Sign in with
Your question

amount of memory needed for dvd ripping.

Tags:
Last response: in Memory
April 30, 2003 8:35:05 PM

I'm building a gaming system with an a7n8x dx v2.00 (just got it yesterday (wohoo!). My question is that i don't do much rendering of stuff like photoshop or 3dstudiomax and crap like that, but i mainly bought this system to rip dvd's into divx cd movies. I'm setting up a raid 0 with wd160gig special additions My question is: do i need 512 or will 1024 be helpful?!?! (of course i'm going for corsair 3200twin1024llpt) or 512. is 1024 overkill?

"sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick"
*grabs a stick and places it into the flames* mmmm, smores
May 1, 2003 12:10:32 AM

1024 is overkill. 512meg is more than enough. I was doing it all the time on 512Mge no problems. And I have a friend who has 256Meg and no problems at all. It is not memory that affects DivX encoding it is CPU power.
AREA_51

'It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames'
May 1, 2003 3:47:36 AM

i do fine with 256. and my xp1700 encodes a video faster than real time without the sound.

<font color=red> black </font color=red> <font color=green> white </font color=green> <font color=blue> yellow </font color=blue> <font color=orange> purple </font color=orange> <font color=black> red </font color=black> <font color=yellow> green </font color=yellow> <font color=purple> blue </font color=purple>
Related resources
May 1, 2003 4:20:04 AM

512 should be fine...

To err is human... to really screw things up you need a computer!
May 1, 2003 7:25:15 PM

Thanks for the response. Do you know of a good encoder? The few i've used on this older machine didn't work out very well.

May 1, 2003 7:33:05 PM

so even for the new future of games/apps say next 6 months, there is really no advantage to owning a gig of ram? I want to know because i have the money, but don't want to waste it if not necessary...and the price is actually better if you buy a gig. twinx512-3200llpt $156
twinx1032-3200llpt $285
I don't want it if its not needed, so if that's the word, i guess i'll shell out for a better video card :)  like an mx or fx series...lol (j/k... for all those who don't understand scarcasm)

May 1, 2003 7:41:50 PM

I have found the best one is Flask 0.594 at
http://go.to/flaskmpeg
One note that took me a while to work out is if you are doing anything and have done an encode you have to close flask and reopen it before you encode anything again. There is a sound access problem that it can only be accessed once per a session.
Thats the only prob I can think of.
AREA_51

'It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames'
May 1, 2003 8:05:59 PM

1 gig is only usefull in very specific situations. Even with minor video editing 512 is more than enough... depends what you use it for. For example some programs such as CFX, solidworks, etc will use all the ram you provide, if you do heavy work like this then go for the gig...

otherwise save 150 or whatever dollars and buy the next level graphics card ;) 

To err is human... to really screw things up you need a computer!
!