Roaming: "Sprint" vs "Automatic"

Five-year Sprint customer here. Moved into a new home recently, in the
heart of a fairly upscale suburb in a major metropolitan area.
(Birmingham, in metro Detroit, for those who care to know.)

I've had horrendous reception since moving in, despite no apparent
physical obstructions and the fact that, well, this is a fairly upscale
suburb in a major metropolitan area. One would think that in 2005, such
a setting would not leave a user plagued with 90 percent of incoming
calls going straight to voice mail, or calls in progress getting
dropped every two minutes.

Yet that's been the case. I don't keep a landline, and I pay a premium
price for a premium PCS plan upon which I have long relied for a vast
majority of my professional work, so it's incredibly frustrating.

Just as I was on the verge of canceling -- and genuinely disappointed
by the prospect because I've liked Sprint -- I stumbled onto some
information online that offered a possible solution: enable roaming.

"Roaming," of course, used to be a scary word. But Sprint offers $5
flat-fee monthly roaming plan. I called retention and told 'em this was
our final shot; they've waived the $5 fee. The very helpful CSR then
instructed me to switch my roaming mode (in SETTINGS) from "SPRINT" to
"AUTOMATIC." (He didn't mention disabling CALL GUARD -- which when
enabled adds a protection against unwanted roaming -- but I figured
that's a good idea, so I disabled it.)

All this rambling is leading to a couple of key questions: Am I correct
in understanding that "AUTOMATIC" allows my phone to access the
networks of other carriers? And if my recent reception problems have
indeed been due to a shoddy Sprint signal around here, can this switch
indeed help?

What I'm also wondering is how exactly it works. I presume the phone,
even in "AUTOMATIC," defaults to Sprint mode. If so: How, and at what
point, would it kick in to looking for another network's signal? Would
the phone simply recognize that I'm about to lose the Sprint signal,
and thus do what it needs to do to save my call?

I ask because since switching to "AUTOMATIC" I'm still looking at a
phone with no signal bars showing, yet the "R" that would indicate
roaming is not being displayed either. I'm just curious if I'm missing
some essential piece of knowledge about the nature of this "AUTOMATIC"
business.

Thanks, and pardon the long-windedness.
DMC
32 answers Last reply
More about roaming sprint automatic

    some interesting questions that you raise.

    when I first purchased my phone, the sales rep said keep the phone in
    'Sprint Only' mode if possible; putting phone in other modes keeps the cell
    phone searching for signals and depletes the battery very fast. I have a
    vga1000.

    also, I have heard that even with the $5 no-roaming charge, you must still
    make the majority of cell calls on the Sprint network. Don't know what
    'majority' means. I think someone told me once that you must make 70%
    percent of calls with Sprint.

    overall, I'm satisfied with Sprint. used them for about a year now.
    haven't had a problem with the small amount of roaming that I have used.

    "Dave Mc" <leslieDW@hotmail.com> wrote in message
[...]

    50 percent of your calls must be on the Sprint network.

    Dave Mc wrote:
    > Five-year Sprint customer here. Moved into a new home recently, in the
    > heart of a fairly upscale suburb in a major metropolitan area.
    > (Birmingham, in metro Detroit, for those who care to know.)

    Maybe there are a bunch of NIMBYs in your community that refuse to let anyone
    place towers anywhere near them. You ought to find out whether other carriers'
    customers have the same problems in the area around your new home.

    > "Roaming," of course, used to be a scary word. But Sprint offers $5
    > flat-fee monthly roaming plan. I called retention and told 'em this was
    > our final shot; they've waived the $5 fee. The very helpful CSR then
    > instructed me to switch my roaming mode (in SETTINGS) from "SPRINT" to
    > "AUTOMATIC." (He didn't mention disabling CALL GUARD -- which when
    > enabled adds a protection against unwanted roaming -- but I figured
    > that's a good idea, so I disabled it.)
    >
    > All this rambling is leading to a couple of key questions: Am I correct
    > in understanding that "AUTOMATIC" allows my phone to access the
    > networks of other carriers? And if my recent reception problems have
    > indeed been due to a shoddy Sprint signal around here, can this switch
    > indeed help?

    Yes. Automatic means automatically roam if a Sprint signal can not be found.
    Keep in mind that if more than 50% of your airtime in any given month is not on
    Sprint's network, they reserve the right to warn you and then terminate the
    roaming addon if usage continues that way.

    --New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"

    stevie wrote:
    > some interesting questions that you raise.
    >
    > when I first purchased my phone, the sales rep said keep the phone in
    > 'Sprint Only' mode if possible; putting phone in other modes keeps the cell
    > phone searching for signals and depletes the battery very fast. I have a
    > vga1000.

