T-72 Balkans on Fire - Demo available

Hi,

A 193 MB demo is available of this tank sim - better read the system
requirements before you start downloading :)

http://www.wargamer.com/news/news.asp?nid=2310

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

--
"Ceterum censeo Belgicam delendam."
(Cato, 'Pro Gerolphe')

    Thanx for the info. You just helped me save $35. It's a good thing I
    downloaded the demo before buying it. The demo doesn't work at all. Run
    the executable and it does nothing. I won't be buying it.

    Kaledin
    "Eddy Sterckx" <eddysterckx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > A 193 MB demo is available of this tank sim - better read the system
    > requirements before you start downloading :)
    >
    > http://www.wargamer.com/news/news.asp?nid=2310
    >
    > Greetz,
    >
    > Eddy Sterckx
    >

    > --
    > "Ceterum censeo Belgicam delendam."
    > (Cato, 'Pro Gerolphe')
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    In article <Xns969574773682eddysterckxhotmailco@216.143.170.48>,
    eddysterckx@hotmail.com says...
    > Hi,
    >
    > A 193 MB demo is available of this tank sim - better read the system
    > requirements before you start downloading :)
    >
    > http://www.wargamer.com/news/news.asp?nid=2310
    >
    > Greetz,
    >
    > Eddy Sterckx

    I can't believe you saw that, but missed the Bet on Soldier demo right
    next to it.

    --

    Epi

    ------------
    In the tradition of the Yugo, Bosnia has come out
    with a new car. It's called the Bozo.
    ------------
    http://www.curlesneck.com
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    "Kaledin" <kaledin@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    > Thanx for the info. You just helped me save $35. It's a good thing I
    > downloaded the demo before buying it. The demo doesn't work at all. Run
    > the executable and it does nothing. I won't be buying it.
    >
    > Kaledin

    Same here, was looking forward to the game, but after the demo not working,
    I won't be wasting $35.

    Paul
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    Epi <epicat1212@hotmail.com> wrote in news:MPG.1d420f3f78c08e28989774
    @news.east.earthlink.net:

    > I can't believe you saw that, but missed the Bet on Soldier demo right
    > next to it.

    Who said I missed it ? :)

    I just didn't think it was appropriate in here - but that's just taste -
    feel free to post links if you find something you think might be
    interesting for the people in here.

    Sometimes I regret that I didn't post about something - like for
    instance about Supreme Ruler 2010 - which on second thought is just as
    much a wargame as HoI 2.

    Post away.

    Greetz,

    Eddy Sterckx

    --
    "Ceterum censeo Belgicam delendam."
    (Cato, 'Pro Gerolphe')
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    In article <Xns96955AA89E3FDeddysterckxhotmailco@67.98.68.19>,
    eddysterckx@hotmail.com says...
    > Epi <epicat1212@hotmail.com> wrote in news:MPG.1d420f3f78c08e28989774
    > @news.east.earthlink.net:
    >
    > > I can't believe you saw that, but missed the Bet on Soldier demo right
    > > next to it.
    >
    > Who said I missed it ? :)
    >
    > I just didn't think it was appropriate in here - but that's just taste -
    > feel free to post links if you find something you think might be
    > interesting for the people in here.
    >
    > Sometimes I regret that I didn't post about something - like for
    > instance about Supreme Ruler 2010 - which on second thought is just as
    > much a wargame as HoI 2.
    >
    > Post away.
    >
    > Greetz,
    >
    > Eddy Sterckx

    I was just being silly. I thought it was a rather tasteless title.

    --

    Epi

    ------------
    In the tradition of the Yugo, Bosnia has come out
    with a new car. It's called the Bozo.
    ------------
    http://www.curlesneck.com
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    "Sturmtiger" <sturm@gaus.com> wrote in message

    > "Kaledin" <kaledin@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    >> Thanx for the info. You just helped me save $35. It's a good thing I
    >> downloaded the demo before buying it. The demo doesn't work at all. Run
    >> the executable and it does nothing. I won't be buying it.
    >>
    >> Kaledin
    >
    > Same here, was looking forward to the game, but after the demo not
    > working,
    > I won't be wasting $35.
    >
    > Paul

    At first, I had the same problem until I installed the codec that comes with
    the package. Does the demo have an option to install the codec?
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    "James Cobb" <bismarck71@charter.net> wrote in message

    > "Sturmtiger" <sturm@gaus.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Kaledin" <kaledin@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    > >> Thanx for the info. You just helped me save $35. It's a good thing I
    > >> downloaded the demo before buying it. The demo doesn't work at all.
    Run
    > >> the executable and it does nothing. I won't be buying it.
    > >>
    > >> Kaledin
    > >
    > > Same here, was looking forward to the game, but after the demo not
    > > working,
    > > I won't be wasting $35.
    > >
    > > Paul
    > >

    > At first, I had the same problem until I installed the codec that comes
    with
    > the package. Does the demo have an option to install the codec?

    Nope, no option for a codec install.
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    > "James Cobb" <bismarck71@charter.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Sturmtiger" <sturm@gaus.com> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "Kaledin" <kaledin@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    > Run

    >> > Same here, was looking forward to the game, but after the demo not
    >> > working,
    >> > I won't be wasting $35.
    >> >
    >> > Paul
    >> >

    >> At first, I had the same problem until I installed the codec that comes
    > with
    >> the package. Does the demo have an option to install the codec?
    >>

    > Nope, no option for a codec install.

