Is this 56k modem a winmodem?

zemuron

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
I want to know if my 56k modem is a winmodem or not. My 56k modem is called: Generic 56K HCF Data Fax Modem(COM3). I tried to figure out there website but I can't. I tried generic.com, generic.ca, generir56k.com generic56k.ca, none of them works. I also searched alittle in yahoo, excite and google. And I didn't find the info I want.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You'll have to look at the modem to figure out what it is. My guess would be a Connexant (or worse, PC-Tel) Winmodem.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
Generic isn't a brand, it means just what it says. It's a generic driver for your modem, not a specific one. Rockwell is the main user of the HCF chip, but they aren't usually marketed under the Rockwell moniker. Most likely it's a Conexant modem built by Rockwell, which will be a winmodem. TL.

2500+ Barton 191x12@1.85v=2293mhz
Tr SLK-800
Tt Smartfan II
A7N8X Dlx
2x512MB Corsair PC3200
BBA 9700 Pro AIW
2x80GB 7200RPM Maxtor
Guillemot Game Theatre XP

zemuron

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
I have the installation guide and it says "supra modem". Could "supra" by the brand/manufacturer. If it is, is it a winmodem?

I did a google search and it says:
"Supra modems are based on the Rockwell (now Conexant Systems) chipset and support both 56kFlex and V.90 standards."

So my modem is a winmodem, right???

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Zemuron on 05/02/03 00:28 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
Yes, your modem is a winmodem.

Tr SLK-800
Tt Smartfan II
A7N8X Dlx
2x512MB Corsair PC3200
BBA 9700 Pro AIW
2x80GB 7200RPM Maxtor

elzt

Distinguished
May 10, 2002
Avoid software or win modems if you don't run Windows, like what <A HREF="http://www.56k.com/reports/winmodem.shtml" target="_new">this article</A> explained.

zemuron

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
Do you really think it's a winmodem? Because I play online games like battlefield 1942. About 50% of the times when I'm online I auto disconnect for no reason that I know of. And the other 50% I can play for about 1 hour and 30 minutes. So is it still a winmodem?

Grub

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
I'll summarize:
Crashman: "Its a winmodem"
elzt:"Its a winmodem"
Umheint0:"Its a winmodem"

Any man can withstand adversity...The true test of character is to give a man power <i>Abraham Lincoln</i>

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
Hehehe!!!! :lol:

"Generic 56K HCF Data Fax Modem(COM3)."

He wouldn't be getting that information from the AOL modem list would he? Hehehe...

<A HREF="http://www.millionmanlan.com/MMLDefault.asp" target="_new">Million Man LAN 2 is June 25-29, 2003 in Louisville Kentucky... Be there!</A>

zemuron

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
Bum_JCRules:
What AOL modem list? What are you talking about?

Does anyone know which non dial up winmodem would be the best to play recently released pc games. Can you also tell me there website?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I think Diamond made the "Supra" modems. Now here's a bit of funny information for you:

The term "WinModem" is kind of odd. You see, it's often interchanged with the word "Softmodem". A softmodem is a software "modem" that in reality is simply an add in codec that uses the CPU as a modem! People assume "winmodems" are software modems but many aren't.

It turns out that there are many HARDWARE modems that are also "winmodems", this is to say that they use PNP to assign an IRQ. Even then, most won't work in Linux because you need a piece of software to set the IRQ. GRR.

Such hardware based winmodems include many Rockwell chipset modems, as well as many USR "winmodems" and, to a lesser extent, Lucent and Connexant. PC-Tel makes "pure" software modems, which are the worst.

As I recall most of Diamonds modems were hardware modems, but PNP making them "winmodems". Earlier ISA version were selectable between "jumper configured" and "pnp". At any rate, Windows probably wouldn't really be "required" as long as you could find a Linux driver for Rockwell chipset modems.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You have a PNP modem. "WinModem" is probably not an accurate desciption, but the lable is likely applied. What I'm saying is that it probably could be used under Linux if somebody wrote a driver for it.

Of course all this assumes it's a PCI modem to begin with.

zemuron

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
I;m not sure if it's a pci modem. How can I check it out?

I went in my "modem configuration" then for my "maximum speed bps": it says "115200" and I can bring it up to "921600". Do you know if I could damage my modem by doing that?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Zemuron on 05/03/03 01:27 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
Dude, winmodems perform the same functions as a hardware modem. I'M SURE IT IS!!!

Tr SLK-800
Tt Smartfan II
A7N8X Dlx
2x512MB Corsair PC3200
BBA 9700 Pro AIW
2x80GB 7200RPM Maxtor

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
What kind of computer do you have, a dell, HP, compaq? Lots of them have on-board modems, which are all pure soft modems, which are the worst.

On a side note, I am the proud owner of the worst modem ever manufacturered. Ever hear of NetoDragon? I have one. At AT&T, we agree that they are the worst modems ever manufacturered.

Tr SLK-800
Tt Smartfan II
A7N8X Dlx
2x512MB Corsair PC3200
BBA 9700 Pro AIW
2x80GB 7200RPM Maxtor

zemuron

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
umheint0: "Dude, winmodems perform the same functions as a hardware modem. I'M SURE IT IS!!!"

Your sure about what? That my winmodem is connected to a pci slot? Is a hardware modem a non winmodem?

I'm not sure what kind of computer I have? And no I'm not an idiot ok. I just bought that computer a year ago brand new. I don't care what kind it is. But I can tell you that there's an "M" beside the pentium 4 logo, whatever that means. And I have a asus P4B motherboard.

