SprintPCS in Europe?

Last response: in Network Providers
May 1, 2005 2:38:41 AM

Going to Europe for almost a month (May - June). Sprint has this new
Samsung "International Phone" available, the IP-A790. The Sprint
International Roaming office is closed weekends (I'll call them Monday
or Tuesday), and the web site is not all that helpful, but it *looks*
like all calls used in the countries I'm going to in Europe are $1.50 a
minute, including long distance. I assume that's on top of my normal
service plan.

First of all, has anyone here used that phone with Sprint service in
Europe? I'd love to hear what you think.

I'm wondering if you can take the Sprint SIM out and put an el-cheapo
Euro SIM in it. That way, I could *place* calls using the cheap SIM,
but still receive calls on my normal U.S. number when I have the Sprint
SIM in it. That might be a viable option.

Other than that, what are my best options (pricewise and servicewise)
for

a) using a GSM phone over 3 or 4 countries to place and receive calls
within Europe
b) ditto, but from Europe to the U.S.
c) ditto, but the U.S. to Europe (i.e., having it possible for people to
reach me)

I have an old Bosch/Siemens GSM world phone (from back in the Sprint
Spectrum days, around '97 or so) that might do the job, or I might even
just pick up a new and more modern GSM phone.

But I'd love some advise on the logistics of this.

Many thanks in advance,

--
da
~~

More about : sprintpcs europe

Anonymous
May 1, 2005 2:38:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Crossposted to Verizon newsgroup, for reasons that will be made clear in a moment.

Donkey Agony wrote:
> Going to Europe for almost a month (May - June). Sprint has this new
> Samsung "International Phone" available, the IP-A790. The Sprint
> International Roaming office is closed weekends (I'll call them Monday
> or Tuesday), and the web site is not all that helpful, but it *looks*
> like all calls used in the countries I'm going to in Europe are $1.50 a
> minute, including long distance. I assume that's on top of my normal
> service plan.
>
> First of all, has anyone here used that phone with Sprint service in
> Europe? I'd love to hear what you think.

It's not Sprint service. Note the word "Roaming" in the phrase "International
Roaming office." :)

> I'm wondering if you can take the Sprint SIM out and put an el-cheapo
> Euro SIM in it. That way, I could *place* calls using the cheap SIM,
> but still receive calls on my normal U.S. number when I have the Sprint
> SIM in it. That might be a viable option.

It's worth looking into. The reason I'm crossposting to the VZW newsgroup is
that the Samsung SCH-A790 has been available from Verizon for at least 6-9
months, maybe longer. (The IP-790 *is* the SCH-A790. IP-790 is just Sprint's
name for the phone.) It's likely that someone over in the VZW newsgroup has
already done what you're asking about.

> Other than that, what are my best options (pricewise and servicewise)
> for
>
> a) using a GSM phone over 3 or 4 countries to place and receive calls
> within Europe
> b) ditto, but from Europe to the U.S.
> c) ditto, but the U.S. to Europe (i.e., having it possible for people to
> reach me)
>
> I have an old Bosch/Siemens GSM world phone (from back in the Sprint
> Spectrum days, around '97 or so) that might do the job, or I might even
> just pick up a new and more modern GSM phone.

--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 4:26:25 AM

Steve Sobol wrote:
> Crossposted to Verizon newsgroup, for reasons that will be made clear
> in a moment.

Thanks -- I would very much like to hear of Verizon users' esperiences
with this too!

>> First of all, has anyone here used that phone with Sprint service in
>> Europe? I'd love to hear what you think.
>
> It's not Sprint service. Note the word "Roaming" in the phrase
> "International Roaming office." :)

But, aside from the technicalities involved, I *am* also curious about
Sprint's servicing of this. Yes, I know it's roaming, and the two may
be identical in the way they service it, even down to the price ($1.50 a
minute), but Sprint also may be greenhorns at it as to where it's not
quite as seamless as VZN's service (assuming VZN *is* seamless). :)

That aside, thank you for the cross-posting. I'm really mostly
interested in the general logistics and practicality of using such a
phone vs. an on-the-fly GSM phone and how one manages one of those
within Europe and the U.S.A to-and-from Europe.

--
da
~~
"OE Quotefix"
to fix Outlook Express' broken quoting.
Related resources
May 1, 2005 3:31:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

I bought an el-cheapo Italian sim card to use in my Dutch Vodaphone phone
when I went to Italy last year. I live in NJ (US), and had bought a Dutch
phone on a pay as you go plan previously because of frequent visits to sick
parents, and the need to have a phone while on the go. The Vodaphone was a
pain when using in countries other than Holland, since the call had to be
placed, and then the callee would have to call back with high charges for
the "abroad" calls.

The Italian SIM card wouldn't play nice in the Vodaphone. Never could get
it to work $80 down the drain. Anyone who wants it, just send my a $20
bill for shipping it. Contact: iebeevoormij at verizon dot net.

--
Best regards
Han

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

The phone is probably SIM locked to the Dutch network. Go over to Howard's
forums and you can you can find advice on how to unlock it.