    Oh, bad show. Very bad show. It's DIVX codec, if you want to find it on
    the Web.
  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    > "Sturmtiger" <sturm@gaus.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "James Cobb" <bismarck71@charter.net> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "Sturmtiger" <sturm@gaus.com> wrote in message

    > > Run

    > >> At first, I had the same problem until I installed the codec that comes
    > > with
    > >> the package. Does the demo have an option to install the codec?
    > >>

    > > Nope, no option for a codec install.
    > >

    > Oh, bad show. Very bad show. It's DIVX codec, if you want to find it on
    > the Web.

    James,

    Thanks. Just downloaded the codec from the DIVX site, am now re-downloading
    the demo and will see what happens.

    Paul
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    > "James Cobb" <bismarck71@charter.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Sturmtiger" <sturm@gaus.com> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "James Cobb" <bismarck71@charter.net> wrote in message

    > > > Run

    > > > with
    > > >>

    > > > Nope, no option for a codec install.
    > > >

    > > Oh, bad show. Very bad show. It's DIVX codec, if you want to find it
    on
    > > the Web.
    > >

    > James,
    >
    > Thanks. Just downloaded the codec from the DIVX site, am now
    re-downloading
    > the demo and will see what happens.
    >
    > Paul

    Just a follow-up, it installed fine, it starts then after the intro it
    crashes to the desktop. I give up, too much damn work for a demo, so I'll be
    passing on the game.

    Paul
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    "Eddy Sterckx" <eddysterckx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > A 193 MB demo is available of this tank sim - better read the system
    > requirements before you start downloading :)
    >
    > http://www.wargamer.com/news/news.asp?nid=2310

    It's simply amazing (well, not really) how many hoops you have to go through
    to get a stupid file. This page then that page then this page-- on and on.

    What's the purpose of a demo? It's to the company's advantage, to give the
    consumer a taste of the real thing-- a chance to sell.

    Why then does the consumer have to go through page after page, just to get
    to a file?

    Alanb
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    "Alan Bernardo" <ifeelyourpain@ihatebush.net> wrote in message

    > "Eddy Sterckx" <eddysterckx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> A 193 MB demo is available of this tank sim - better read the system
    >> requirements before you start downloading :)
    >>
    >> http://www.wargamer.com/news/news.asp?nid=2310
    >>

    > It's simply amazing (well, not really) how many hoops you have to go
    > through to get a stupid file. This page then that page then this page--
    > on and on.
    >
    > What's the purpose of a demo? It's to the company's advantage, to give
    > the consumer a taste of the real thing-- a chance to sell.
    >
    > Why then does the consumer have to go through page after page, just to get
    > to a file?
    >
    > Alanb

    I heartily agree. This problem arises when demos are distributed through
    third parties. The question is can all publishers afford their own direct
    download servers.
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    > "Sturmtiger" <sturm@gaus.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "James Cobb" <bismarck71@charter.net> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "Sturmtiger" <sturm@gaus.com> wrote in message

    > thing
    > all.

    > comes

    >> > Oh, bad show. Very bad show. It's DIVX codec, if you want to find it
    > on
    >> > the Web.
    >> >

    >> James,
    >>
    >> Thanks. Just downloaded the codec from the DIVX site, am now
    > re-downloading
    >> the demo and will see what happens.
    >>
    >> Paul
    >>

    > Just a follow-up, it installed fine, it starts then after the intro it
    > crashes to the desktop. I give up, too much damn work for a demo, so I'll
    > be
    > passing on the game.
    >
    > Paul

    I definitely see your point. A pity; retail version seems neat so far.
  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    > "Alan Bernardo" <ifeelyourpain@ihatebush.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Eddy Sterckx" <eddysterckx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> A 193 MB demo is available of this tank sim - better read the system
    >>> requirements before you start downloading :)
    >>>
    >>> http://www.wargamer.com/news/news.asp?nid=2310
    >>>

    >> It's simply amazing (well, not really) how many hoops you have to go
    >> through to get a stupid file. This page then that page then this
    >> page-- on and on.
    >>
    >> What's the purpose of a demo? It's to the company's advantage, to
    >> give the consumer a taste of the real thing-- a chance to sell.
    >>
    >> Why then does the consumer have to go through page after page, just
    >> to get to a file?
    >>
    >> Alanb
    >>

    > I heartily agree. This problem arises when demos are distributed
    > through third parties. The question is can all publishers afford
    > their own direct download servers.

    Hadn't noticed because if you click on the link in the article on the
    Wargamer and pick the Gamers's Hell download you're immediatly presented
    with a download screen.

    http://www.gamershell.com/download_9908.shtml

    And no, not all publishers can afford the one-time high peak in
    bandwidth and server demand

    Greetz,

    Eddy Sterckx

    --
    "Ceterum censeo Belgicam delendam."
    (Cato, 'Pro Gerolphe')
  15. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    >>> It's simply amazing (well, not really) how many hoops you have to go
    >>> through to get a stupid file. This page then that page then this
    >>> page-- on and on.
    >>>
    >>> What's the purpose of a demo? It's to the company's advantage, to
    >>> give the consumer a taste of the real thing-- a chance to sell.
    >>>
    >>> Why then does the consumer have to go through page after page, just
    >>> to get to a file?
    >>>
    >>> Alanb
    >>>

    >> I heartily agree. This problem arises when demos are distributed
    >> through third parties. The question is can all publishers afford
    >> their own direct download servers.
    >
    > Hadn't noticed because if you click on the link in the article on the
    > Wargamer and pick the Gamers's Hell download you're immediatly presented
    > with a download screen.
    >
    > http://www.gamershell.com/download_9908.shtml

    From which you are taken to one screen to pick a download site and then to
    another screen that has more advertisements and a ten-second wait. Either
    wait the ten seconds (and view an explosion of ads), or click the link to
    get the download.