    Well, since "roaming" still means analog in many areas, yes, it can deplete the
    battery quickly.

    > also, I have heard that even with the $5 no-roaming charge, you must still
    > make the majority of cell calls on the Sprint network. Don't know what
    > 'majority' means. I think someone told me once that you must make 70%
    > percent of calls with Sprint.

    50%.

    --New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"

    "Dave Mc" <leslieDW@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > All this rambling is leading to a couple of key questions: Am I correct
    > in understanding that "AUTOMATIC" allows my phone to access the
    > networks of other carriers? And if my recent reception problems have
    > indeed been due to a shoddy Sprint signal around here, can this switch
    > indeed help?
    >
    > What I'm also wondering is how exactly it works. I presume the phone,
    > even in "AUTOMATIC," defaults to Sprint mode. If so: How, and at what
    > point, would it kick in to looking for another network's signal? Would
    > the phone simply recognize that I'm about to lose the Sprint signal,
    > and thus do what it needs to do to save my call?
    >
    > I ask because since switching to "AUTOMATIC" I'm still looking at a
    > phone with no signal bars showing, yet the "R" that would indicate
    > roaming is not being displayed either. I'm just curious if I'm missing
    > some essential piece of knowledge about the nature of this "AUTOMATIC"
    > business.
    >
    > Thanks, and pardon the long-windedness.
    > DMC

    The automatic setting means the phone will look for the strongest signal. It
    will look for a Sprint signal first though, and if it finds one, will stay
    on Sprint. If the phone is staying on Sprint and not roaming even in
    automatic, that would mean the Sprint signal is strong enough to tell the
    phone not to look for other options. You can put the phone in analog and
    roam that way, but the quality may not be as good as the digital roaming
    signal would be. (Sounds like it might be better than the Sprint signal
    you're getting at this location, though.). The roaming plan will cover
    minutes used in analog roam.

    To the best of my knowledge, there's not a way to make the phone switch to
    digital roam if it is finding a Sprint signal. Also, if you are on a call
    and the signal is about to drop, I don't think the tower will hand off the
    call from Sprint to the roaming tower; I believe the call will still drop.
    One of the reasons calls drop while driving when the phone is in automatic
    is because the towers can't hand off from carrier to carrier, or maybe it is
    because the phone can't go back and forth between carriers--regardless of
    the reason, the end result is the same; dropped call. This is why setting
    the phone to Sprint Only will lessen dropped calls usually (not in your
    case, though; I've just gotten off on a tangent, sorry.)

    If I were taking your call, I would want to know if this problem is
    happening only at this location. You also mention this being an upscale
    area, and I wonder if the area is newly built and perhaps the coverage in
    the area can't yet keep up with the number of people moving in. If that's
    the case, you may find that other carriers also have poor coverage at that
    location, which might also explain why the phone is staying on Sprint and
    not going into digital roam. If you haven't already, I would also recommend
    calling *2 and asking for Trouble, and logging a Service/Coverage change
    ticket. When we get the feedback on the ticket, we will find out if this is
    a known problem area or known coverage hole, and usually we can even find
    out if there are any upcoming sites that would improve coverage in the area,
    or if there is no funded solution at this time. If this is already a known
    coverage hole, we may be able to find out without logging a ticket; the
    address may already be flagged in the CS map.

    Leisa

    I had the exact same problem but my provider was Verizon. I had friends come
    over to my home with cell phones from different providers. Sprint was the
    only provider that functioned well at my home so I paid Verizon the ETF and
    switched to Sprint. If you take this route, be careful!!! After you get a
    phone with a new cellular provider, try it in all locations that you will
    use the phone (work, home (all rooms) and other areas that you travel). If
    the phone does not work in all of these areas, you can return it within 14
    days. That is most likely your only realistic options.

    Note that a Sprint phone will lock onto a Sprint signal before choosing a
    roaming provider's signal. Even if the signal is very week to the point of
    being unusable, it will still hang-on to the Sprint signal and will not let
    you roam. The phone will only lock onto a roaming signal if the Sprint
    signal is virtually nonexistent.

    -mij

    "Leisa" <leihei@this.sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> [...]
    > area, and I wonder if the area is newly built and perhaps the coverage in
    > the area can't yet keep up with the number of people moving in. If that's
    > the case, you may find that other carriers also have poor coverage at that
    > location, which might also explain why the phone is staying on Sprint and
    > not going into digital roam. If you haven't already, I would also
    > recommend calling *2 and asking for Trouble, and logging a
    > Service/Coverage change ticket. When we get the feedback on the ticket, we
    > will find out if this is a known problem area or known coverage hole, and
    > usually we can even find out if there are any upcoming sites that would
    > improve coverage in the area, or if there is no funded solution at this
    > time. If this is already a known coverage hole, we may be able to find out
    > without logging a ticket; the address may already be flagged in the CS

    You said you were having dropped calls. Is also the signal being lost
    completely? On my phone, when ever it regains a Sprint PCS signal it
    beeps. My old phone would both beep in and out. If you are not losing
    signal completely, I don't think setting the phone to automatic will
    help much.

