Determining cause of system slowdown

Junk87

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
Ive spent the last few weeks trying to figure out why my pc has slowed down so much since it was purchased about 2 years ago. When i open nearly any program it takes about 5 seconds to even appear then sits at not responding until it manages to load properly. Gaming has been affected by this, as textures cannot load fast enough and cause massive FPS drops. Especially in SWTOR.

So far ive ruled out the following.

Registry issues
Viruses/malware etc
Hard drive errors/fragmenting

I could use help figuring out what is wrong, and perhaps some programs to test my hardware performance and see if something is causing the slow down. I take pretty good care of my PC and clean it regularly inside of Windows and inside the actual tower. Its starting to really bug me that i cant find a cause.

Junk87

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
I really didn't want to format and reinstall Windows, i will lose the many tweaks and changes ive made to my system over the years. Most of them i don't even remember.

So if my performance issues continue after a wipe and fresh install where do i go from there?

Junk87

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
Its currently at 1.5 gigs used, most of that is firefox. Ive been running hard drive tests since it seems to get worse with more programs running like it just cant keep up. Its a shadow of the performance i used to get while multi tasking.

Hard drive tests come out normal though. I "supposedly" defrag my MFT/registry/pagefile often but who knows if these third party defrag programs actually do anything useful.

Junk87

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
Yeah that was one of the first things i tried to improve my slow texture loading during gaming.

It didn't appear to do much, but i havent noticed a negative impact either.

Edit: Total ram is 4 gigs.

Junk87

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
Yes, but the slow program startup and poor multitasking performance was there before i disabled it.

I really think something is wrong with my hard drive. It speed tests at average for an HDD but when something is using it heavily every other program slows to a crawl.

During gaming it will constantly access my pagefile even though i have plenty of RAM remaining and cause massive FPS drops and slow texture loading. Its like it just cant keep up with what im doing, but the speed tests come back fine.

It makes no sense to me.

K-beam

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011

I had such a problem on a laptop - 4 years old. No issues shown with HDD test programs, but extremely laggy, to the point where Win XP loaded in 5 min and opening a browser took 3 min. The way to check is to rule out HDD issues - simply use a Linux bootable CD. I used Puppy Linux that writes nothing on your HDD and loads everything in RAM. The laptop runs it ever since and I did not even bother to swap the HDD (it is mainly used for simple browsing and movie watching).
So the best way to check if it is the HDD - use a linux bootable live CD.