Selling your old games

Hi,

If you're like me you've probably accumulated a lot of stuff over the
years - boardgames, magazines, pre-Dos era wargames.

I've thought about putting some of it up on eBay for some time now, but
have always postponed this because of a number of practical reasons :

- it's an auction : you can't put wargames in there for a period of 6
months to get the best price - even when you're not in a hurry to sell.

- I'm a first-time seller so that generates trust-issues with potential
buyers
- A lot of people don't have paypal, but they do have credit cards
which I can't process.

What I needed was a virtual store - known and frequented by wargamers -
in which I could put stuff up for sale and which acts as a third party
thus eliminating the practical objections outlined above.

Enter NWS : they offer a virtual store and are asking a 10% commission
- which is pretty fair.

Check out their setup at :
http://store.yahoo.com/yhst-12000246778232/usgali.html

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

trs-80 schreef:
> hope they aren't as over priced as the retail stuff they sell.

<snipped>

Reg NWS : I seriously have no idea what your problem is - NWS has got
about the best retail prices of games I've seen - just one example :
the HPS game Campaign Waterloo is priced $33, while still being $50 at
the HPS store.

Granted that price isn't everything but when I ordered a game there it
was the speediest delivery I had ever encountered. I had a couple of
questions regarding the online store system which got answered within
12 hours (and I'm in a bad timezone). Short : recommended in my book.

Does he promote his own store when posting at the Wargamer forums ? You
bet he does ... when it makes sense - like when someone asks for a TBS
hex game in the old SPI style he posts info + a link to his store. I've
got no problem with that, and apparantly neither do the Wargamer forum
moderators. Oh, yeah and his sig contains a link to the store - big
deal.

Reg the rest of the rant : seems you've got a some issues with the
Wargamer staff & editorial policies - from your post I really can't
tell what these are, but if you've got some specific complaints this is
the place to post them. Really.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

trs-80 schreef:
> They are overpriced and people can see that stated on warfare HQ and
> Wargamer.(if they let you post) A little shopping only and its easy to see
> this. Comparative shopping as well.

<list of old games snipped>

Well, I actually mostly buy recent games - got all the rest, hence my
intrest in selling some of it :) - I checked a couple of other recent
games on the NWS store and they were *all* cheaper than at the webstore
of the publisher.

> HPS okay. nonetheless considering the shady deal with that wargamer sham
> site and the bad attitude online.. Id prefer to go elsewhere.

Lost me there - care to elaborate - maybe an url ?

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

On the NWS thing, I have bought from him over the years, and always had good
service and a fair price. (granted thee are older titles you can find for
less elsewhere, but well, buy them elsewhere then.)

I have seen some whacked out prices paid for old DOS games. The strangest
was Avalon Hill's Computer Third Reich. It was selling upwards of $60-$70 a
year ago. That is despite the fact that it is readily downloadable on
Underdogs. (including manuals)

On a related note, still looking for a no CD crack to the Avalon Hill games
Achting Spitfire and Over the Reich. With XP, it won't recognize the CD.
It is a common problem with AH computer games and some No CD cracks exist
for other games. Just wondering.

Eddy - by the time you pay ebay, paypal/credit card fees the 10% does not
seem so bad.

Of course, you could also post a website list of games you have for offer
here...

HOI2 Wall has that for 25. battleground talonsoft
series. 14.99 a pop got them all for 1.99 a piece last month.

Please let me know how you got HOI2 for 1.99. I'd like to get one
also, at that price.

PS.. EBay(aka greedbay) is considered a rip off by a growing amount of its
clienteles. and they after 3 rate hikes they still don't get 10 percent
commission.

They are overpriced and people can see that stated on warfare HQ and
Wargamer.(if they let you post) A little shopping only and its easy to see
this. Comparative shopping as well. 36 Bucks for Talonsoft world at war. I
got it for 5 bucks 2 years ago. 20 bucks for steel panthers 3 5 bucks if you
can even find it. HOI2 Wall has that for 25. battleground talonsoft
series. 14.99 a pop got them all for 1.99 a piece last month.

The target thing was about some junky game called Caesar III I see that
everywhere for 5 bucks.

HPS okay. nonetheless considering the shady deal with that wargamer sham
site and the bad attitude online.. Id prefer to go elsewhere.

If you want to sell your games maybe the guy wont know about abandware.
you could save your profits by going to e-bay which charges less
commissions. or even better the E-bay alternatives that charge much less
even e-bay.

In article <GcsBe.4283$Rx4.809@tornado.rdc-kc.rr.com>, Rhocutt@wi.rr.com
says...

