Sprint Cell Tower Handoff Problem

Last response: in Network Providers
April 30, 2005 5:34:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cdma (More info?)

I am currently experiencing a new problem that I believe to be a tower
handoff issue. I leave my home and while on a call and travel about 1/2
mile. During this time, I am connected to Cell Site A and heading toward the
location of Cell Site B. When I get to about 1/4 mile from Cell Site B, my
phone will drop the call. I have the "signal loss" alert enabled on my phone
so that I will get an audible tone when there is a signal loss. The phone
exhibits the following symptoms:

The signal loss audible alert is beeping at a rate of about 5 times per
second and the display alternates back and forth between "Loss of Signal"
and "Searching for Signal" messages. This process will continue for about 10
to 30 seconds. The phone then locks onto the Cell Site B that is now within
my line of site and begins to operate normally.

I also get similar results if I am NOT on a phone call. The phone is locked
onto Cell Site A and I am traveling toward Cell Site B. When I get to about
1/4 mile from Cell Site B (Cell Site B is visible at that time) the signal
loss audible alert is beeping at a rate of about 5 times per second and the
display alternates back and forth between "Loss of Signal" and "Searching
for Signal" messages. This process will continue for about 10 to 30 seconds.
The phone then locks onto Cell Site B that is now within my line of site and
begins to operate normally.

I have another interesting variant on this experiment. If I start out
connected to Cell Site B and then travel toward Cell Site A, the handoff
functions correctly and there is no problem. When traveling in the other
direction, it appears that the handoff from Cell Site A to Cell Site B does
not function and actually puts the phone into the "twilight zone" for up to
30 seconds even though I can see Cell Site B in about 1/4 mile in the
distance.

I have a Sanyo 7400 phone and have also tried this with my wife's Samsung
phone and obtained the same results.

What is causing this problem? What course of action would you recommend to
get it resolved? How can I contact the SprintPCS RF Department?

Thanks,

-mij
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 8:48:51 AM

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 13:34:22 -0700, "Mij Adyaw" <mijadyaw@nospam.com>
wrote:

>I am currently experiencing a new problem that I believe to be a tower
>handoff issue. I leave my home and while on a call and travel about 1/2
>mile. During this time, I am connected to Cell Site A and heading toward the
>location of Cell Site B. When I get to about 1/4 mile from Cell Site B, my
>phone will drop the call. I have the "signal loss" alert enabled on my phone
>so that I will get an audible tone when there is a signal loss. The phone
>exhibits the following symptoms:
>
>The signal loss audible alert is beeping at a rate of about 5 times per
>second and the display alternates back and forth between "Loss of Signal"
>and "Searching for Signal" messages. This process will continue for about 10
>to 30 seconds. The phone then locks onto the Cell Site B that is now within
>my line of site and begins to operate normally.
>
>I also get similar results if I am NOT on a phone call. The phone is locked
>onto Cell Site A and I am traveling toward Cell Site B. When I get to about
>1/4 mile from Cell Site B (Cell Site B is visible at that time) the signal
>loss audible alert is beeping at a rate of about 5 times per second and the
>display alternates back and forth between "Loss of Signal" and "Searching
>for Signal" messages. This process will continue for about 10 to 30 seconds.
>The phone then locks onto Cell Site B that is now within my line of site and
>begins to operate normally.
>
>I have another interesting variant on this experiment. If I start out
>connected to Cell Site B and then travel toward Cell Site A, the handoff
>functions correctly and there is no problem. When traveling in the other
>direction, it appears that the handoff from Cell Site A to Cell Site B does
>not function and actually puts the phone into the "twilight zone" for up to
>30 seconds even though I can see Cell Site B in about 1/4 mile in the
>distance.
>
>I have a Sanyo 7400 phone and have also tried this with my wife's Samsung
>phone and obtained the same results.
>
>What is causing this problem? What course of action would you recommend to
>get it resolved? How can I contact the SprintPCS RF Department?

[crossposting removed]

It could be a handoff problem, or it could be any number of other
problems. No offense intended, but it's hard to say because your
specific drive test (single data point) isn't scientific. I'm assuming
it was done with a handset rather than with calibrated test equipment.
So by all means, you should report it to *2, but please don't expect
SPCS to share the root cause of the problem with you, or to speculate
with you as to what the cause might be, or to share the eventual
solution with you. They just don't do that. As for contacting the RF
folks, I gave 3 methods for indirectly doing that in another thread in
this group yesterday.
May 7, 2005 7:30:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cdma (More info?)

You didn't provide detail locations of your problem. Sprint has nation wide
network.

"Mij Adyaw" <mijadyaw@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I am currently experiencing a new problem that I believe to be a tower
> handoff issue. I leave my home and while on a call and travel about 1/2
> mile. During this time, I am connected to Cell Site A and heading toward
the
> location of Cell Site B. When I get to about 1/4 mile from Cell Site B, my
> phone will drop the call. I have the "signal loss" alert enabled on my
phone
> so that I will get an audible tone when there is a signal loss. The phone
> exhibits the following symptoms:
>
> The signal loss audible alert is beeping at a rate of about 5 times per
> second and the display alternates back and forth between "Loss of Signal"
> and "Searching for Signal" messages. This process will continue for about
10
> to 30 seconds. The phone then locks onto the Cell Site B that is now
within
> my line of site and begins to operate normally.
>
> I also get similar results if I am NOT on a phone call. The phone is
locked
> onto Cell Site A and I am traveling toward Cell Site B. When I get to
about
> 1/4 mile from Cell Site B (Cell Site B is visible at that time) the signal
> loss audible alert is beeping at a rate of about 5 times per second and
the
> display alternates back and forth between "Loss of Signal" and "Searching
> for Signal" messages. This process will continue for about 10 to 30
seconds.
> The phone then locks onto Cell Site B that is now within my line of site
and
> begins to operate normally.
>
> I have another interesting variant on this experiment. If I start out
> connected to Cell Site B and then travel toward Cell Site A, the handoff
> functions correctly and there is no problem. When traveling in the other
> direction, it appears that the handoff from Cell Site A to Cell Site B
does
> not function and actually puts the phone into the "twilight zone" for up
> 30 seconds even though I can see Cell Site B in about 1/4 mile in the
> distance.
>
> I have a Sanyo 7400 phone and have also tried this with my wife's Samsung
> phone and obtained the same results.
>
> What is causing this problem? What course of action would you recommend to
> get it resolved? How can I contact the SprintPCS RF Department?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -mij

May 7, 2005 4:39:58 PM

Atm wrote:
> You didn't provide detail locations of your problem. Sprint has nation wide
> network.

Southern Orange County, California. Laguna Niguel area. (He's posted about this
before :)

--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 5:21:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cdma (More info?)

Sprint seems to have resolved this problem. Several nights ago, the cell
site was going up and down. This started at about 1:00 AM and continued for
several hours. The next day, the problems was gone. I assume that Sprint was
performing maintenance on the cell site.

-mij

news:D 5j59h$vs8$2@ratbert.glorb.com...
> Atm wrote:
>> You didn't provide detail locations of your problem. Sprint has nation
>> wide
>> network.
>
> Southern Orange County, California. Laguna Niguel area. (He's posted about
> this before :)
>

> --
> JustThe.net - Apple Valley, CA - http://JustThe.net/ - 888.480.4NET (4638)
> Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
>
> "The wisdom of a fool won't set you free"
> --New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 3:38:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cdma (More info?)

Yep Sprint's normal maintenance time for cell sites is 12 AM to 2 AM.
!