802.11b or 802.11g

i have upload speed of 256kpbs, download of 3mbps. Which
should i get? is g going to be waste of money, or is b
going to stop me from reaching the full speed?
1 answer Last reply
More about tomshardware

    Google is your friend:

    How fast is it (real world)?
    A full strength 802.11b signal will get you about 3.5-4.5 Mbps without WEP
    enabled. With WEP enabled, expect 2.5-3.5 Mbps. As you put walls and
    distance between your wireless adapter and your access point, your speed
    will drop. Don't expect to put more than a few walls between you and your
    access point. (click here for network speeds explained)

    http://www.homenethelp.com/802.11b/index.asp

    FOr 802.11g,
    " The net data rate is somewhere at 20 Mbps or south; 54 Mbps is the raw
    rate. " (Same caveats.)

    "James" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > i have upload speed of 256kpbs, download of 3mbps. Which
    > should i get? is g going to be waste of money, or is b
    > going to stop me from reaching the full speed?

Routers Hardware WiFi and Home Networking Microsoft Networking