> They are overpriced and people can see that stated on warfare HQ and
> Wargamer.(if they let you post)

<tilt>

Uh, we're supposed to unconditionally accept a written assertion that
"they are overpriced" in preference over *the actual prices plainly
available on the already-cited website*?!?!?!"

> Comparative shopping as well. 36 Bucks for Talonsoft world at war. I
> got it for 5 bucks 2 years ago. 20 bucks for steel panthers 3 5 bucks if you
> can even find it. HOI2 Wall has that for 25. battleground talonsoft
> series. 14.99 a pop got them all for 1.99 a piece last month.

And I recently bought an IBM A/S400-F80 at a flea market for $5. Guy
had it marked, "Old Computer, still works, As-Is."

So what?

--
Giftzwerg
***

On 14 Jul 2005 01:32:35 -0700, "eddysterckx@hotmail.com"
<eddysterckx@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>If you're like me you've probably accumulated a lot of stuff over the
>years - boardgames, magazines, pre-Dos era wargames.
>
>I've thought about putting some of it up on eBay for some time now, but
>have always postponed this because of a number of practical reasons :

why not post it for sale on here or csipg.marketplace?
it's not a quick sell like in the old days but it's free and only
takes a minute.
costs nothing and you can take all the time you want to sell it.

you could also try www.gametz.com and www.tradegamesnow.com

all the baltteground games for 1.99. Jesus the over ten year old.

Mike Cox. aka longbalde from wargamer? I forgot. Wargame links to this
newsgroup on there site. So no wonder exactly whay I mentioned about forums
is coouring in these responces. Thanks for making my point for me. no
wonder its dead and has the same 5 guys all over it.

"trs-80" <Rhocutt@wi.rr.com> wrote in message
> Mike Cox. aka longbalde from wargamer? I forgot. Wargame links to this

I do not have a wargamer account. Nor do I use aliases on line.

In article <yMyBe.3305$uo6.2830@tornado.rdc-kc.rr.com>,
Rhocutt@wi.rr.com says...
> Mike Cox. aka longbalde from wargamer? I forgot. Wargame links to this
> newsgroup on there site. So no wonder exactly whay I mentioned about forums
> is coouring in these responces.

Maybe it's because you seem a little weird about it.

--

Epi

------------
Would the Greenhouse Effect cause flowers to
grow better?
------------
http://www.curlesneck.com

YYou dont need credit cards to selel a 5 dollar 15 year old dos game.

In article <CvzBe.3311$uo6.1626@tornado.rdc-kc.rr.com>,
Rhocutt@wi.rr.com says...
> YYou dont need credit cards to selel a 5 dollar 15 year old dos game.

You do if you don't want to have to bother with sending the payment.

--

Epi

------------

"Mike Cox" <NoSpamThanks_sch-michael@vom.com> wrote in

> I have seen some whacked out prices paid for old DOS games. The
> strangest was Avalon Hill's Computer Third Reich. It was selling
> upwards of $60-$70 a year ago. That is despite the fact that it is
> readily downloadable on Underdogs. (including manuals)

Somebody paying $60 for it ? where, where ?? :) - I've got the original
box/disk with the tiny map, AH leaflet, registration card, .. just the
manual has gone awol but for $60 I can probably dig it up out of a box
somewhere :)

> On a related note, still looking for a no CD crack to the Avalon Hill
> games Achting Spitfire and Over the Reich. With XP, it won't
> recognize the CD. It is a common problem with AH computer games and
> some No CD cracks exist for other games. Just wondering.

Did a search in my "catalog" - nope

> Eddy - by the time you pay ebay, paypal/credit card fees the 10% does
> not seem so bad.

My point exactly.

> Of course, you could also post a website list of games you have for
> offer here...

I could also convert my website into an online store - if only there
were 38 hours in a day ...

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

--
Ceterum censeo Belgicam delendam."
(Cato, 'Pro Gerolphe')

On 14 Jul 2005 21:17:21 GMT, Eddy Sterckx <eddysterckx@hotmail.com>
wrote:
>"Mike Cox" <NoSpamThanks_sch-michael@vom.com> wrote in
>

>> I have seen some whacked out prices paid for old DOS games. The
>> strangest was Avalon Hill's Computer Third Reich. It was selling
>> upwards of $60-$70 a year ago. That is despite the fact that it is
>> readily downloadable on Underdogs. (including manuals)
>
>Somebody paying $60 for it ? where, where ?? :) - I've got the original
>box/disk with the tiny map, AH leaflet, registration card, .. just the
>manual has gone awol but for $60 I can probably dig it up out of a box
>somewhere :)

shilled on ebay probably

"Eddy Sterckx" <eddysterckx@hotmail.com>
> Somebody paying $60 for it ? where, where ?? :) - I've got the original
> box/disk with the tiny map, AH leaflet, registration card, .. just the
> manual has gone awol but for $60 I can probably dig it up out of a box
> somewhere :)

eBay. I was so incredulous, I set up a my favorite search for 'Thrid Reich
PC Avalon' and got email notes about every other month. Got a kick out of
watching some idiot snipe it at the last second congratulating himself on
his score. It has been over a year now, so I have no idea if people have
caught a clue yet.

