  • Video Games
  • Product
Last response: in Video Games
July 16, 2005 2:50:59 AM

Hi,

A 193 MB demo is available of this tank sim - better read the system
requirements before you start downloading :)

http://www.wargamer.com/news/news.asp?nid=2310

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

--
"Ceterum censeo Belgicam delendam."
(Cato, 'Pro Gerolphe')

More about : balkans fire demo

Anonymous
July 16, 2005 2:51:00 AM

Thanx for the info. You just helped me save $35. It's a good thing I
downloaded the demo before buying it. The demo doesn't work at all. Run
the executable and it does nothing. I won't be buying it.

Kaledin
"Eddy Sterckx" <eddysterckx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> A 193 MB demo is available of this tank sim - better read the system
> requirements before you start downloading :)
>
> http://www.wargamer.com/news/news.asp?nid=2310
>
> Greetz,
>
> Eddy Sterckx
>

> --
> "Ceterum censeo Belgicam delendam."
> (Cato, 'Pro Gerolphe')
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 3:22:25 AM

In article <Xns969574773682eddysterckxhotmailco@216.143.170.48>,
eddysterckx@hotmail.com says...
> Hi,
>
> A 193 MB demo is available of this tank sim - better read the system
> requirements before you start downloading :)
>
> http://www.wargamer.com/news/news.asp?nid=2310
>
> Greetz,
>
> Eddy Sterckx

I can't believe you saw that, but missed the Bet on Soldier demo right
next to it.

--

Epi

------------
In the tradition of the Yugo, Bosnia has come out
with a new car. It's called the Bozo.
------------
http://www.curlesneck.com
July 16, 2005 10:51:11 AM

"Kaledin" <kaledin@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> Thanx for the info. You just helped me save $35. It's a good thing I
> downloaded the demo before buying it. The demo doesn't work at all. Run
> the executable and it does nothing. I won't be buying it.
>
> Kaledin

Same here, was looking forward to the game, but after the demo not working,
I won't be wasting $35.

Paul
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 11:03:04 AM

Epi <epicat1212@hotmail.com> wrote in news:MPG.1d420f3f78c08e28989774
@news.east.earthlink.net:

> I can't believe you saw that, but missed the Bet on Soldier demo right
> next to it.

Who said I missed it ? :)

I just didn't think it was appropriate in here - but that's just taste -
feel free to post links if you find something you think might be
interesting for the people in here.

Sometimes I regret that I didn't post about something - like for
instance about Supreme Ruler 2010 - which on second thought is just as
much a wargame as HoI 2.

Post away.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

--
"Ceterum censeo Belgicam delendam."
(Cato, 'Pro Gerolphe')
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 11:15:53 AM

In article <Xns96955AA89E3FDeddysterckxhotmailco@67.98.68.19>,
eddysterckx@hotmail.com says...
> Epi <epicat1212@hotmail.com> wrote in news:MPG.1d420f3f78c08e28989774
> @news.east.earthlink.net:
>
> > I can't believe you saw that, but missed the Bet on Soldier demo right
> > next to it.
>
> Who said I missed it ? :)
>
> I just didn't think it was appropriate in here - but that's just taste -
> feel free to post links if you find something you think might be
> interesting for the people in here.
>
> Sometimes I regret that I didn't post about something - like for
> instance about Supreme Ruler 2010 - which on second thought is just as
> much a wargame as HoI 2.
>
> Post away.
>
> Greetz,
>
> Eddy Sterckx

I was just being silly. I thought it was a rather tasteless title.

--

Epi

------------
In the tradition of the Yugo, Bosnia has come out
with a new car. It's called the Bozo.
------------
http://www.curlesneck.com
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 1:16:08 PM

"Sturmtiger" <sturm@gaus.com> wrote in message
news:o h8Ce.34001$8o.8482@fed1read03...

