Treo 600 now or wait?

June 29, 2004 3:02:36 PM

I am thinking about the Treo 600, but it seems every review says the
resolution should be better and a lot of the apps written for the higher
resolution Tungsten will not work correctly. Does anyone know if Palm is
planning on releasing a newer version of the 600 with a higher resolution? I
am currently using apps on the Tungsten that I am sure would not look good
in the lower resolution Treo. Any insights would be great. Thanks!!

More about : treo 600 wait

Anonymous
June 29, 2004 9:02:35 PM

In article <10e34ks5ghp5m2f@news.supernews.com>,
Dan J.S. <me@hyperx.com> wrote:
>I am thinking about the Treo 600, but it seems every review says the
>resolution should be better and a lot of the apps written for the higher
>resolution Tungsten will not work correctly. Does anyone know if Palm is
>planning on releasing a newer version of the 600 with a higher resolution? I
>am currently using apps on the Tungsten that I am sure would not look good
>in the lower resolution Treo. Any insights would be great. Thanks!!

There have been rumors of a 610 model for some months now,
but I haven't heard anything for awhile.

Anyone else?

- Tim

June 29, 2004 9:02:36 PM

It was a time of great turmoil. The strong preyed on the weak, dogs
and cats lived together. One voice cried out in the wilderness:
SPAMBLOCKER@BLOCKEDTOAVOIDSPAM.com (Spammay Blockay) wrote in
<cbs7ba$9a9$1@bolt.sonic.net>:

> In article <10e34ks5ghp5m2f@news.supernews.com>,
> Dan J.S. <me@hyperx.com> wrote:
> >I am thinking about the Treo 600, but it seems every review says the
> >resolution should be better and a lot of the apps written for the higher
> >resolution Tungsten will not work correctly. Does anyone know if Palm is
> >planning on releasing a newer version of the 600 with a higher resolution? I
> >am currently using apps on the Tungsten that I am sure would not look good
> >in the lower resolution Treo. Any insights would be great. Thanks!!
>
> There have been rumors of a 610 model for some months now,
> but I haven't heard anything for awhile.

The first grainy photographs of it have been making the rounds of the
PDA new sites recently. It looks like it will feature improved
resolution, bluetooth, an improved keyboard with dedicated "call" and
"hang up" keys and a few other tweaks. It looks very tempting but is
probably still a few months away. As for the 600, a lot of the apps
that were breaking under its lower resolution (mostly games and MP3
players that used high resolution skins for their UI) have been
updated to work with it.

I guess it all depends on how long you want to wait. I personally
decided to hang on to my Treo 270 when the 600 came out and feel that
I can wait for the upgraded 610 (or whatever they call the new Treo).

--
Roberto Castillo
robertocastillo@ameritech.net

<me@hyperx.com> wrote:

> I am thinking about the Treo 600, but it seems every review says the
> resolution should be better and a lot of the apps written for the higher
> resolution Tungsten will not work correctly. Does anyone know if Palm is
> planning on releasing a newer version of the 600 with a higher resolution? I
> am currently using apps on the Tungsten that I am sure would not look good
> in the lower resolution Treo. Any insights would be great. Thanks!!

Your concerns can be addressed now by contacting the developers for the
apps you *think* might have trouble with the Treo 600.

As for the quality of the resolution, take a look and decide for yourself.
That is, is it good enough for you? If it is, then don't worry about other
people.
Anonymous
June 30, 2004 10:05:41 AM

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 11:02:36 -0500, "Dan J.S." <me@hyperx.com> spewed forth
these words of wisdom:

>I am thinking about the Treo 600, but it seems every review says the
>resolution should be better and a lot of the apps written for the higher
>resolution Tungsten will not work correctly. Does anyone know if Palm is
>planning on releasing a newer version of the 600 with a higher resolution? I
>am currently using apps on the Tungsten that I am sure would not look good
>in the lower resolution Treo. Any insights would be great. Thanks!!

I would definitely wait. From what I have read, the new one will have 320 x 320
and Bluetooth, plus a couple extra control buttons for the phone portion. It
could be ready as soon as July, but most likely will be a few months.
http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=6936

Galley
Anonymous
June 30, 2004 7:39:11 PM

If I were you, I would probably wait until the new Treo which is
supposedly going to have a higher resolution screen and bluetooth
while keeping all the exisiting features (camera, PDA, keyboard, etc.)

I'm getting my information about the new Treo from the following link:
http://mytreo.net/news/archives/000064.html

However, after writing this, I don't see myself buying the new Treo
because I'm very satisfied with my current Treo 600 which is unlocked
and only about 3 months old. The bluetooth feature and the higher
resolution doesn't really entice me to sell my Treo 600 and buy the
new Treo. All the other features listed in the above webpage also
don't entice me to upgrade my current Treo 600. If they would
incorporate WiFi network access, that might be another story...

!