Stu
"Han" <noone@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>I bought an el-cheapo Italian sim card to use in my Dutch Vodaphone phone
> when I went to Italy last year. I live in NJ (US), and had bought a Dutch
> phone on a pay as you go plan previously because of frequent visits to
> sick
> parents, and the need to have a phone while on the go. The Vodaphone was
> pain when using in countries other than Holland, since the call had to be
> placed, and then the callee would have to call back with high charges for
> the "abroad" calls.
>
> The Italian SIM card wouldn't play nice in the Vodaphone. Never could get
> it to work $80 down the drain. Anyone who wants it, just send my a $20
> bill for shipping it. Contact: iebeevoormij at verizon dot net.
>
> --
> Best regards
> Han
> email address is invalid
Anonymous
May 8, 2005 5:03:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

The Verizon A790 works fine in Western Europe and anyplace else where
VZW has signed a roaming agreement with a local carrier.
That's a big improvement from last Fall when they released the phone
before they had their agreements signed.

But it's not cheap

Actually none of the US carriers have cheap international rates but
they are still the only way to have one phone and one number.

Bottom line for us is that if your employer pays the bill then go with
the A790 ( or a Moto V551 if you're an ATTWS / Cingular customer) and
enjoy the convenience.

If you're on your own hook then the time honored alternative of an
unlocked phone with a Euro SIM and the appropriate Nobelcom card is
the way to go.

Richard

"Donkey Agony" <root@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
> Since nobody answered my questions, I thought I'd relay what I found
out
> myself. Bear in mind, this is for SprintPCS -- I'm still curious as
> the experience of any Verizon users of the equivalent phone, since
> Verizon's been doing this longer than Sprint.
>
> (Hmm, does anybody here ever go Europe and remain in touch back
home?)

> I wrote:
> > Going to Europe for almost a month (May - June). Sprint has this
new
> > Samsung "International Phone" available, the IP-A790. The Sprint
> > International Roaming office is closed weekends (I'll call them
Monday
> > or Tuesday), and the web site is not all that helpful, but it
*looks*
> > like all calls used in the countries I'm going to in Europe are
$1.50
> > a minute, including long distance. I assume that's on top of my
> > normal service plan.
>
> I talked to the International Roaming folks today. The options --
if
> you want to make and receive calls from your U.S. number while in
> Europe -- are:
>
> a) Using the Samsung IP-A790. It retails for $549.95, but
apparently
> can be had through some "web special" on the Sprint site for $379 --
> haven't verified this. It is NOT a locked phone, which means you co
uld
> also use it with cheapo Euro SIMs.
>
> b) Renting/leasing a GSM phone from Sprint. I didn't inquire about
the
> leasing cost.
>
> c) Using your own GSM phone, or renting/leasing one overseas.
>
> With ALL of those options, it costs $36 to activate the
international
> service, a couple of bucks for them to ship the SIM card to you
(they
> don't charge for the card, just the shipping), then $6 a month to
keep
> the number/SIM active. On top of that it's $1.50 a minute, whether
your
> call is to or from the U.S. or other numbers in Europe -- local or
long
> distance.
>
> But it's $3.00 to check your voice mail! So even if you managed to
use
> a cheap Euro SIM all day in Europe for local calling, then checked
your
> voice mail once every night for emergency calls etc. from the U.S.,
> that's a minimum of $3.00 a day *no top of* your monthly service!
>
> So it ain't cheap -- this is all on top your regular service plans.
I'm
> wondering -- if you already have a GSM phone (which I do, though
it's a
> bit antiquated) -- if it might be better to go the Euro SIM route,
then
> using something like Skype to check one's Sprint PCS voicemail.
>
> > First of all, has anyone here used that phone with Sprint service
in
> > Europe? I'd love to hear what you think.
>
> Or Verizon users with the same-phone-different-name. I'd still like
> know the answer to this. :)
>
> > I'm wondering if you can take the Sprint SIM out and put an
el-cheapo
> > Euro SIM in it. That way, I could *place* calls using the cheap
SIM,
> > but still receive calls on my normal U.S. number when I have the
> > Sprint SIM in it. That might be a viable option.
>
> Yes you can. But it's not cheap, as I pointed out above. Anyone
know
> what a GSM number/SIM generally costs that you can use all over
Europe?
> My first stop is Amsterdam, so I'd probably want to get one my first
day
> there. Or maybe I should get a different SIM for each country I'm
in.

> Anybody here have any experience with *any* of this?
>

> Thanks,
>
> --
> da
> ~~

May 8, 2005 9:26:50 PM

As a sub-thread here, can you still receive email
(number@messaging.sprintpcs.com) on the phone (the IP-A790 or one of the
other GSM rentals) while in Europe?

