Sign in with
Your question

New PSU. Which one?

Last response: in Components
April 30, 2003 12:14:28 PM

I currently have a Chieftec 340W PSU (and case) with a A7N8X, Athlon 2400+ @ 2250MHz, 1GB Twinmos DDR400 1HDD 5400rpm, 2CD-RW and a 120mm case fan. In the future I'm thinking of buying a radeon 9800 pro, 7200 rpm HDD and a barton (by this order) but first I would like to upgrade my PSU and continue overclocking (2500MHz is the dream). With this config, I have no stability problems, but my +12V and +5V are in the +/- 5% limit. I want my computer quiet and powerfull (by this order) and I also have problems finding good and cheap PSU (I live in Europe...), so if anyone could help me...

P.S.: the best PSU I found that I can buy are here: http://www.aquapc.com/aquapc_psu.html (the page is in portuguese, but all you need to check is the PSU model)

More about : psu

April 30, 2003 2:27:08 PM

I would go for the Enermax, I don't know the other brands but Enermax is one of the best PSU makers.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek: 
April 30, 2003 3:01:34 PM

Based on that selection set and the your list of wants. I say the last two on the page will be more than enough for what you are dreaming to do.

26A and 33A on the +12V will make you a happy man for a long while. Plus both have the temperature controlled fans as to help with the noise levels you are seeking.

Hey Svol,

Any word on coming to America for MML2?

<A HREF="http://www.millionmanlan.com/MMLDefault.asp" target="_new">Million Man LAN 2 is June 25-29, 2003 in Louisville Kentucky... Be there!</A>
Related resources
April 30, 2003 6:36:10 PM

I can't... I get my diploma from my school on the 25th. :frown:

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek: 
April 30, 2003 8:29:01 PM

Just do what I had done in college... have it mailed.

I am sure that your family wouldn't go for that option though.

<A HREF="http://www.millionmanlan.com/MMLDefault.asp" target="_new">Million Man LAN 2 is June 25-29, 2003 in Louisville Kentucky... Be there!</A>
May 1, 2003 1:24:13 AM

I don't know what brands are available to you, but I don't see any of the best power supplies at that web site, only Enermax (OK but nobody thinks they're the best), Kingwin, and TSP. The best would include Antec TruePower (Channel Wells without a +3.3V/+5.0V combined power rating are the same, some with model numbers ending in ADP), Delta, Astec, Fortron (Source, Powerman, Sparkle, Aopen, Trend), and HEC (Heroichi, Compucase).
May 1, 2003 12:55:11 PM

LOL... I don't think my parents will like that, and it wouldn't be nice to the teacher who is going to give it to me.

And even more important: there is a big graduation party in the weekend of that week.

May 2, 2003 12:35:43 PM

Congrats on your Graduation....

Any man can withstand adversity...The true test of character is to give a man power <i>Abraham Lincoln</i>
May 2, 2003 1:00:35 PM

Wow wow not so fast... I have to do exams in May first (although it is as good as impossible to fail for them).

May 3, 2003 12:31:09 PM

No no... I knocked on wood three times when I typed that, see:
*knock**knock**knock*

Now I'm all safe. *knock**knock**knock*

!