> "Kaledin" <kaledin@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>> Thanx for the info. You just helped me save $35. It's a good thing I
>> downloaded the demo before buying it. The demo doesn't work at all. Run
>> the executable and it does nothing. I won't be buying it.
>>
>> Kaledin
>
> Same here, was looking forward to the game, but after the demo not
> working,
> I won't be wasting $35.
>
> Paul

At first, I had the same problem until I installed the codec that comes with
the package. Does the demo have an option to install the codec?
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 1:16:09 PM

"James Cobb" <bismarck71@charter.net> wrote in message

> "Sturmtiger" <sturm@gaus.com> wrote in message
> news:o h8Ce.34001$8o.8482@fed1read03...
> >
> > "Kaledin" <kaledin@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> >> Thanx for the info. You just helped me save $35. It's a good thing I
> >> downloaded the demo before buying it. The demo doesn't work at all.
Run
> >> the executable and it does nothing. I won't be buying it.
> >>
> >> Kaledin
> >
> > Same here, was looking forward to the game, but after the demo not
> > working,
> > I won't be wasting $35.
> >
> > Paul
> >

> At first, I had the same problem until I installed the codec that comes
with
> the package. Does the demo have an option to install the codec?

Nope, no option for a codec install.
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 2:52:33 PM

> "James Cobb" <bismarck71@charter.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Sturmtiger" <sturm@gaus.com> wrote in message
>> news:o h8Ce.34001$8o.8482@fed1read03...
>> >
>> > "Kaledin" <kaledin@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> Run

>> > Same here, was looking forward to the game, but after the demo not
>> > working,
>> > I won't be wasting $35.
>> >
>> > Paul
>> >

>> At first, I had the same problem until I installed the codec that comes
> with
>> the package. Does the demo have an option to install the codec?
>>

> Nope, no option for a codec install.

Oh, bad show. Very bad show. It's DIVX codec, if you want to find it on
the Web.
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 2:52:34 PM

> "Sturmtiger" <sturm@gaus.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "James Cobb" <bismarck71@charter.net> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Sturmtiger" <sturm@gaus.com> wrote in message
> >> news:o h8Ce.34001$8o.8482@fed1read03...

> > Run

> >> At first, I had the same problem until I installed the codec that comes
> > with
> >> the package. Does the demo have an option to install the codec?
> >>

> > Nope, no option for a codec install.
> >

> Oh, bad show. Very bad show. It's DIVX codec, if you want to find it on
> the Web.

James,

Thanks. Just downloaded the codec from the DIVX site, am now re-downloading
the demo and will see what happens.

Paul
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 2:52:35 PM

> "James Cobb" <bismarck71@charter.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Sturmtiger" <sturm@gaus.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "James Cobb" <bismarck71@charter.net> wrote in message

> > > Run

> > > with
> > >>

> > > Nope, no option for a codec install.
> > >

> > Oh, bad show. Very bad show. It's DIVX codec, if you want to find it
on
> > the Web.
> >

> James,
>
> Thanks. Just downloaded the codec from the DIVX site, am now
re-downloading
> the demo and will see what happens.
>
> Paul

Just a follow-up, it installed fine, it starts then after the intro it
crashes to the desktop. I give up, too much damn work for a demo, so I'll be
passing on the game.

Paul
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 2:57:03 PM

"Eddy Sterckx" <eddysterckx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> A 193 MB demo is available of this tank sim - better read the system
> requirements before you start downloading :)
>
> http://www.wargamer.com/news/news.asp?nid=2310

It's simply amazing (well, not really) how many hoops you have to go through
to get a stupid file. This page then that page then this page-- on and on.

What's the purpose of a demo? It's to the company's advantage, to give the
consumer a taste of the real thing-- a chance to sell.

Why then does the consumer have to go through page after page, just to get
to a file?

Alanb
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 2:57:04 PM

"Alan Bernardo" <ifeelyourpain@ihatebush.net> wrote in message
news:p _6dnZ-pgvejvUTfRVn-hw@comcast.com...

> "Eddy Sterckx" <eddysterckx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> A 193 MB demo is available of this tank sim - better read the system
>> requirements before you start downloading :)
>>
>> http://www.wargamer.com/news/news.asp?nid=2310
>>

> It's simply amazing (well, not really) how many hoops you have to go
> through to get a stupid file. This page then that page then this page--
> on and on.
>
> What's the purpose of a demo? It's to the company's advantage, to give
> the consumer a taste of the real thing-- a chance to sell.
>
> Why then does the consumer have to go through page after page, just to get
> to a file?
>
> Alanb

I heartily agree. This problem arises when demos are distributed through
third parties. The question is can all publishers afford their own direct
download servers.
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 4:41:23 PM

> "Sturmtiger" <sturm@gaus.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "James Cobb" <bismarck71@charter.net> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Sturmtiger" <sturm@gaus.com> wrote in message

> thing
> all.

> comes

>> > Oh, bad show. Very bad show. It's DIVX codec, if you want to find it
> on
>> > the Web.
>> >

>> James,
>>
>> Thanks. Just downloaded the codec from the DIVX site, am now
> re-downloading
>> the demo and will see what happens.
>>
>> Paul
>>

> Just a follow-up, it installed fine, it starts then after the intro it
> crashes to the desktop. I give up, too much damn work for a demo, so I'll
> be
> passing on the game.
>
> Paul

I definitely see your point. A pity; retail version seems neat so far.
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 8:31:08 PM

> "Alan Bernardo" <ifeelyourpain@ihatebush.net> wrote in message
> news:p _6dnZ-pgvejvUTfRVn-hw@comcast.com...
>>
>> "Eddy Sterckx" <eddysterckx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> A 193 MB demo is available of this tank sim - better read the system
>>> requirements before you start downloading :)
>>>
>>> http://www.wargamer.com/news/news.asp?nid=2310
>>>

>> It's simply amazing (well, not really) how many hoops you have to go
>> through to get a stupid file. This page then that page then this
>> page-- on and on.
>>
>> What's the purpose of a demo? It's to the company's advantage, to
>> give the consumer a taste of the real thing-- a chance to sell.
>>
>> Why then does the consumer have to go through page after page, just
>> to get to a file?
>>
>> Alanb
>>

> I heartily agree. This problem arises when demos are distributed
> through third parties. The question is can all publishers afford
> their own direct download servers.

Hadn't noticed because if you click on the link in the article on the
Wargamer and pick the Gamers's Hell download you're immediatly presented
with a download screen.

http://www.gamershell.com/download_9908.shtml

And no, not all publishers can afford the one-time high peak in
bandwidth and server demand

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

--
"Ceterum censeo Belgicam delendam."
(Cato, 'Pro Gerolphe')
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 8:31:09 PM

>>> It's simply amazing (well, not really) how many hoops you have to go
>>> through to get a stupid file. This page then that page then this
>>> page-- on and on.
>>>
>>> What's the purpose of a demo? It's to the company's advantage, to
>>> give the consumer a taste of the real thing-- a chance to sell.
>>>
>>> Why then does the consumer have to go through page after page, just
>>> to get to a file?
>>>
>>> Alanb
>>>

>> I heartily agree. This problem arises when demos are distributed
>> through third parties. The question is can all publishers afford
>> their own direct download servers.
>
> Hadn't noticed because if you click on the link in the article on the
> Wargamer and pick the Gamers's Hell download you're immediatly presented
> with a download screen.
>
> http://www.gamershell.com/download_9908.shtml

From which you are taken to one screen to pick a download site and then to
another screen that has more advertisements and a ten-second wait. Either
wait the ten seconds (and view an explosion of ads), or click the link to
get the download.

How about maybe a direct link? The internet has turned into one big giant
Wal-Mart. It's really too bad that in order to find some bit of
information, the user has to wade through advertisement after advertisement.

I've been surfing on the Internet since GEnie and the early bulletin boards.
Things have changed, once the greedy grab a-hold of something, that's for
sure.