    My wife and I had the same problem with no signal and dropped calls at our
    home. We both got new Sanyo phones(7400&8200), and the difference is
    dramatic, like we are on a different carrier now. Our old phones worked OK
    everywhere but our house. Maybe you could try a Sanyo phone before bailing
    from Sprint?
  9. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Floyd I Johnson wrote:
    > My wife and I had the same problem with no signal and dropped calls at our
    > home. We both got new Sanyo phones(7400&8200), and the difference is
    > dramatic, like we are on a different carrier now. Our old phones worked OK
    > everywhere but our house. Maybe you could try a Sanyo phone before bailing
    > from Sprint?

    The question is which phone Dave has currently... Sanyos aren't the only Sprint
    phones with good reception.

    --New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    I'm not sure if you're already from the Detroit area, but you can bet
    your ass that your reception will never improve while you live in
    "Upscale" Birmingham.

    NIMBY= Not In My Back Yard. NO NEW CELL TOWERS FOR YOU.

    Sometimes money blocks progress.

    Birmingham folks oppose just about everything. Parks, towers, etc.
    Anything that may be too close to their Utopia. This pops up in the
    Free Press at least once a month. Some story about something new, and
    needed, but nobody wants to look at it or have it around.

    Not shredding on you personally, But quite a few us pay a "Premium
    Price" to sprint every month. I live by ann arbor, reception around
    here is killer, just about everywhere. I can even talk in my basement.

    You should have moved to the Pointes. Good cell reception, plus the
    money's older. Tons of towers flanking the Detroit border.

    Dave Mc wrote:
    > Five-year Sprint customer here. Moved into a new home recently, in
    the
    > heart of a fairly upscale suburb in a major metropolitan area.
    > (Birmingham, in metro Detroit, for those who care to know.)
    >
    > I've had horrendous reception since moving in, despite no apparent
    > physical obstructions and the fact that, well, this is a fairly
    upscale
    > suburb in a major metropolitan area. One would think that in 2005,
    such
    > a setting would not leave a user plagued with 90 percent of incoming
    > calls going straight to voice mail, or calls in progress getting
    > dropped every two minutes.
    >
    > Yet that's been the case. I don't keep a landline, and I pay a
    premium
    > price for a premium PCS plan upon which I have long relied for a vast
    > majority of my professional work, so it's incredibly frustrating.
    >
    > Just as I was on the verge of canceling -- and genuinely disappointed
    > by the prospect because I've liked Sprint -- I stumbled onto some
    > information online that offered a possible solution: enable roaming.
    >
    > "Roaming," of course, used to be a scary word. But Sprint offers $5
    > flat-fee monthly roaming plan. I called retention and told 'em this
    was
    > our final shot; they've waived the $5 fee. The very helpful CSR then
    > instructed me to switch my roaming mode (in SETTINGS) from "SPRINT"
    > "AUTOMATIC." (He didn't mention disabling CALL GUARD -- which when
    > enabled adds a protection against unwanted roaming -- but I figured
    > that's a good idea, so I disabled it.)
    >
    > All this rambling is leading to a couple of key questions: Am I
    correct
    > in understanding that "AUTOMATIC" allows my phone to access the
    > networks of other carriers? And if my recent reception problems have
    > indeed been due to a shoddy Sprint signal around here, can this
    switch
    > indeed help?
    >
    > What I'm also wondering is how exactly it works. I presume the phone,
    > even in "AUTOMATIC," defaults to Sprint mode. If so: How, and at what
    > point, would it kick in to looking for another network's signal?
    Would
    > the phone simply recognize that I'm about to lose the Sprint signal,
    > and thus do what it needs to do to save my call?
    >
    > I ask because since switching to "AUTOMATIC" I'm still looking at a
    > phone with no signal bars showing, yet the "R" that would indicate
    > roaming is not being displayed either. I'm just curious if I'm
    missing
    > some essential piece of knowledge about the nature of this
    "AUTOMATIC"
    > business.
    >
    > Thanks, and pardon the long-windedness.
    > DMC
  11. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Steve Sobol wrote:
    > Dave Mc wrote:
    >> Five-year Sprint customer here. Moved into a new home recently, in
    >> the heart of a fairly upscale suburb in a major metropolitan area.
    >> (Birmingham, in metro Detroit, for those who care to know.)
    >
    > Maybe there are a bunch of NIMBYs in your community that refuse to
    > let anyone place towers anywhere near them.