    How about maybe a direct link? The internet has turned into one big giant
    Wal-Mart. It's really too bad that in order to find some bit of
    information, the user has to wade through advertisement after advertisement.

    I've been surfing on the Internet since GEnie and the early bulletin boards.
    Things have changed, once the greedy grab a-hold of something, that's for
    sure.

    Alanb
  16. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    Not computer savy here and Ididn't install the codex or whatever yet (I have
    full retail version)

    Crashed to desktop on normal startup. I went into folder and executed
    another execute file, I think the one that skips video and it worked fine.
    Looks beautiful..best yet. Even has daisys in the fields swaying;-)
  17. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    "HR" <HR@horizon.net> wrote in message
    > Not computer savy here and Ididn't install the codex or whatever yet (I
    > have full retail version)
    >
    > Crashed to desktop on normal startup. I went into folder and executed
    > another execute file, I think the one that skips video and it worked fine.
    > Looks beautiful..best yet. Even has daisys in the fields swaying;-)

    I note the dust partially obscuring the driver's view.
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    "James Cobb" <bismarck71@charter.net> wrote in

    > "Sturmtiger" <sturm@gaus.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "James Cobb" <bismarck71@charter.net> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Sturmtiger" <sturm@gaus.com> wrote in message

    >> Run

    >>> At first, I had the same problem until I installed the codec that
    >>> comes
    >> with
    >>> the package. Does the demo have an option to install the codec?
    >>>

    >> Nope, no option for a codec install.
    >>

    > Oh, bad show. Very bad show. It's DIVX codec, if you want to find it
    > on the Web.

    I'm a bit confused here - the installer clearly mentions you both need
    DirectX 9.0c and the DivX 5.1 codec with nice round installation buttons
    for both if your machine doesn't have these installed already.

    Tip : it takes several hits on the "e" key to start the engine :) and you
    can run-over trees :) - just love this "realism" stuff

    Greetz,

    Eddy Sterckx

    --
    "Ceterum censeo Belgicam delendam."
    (Cato, 'Pro Gerolphe')
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    > "James Cobb" <bismarck71@charter.net> wrote in
    >

    > > "Sturmtiger" <sturm@gaus.com> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "James Cobb" <bismarck71@charter.net> wrote in message

    > >> Run

    > >> with
    > >>>

    > >> Nope, no option for a codec install.
    > >>

    > > Oh, bad show. Very bad show. It's DIVX codec, if you want to find it
    > > on the Web.
    >
    > I'm a bit confused here - the installer clearly mentions you both need
    > DirectX 9.0c and the DivX 5.1 codec with nice round installation buttons
    > for both if your machine doesn't have these installed already.
    >
    > Tip : it takes several hits on the "e" key to start the engine :) and you
    > can run-over trees :) - just love this "realism" stuff
    >
    > Greetz,
    >
    > Eddy Sterckx

    Except the installer wasn't launching without the DIVX codec, and it did not
    mention that fact on the download page.

    At any rate, like I said, too much work, so I'll just fire up SR2010 or HOI2
    for another game ;-)

    Paul
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    > "Eddy Sterckx" <eddysterckx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> "James Cobb" <bismarck71@charter.net> wrote in
    >>

    >> > "Sturmtiger" <sturm@gaus.com> wrote in message

    >> > Oh, bad show. Very bad show. It's DIVX codec, if you want to find it
    >> > on the Web.
    >>
    >> I'm a bit confused here - the installer clearly mentions you both need
    >> DirectX 9.0c and the DivX 5.1 codec with nice round installation buttons
    >> for both if your machine doesn't have these installed already.
    >>
    >> Tip : it takes several hits on the "e" key to start the engine :) and you
    >> can run-over trees :) - just love this "realism" stuff
    >>
    >> Greetz,
    >>
    >> Eddy Sterckx
    >
    > Except the installer wasn't launching without the DIVX codec, and it did
    > not
    > mention that fact on the download page.
    >
    > At any rate, like I said, too much work, so I'll just fire up SR2010 or
    > HOI2
    > for another game ;-)
    >
    > Paul

    Wise choice, considering.i
  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    > From which you are taken to one screen to pick a download site and then to
    > another screen that has more advertisements and a ten-second wait. Either
    > wait the ten seconds (and view an explosion of ads), or click the link to
    > get the download.
    >
    > How about maybe a direct link? The internet has turned into one big giant
    > Wal-Mart. It's really too bad that in order to find some bit of
    > information, the user has to wade through advertisement after advertisement.
    >
    > I've been surfing on the Internet since GEnie and the early bulletin boards.
    > Things have changed, once the greedy grab a-hold of something, that's for
    > sure.
    >
    > Alanb

    This irritates me too, but a lot of times the companies need to make
    money somehow. The demo is free after all. Yes, they offer it because
    they want to increase sales. They still have to pay for it. There are
    a lot more evil ways to make money.