Alanb
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 8:59:46 PM

Not computer savy here and Ididn't install the codex or whatever yet (I have
full retail version)

Crashed to desktop on normal startup. I went into folder and executed
another execute file, I think the one that skips video and it worked fine.
Looks beautiful..best yet. Even has daisys in the fields swaying;-)
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 8:59:47 PM

"HR" <HR@horizon.net> wrote in message
> Not computer savy here and Ididn't install the codex or whatever yet (I
> have full retail version)
>
> Crashed to desktop on normal startup. I went into folder and executed
> another execute file, I think the one that skips video and it worked fine.
> Looks beautiful..best yet. Even has daisys in the fields swaying;-)

I note the dust partially obscuring the driver's view.
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 9:35:47 PM

"James Cobb" <bismarck71@charter.net> wrote in

> "Sturmtiger" <sturm@gaus.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "James Cobb" <bismarck71@charter.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Sturmtiger" <sturm@gaus.com> wrote in message
>>> news:o h8Ce.34001$8o.8482@fed1read03...

>> Run

>>> At first, I had the same problem until I installed the codec that
>>> comes
>> with
>>> the package. Does the demo have an option to install the codec?
>>>

>> Nope, no option for a codec install.
>>

> Oh, bad show. Very bad show. It's DIVX codec, if you want to find it
> on the Web.

I'm a bit confused here - the installer clearly mentions you both need
DirectX 9.0c and the DivX 5.1 codec with nice round installation buttons
for both if your machine doesn't have these installed already.

Tip : it takes several hits on the "e" key to start the engine :)  and you
can run-over trees :)  - just love this "realism" stuff

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

--
"Ceterum censeo Belgicam delendam."
(Cato, 'Pro Gerolphe')
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 10:18:42 PM

> "James Cobb" <bismarck71@charter.net> wrote in
>

> > "Sturmtiger" <sturm@gaus.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "James Cobb" <bismarck71@charter.net> wrote in message

> >> Run

> >> with
> >>>

> >> Nope, no option for a codec install.
> >>

> > Oh, bad show. Very bad show. It's DIVX codec, if you want to find it
> > on the Web.
>
> I'm a bit confused here - the installer clearly mentions you both need
> DirectX 9.0c and the DivX 5.1 codec with nice round installation buttons
> for both if your machine doesn't have these installed already.
>
> Tip : it takes several hits on the "e" key to start the engine :)  and you
> can run-over trees :)  - just love this "realism" stuff
>
> Greetz,
>
> Eddy Sterckx

Except the installer wasn't launching without the DIVX codec, and it did not
mention that fact on the download page.

At any rate, like I said, too much work, so I'll just fire up SR2010 or HOI2
for another game ;-)

Paul
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 1:25:20 AM

> "Eddy Sterckx" <eddysterckx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> "James Cobb" <bismarck71@charter.net> wrote in
>>

>> > "Sturmtiger" <sturm@gaus.com> wrote in message

>> > Oh, bad show. Very bad show. It's DIVX codec, if you want to find it
>> > on the Web.
>>
>> I'm a bit confused here - the installer clearly mentions you both need
>> DirectX 9.0c and the DivX 5.1 codec with nice round installation buttons
>> for both if your machine doesn't have these installed already.
>>
>> Tip : it takes several hits on the "e" key to start the engine :)  and you
>> can run-over trees :)  - just love this "realism" stuff
>>
>> Greetz,
>>
>> Eddy Sterckx
>
> Except the installer wasn't launching without the DIVX codec, and it did
> not
> mention that fact on the download page.
>
> At any rate, like I said, too much work, so I'll just fire up SR2010 or
> HOI2
> for another game ;-)
>
> Paul

Wise choice, considering.i
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 1:57:02 AM

> From which you are taken to one screen to pick a download site and then to
> another screen that has more advertisements and a ten-second wait. Either
> wait the ten seconds (and view an explosion of ads), or click the link to
> get the download.
>
> How about maybe a direct link? The internet has turned into one big giant
> Wal-Mart. It's really too bad that in order to find some bit of
> information, the user has to wade through advertisement after advertisement.
>
> I've been surfing on the Internet since GEnie and the early bulletin boards.
> Things have changed, once the greedy grab a-hold of something, that's for
> sure.
>
> Alanb

This irritates me too, but a lot of times the companies need to make
money somehow. The demo is free after all. Yes, they offer it because
they want to increase sales. They still have to pay for it. There are
a lot more evil ways to make money.

--

Epi

------------
In the tradition of the Yugo, Bosnia has come out
with a new car. It's called the Bozo.
------------
http://www.curlesneck.com
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 2:25:01 AM

Alan Bernardo wrote:

> How about maybe a direct link? The internet has turned into one big giant
> Wal-Mart. It's really too bad that in order to find some bit of
> information, the user has to wade through advertisement after advertisement.

What did you expect? Someone's got to pay for all that bandwidth. The
net has *never* been free. Even if you weren't paying for it directly,
you can be assured that somebody else was.

> I've been surfing on the Internet since GEnie and the early bulletin boards.

I've been online since before there *was* an internet; or at least
before the general public had access to it.

> Things have changed, once the greedy grab a-hold of something, that's for
> sure.

What has changed is that access is now nearly universal rather than
limited to the few well informed, which means that costs have risen as
well. And it's certainly not greed that impels those that offer free
downloads! They're just trying to survive. Get a grip!
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 3:41:02 AM

>>> I heartily agree. This problem arises when demos are distributed
>>> through third parties. The question is can all publishers afford
>>> their own direct download servers.
>>
>> Hadn't noticed because if you click on the link in the article on the
>> Wargamer and pick the Gamers's Hell download you're immediatly
>> presented with a download screen.
>>
>> http://www.gamershell.com/download_9908.shtml
>>

> From which you are taken to one screen to pick a download site

Which is the sensible thing - so you can pick the server with the
smallest load.

> and
> then to another screen that has more advertisements and a ten-second
> wait. Either wait the ten seconds (and view an explosion of ads), or
> click the link to get the download.

Or you can do what I do : alt-tabbing out of the browser into a game in
progress and wait for the save-dialog :)

> How about maybe a direct link? The internet has turned into one big
> giant Wal-Mart. It's really too bad that in order to find some bit of
> information, the user has to wade through advertisement after
> advertisement.

There's no such thing as a free lunch :)

> I've been surfing on the Internet since GEnie and the early bulletin
> boards. Things have changed, once the greedy grab a-hold of something,
> that's for sure.

Old Compuserver and BBS'er here as well - sometimes I had to spend hours
logging into different BBS'es just to find that one patch or piece of
code. I'm fully willing to watch some advertisement if that pays for the
speed with which I'm tracking down the things I need now. Sometimes you
only remember the good parts of the Goold Old Times.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

--
"Ceterum censeo Belgicam delendam."
(Cato, 'Pro Gerolphe')
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 4:55:14 AM

>They're just trying to survive. Get a grip!

I disagree. They are trying to make a buck, as much as possible and in any
way possible, and at anyone's expense, legally or illegally.

Alanb
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 9:18:30 AM

In article <MJidneKYs9QpeUTfRVn-hQ@comcast.com>,
ifeelyourpain@ihatebush.net says...
> >They're just trying to survive. Get a grip!
>
> I disagree. They are trying to make a buck, as much as possible and in any
> way possible, and at anyone's expense, legally or illegally.
>
> Alanb

Legally or illegaly. Are you saying this should be illegal? There is
the alternative of course. No extra clicks and no download. Click all
you want then, but it won't work.

--

Epi

------------
In the tradition of the Yugo, Bosnia has come out
with a new car. It's called the Bozo.
------------
http://www.curlesneck.com
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 11:26:34 AM

"Sturmtiger" <sturm@gaus.com> wrote in

> Except the installer wasn't launching without the DIVX codec, and it
> did not mention that fact on the download page.

Oops - Catch 22 - You can install DivX, but only if DivX is already
installed - somebody is going to get his behind kicked for this.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

--
"Ceterum censeo Belgicam delendam."
(Cato, 'Pro Gerolphe')
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 3:15:38 PM

Alan Bernardo wrote:

>> Briarroot wrote:
>>
>> They're just trying to survive. Get a grip!
>>

> I disagree. They are trying to make a buck, as much as possible and in any
> way possible, and at anyone's expense, legally or illegally.

"What a maroon!" - Bugs Bunny
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 10:12:01 PM

"Briarroot" <woodsyl@iwon.com> wrote in message
> Alan Bernardo wrote:
>>
>>> Briarroot wrote:
>>>
>>> They're just trying to survive. Get a grip!
>>>

>> I disagree. They are trying to make a buck, as much as possible and in
>> any
>> way possible, and at anyone's expense, legally or illegally.
>>

> "What a maroon!" - Bugs Bunny

Boy, you do use the authoritative sources, don't you. The internet has
turned into one big scam. The money-grubbers have gotten a-hold of it and
turned it into one big advertisement.

There's still some useful information and things to do on the internet; it's
just a shame that users have to wade through all this nonsense to find
what's useful.

And please, no more of your inane responses. I've seen enough of your
intellectual acumen.

Alanb
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 10:12:02 PM

> "Briarroot" <woodsyl@iwon.com> wrote in message

>>> I disagree. They are trying to make a buck, as much as possible and in
>>> any
>>> way possible, and at anyone's expense, legally or illegally.
>>>

>> "What a maroon!" - Bugs Bunny
>
> Boy, you do use the authoritative sources, don't you. The internet has
> turned into one big scam. The money-grubbers have gotten a-hold of it and
> turned it into one big advertisement.
>
> There's still some useful information and things to do on the internet;
> it's just a shame that users have to wade through all this nonsense to
> find what's useful.
>
> And please, no more of your inane responses. I've seen enough of your
> intellectual acumen.
>
> Alanb

And I've seen enough of your responses.
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 3:08:37 AM

"Alan Bernardo" <ifeelyourpain@ihatebush.net> wrote in

> Boy, you do use the authoritative sources, don't you. The internet
> has turned into one big scam. The money-grubbers have gotten a-hold
> of it and turned it into one big advertisement.

Yup, there sure must be something wrong with the current setup of me
wanting to buy wargames and publishers vying for my money by producing
and advertising wargames - and me just thinking the Internet is the
ideal place for this sort of transaction. Of course it isn't - let's go
back to the good old days of AH when a paper catalog and the odd review
in a magazine was all you had to go on to make a buying decision ...

I'm pretty pleased with the web as it is today - it's the ultimate
democracy/marketplace, where every product/opinion can make a claim for
itself. It's a healthy mix of advertisements (seller's opinion) and
reviews/dedicated websites and forum posts (buyer's opinion) on any
product. It's the ability to have a look at both sides of the medal that
distinguishes the internet from all other media.

> There's still some useful information and things to do on the
> internet; it's just a shame that users have to wade through all this
> nonsense to find what's useful.

Yeah, it sure would be handy if some committee decided what's useful and
what isn't and banned the latter ... maybe an idea for the European
Parliament ...

> And please, no more of your inane responses. I've seen enough of your
> intellectual acumen.

You could apply to become a member of the committee that approves

If I sound a bit sarcastic, it's because you're either incredibly naive
or haven't really thought out the consequences of and alternatives to
your ideas and opinions.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

--
"Ceterum censeo Belgicam delendam."
(Cato, 'Pro Gerolphe')
July 19, 2005 3:08:38 AM