- tex
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 3:52:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Looks to me like a better option would be a satellite phone.

scannell
cols oh

> [...]
> using something like Skype to check one's Sprint PCS voicemail.
>
>> First of all, has anyone here used that phone with Sprint service in
>> Europe? I'd love to hear what you think.
>
> Or Verizon users with the same-phone-different-name. I'd still like to
> know the answer to this. :)
>
>> I'm wondering if you can take the Sprint SIM out and put an el-cheapo
>> Euro SIM in it. That way, I could *place* calls using the cheap SIM,
>> but still receive calls on my normal U.S. number when I have the
>> Sprint SIM in it. That might be a viable option.
>
> Yes you can. But it's not cheap, as I pointed out above. Anyone know
> what a GSM number/SIM generally costs that you can use all over Europe? My
> first stop is Amsterdam, so I'd probably want to get one my first day
> there. Or maybe I should get a different SIM for each country I'm in.
>
> Anybody here have any experience with *any* of this?

Anonymous
May 9, 2005 3:52:41 AM

scannell wrote:

> Looks to me like a better option would be a satellite phone.
>
> <snip>

Have you ever priced a satellite phone w/service?

HOLY MACKEREL!!!

Notan
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 5:50:23 AM

Which satellite phone companies, how many are there?, have enough
satellites to cover how much of which continents?
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 9:14:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

I use a call forwarding service for the one number effect. If you sign
up for a free account with Stanaphone.com, you'll get a New York number
tied to a VOIP account which has call forwarding capacity. Toss $20 on
the account and call forward it to you a European prepaid SIM.

Call forward your sprint number to the Stanaphone number when you jump
on the plane. Program Stanaphone to go to voicemail until you get a
European SIM. Once you get the SIM, setup the call forward.

Incidentally, if you want the SIM before you go, look at
www.telestial.com. They sell European SIMs in the US, but mark the
price up a fair amount. If you are on expense account, this is
sometimes the way to go because you can set everything up before you
get on the plane. If it is your own money, I'd wait.

Incidentally, check out the Riing prepaid SIM. It has free incoming
calls in most of Europe. Couple with Stanaphone, it is like $0.21 a
minute to receive calls from your US number (free if you can get people
to call Lichtenstein).

There is an elaborate discussion of this on the forums of
prepaidgsm.net.

I'd skip the Sprint international phone. Just get a cheapo dual band
or better yet a triband. 1900mhz GSM has a fair amount of roaming
value in the Carribean, South America, etc.

Stu
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 10:28:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Please excuse my duplibcate post. I must be losing some gray matter.
Stuart Friedman <stu@nospam.na> wrote:
> I use a call forwarding service for the one number effect. If you
sign
> up for a free account with Stanaphone.com, you'll get a New York
number
> tied to a VOIP account which has call forwarding capacity. Toss $20
on
> the account and call forward it to you a European prepaid SIM.
>
> Call forward your sprint number to the Stanaphone number when you
jump
> on the plane. Program Stanaphone to go to voicemail until you get a
> European SIM. Once you get the SIM, setup the call forward.
>
> Incidentally, if you want the SIM before you go, look at
> www.telestial.com. They sell European SIMs in the US, but mark the
> price up a fair amount. If you are on expense account, this is
> sometimes the way to go because you can set everything up before you
> get on the plane. If it is your own money, I'd wait.
>
> Incidentally, check out the Riing prepaid SIM. It has free incoming
> calls in most of Europe. Couple with Stanaphone, it is like $0.21 a
> minute to receive calls from your US number (free if you can get
people
> to call Lichtenstein).
>
> There is an elaborate discussion of this on the forums of
> prepaidgsm.net.
>
> I'd skip the Sprint international phone. Just get a cheapo dual band
> or better yet a triband. 1900mhz GSM has a fair amount of roaming
> value in the Carribean, South America, etc.
>
> Stu
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 2:27:28 PM

scannell wrote:
> Looks to me like a better option would be a satellite phone.

A satellite phone is great if you don't mind a total lack of in-building
coverage, and iffy-at-best coverage in ares where you don't have a clear
full view of a significant portion of the sky.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
May 11, 2005 1:01:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

As a sub-thread here, can you still receive email (e.g,
number@messaging.sprintpcs.com) on the phone (the IP-A790 or one of the
other GSM rentals) while in Europe?

- tex
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 2:16:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

In article <V9WdnY43it5q5OffRVn-pg@comcast.com>, root@[127.0.0.1]
says...

> b) Renting/leasing a GSM phone from Sprint. I didn't inquire about the
> leasing cost.

http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/coverage/internationa...
ome.jsp

There's a link there to the available phones for leasing ans the costs.

I think it'll answer almost everyone's questions about international
roaming.

But you'd still have to call the dedicated International Roaming Team to
activate it.

--
RØß
O/Siris

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

In article <mZGdnWEzg-7vxBzfRVn-3w@comcast.com>, tex@aspam101.org
says...
> As a sub-thread here, can you still receive email (e.g,
> number@messaging.sprintpcs.com) on the phone (the IP-A790 or one of the
> other GSM rentals) while in Europe?
>
> - tex

I'm not 100% sure, but I think you can not.

--
RØß
O/Siris
!