Best phone to replace Sanyo 4900?

Last response: in Network Providers
April 28, 2005 11:20:39 AM

My Sanyo 4900 is growing old, looks beaten up, and the screen is
scratched. Also, it's larger than I would prefer. What would be the
best replacement from the current Sprint product line?

Key criteria: I've been very pleased with the 4900 because it's robust,
it's been completely trouble-free, it finds a signal where I know for a
fact that other Sprint phone users find little or no signal, and it
supports my occasional use of #777 via Vision for getting e-mail to my
laptop. I need no bells and whistles: I don't care about a phone's
ability to take photos, play MP3s, or do the washing-up.

Also, what would be the best way of obtaining one? I'm a longtime
Sprint user, but have -- and wish to have -- no contract of any kind.

I'm in the Houston, Texas area, if that makes any difference to the
decision ....

What says the newsgroup?

E.J. Bleendreeble
http://www.fergusthemagicbus.com
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 7:33:42 PM

On 28 Apr 2005 07:20:39 -0700, "EJBleendreeble"
<ejbleendreeble@yahoo.com> wrote:

>My Sanyo 4900 is growing old, looks beaten up, and the screen is
>scratched. Also, it's larger than I would prefer. What would be the
>best replacement from the current Sprint product line?

I know a large handful of folks who chose the Sanyo 4920 as a
replacement for the 4500, 4700, or 4900, and each of them seems to be
very satisfied, but that phone may have more bells and whistles than
you'd like.

>Key criteria: I've been very pleased with the 4900 because it's robust,
>it's been completely trouble-free, it finds a signal where I know for a
>fact that other Sprint phone users find little or no signal, and it
>supports my occasional use of #777 via Vision for getting e-mail to my
>laptop. I need no bells and whistles: I don't care about a phone's
>ability to take photos, play MP3s, or do the washing-up.
>
>Also, what would be the best way of obtaining one? I'm a longtime
>Sprint user, but have -- and wish to have -- no contract of any kind.

I hear that Sprint execs are considering doing away with, or somehow
revising, the contract extension rules for long-term customers who are
out of contract. I have no idea of the timing, or even if it will
happen, but it's something to consider. The rationale given was that
if you've been with Sprint long enough for your contract to expire and
you're still with them voluntarily, you are by definition a loyal
customer.

>I'm in the Houston, Texas area, if that makes any difference to the
>decision ....
>
>What says the newsgroup?
>
>E.J. Bleendreeble
>http://www.fergusthemagicbus.com
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 8:37:35 PM

"Paul Miner" <pminer@elrancho.invalid> wrote in message
> On 28 Apr 2005 07:20:39 -0700, "EJBleendreeble"
> <ejbleendreeble@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >My Sanyo 4900 is growing old, looks beaten up, and the screen is
> >scratched. Also, it's larger than I would prefer. What would be the
> >best replacement from the current Sprint product line?
>
> I know a large handful of folks who chose the Sanyo 4920 as a
> replacement for the 4500, 4700, or 4900, and each of them seems to be
> very satisfied, but that phone may have more bells and whistles than
> you'd like.
>
> >Key criteria: I've been very pleased with the 4900 because it's robust,
> >it's been completely trouble-free, it finds a signal where I know for a
> >fact that other Sprint phone users find little or no signal, and it
> >supports my occasional use of #777 via Vision for getting e-mail to my
> >laptop. I need no bells and whistles: I don't care about a phone's
> >ability to take photos, play MP3s, or do the washing-up.
> >
> >Also, what would be the best way of obtaining one? I'm a longtime
> >Sprint user, but have -- and wish to have -- no contract of any kind.
>
> I hear that Sprint execs are considering doing away with, or somehow
> revising, the contract extension rules for long-term customers who are
> out of contract. I have no idea of the timing, or even if it will
> happen, but it's something to consider. The rationale given was that
> if you've been with Sprint long enough for your contract to expire and
> you're still with them voluntarily, you are by definition a loyal
> customer.
>
> >I'm in the Houston, Texas area, if that makes any difference to the
> >decision ....
> >
> >What says the newsgroup?

What's SPCS CS said about your request?

Bob
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 11:43:41 PM

EJBleendreeble wrote:
> My Sanyo 4900 is growing old, looks beaten up, and the screen is
> scratched. Also, it's larger than I would prefer. What would be the
> best replacement from the current Sprint product line?

The 4920. Smaller form factor, but has the same general shape and
features of the 4900.

> Also, what would be the best way of obtaining one? I'm a longtime
> Sprint user, but have -- and wish to have -- no contract of any kind.

You could pay full price for the phone, and I beleive you can then not
have to deal with a new contract.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.