Just did a search no 3R, but WS&IM is going for $31.50 with 2+ hrs to go.
Kingmaker is $28.89.

"trs-80" <Rhocutt@wi.rr.com> wrote in

> Mike Cox. aka longbalde from wargamer?

For your information : LongBlade is Jim Zabek - editor in chief of the
Wargamer. Mike Cox is ... well, Mike Cox - and you are ?

> I forgot. Wargame links to
> this newsgroup on there site. So no wonder exactly whay I mentioned
> about forums is coouring in these responces. Thanks for making my
> point for me. no wonder its dead and has the same 5 guys all over it.

Either you're stupidest person in this ng or you're the first troll I
didn't catch on to from his first post. Congratulations in either case.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

--

In article <Xns9693ED7965A29eddysterckxhotmailco@67.99.235.175>,
eddysterckx@hotmail.com says...

> > I forgot. Wargame links to
> > this newsgroup on there site. So no wonder exactly whay I mentioned
> > about forums is coouring in these responces. Thanks for making my
> > point for me. no wonder its dead and has the same 5 guys all over it.
>
> Either you're stupidest person in this ng or you're the first troll I
> didn't catch on to from his first post. Congratulations in either case.

Eddy, I gotta say; you're the most fiendishly subtle troll I ever met.

Case in point, here you post an entirely innocuous (seemingly!!!!) piece
of business about a resource for buying and selling wargames, and 99% of
your readers ... well, it just goes right over our heads. We read the
post, file the link away, murmur another, "Thanx Sterckz," and go on
with our day.

But the X-factor group member recognizes your carefully-encrypted
oxyacetylene flame-blast at once, and thunders into the fray with all
orifices belching fire and smoke.

Well done.

--
Giftzwerg
***
"It's hard not to be moved by the sight of Londoners calmly going about
their business as usual in the face of terrorism. But, if the governing
class goes about business as usual, that's not a stiff upper lip but a
death wish."
- Mark Steyn

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 16:42:17 -0700, "Mike Cox"
<NoSpamThanks_sch-michael@vom.com> wrote:
>"Eddy Sterckx" <eddysterckx@hotmail.com>
>> Somebody paying $60 for it ? where, where ?? :) - I've got the original
>> box/disk with the tiny map, AH leaflet, registration card, .. just the
>> manual has gone awol but for $60 I can probably dig it up out of a box
>> somewhere :)
>>

>eBay. I was so incredulous, I set up a my favorite search for 'Thrid Reich
>PC Avalon' and got email notes about every other month. Got a kick out of
>watching some idiot snipe it at the last second congratulating himself on
>his score. It has been over a year now, so I have no idea if people have
>caught a clue yet.
>
>Just did a search no 3R, but WS&IM is going for $31.50 with 2+ hrs to go.
>Kingmaker is $28.89.

to think that they could have bought a *good* game with that money.

Art Weingardner schreef:

> why not post it for sale on here or csipg.marketplace?
> it's not a quick sell like in the old days but it's free and only
> takes a minute.
> costs nothing and you can take all the time you want to sell it.
>
> you could also try www.gametz.com and www.tradegamesnow.com

Thanks, will look into these as well

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Mike Cox schreef:
> Got a kick out of
> watching some idiot snipe it at the last second congratulating himself on
> his score. It has been over a year now, so I have no idea if people have
> caught a clue yet.

Just thought of something : collections - some people buy games not to
play them, but to collect them. There might be just enough Third Reich
afficionados out there for some of them being "buy everything related
to 3R" type of guys.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

If your selling it doesnt matter. Who would put aa cheap old game you can
get for free. On s credit card?

Giftzwerg schreef:
> Eddy, I gotta say; you're the most fiendishly subtle troll I ever met.

Sometimes I'm so subtle even I don't know what I'm up to :) - been
trolling in here for years and he's the first to notice it.

> But the X-factor group member recognizes your carefully-encrypted
> oxyacetylene flame-blast at once, and thunders into the fray with all
> orifices belching fire and smoke.

Lots of smoke, very little fire - this troll is not impressed.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx