Your question

Passive Cooling / athlon temp

Tags:
  • Cooling
  • Components
Last response: in Components
April 30, 2003 11:46:34 PM

Have a couple quetions here:

First, I remember a while back people trying to make a stable passive cooling (no fans) power supply or some other fanless creation. Anyone here of it being done?

Second question, since I'm low on the funds and can't buy a decent cpu fan for a while, I've got a fairly cheap 80mm fan (cpu is Athlon 1.1ghz) on it and it idles at 45-47c and under maximum load can go as high as 50-51c, and with summer approaching, I'm kind of concerned about these temps

I have a loud-ass Fortis fan I could put on it, but that beast is around 50-55db but it does cool it to the low 30s

It's all good ^_^

More about : passive cooling athlon temp

May 1, 2003 12:17:13 AM

First off here is a link for a liquid cooled PSU. Dont know if that helps you.

http://www.zerofanzone.co.uk/content.asp?request=liquid...

Second you have a Thunderbird core CPU there and they produce a LOT of heat. They are usualy fine up to 60 degrees.
AREA_51

'It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames'
May 1, 2003 3:35:50 AM

Ok, this is the coolest most wicked mod I have ever seen.

I'd be willing to do this if it weren't for having to cut out a chunk of copper, mainly because I don't have the equipment (it would kill the Dremel) and I wouldn't have any idea where to get a plate of copper.

I thought a lot of other crazy stuff I've seen was hardcore, like using a nes console for a case, but this takes the cake

Thanks again for the link

It's all good ^_^
Related resources
May 1, 2003 1:03:40 PM

Well without watercooling as shown in that link you will need to mount a big ass passive heatsink at the outside of the PSU (backside makes most sense).

There actually are passive cooled PSU you can buy in stores, but they're often very expensive. Here is a review of suck a PSU... with pics of the inside to give you an idea what you have to do: <A HREF="http://www.warp2search.net/reviews.php?op=showcontent&i..." target="_new">http://www.warp2search.net/reviews.php?op=showcontent&i...;/A>

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek: 
May 2, 2003 3:11:07 AM

If your present CPU cooler is keeping your system in the 45c range, you've got nothing to worry about. Anything under 50c at idle or under 60c at full load is going to be just fine.

Save your money and your blood pressure... it's unlikely you will do better without spending a <i>BIG</i> chunk of change.

---><font color=green>It ain't better if it don't work</font color=green><---
May 2, 2003 4:23:20 AM

Thanks for the interesting info guys *thumbs up*

It's all good ^_^
May 8, 2003 8:01:35 PM

Your best bet is the Enermax PSUs - they have a dial on the back to adjust the fan rpms and the PSU can operate in noiseless mode even with the fans going. Any quiet or noisless PC stuff that you require: Zalman and Enermax are the kings.

4.77MHz to 4.0GHz in 10 years. Imagine the space year 2020 :) 
!