ocz platinum vs corsair xms ll

dinkster9

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2001
Courious, first off is ocz any good? not really ever used their products. On their site they talk about their new platinum series ddr at pc3200 and higher. They claim that the timings are 2-2-2-5-1. The fastest corsair at pc3200 timings are 2-2-2-6-1 (the pc2700 is 2-2-2-5-1). So i know i'm talking nanoseconds or less here and overall performance so negiglable no humans could notice, BUT: there is a difference. Anyone know of any review sites that have matched up these two products together, or personal experience?. You might say well, if you are overclocking...well, technically i'm overclocking my 333fsb, but the ram is made for 400mhz, so its not being overclocked, actually underclocked to be acrominious(damn can't spell that word).

Anyone have any info they'd like to share with me on this topic?

"sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick"
*grabs a stick and places it into the flames* mmmm, smores

vk2amv

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
Well first off OCZ have a VERY bad reputation of selling dud memory half the time that wont do it`s ratings and also buying reviews. Second even if you do get a good OCZ stick you wont be able to overclock it near as far as the Corsair. Thats at hard timings that is. At very light timings you can get more Mhz out of OCZ but you can get a lot harder timings on Corsair than OCZ at the same speed. I would recommend the Corsair all the way.
AREA_51

'It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames'

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
u corsair fanyboys -_-" i am running OCZ and they're great.... they did "HAD" a bad reputation but now they got much better and cheaper the Corsair ram.... don't listen to fanboys...... Corsair might be the best ram out there but that doesn't mean OCZ sucks

LumberJack

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
Hey OCZ will run at it's rated speed if you get the right ones.. quality has improved... but don't count on overclocking with that baby...

To err is human... to really screw things up you need a computer!

dinkster9

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2001
well, thanks for all your responses. I was already planning on going with corsair, but no one really answered my question. if in fact the timings are 2-2-2-5-1 the ocz would be beating the corsair as said rated mhz, i was simply wondering if this was true or if anyone had experienced it.

dinkster9

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2001
as far as i can tell, YES. but please don't quote me

LtBlue14

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
OCZ is NOT the same as OCSystem, by ANY MEANS
and OCZ in a recent review overclocked better than the top of the line corsair XMS and Geil memory
beating geil may not surprise you, but it handily beat the corsair, by like 10-20 mhz.
it is said that if you want the best possible overclock, you gotta go for OCZ PC3500 EL.
OCZ did have a bad reputation, but it looks like they have it straight, i don't see many (or any) complaints of bad ram from them these days

<A HREF="http://www.planettribes.com/allyourbase/ayb2.swf" target="_new">411 UR 84$E R 8E10NG 2 U$</A>

vk2amv

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
I saw a few reviews too. The OCZ constantly got more Mhz but at a LOT leaner timings. At 211Mhz Corsair 3200 did 2-2-2-5 but the OCZ 3500 topped out at 206Mhz at those timings. But when you strongly reduce the timings to easiest settings you can get more Mhz out of OCZ compared to Corsair. But at such light timings you have very little performance compared to Corsair. It all depends on if you want extra Mhz or lot harder timings.
AREA_51

'It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames'

LtBlue14

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
the OCZ PC3500 EL is taken to 490 in every review, at 2.7V or 2.8V, unless the motherboard or cpu craps out
<A HREF="http://www.ocprices.com/index.php?rev_id=104&page=5&action=reviews" target="_new">http://www.ocprices.com/index.php?rev_id=104&page=5&action=reviews</A>
there it does 490 with "tight timings" at 2.8V, and it does 500MHz with loose timings
other places people say "494" and other insanely high numbers
the corsair generally maxes out at about 460, no matter the timings
but we're talkin extremes of the overclocking realm - either stick is obviously good.

<A HREF="http://www.planettribes.com/allyourbase/ayb2.swf" target="_new">411 UR 84$E R 8E10NG 2 U$</A>

LancerEvolution7

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
Every company has its ups and downs. OCZ seems to be trying to build up its reputation. Their prices seem to be a little bit lower too. They have had a BAD past, but recently it looks like they are going up. I still see no reason to change from corsair though, if it working why fix it.

Oh OCZ is not OC systems. They point that out on their site. OC systems have been trying to pass their memory as OCZ.

LancerEvolution7

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
I'm not going to say it is definitly bad, but OC Systems(not OCZ) have been know to use heat spreaders to cover their lower speed memory. I think there was something about them selling pc2100 as pc2700 and covering the memory with a heat spreader so people can't see the serials. People would have tons of crashes running it at pc2700 and wonders why.