    --

    Epi

    ------------
    In the tradition of the Yugo, Bosnia has come out
    with a new car. It's called the Bozo.
    ------------
    http://www.curlesneck.com
  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    Alan Bernardo wrote:

    > How about maybe a direct link? The internet has turned into one big giant
    > Wal-Mart. It's really too bad that in order to find some bit of
    > information, the user has to wade through advertisement after advertisement.

    What did you expect? Someone's got to pay for all that bandwidth. The
    net has *never* been free. Even if you weren't paying for it directly,
    you can be assured that somebody else was.

    > I've been surfing on the Internet since GEnie and the early bulletin boards.

    I've been online since before there *was* an internet; or at least
    before the general public had access to it.

    > Things have changed, once the greedy grab a-hold of something, that's for
    > sure.

    What has changed is that access is now nearly universal rather than
    limited to the few well informed, which means that costs have risen as
    well. And it's certainly not greed that impels those that offer free
    downloads! They're just trying to survive. Get a grip!
  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    >>> I heartily agree. This problem arises when demos are distributed
    >>> through third parties. The question is can all publishers afford
    >>> their own direct download servers.
    >>
    >> Hadn't noticed because if you click on the link in the article on the
    >> Wargamer and pick the Gamers's Hell download you're immediatly
    >> presented with a download screen.
    >>
    >> http://www.gamershell.com/download_9908.shtml
    >>

    > From which you are taken to one screen to pick a download site

    Which is the sensible thing - so you can pick the server with the
    smallest load.

    > and
    > then to another screen that has more advertisements and a ten-second
    > wait. Either wait the ten seconds (and view an explosion of ads), or
    > click the link to get the download.

    Or you can do what I do : alt-tabbing out of the browser into a game in
    progress and wait for the save-dialog :)

    > How about maybe a direct link? The internet has turned into one big
    > giant Wal-Mart. It's really too bad that in order to find some bit of
    > information, the user has to wade through advertisement after
    > advertisement.

    There's no such thing as a free lunch :)

    > I've been surfing on the Internet since GEnie and the early bulletin
    > boards. Things have changed, once the greedy grab a-hold of something,
    > that's for sure.

    Old Compuserver and BBS'er here as well - sometimes I had to spend hours
    logging into different BBS'es just to find that one patch or piece of
    code. I'm fully willing to watch some advertisement if that pays for the
    speed with which I'm tracking down the things I need now. Sometimes you
    only remember the good parts of the Goold Old Times.

    Greetz,

    Eddy Sterckx

    --
    "Ceterum censeo Belgicam delendam."
    (Cato, 'Pro Gerolphe')
  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    >They're just trying to survive. Get a grip!

    I disagree. They are trying to make a buck, as much as possible and in any
    way possible, and at anyone's expense, legally or illegally.

    Alanb
  25. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    In article <MJidneKYs9QpeUTfRVn-hQ@comcast.com>,
    ifeelyourpain@ihatebush.net says...
    > >They're just trying to survive. Get a grip!
    >
    > I disagree. They are trying to make a buck, as much as possible and in any
    > way possible, and at anyone's expense, legally or illegally.
    >
    > Alanb

    Legally or illegaly. Are you saying this should be illegal? There is
    the alternative of course. No extra clicks and no download. Click all
    you want then, but it won't work.

    --

    Epi

    ------------
    In the tradition of the Yugo, Bosnia has come out
    with a new car. It's called the Bozo.
    ------------
    http://www.curlesneck.com
  26. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    "Sturmtiger" <sturm@gaus.com> wrote in

    > Except the installer wasn't launching without the DIVX codec, and it
    > did not mention that fact on the download page.

    Oops - Catch 22 - You can install DivX, but only if DivX is already
    installed - somebody is going to get his behind kicked for this.

    Greetz,

    Eddy Sterckx

    --
    "Ceterum censeo Belgicam delendam."
    (Cato, 'Pro Gerolphe')
  27. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    Alan Bernardo wrote:

    >> Briarroot wrote:
    >>
    >> They're just trying to survive. Get a grip!
    >>

    > I disagree. They are trying to make a buck, as much as possible and in any
    > way possible, and at anyone's expense, legally or illegally.

    "What a maroon!" - Bugs Bunny
  28. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    "Briarroot" <woodsyl@iwon.com> wrote in message
    > Alan Bernardo wrote:
    >>
    >>> Briarroot wrote:
    >>>
    >>> They're just trying to survive. Get a grip!
    >>>

    >> I disagree. They are trying to make a buck, as much as possible and in
    >> any
    >> way possible, and at anyone's expense, legally or illegally.
    >>

    > "What a maroon!" - Bugs Bunny

    Boy, you do use the authoritative sources, don't you. The internet has
    turned into one big scam. The money-grubbers have gotten a-hold of it and
    turned it into one big advertisement.

    There's still some useful information and things to do on the internet; it's
    just a shame that users have to wade through all this nonsense to find
    what's useful.

    And please, no more of your inane responses. I've seen enough of your
    intellectual acumen.

    Alanb
  29. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    > "Briarroot" <woodsyl@iwon.com> wrote in message

    >>> I disagree. They are trying to make a buck, as much as possible and in
    >>> any
    >>> way possible, and at anyone's expense, legally or illegally.
    >>>

    >> "What a maroon!" - Bugs Bunny
    >
    > Boy, you do use the authoritative sources, don't you. The internet has
    > turned into one big scam. The money-grubbers have gotten a-hold of it and
    > turned it into one big advertisement.
    >
    > There's still some useful information and things to do on the internet;
    > it's just a shame that users have to wade through all this nonsense to
    > find what's useful.
    >
    > And please, no more of your inane responses. I've seen enough of your
    > intellectual acumen.
    >
    > Alanb

    And I've seen enough of your responses.
  30. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    "Alan Bernardo" <ifeelyourpain@ihatebush.net> wrote in

    > Boy, you do use the authoritative sources, don't you. The internet
    > has turned into one big scam. The money-grubbers have gotten a-hold
    > of it and turned it into one big advertisement.

    Yup, there sure must be something wrong with the current setup of me
    wanting to buy wargames and publishers vying for my money by producing
    and advertising wargames - and me just thinking the Internet is the
    ideal place for this sort of transaction. Of course it isn't - let's go
    back to the good old days of AH when a paper catalog and the odd review
    in a magazine was all you had to go on to make a buying decision ...

    I'm pretty pleased with the web as it is today - it's the ultimate
    democracy/marketplace, where every product/opinion can make a claim for
    itself. It's a healthy mix of advertisements (seller's opinion) and
    reviews/dedicated websites and forum posts (buyer's opinion) on any
    product. It's the ability to have a look at both sides of the medal that
    distinguishes the internet from all other media.

    > There's still some useful information and things to do on the
    > internet; it's just a shame that users have to wade through all this
    > nonsense to find what's useful.

    Yeah, it sure would be handy if some committee decided what's useful and
    what isn't and banned the latter ... maybe an idea for the European
    Parliament ...

    > And please, no more of your inane responses. I've seen enough of your
    > intellectual acumen.

    You could apply to become a member of the committee that approves

    If I sound a bit sarcastic, it's because you're either incredibly naive
    or haven't really thought out the consequences of and alternatives to
    your ideas and opinions.

    Greetz,

    Eddy Sterckx

    --
    "Ceterum censeo Belgicam delendam."
    (Cato, 'Pro Gerolphe')
  31. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    > "Alan Bernardo" <ifeelyourpain@ihatebush.net> wrote in
    >
    > > Boy, you do use the authoritative sources, don't you. The internet
    > > has turned into one big scam. The money-grubbers have gotten a-hold
    > > of it and turned it into one big advertisement.
    >
    > Yup, there sure must be something wrong with the current setup of me
    > wanting to buy wargames and publishers vying for my money by producing
    > and advertising wargames - and me just thinking the Internet is the
    > ideal place for this sort of transaction. Of course it isn't - let's go
    > back to the good old days of AH when a paper catalog and the odd review
    > in a magazine was all you had to go on to make a buying decision ...
    >
    > I'm pretty pleased with the web as it is today - it's the ultimate
    > democracy/marketplace, where every product/opinion can make a claim for
    > itself. It's a healthy mix of advertisements (seller's opinion) and
    > reviews/dedicated websites and forum posts (buyer's opinion) on any
    > product. It's the ability to have a look at both sides of the medal that
    > distinguishes the internet from all other media.
    >
    > > There's still some useful information and things to do on the
    > > internet; it's just a shame that users have to wade through all this
    > > nonsense to find what's useful.
    >
    > Yeah, it sure would be handy if some committee decided what's useful and
    > what isn't and banned the latter ... maybe an idea for the European
    > Parliament ...
    >
    > > And please, no more of your inane responses. I've seen enough of your
    > > intellectual acumen.
    >
    > You could apply to become a member of the committee that approves
    >
    > If I sound a bit sarcastic, it's because you're either incredibly naive
    > or haven't really thought out the consequences of and alternatives to
    > your ideas and opinions.
    >
    > Greetz,
    >
    > Eddy Sterckx
    >
    > --
    > "Ceterum censeo Belgicam delendam."
    > (Cato, 'Pro Gerolphe')

    Regarding him, in many matters Eddy, it's the former. Definate kumbaya
    stargazer. Niavte is a requirement for membership to that club <g>
  32. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    "Eddy Sterckx" <eddysterckx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > - and me just thinking the Internet is the
    > ideal place for this sort of transaction. Of course it isn't - let's go
    > back to the good old days of AH when a paper catalog and the odd review >
    > in a magazine was all you had to go on to make a buying decision ...

    They had magazines?????? All I had to make my decision was the back of the
    box;-)
  33. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    > You could apply to become a member of the committee that approves
    >
    > If I sound a bit sarcastic, it's because you're either incredibly naive
    > or haven't really thought out the consequences of and alternatives to
    > your ideas and opinions.

    I had no alternatives, did I? All I'm saying is that nearly all that is
    done is done because it benefits the person and that person's intentions are
    to make as much money as possible with the least bit of strain or good
    intentions.

    Many do not think for themselves but allow advertisers, television, and the
    internet to think for them. If you happen to be one of those who want to
    make money at other peoples' expense, then of course you're going to think
    that I am "incredibly naive" and what you do is serving some purpose other
    than making yourself some money.

    By the amount of advertising that you do in here, I would think your purpose
    is something other than helping others. I would expect, then, for you to
    have such a nasty response to my naiveté.