    That would be my bet.

    > You ought to find out
    > whether other carriers' customers have the same problems in the area
    > around your new home.

    He did state that the phone didn't roam at all when placed on Automatic.
    Granted, SPCS will hang to its own signal to the bitter end before
    roaming. But I would still have expected it to at least cycle to roam a
    few times. Sounds to me like there are simply not enough towers, period.
    The real test, of course, would be to see what happens when placing the
    phone on Roam, rather than Automatic.

    I had to deal with a bunch of NIMBYs when Sprint came into my city. SPCS
    went out of their way to hide and disguise the towers, but two NIMBYs
    still filed a lawsuit to prevent the towers' operation (they were
    already built and ready to go). Those two people happened to be the only
    two not notified of the tower's construction (what a coincidence). Guess
    why? They weren't on the county clerk's list of property-owners, which
    SPCS (actually SBA) used to send notices to. When SBA/SPCS uncovered
    this, they filed a (IIRC) federal suite against the county. Amazingly,
    the permits to begin operating were granted nearly immediately, as long
    as the SPCS/SBA's suite was dropped.

    I should note that I know (knew) one of the NIMBYs. I can say with
    certainty that he would have been screaming the loudest about lack of
    reception had the very same towers he tried to ban, been taken down.

    --
    Mike
  12. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Thanks very much to all for your insight and information. Very helpful
    stuff, and great newsgroup.

    Latest update: The automatic setting doesn't seem to have helped
    anything at all. It never appears to actually roam, and the Sprint
    signal still fades out completely then back in (and yes, with the
    phone beeping each time, as one poster noted).

    What has worked is setting the phone -- a new Sanyo 8200, for those
    who'd wondered -- to analog roaming. There, the reception has been
    perfectly fine. I don't know what that's supposed to tell me, except
    that I'm OK being all 1996 if that's what it takes to get a signal.

    I am curious about the "50 percent Sprint" figure a couple of folks
    threw out regarding the monthly roaming service. Are you saying 50
    percent of the number of CALLS must be pure Sprint, or 50 percent of
    the number of MINUTES used? I'm gonna poke around the PCS website and
    see what I can find, but my retention fellow didn't say anything about
    this part at all. (Not that THAT means anything!)

    Again, I appreciate all the feedback. I've gotta stop lurking here and
    start posting more.

    DMc
  13. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Dave Mc wrote:

    > I am curious about the "50 percent Sprint" figure a couple of folks
    > threw out regarding the monthly roaming service. Are you saying 50
    > percent of the number of CALLS must be pure Sprint, or 50 percent of
    > the number of MINUTES used? I'm gonna poke around the PCS website and
    > see what I can find, but my retention fellow didn't say anything about
    > this part at all. (Not that THAT means anything!)

    Minutes.

    Check the literature at your local Sprint store for details. (Check a brochure
    that lists calling plans.)

    --New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
  14. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Just got my own answer by rereading Steve Sobol's post: It's 50
    percent of MINUTES (airtime), not calls.

    Thanks.

    On Mon, 02 May 2005 18:55:28 -0400, Dave Mc <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

    >Thanks very much to all for your insight and information. Very helpful
    >stuff, and great newsgroup.
    >
    >Latest update: The automatic setting doesn't seem to have helped
    >anything at all. It never appears to actually roam, and the Sprint
    >signal still fades out completely then back in (and yes, with the
    >phone beeping each time, as one poster noted).
    >
    >What has worked is setting the phone -- a new Sanyo 8200, for those
    >who'd wondered -- to analog roaming. There, the reception has been
    >perfectly fine. I don't know what that's supposed to tell me, except
    >that I'm OK being all 1996 if that's what it takes to get a signal.
    >
    >I am curious about the "50 percent Sprint" figure a couple of folks
    >threw out regarding the monthly roaming service. Are you saying 50
    >percent of the number of CALLS must be pure Sprint, or 50 percent of
    >the number of MINUTES used? I'm gonna poke around the PCS website and
    >see what I can find, but my retention fellow didn't say anything about
    >this part at all. (Not that THAT means anything!)
    >
    >Again, I appreciate all the feedback. I've gotta stop lurking here and
    >start posting more.
    >
    >DMc
  15. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    On 2 May 2005 04:40:18 -0700, emailmatt9@yahoo.com wrote:

    >I'm not sure if you're already from the Detroit area, but you can bet
    >your ass that your reception will never improve while you live in
    >"Upscale" Birmingham.

