Just got a Western Digital JB 8mb drive....SWEET

smitbret

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
Officemax was selling WD 120GB hard drives for 69.99 after $80 rebate. I had just missed the last one, so they whipped out the "new" 8mb version that would replace the old 2mb version with and sold it to me at the 2mb price. I installed it as my system drive, replacing my 2 20gb Seagate Barracuda's that I had in a RAID 0 setup. I am loving it. The most noticeable difference is the decreased seek times. No more lag when I double click or load a file and it seems just as fast (Windows XP). If you ain't got one of these, get one. Sorry I waited so long.

My question....I'd replace my two 60gb Maxtor Diamondmax 9's in a RAID 0 with one of these if I didn't use them as the scratch disk in Photoshop. Or would I see a performance difference? Anyone.
-Brett

Javic

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2002
Hmmm... you might be in a bit of a bind with that Rebate now though. Think about it. WD is going to be expecting the UPC Code from a 2MB version (WD1200BB) of the 120GB drive, and you have a UPC code from the 8MB version (WD1200JB). They will most likely think that you're trying to pull a fast one and get an extra $80, and deny your rebate. Sorry to rain on your parade, but its very likely.

Otherwise, you still got an AWESOME drive, I personally have 14 of the WD Special Edition drives and love them all.

Javic

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2002
Seriously man, do that. I've done it numerous times. Almost every drive I have I've gotten with rebates, and whenever there's a good rebate I buy 2 or 3 of them. I just buy them all on separate receipts and then send a receipt and the UPC code to a relative and say "mail this for me" :). Works every time.

smitbret

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
I'm going to check it out tonite. But the question I would like to have answered is whether or not the WD JB120 would have any performance increase over a pair of Maxtor Diamonmax 9s in a RAID setup. I store some of my larger archived files on the setup, but I also use it as my Photoshop scratch disk. WOuld I get better performance from the JB120 or the 2 Maxtors in a RAID 0?

smitbret

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
I'm using the RAIDed Maxtors (they're not the pluses, just 2mb cache) right now, just wondering if there would be performance increasing from replacing them.
-Brett

LumberJack

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
Yes... there would be a marginal increase but not that great. depends how much burst access you are doing on that raid...

To err is human... to really screw things up you need a computer!