    Alanb
  34. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    HR schreef:

    > They had magazines?????? All I had to make my decision was the back of the
    > box;-)

    Poor you - of course you had to take into account the objectivity of an
    AH game "review" in a magazine like "The General" :)

    I actually bought games (both board and computer) based on 1 screenshot
    and a short description by the publisher in a paper catalogue. Games I
    played just once, because I found out too late I didn't like them or
    they were just unplayable IRL. An internet like it exists today would
    have saved me lots of money which as a kid on an allowance back then
    mattered a lot more than it does today.

    Greetz,

    Eddy Sterckx
  35. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    Alan Bernardo schreef:

    > I had no alternatives, did I? All I'm saying is that nearly all that is
    > done is done because it benefits the person and that person's intentions are
    > to make as much money as possible with the least bit of strain or good
    > intentions.

    Have a good look around the Internet - apart from company websites
    almost everything you'll find is made by people who dedicate their time
    and money to something they think matters, things they believe in or a
    hobby they want to promote. Nobody is paying them and they don't have a
    hidden agenda.

    > Many do not think for themselves but allow advertisers, television, and the
    > internet to think for them.

    Yes, it sure is a bad thing that people get to hear both sides of a
    story. <Sigh> gone are the good old days when the town paper owner, the
    local school-teacher and the minister decided what the people should
    think.

    > If you happen to be one of those who want to
    > make money at other peoples' expense, then of course you're going to think
    > that I am "incredibly naive" and what you do is serving some purpose other
    > than making yourself some money.

    Didn't you know I get paid by the word I type in here ?

    > By the amount of advertising that you do in here, I would think your purpose
    > is something other than helping others.

    LOL - think it through and post a list of other possible sinister
    purposes I might have. Oops - might have given it away a couple of
    lines above this.

    > I would expect, then, for you to
    > have such a nasty response to my naiveté.

    It wasn't meant as a nasty response - really - it was meant to be
    sarcastic so you'd see the consequences of and alternatives to your
    ideas. Pardon me if I think that you're not accustomed to people
    challenging your pov IRL and feel personally attacked/challenged when
    someone challenges your beliefs.

    But if it makes you feel any better : I wouldn't waste my sarcasm on
    someone I didn't consider intelligent enough to see what I was trying
    to accomplish by being sarcastic : force him to have a fresh look at
    his assumptions and beliefs.

    Greetz,

    Eddy Sterckx
  36. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    Alan Bernardo schreef:
    > I do appreciate what Eddy does here. He's not
    > spamming necessarily. He's giving the group information about what
    > interests the group. But when you go to one of his links (which, we all
    > admit, is rather incessant), I don't particularly care to have to wade
    > through oceans of advertisements. In having to do so, that makes me more
    > inclined to think that Eddy has something else in mind, rather than giving
    > the group what it wants.

    LOL - I'll clue you in : I'm almost always posting direct links to
    ftp-servers for things like patches so people in here can actually
    avoid having to wade through http pages at a publisher's site. I had to
    wade throught them and view all the evil advertisements, but I want to
    spare the people in here that vile experience (that, or I think it's
    more handy to have a direct ftp link). But that approach doesn't make
    sense for a demo of a new game : for this people want to know what the
    game is all about before starting a 200 MB download. Hence I link to a
    descriptive page either at the publisher's site or at sites like the
    Wargamer who do a pretty good job of keeping up with everything new.

    And I'm very curious as to what your ideas about my intentions and
    purposes are - really - don't hold back, I won't be offended because
    I'm fascinated by that sort of stuff. It's like someone holding up a
    new kind of mirror for you to look at yourself - a refreshing
    experience.

    > Have a nice evening,

    It's morning over here :) - and no this isn't about trying to show you
    the relativity of your thoughts :)

    Greetz,

    Eddy Sterckx
  37. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    Epi schreef:

    > So, that's not eddie, or do you figure he works for every company that's
    > ever made a wargame, and advertises for all of them.

    Pretty much sums it up - pays pretty good too :)

    But in a sense Mr. Bernardo is correct : I do get "paid" as in

    - the occasional review copy of a new game when I ask for it
    - people mailing me with secret/confidential information and rumours (I
    just love that part as I'm a curious monkey)
    - got to know a lot of insiders and they got to know me, resulting in
    amongst other things me getting offered to become a beta-tester of the
    Airborne Assault engine.
    - and last but not least : tap the vast knowledge and ideas of people
    in here. I've learned a lot in here and though I occasionally fall into
    the trap of pontificating I do try to listen to everyone's opinions and
    ideas.

    Greetz,

    Eddy Sterckx
  38. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    Alan Bernardo wrote:
    SNIP

    > This is a goofy response. I do appreciate what Eddy does here. He's not
    > spamming necessarily. He's giving the group information about what
    > interests the group. But when you go to one of his links (which, we all
    > admit, is rather incessant), I don't particularly care to have to wade
    > through oceans of advertisements. In having to do so, that makes me more
    > inclined to think that Eddy has something else in mind, rather than giving
    > the group what it wants.

    SNIP

    Since every webpage (not owned by a private individual) has banners and
    advertisements on it, how would Eddy refer to an article or page
    without exposing the reader to banners and advertisements?
    This does not compute.

    Should he stop posting his links to protect the unwary?
    Should he only link to advert-free sites?