    Nope, not new to the Detroit area, but newly residing in Birmingham. I
    identified the locale merely for the historical record, so that it
    will be sitting in the Google archives for future frustrated
    searchers.

    Had the same problem in Royal Oak a couple years back, but not nearly
    to this extent. That was pre-portability, so I suffered through it
    because my cell number was just too valuable to abruptly give up at
    that point.

    >Sometimes money blocks progress.
    >
    >Birmingham folks oppose just about everything. Parks, towers, etc.
    >Anything that may be too close to their Utopia. This pops up in the
    >Free Press at least once a month. Some story about something new, and
    >needed, but nobody wants to look at it or have it around.
    >
    >Not shredding on you personally, But quite a few us pay a "Premium
    >Price" to sprint every month. I live by ann arbor, reception around
    >here is killer, just about everywhere. I can even talk in my basement.

    I know you're not shredding on me personally -- I mentioned the
    "upscale" thing only because I find it amusing, on a sort of cosmic
    level, that I get better reception in "run-down" Detroit than I do in
    an ostensibly well-to-do suburb.

    The NIMBY thing makes sense. What doesn't make sense is that none of
    my non-Sprint friends or colleagues ever seem to have these issues in
    my various locales -- whether Birmingham or Royal Oak. I have sat with
    envy as they get their five Cingular and Verizon bars, then sat with
    dismay as my girlfriends and bosses (redundant?) rail on me because
    "you never answer your damned phone" -- when of course it's simply
    that the Damned Phone doesn't ring when they call.

    >You should have moved to the Pointes. Good cell reception, plus the
    >money's older. Tons of towers flanking the Detroit border.

    I was THISCLOSE to buying in Grosse Pointe. Hell, at this point, a
    decent cell connection might have sealed the deal.

    DMc
  16. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Dave Mc wrote:

    > The NIMBY thing makes sense. What doesn't make sense is that none of
    > my non-Sprint friends or colleagues ever seem to have these issues in
    > my various locales -- whether Birmingham or Royal Oak.

    Which phone do you have? That makes a difference.

    > I was THISCLOSE to buying in Grosse Pointe. Hell, at this point, a
    > decent cell connection might have sealed the deal.

    I got lucky. Moved in with my wife (who back then was my fiancee), into a
    beautiful house in a beautiful neighborhood in Mentor on the Lake, Ohio, and
    was a 90-second drive from a Sprint tower. That was 11/2001. Fast forward to
    August 2003. After a month living with my mother-in-law while we looked for a
    house, we rented a nice house on an acre of land in Apple Valley, California.

    ....You guessed it. A 90-second drive from ANOTHER Sprint tower.

    Plus, there's another tower at State Highway 18 and Navajo which is about 5-7
    minutes from us.

    I *heart* Sprint's network. ;)

    --New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
  17. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    On Mon, 02 May 2005 16:29:24 -0700, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
    wrote:

    >Which phone do you have? That makes a difference.

    A new Sanyo 8200, which last week replaced my old 4500 for a 14-day
    test run. And the problems seem to have gotten only worse, honest to
    God.

    >I got lucky. Moved in with my wife (who back then was my fiancee), into a
    >beautiful house in a beautiful neighborhood in Mentor on the Lake, Ohio, and
    >was a 90-second drive from a Sprint tower. That was 11/2001. Fast forward to
    >August 2003. After a month living with my mother-in-law while we looked for a
    >house, we rented a nice house on an acre of land in Apple Valley, California.
    >
    >...You guessed it. A 90-second drive from ANOTHER Sprint tower.
    >
    >Plus, there's another tower at State Highway 18 and Navajo which is about 5-7
    >minutes from us.
    >
    >I *heart* Sprint's network. ;)

    Yeah, serendipity ain't a bad thing. I'm stuck with some sort of
    Sprint curse.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Dave Mc wrote:
    > Five-year Sprint customer here. Moved into a new home recently, in
    the
    > heart of a fairly upscale suburb in a major metropolitan area.
    > (Birmingham, in metro Detroit, for those who care to know.)
    >
    > I've had horrendous reception since moving in, despite no apparent
    > physical obstructions and the fact that, well, this is a fairly
    upscale
    > suburb in a major metropolitan area. One would think that in 2005,
    such
    > a setting would not leave a user plagued with 90 percent of incoming
    > calls going straight to voice mail, or calls in progress getting
    > dropped every two minutes.

    Its not Sprint, its lousy Lucent/Nortel network equipment. You can
    thank the distinguished
    Nobel Prize Winners of BELL LABS in NJ for your service.

    JG
  19. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    All major carriers face the problem of the local city council that usually
    does not want cell towers in neighborhoods. It has nothing to do with
    Nortel equipment. You should attend your city council meetings whenever a
    cellular carrier wants to erect a new cell site and speak in favor of the
    tower.