I might get a us robotics modem. I think it's called that. Is that a good modem to play recently released pc games?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Zemuron on 05/04/03 04:13 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
Okay, we gotta go to the basics it would appear.

First, I'm sure your modem is a win/software modem. Instead of using it's own processor, like on a hardware modem, a win/software modem uses the computer's processor to operate the modem. Having a hardware modem doesn't really mean much of a performance gain, but they are definitely 1. easier to use 2. easier to switch between computers, and 3. easier to troubleshoot with.

What should you get? USR makes good modems. Make sure it has an onboard controller though. Read the box before you buy the card, and check the USR homepage. <A HREF="http://www.usr.com" target="_new">http://www.usr.com</A> The PCI card that has an on-board controller is the "56K* V.92 Performance Pro Modem". The "Internal Faxmodem PCI" is not.

If you want to play new games, your only option is to get high-speed internet access, either DSL or broadband. Only then will you notice any performance gains.

Tr SLK-800
Tt Smartfan II
A7N8X Dlx
2x512MB Corsair PC3200
BBA 9700 Pro AIW
2x80GB 7200RPM Maxtor

zemuron

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
I'm one of the unlucky ones. High speed connection except for satelite is not available where I live. So this is why I trying to get the best 56k modem to play new games.

So your saying that having a dsl or broadband is the only why I will get better performance. If so, in http://www.56k.com/reports/winmodem.shtml why does it say???:

"And if you're an online gamer, you definitely want to avoid Winmodems."

I might be wrong but to me this sentence means that having the best dial up modem would increase performance in gaming and winmodems have decreased performance.

I also talked to the person I will buy the 56k modem from. He told me that I can switch to gaming mode. Did you ever heard of that before?

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
I think what the guys means is that is has lower error correction. That means your ping times will be lower and your response to the game server will be shorter, creating less perceivable "lag". Though your total bandwidth restrictions are a major limiting factor.

Tr SLK-800
Tt Smartfan II
A7N8X Dlx
2x512MB Corsair PC3200
BBA 9700 Pro AIW
2x80GB 7200RPM Maxtor

zemuron

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
umheint0: What guy are you taalking about? Are you talking about the guy that told me about the gaming mode for the V.92 Performance Pro?

How old is the 56K* V.92 Performance Pro Modem?

Because I have a 9 years old 56k modem, maybe alittle older. On a older computer that is not the one I'm using now. I don't know what kind it is and I can't go check. So I'm not sure if it's a win/sofware modem. I was wondering if the 56K* V.92 Performance Pro Modem would be better then the 9 year old modem.

Don't just assume that the 56K* V.92 Performance Pro Modem is better because maybe it's just new because another manufactuer started to make them recently. But it could have the same specs as the 9 yer old modem.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Zemuron on 05/04/03 07:58 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
Okay, if you want help, you gotta be able to follow your own train of thought here. I'm not going to walk you through your own mind. My own is scary enough.

Now, what is this about me making assumptions of one modem is better than another because of age? What are you trying to say? Are you implying I don't know what I'm talking about? Let me tell you something. I work for AT&T Worldnet technical support. I work with dial-up modems eight-hours a day, five days a week. I know a good modem from a bad modem, okay? Don't come in here telling me my business. If you want help, fine. I'll offer it. If you choose to not use my help or heed my advice, fine. That's your choice. But don't come in here wanting help and then telling me, before I even give an answer, I'm wrong.

We've answered all your questions, and you keep asking the same questions over again. READ THE PREVIOUS POSTS!!

Frankly, right now, I'm not in the mood to answer your last question. Maybe someone else out there who hasn't been jaded by your ignorance and effrontery will answer. If you think you know the answer, do some research on your own.

Tr SLK-800
Tt Smartfan II
A7N8X Dlx
2x512MB Corsair PC3200
BBA 9700 Pro AIW
2x80GB 7200RPM Maxtor

zemuron

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
Why are you so pissed off at me? I never said anything rude to you.

I don't know alot about computers so this is why I need help from people like you guys.

How did you get the idea that I was trying to imply that you don't know what your talking about?

This is what I'm trying to say. I have an approximitly 8 year old computer. In this computer there's a 56k modem. I don't know what kind it is and I CAN'T GO CHECK. It also might be alittle older then 8 years old

OK DON'T BE OFFENDED. This is my question. Instead of buying the 56K* V.92 Performance Pro Modem. The one that is in my 9 year old computer could be as good. So I want to know if a 9 year old non win/software modem could have the same specs of the 56K* V.92 Performance Pro Modem.

You see this is what I'm thinking. Maybe another manufacturer decided to make money and did the 56K* V.92 Performance Pro Modem 2 years ago. But a 56k modem from another manufacturer made the same 56k modem 9 years ago with the same specs. If so instead of buying the new one because the specs didn't change. I could get the one from my old computer that is oppoximitly 9 years old.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Zemuron on 05/05/03 02:34 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Ok... this old computer... is it on windows?

If it says something silly like "generic modem" in your hardware list... then you can always look at the circuit board itself, there will be an FCC ID number on it and you can search for that at the FCC website.

Once you have the identifier you should be able to find out what you've got and probably even find a better set of drivers for it.

However... if, as you say, it's got the letters "HCF" in the identifier it's almost certainly a win-modem... which means that a lot of what it does is not done on the modem card itself, but offloaded to the CPU. Some of the worst ones even offload the tone generation (the racket you hear on the phone line) to the CPU, get doing something that keeps the CPU busy with one of them installed and you're going to get dumped offline all the time.

---><font color=green>It ain't better if it don't work</font color=green><--- <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by teq on 05/05/03 02:44 AM.</EM></FONT></P>