    *I* do not particularly care for adverts, but accept it as the price
    for surfing the web - presumably like the rest of war-hist.

    Are you sure you do not want to stick to the advert-free
    teletext/minitel/ceefax information pages on your TV and let the nasty,
    commercial Internet be?

    Regards,

    -von Schmidt
  39. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    von Schmidt schreef:
    > Are you sure you do not want to stick to the advert-free
    > teletext/minitel/ceefax information pages on your TV and let the nasty,
    > commercial Internet be?

    Maybe simply stick to UseNet - advert free information :)

    Greetz,

    Eddy Sterckx

    * This post sponsered by : Conquest of the Aegean
    * The newest game in the Airborne Assault series
    * by Panther Games - http://www.panthergames.com
  40. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    In article <u6-dnWijoPX2z0HfRVn-oA@comcast.com>,
    ifeelyourpain@ihatebush.net says...

    > > You could apply to become a member of the committee that approves
    > >
    > > If I sound a bit sarcastic, it's because you're either incredibly naive
    > > or haven't really thought out the consequences of and alternatives to
    > > your ideas and opinions.
    > >

    > I had no alternatives, did I? All I'm saying is that nearly all that is
    > done is done because it benefits the person and that person's intentions are
    > to make as much money as possible with the least bit of strain or good
    > intentions.

    Do you have something against people trying to make money? BTW where is
    that magic pot of gold that pays for things like demo downloads? Could
    you clue us in? Maybe I could get some.

    > Many do not think for themselves but allow advertisers, television, and the
    > internet to think for them.

    Are you offering to think for others? I smell censorship right around
    the corner.

    > By the amount of advertising that you do in here, I would think your purpose
    > is something other than helping others. I would expect, then, for you to
    > have such a nasty response to my naiveté.
    >
    > Alanb

    Oh jesus! Another one.

    --

    Epi

    ------------
    In the tradition of the Yugo, Bosnia has come out
    with a new car. It's called the Bozo.
    ------------
    http://www.curlesneck.com
  41. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    >Do you have something against people trying to make money? BTW where is
    >that magic pot of gold that pays for things like demo downloads? Could
    >you clue us in? Maybe I could get some.

    Of course I have nothing against someone making money. What I do despise
    are those who say they are doing some common good while they make money,
    when in fact they have no interest but to make money.

    > Many do not think for themselves but allow advertisers, television, and
    > the
    > internet to think for them.

    >Are you offering to think for others? I smell censorship right around
    >the corner.

    A very common response, this is. I am against censorship and never once
    mentioned such a thing. All I'm looking for is a little honesty. I'm not
    expecting anyone to say, "Buy my product, even though it will cost you 20
    times over what it costs me to produce it; and though I could sell it for
    less, I'm not going to, because I want to make as much money as possible. I
    am not concerned with your pocketbook, only with mine."

    But I don't expect people to say they are selling something because they
    care about someone's wellfare, when in fact all they care about is making a
    quick buck.

    > By the amount of advertising that you do in here, I would think your
    > purpose
    > is something other than helping others. I would expect, then, for you to
    > have such a nasty response to my naiveté.
    >
    > Alanb

    >Oh jesus! Another one.

    This is a goofy response. I do appreciate what Eddy does here. He's not
    spamming necessarily. He's giving the group information about what
    interests the group. But when you go to one of his links (which, we all
    admit, is rather incessant), I don't particularly care to have to wade
    through oceans of advertisements. In having to do so, that makes me more
    inclined to think that Eddy has something else in mind, rather than giving
    the group what it wants.

    That's simple enough, no? Don't come back with some such stuff as I'm
    "delusional". If you think these kinds of things aren't happening all over
    the place and it's getting worse and worse, then it's not me who is
    delusional.

    Have a nice evening,

    Alanb
  42. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    eddysterckx@hotmail.com wrote:
    > von Schmidt schreef:
    > > Are you sure you do not want to stick to the advert-free
    > > teletext/minitel/ceefax information pages on your TV and let the nasty,
    > > commercial Internet be?
    >
    > Maybe simply stick to UseNet - advert free information :)
    >
    > Greetz,
    >
    > Eddy Sterckx

    Ah, but there is where you are wrong!
    The fact that sometimes games get praised by posters on usenet is a
    clear indication of crypto-commercial influences reaching for the
    innocent reader.

    Next thing you know, posters will recommendent we *buy* certain games.
    The horror!

    I'm not naming any names (yet!), but all are warned that I'm keeping a
    list for the day when the oppressed masses will rise and wash away all
    commercial content and intentions on the Internet.

    Leaving us with a glorious new People's Net, consisting
    of....um...usenet.

    -von Schmidt
    (Raise the Red Banner!)
  43. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    Giftzwerg schreef:

    > Five'll get ya ten he's a teacher of some kind; they always talk like
    > this.

    You're on :) - I'm saying he can't be a teacher because his spelling is
    too good :) But I've got to admit he's got the same posting style and
    world view/ideas as Henri Arsenault, but I don't think he would come
    back in here posting under anything else but his own name. That
    wouldn't be Henri's style.

    Greetz,

    Eddy Sterckx
  44. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    In article <98udnWRaubcc60HfRVn-qA@comcast.com>,
    ifeelyourpain@ihatebush.net says...