    <jgrove24@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > Dave Mc wrote:
    >> Five-year Sprint customer here. Moved into a new home recently, in
    > the
    >> heart of a fairly upscale suburb in a major metropolitan area.
    >> (Birmingham, in metro Detroit, for those who care to know.)
    >>
    >> I've had horrendous reception since moving in, despite no apparent
    >> physical obstructions and the fact that, well, this is a fairly
    > upscale
    >> suburb in a major metropolitan area. One would think that in 2005,
    > such
    >> a setting would not leave a user plagued with 90 percent of incoming
    >> calls going straight to voice mail, or calls in progress getting
    >> dropped every two minutes.
    >>

    > Its not Sprint, its lousy Lucent/Nortel network equipment. You can
    > thank the distinguished
    > Nobel Prize Winners of BELL LABS in NJ for your service.
    >
    > JG

  20. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Mij Adway wrote:
    > All major carriers face the problem of the local city council that usually
    > does not want cell towers in neighborhoods. It has nothing to do with
    > Nortel equipment.

    How many cell towers do you actually have down there? Are you counting antennas
    that may not be on 100-foot poles? :)

    --New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
  21. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    The are not a lot of actual cell towers except along the freeways. Sprint
    erects cell sites that are disguised as light poles and also pine trees.
    Even the disguised cell sites require city council approval here in Laguna
    Niguel.

    -mij

    > Mij Adway wrote:
    >> All major carriers face the problem of the local city council that
    >> usually does not want cell towers in neighborhoods. It has nothing to do
    >> with Nortel equipment.
    >
    > How many cell towers do you actually have down there? Are you counting
    > antennas that may not be on 100-foot poles? :)
    >
    > --
    > JustThe.net - Apple Valley, CA - http://JustThe.net/ - 888.480.4NET (4638)
    > Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
    >
    > "The wisdom of a fool won't set you free"
    > --New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
  22. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Mij Adway wrote:
    > The are not a lot of actual cell towers except along the freeways. Sprint
    > erects cell sites that are disguised as light poles and also pine trees.
    > Even the disguised cell sites require city council approval here in Laguna
    > Niguel.

    I'm sure they do everywhere else too; it's a zoning issue. My point was "don't
    just count the big towers."

    --New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
  23. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    I went to a city council meeting on Tuesday night to support a new Sprint
    Pine Tree. One of the city council members went to look at an existing
    Sprint Pine Tree and was impressed with the aesthetics.

    > Mij Adway wrote:
    >> The are not a lot of actual cell towers except along the freeways. Sprint
    >> erects cell sites that are disguised as light poles and also pine trees.
    >> Even the disguised cell sites require city council approval here in
    >> Laguna Niguel.
    >
    > I'm sure they do everywhere else too; it's a zoning issue. My point was
    > "don't just count the big towers."
    >
    > --
    > JustThe.net - Apple Valley, CA - http://JustThe.net/ - 888.480.4NET (4638)
    > Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
    >
    > "The wisdom of a fool won't set you free"
    > --New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
  24. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    On Thu, 05 May 2005 14:58:51 -0700, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
    wrote:

    >Mij Adway wrote:
    >> The are not a lot of actual cell towers except along the freeways. Sprint
    >> erects cell sites that are disguised as light poles and also pine trees.
    >> Even the disguised cell sites require city council approval here in Laguna
    >> Niguel.
    >
    >I'm sure they do everywhere else too; it's a zoning issue. My point was "don't
    >just count the big towers."

    Steve, they should erect "pine trees" around your neck of the woods.
    It might spruce things up a bit. ;-)

    (In my military days, I used to visit Victorville now and then.)

    --
    Paul Miner
  25. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Paul Miner wrote:

    > Steve, they should erect "pine trees" around your neck of the woods.
    > It might spruce things up a bit. ;-)

    And they'd blend in so well with the cacti and Joshua trees.

    ;p

    > (In my military days, I used to visit Victorville now and then.)

    Where were you stationed? We have about a gazillion military bases in this
    area. There's also a California National Guard outpost about ten minutes from
    my house.

    --New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
  26. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    How about a gigantic Joshua Tree cell site? :-)

    > Paul Miner wrote:
    >
    >> Steve, they should erect "pine trees" around your neck of the woods.
    >> It might spruce things up a bit. ;-)
    >
    > And they'd blend in so well with the cacti and Joshua trees.
    >
    > ;p
    >
    >> (In my military days, I used to visit Victorville now and then.)
    >
    > Where were you stationed? We have about a gazillion military bases in this
    > area. There's also a California National Guard outpost about ten minutes
    > from my house.
    >

    > --
    > JustThe.net - Apple Valley, CA - http://JustThe.net/ - 888.480.4NET (4638)
    > Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
    >
    > "The wisdom of a fool won't set you free"
    > --New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
  27. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    On Thu, 05 May 2005 21:27:20 -0700, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
    wrote:

    >Paul Miner wrote:
    >
    >> Steve, they should erect "pine trees" around your neck of the woods.
    >> It might spruce things up a bit. ;-)
    >
    >And they'd blend in so well with the cacti and Joshua trees.
    >
    >;p

    That was the idea. ;-)

    >> (In my military days, I used to visit Victorville now and then.)
    >
    >Where were you stationed? We have about a gazillion military bases in this
    >area. There's also a California National Guard outpost about ten minutes from
    >my house.

    I was at Nellis AFB (Las Vegas) from '82 to '88 and used to volunteer
    to make runs every few months down to George AFB to pick up or deliver
    equipment. I was in Electronic Warfare so the trips were to get me out
    of doing real work. No offense, but I never really developed a love
    for the Victorville area. :-)

    --
    Paul Miner
  28. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Paul Miner wrote:

    > I was at Nellis AFB (Las Vegas) from '82 to '88 and used to volunteer
    > to make runs every few months down to George AFB to pick up or deliver
    > equipment. I was in Electronic Warfare so the trips were to get me out
    > of doing real work. No offense, but I never really developed a love
    > for the Victorville area. :-)

    Ha. George! My mother-in-law works at the school there... of course it's not
    George AFB anymore, the base is closed, but Adelanto School District still runs
    a middle school and an elementary school on the property. My wife works at
    Adelanto Elementary, two mintues away from there.

    George is now Southern California Logistics Airport - was supposed to be a big
    commercial airport, but due to wrangling between Adelanto and Victorville about
    land, it's cargo/small commuter traffic only. (George AFB sits on the border
    between the two cities.)

    It was kinda stupid - Ontario International is 45 mintues away and on the other
    side of the Cajon Pass... LAX is two hours... McCarran International in Vegas
    is about two and a half. Could have been a big addition to the Victor Valley
    and brought in a lot of business. :(

    Anyhow... This area has to kinda grow on you... no offense taken. I thought I'd
    hate moving here from NE Ohio, but I've actually come to like living here.

    --New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
  29. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Howdy, all. I wanted to give you guys the latest and hopefully final
    update on my situation.

    I was finally able to convince the Data Support folks that my problem
    merited a service ticket, though the deal was sealed only when I noted
    that several other Sprint customers have encountered the same issue
    here at this address. (They then made me serve up the Sprint phone
    numbers of these assorted friends.)

    Yesterday was the big day, with an engineer/technician scheduled to
    come out and provide a diagnosis. I have to say the local office was
    good about staying in contact throughout the day, though there was
    minor frustration because at least four different people made the
    calls, every time asking me the same stuff I'd already answered for
    their colleagues. ("When did the reception suddenly die?" i don't
    know, i told y'all it's been bad since i moved in last month. "Give me
    the phone numbers of others with this issue." i already did, but here
    they are again. "Have you gotten a PRL update?" i told y'all that i
    got a brand new phone last week ... ad nauseam.)

    Also odd: Two of the staffers said a tech would come to my specific
    location, albeit not inside the home itself. But in another round of
    left-hand-not-talking-to-right-hand, two other staffers said the
    engineer would only be checking out the nearest tower. In the day's
    final conversation, I was told that's precisely what happened: a tech
    went to the tower, ran some tests, and concluded that nothing was
    amiss.

    Oddest of all, though, is that I've had a perfectly fine signal since
    late yesterday afternoon. My phone is sticking with Sprint's network,
    and I haven't had a single dropped call or invisible incoming call
    (that I know of). As we speak, I've got three bars, and have even had
    a full slate at various times today.

    I'm left to wonder if a problem was indeed discovered and fixed, and
    that Sprint is reluctant to tell me because they think I'll ask for a
    refund from the downtime or something. I don't know.

    The whole episode has been variously frustrating and amusing. At this
    point, I just hope that my newly resurrected signal is permanent.
    Ultimately, I'd rather keep my status as "longtime Sprint customer"
    than become "brand-new Cingular user."

    Again, thanks again to all respondents here for your information and
    commiseration.

    DMc

    On 1 May 2005 17:16:46 -0700, "Dave Mc" <leslieDW@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Five-year Sprint customer here. Moved into a new home recently, in the
    >heart of a fairly upscale suburb in a major metropolitan area.
    >(Birmingham, in metro Detroit, for those who care to know.)
    >
    >I've had horrendous reception since moving in, despite no apparent
    >physical obstructions and the fact that, well, this is a fairly upscale
    >suburb in a major metropolitan area. One would think that in 2005, such
    >a setting would not leave a user plagued with 90 percent of incoming
    >calls going straight to voice mail, or calls in progress getting
    >dropped every two minutes.
    >
    >Yet that's been the case. I don't keep a landline, and I pay a premium
    >price for a premium PCS plan upon which I have long relied for a vast
    >majority of my professional work, so it's incredibly frustrating.
    >
    >Just as I was on the verge of canceling -- and genuinely disappointed
    >by the prospect because I've liked Sprint -- I stumbled onto some
    >information online that offered a possible solution: enable roaming.
    >
    >"Roaming," of course, used to be a scary word. But Sprint offers $5
    >flat-fee monthly roaming plan. I called retention and told 'em this was
    >our final shot; they've waived the $5 fee. The very helpful CSR then
    >instructed me to switch my roaming mode (in SETTINGS) from "SPRINT" to
    >"AUTOMATIC." (He didn't mention disabling CALL GUARD -- which when
    >enabled adds a protection against unwanted roaming -- but I figured
    >that's a good idea, so I disabled it.)
    >
    >All this rambling is leading to a couple of key questions: Am I correct
    >in understanding that "AUTOMATIC" allows my phone to access the
    >networks of other carriers? And if my recent reception problems have
    >indeed been due to a shoddy Sprint signal around here, can this switch
    >indeed help?
    >
    >What I'm also wondering is how exactly it works. I presume the phone,
    >even in "AUTOMATIC," defaults to Sprint mode. If so: How, and at what
    >point, would it kick in to looking for another network's signal? Would
    >the phone simply recognize that I'm about to lose the Sprint signal,
    >and thus do what it needs to do to save my call?
    >
    >I ask because since switching to "AUTOMATIC" I'm still looking at a
    >phone with no signal bars showing, yet the "R" that would indicate
    >roaming is not being displayed either. I'm just curious if I'm missing
    >some essential piece of knowledge about the nature of this "AUTOMATIC"
    >business.
    >
    >Thanks, and pardon the long-windedness.
    >DMC
  30. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    On Sat, 07 May 2005 12:48:46 -0700, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
    wrote:

    >Paul Miner wrote:
    >
    >> I was at Nellis AFB (Las Vegas) from '82 to '88 and used to volunteer
    >> to make runs every few months down to George AFB to pick up or deliver
    >> equipment. I was in Electronic Warfare so the trips were to get me out
    >> of doing real work. No offense, but I never really developed a love
    >> for the Victorville area. :-)
    >
    >Ha. George! My mother-in-law works at the school there... of course it's not
    >George AFB anymore, the base is closed, but Adelanto School District still runs
    >a middle school and an elementary school on the property. My wife works at
    >Adelanto Elementary, two mintues away from there.
    >
    >George is now Southern California Logistics Airport - was supposed to be a big
    >commercial airport, but due to wrangling between Adelanto and Victorville about
    >land, it's cargo/small commuter traffic only. (George AFB sits on the border
    >between the two cities.)
    >
    >It was kinda stupid - Ontario International is 45 mintues away and on the other
    >side of the Cajon Pass... LAX is two hours... McCarran International in Vegas
    >is about two and a half. Could have been a big addition to the Victor Valley
    >and brought in a lot of business. :(
    >
    >Anyhow... This area has to kinda grow on you... no offense taken. I thought I'd
    >hate moving here from NE Ohio, but I've actually come to like living here.

    It's a small world. :) Good to hear that you like it but since it's
    coming up on 20 years since I was out that way, I bet I wouldn't even
    recognize the place. It would have been nice, and a big boost to the
    area, to turn the old base into a large airport. Heck, in the future
    Vegas and LA might actually butt up against Apple Valley. That would
    be some serious growth. :)

    --
    Paul Miner
  31. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Paul Miner wrote:

    > It's a small world. :) Good to hear that you like it but since it's
    > coming up on 20 years since I was out that way, I bet I wouldn't even
    > recognize the place. It would have been nice, and a big boost to the
    > area, to turn the old base into a large airport. Heck, in the future
    > Vegas and LA might actually butt up against Apple Valley.

    At which point I move back to Ohio.

    --New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
  32. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    In article <e4mq7195ah8s92j0t29ofgh3m0s9pgkt4c@4ax.com>, nospam@nospam.com
    says...
    > Ultimately, I'd rather keep my status as "longtime Sprint customer"
    > than become "brand-new Cingular user."

    join alt.cellular.cingular and be warned before you make that leap

Sprint PCS Internet Service Providers