..
if you could convert just .005% of the local population into buyers of
wargames, you'd have more customers than you could handle.
then you'd be able to buy up all the Australian war game companies and run
them from Belgium... :)

Bob Lawn schreef:

> but just think of all the potential customers out there ..
> if you could convert just .005% of the local population into buyers of
> wargames, you'd have more customers than you could handle.

0.005 % you say - let's do the math :)

While there might be 800 million Chinese, you really need a pc +
internet access to order / download a wargame.

According to http://www.gizmag.co.uk/go/4223/ the number of internet
users in China has just topped 100 million last week.

0.005 % of 100 million makes 5.000 potential customers - not bad - I'll
start pushing for Chinese user interfaces straight away :)

> then you'd be able to buy up all the Australian war game companies and run
> them from Belgium... :)

I prefer sitting over here and smugly telling them how to run their own
company :)

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx