802.11b or 802.11g

Last response: in Networking
Share
May 30, 2004 12:14:07 AM

i have upload speed of 256kpbs, download of 3mbps. Which
should i get? is g going to be waste of money, or is b
going to stop me from reaching the full speed?

More about : 802 11b 802 11g

Anonymous
May 30, 2004 1:20:46 AM

Google is your friend:

How fast is it (real world)?
A full strength 802.11b signal will get you about 3.5-4.5 Mbps without WEP
enabled. With WEP enabled, expect 2.5-3.5 Mbps. As you put walls and
distance between your wireless adapter and your access point, your speed
will drop. Don't expect to put more than a few walls between you and your
access point. (click here for network speeds explained)

http://www.homenethelp.com/802.11b/index.asp

FOr 802.11g,
" The net data rate is somewhere at 20 Mbps or south; 54 Mbps is the raw
rate. " (Same caveats.)

!