    > >Do you have something against people trying to make money? BTW where is
    > >that magic pot of gold that pays for things like demo downloads? Could
    > >you clue us in? Maybe I could get some.
    >
    > Of course I have nothing against someone making money. What I do despise
    > are those who say they are doing some common good while they make money,
    > when in fact they have no interest but to make money.

    TRANSLATION: "As a good little socialist, of *course* it chaps my ass
    when someone actually makes money, but if I say so in the current
    climate - where only Bernie Sanders and Ken Livingstone still believe in
    the One True Cross - everyone laughs at me."

    --
    Giftzwerg
    ***

    In article <Xns9698A317AC37eddysterckxhotmailco@216.143.170.43>,
    eddysterckx@hotmail.com says...

    > > Boy, you do use the authoritative sources, don't you. The internet
    > > has turned into one big scam. The money-grubbers have gotten a-hold
    > > of it and turned it into one big advertisement.
    >
    > Yup, there sure must be something wrong with the current setup of me
    > wanting to buy wargames and publishers vying for my money by producing
    > and advertising wargames - and me just thinking the Internet is the
    > ideal place for this sort of transaction. Of course it isn't - let's go
    > back to the good old days of AH when a paper catalog and the odd review
    > in a magazine was all you had to go on to make a buying decision ...

    Magazines!!?!?!?

    Feh. Nothing but a filthy stew of commercial advertisements throughout.

    Damn them. Damn them all to hell.

    --
    Giftzwerg
    ***
    "So did Rove leak Plame's name to me, or tell me she
    was covert? No."
    - Matt Cooper
  46. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    Alan Bernardo wrote:
    > "Briarroot" <woodsyl@iwon.com> wrote in message

    >>>I disagree. They are trying to make a buck, as much as possible and in
    >>>any
    >>>way possible, and at anyone's expense, legally or illegally.
    >>>

    >>"What a maroon!" - Bugs Bunny
    >

    > Boy, you do use the authoritative sources, don't you.

    Well, ol' Bugs is a great philosopher... compared to you.

    > The internet has
    > turned into one big scam. The money-grubbers have gotten a-hold of it and
    > turned it into one big advertisement.

    Just what kind of nut are you? And why do you think making a living is
    "money grubbing?" Do you earn your own living, or are Mommy and Daddy
    still taking care of you?

    > There's still some useful information and things to do on the internet; it's
    > just a shame that users have to wade through all this nonsense to find
    > what's useful.

    Nonsense like your posts, you mean?

    > And please, no more of your inane responses. I've seen enough of your
    > intellectual acumen.

    "Eh... what's up, doc?" - Bugs Bunny
  47. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    Alan Bernardo wrote:

    > I had no alternatives, did I? All I'm saying is that nearly all that is
    > done is done because it benefits the person and that person's intentions are
    > to make as much money as possible with the least bit of strain or good
    > intentions.

    Making a living *is* "good intentions.

    > Many do not think for themselves but allow advertisers, television, and the
    > internet to think for them. If you happen to be one of those who want to
    > make money at other peoples' expense, then of course you're going to think
    > that I am "incredibly naive" and what you do is serving some purpose other
    > than making yourself some money.

    Oh, I get it now.

    Dear Alan,
    Marx was wrong, Lenin was a liar, and Stalin was really just a fascist
    dictator. Get a clue!

    Money makes the world go around. The internet (as ARPANet) was
    originally built with money which came from US taxpayers. You know:
    taxpayers; those people who actually work for a living. Once the
    internet was cut loose from the US Government's revenue stream, it
    needed to become self supporting. Translation: it needed to start
    turning a profit. Profit is now what drives the whole thing. Profit is
    a Good Thing(tm)!

    > By the amount of advertising that you do in here, I would think your purpose
    > is something other than helping others. I would expect, then, for you to
    > have such a nasty response to my naiveté.

    Helping others? <dissolves in helpless laughter!>

    Naivete is far too mild. Childish stupidity is more like it.
  48. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    In article <11dpm7lj09ble42@corp.supernews.com>, woodsyl@iwon.com
    says...

    > > The internet has
    > > turned into one big scam. The money-grubbers have gotten a-hold of it and
    > > turned it into one big advertisement.
    >
    > Just what kind of nut are you? And why do you think making a living is
    > "money grubbing?" Do you earn your own living, or are Mommy and Daddy
    > still taking care of you?

    Five'll get ya ten he's a teacher of some kind; they always talk like
    this.

    --
    Giftzwerg
    ***
    "So did Rove leak Plame's name to me, or tell me she
    was covert? No."
    - Matt Cooper
  49. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    "Giftzwerg" <giftzwerg999@NOSPAMZ.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > In article <11dpm7lj09ble42@corp.supernews.com>, woodsyl@iwon.com
    > says...
    >
    > > > The internet has
    > > > turned into one big scam. The money-grubbers have gotten a-hold of it
    and
    > > > turned it into one big advertisement.
    > >
    > > Just what kind of nut are you? And why do you think making a living is
    > > "money grubbing?" Do you earn your own living, or are Mommy and Daddy
    > > still taking care of you?
    >
    > Five'll get ya ten he's a teacher of some kind; they always talk like
    > this.
    >
    > --
    > Giftzwerg
    > ***
    > "So did Rove leak Plame's name to me, or tell me she
    > was covert? No."
    > - Matt Cooper

    Yep. And what's the saying........"Those that can, do. Those that
    can't, teach"

PC gaming Games IBM Video Games Product