> "Alan Bernardo" <ifeelyourpain@ihatebush.net> wrote in
>
> > Boy, you do use the authoritative sources, don't you. The internet
> > has turned into one big scam. The money-grubbers have gotten a-hold
> > of it and turned it into one big advertisement.
>
> Yup, there sure must be something wrong with the current setup of me
> wanting to buy wargames and publishers vying for my money by producing
> and advertising wargames - and me just thinking the Internet is the
> ideal place for this sort of transaction. Of course it isn't - let's go
> back to the good old days of AH when a paper catalog and the odd review
> in a magazine was all you had to go on to make a buying decision ...
>
> I'm pretty pleased with the web as it is today - it's the ultimate
> democracy/marketplace, where every product/opinion can make a claim for
> itself. It's a healthy mix of advertisements (seller's opinion) and
> reviews/dedicated websites and forum posts (buyer's opinion) on any
> product. It's the ability to have a look at both sides of the medal that
> distinguishes the internet from all other media.
>
> > There's still some useful information and things to do on the
> > internet; it's just a shame that users have to wade through all this
> > nonsense to find what's useful.
>
> Yeah, it sure would be handy if some committee decided what's useful and
> what isn't and banned the latter ... maybe an idea for the European
> Parliament ...
>
> > And please, no more of your inane responses. I've seen enough of your
> > intellectual acumen.
>
> You could apply to become a member of the committee that approves
>
> If I sound a bit sarcastic, it's because you're either incredibly naive
> or haven't really thought out the consequences of and alternatives to
> your ideas and opinions.
>
> Greetz,
>
> Eddy Sterckx
>
> --
> "Ceterum censeo Belgicam delendam."
> (Cato, 'Pro Gerolphe')

Regarding him, in many matters Eddy, it's the former. Definate kumbaya
stargazer. Niavte is a requirement for membership to that club <g>
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 3:08:38 AM

"Eddy Sterckx" <eddysterckx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> - and me just thinking the Internet is the
> ideal place for this sort of transaction. Of course it isn't - let's go
> back to the good old days of AH when a paper catalog and the odd review >
> in a magazine was all you had to go on to make a buying decision ...

They had magazines?????? All I had to make my decision was the back of the
box;-)
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 3:08:38 AM

> You could apply to become a member of the committee that approves
>
> If I sound a bit sarcastic, it's because you're either incredibly naive
> or haven't really thought out the consequences of and alternatives to
> your ideas and opinions.

I had no alternatives, did I? All I'm saying is that nearly all that is
done is done because it benefits the person and that person's intentions are
to make as much money as possible with the least bit of strain or good
intentions.

Many do not think for themselves but allow advertisers, television, and the
internet to think for them. If you happen to be one of those who want to
make money at other peoples' expense, then of course you're going to think
that I am "incredibly naive" and what you do is serving some purpose other
than making yourself some money.

By the amount of advertising that you do in here, I would think your purpose
is something other than helping others. I would expect, then, for you to
have such a nasty response to my naiveté.

Alanb
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 3:58:04 AM

HR schreef:

> They had magazines?????? All I had to make my decision was the back of the
> box;-)

Poor you - of course you had to take into account the objectivity of an
AH game "review" in a magazine like "The General" :)

I actually bought games (both board and computer) based on 1 screenshot
and a short description by the publisher in a paper catalogue. Games I
played just once, because I found out too late I didn't like them or
they were just unplayable IRL. An internet like it exists today would
have saved me lots of money which as a kid on an allowance back then
mattered a lot more than it does today.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 4:28:50 AM

Alan Bernardo schreef:

> I had no alternatives, did I? All I'm saying is that nearly all that is
> done is done because it benefits the person and that person's intentions are
> to make as much money as possible with the least bit of strain or good
> intentions.

Have a good look around the Internet - apart from company websites
almost everything you'll find is made by people who dedicate their time
and money to something they think matters, things they believe in or a
hobby they want to promote. Nobody is paying them and they don't have a
hidden agenda.

> Many do not think for themselves but allow advertisers, television, and the
> internet to think for them.

Yes, it sure is a bad thing that people get to hear both sides of a
story. <Sigh> gone are the good old days when the town paper owner, the
local school-teacher and the minister decided what the people should
think.

> If you happen to be one of those who want to
> make money at other peoples' expense, then of course you're going to think
> that I am "incredibly naive" and what you do is serving some purpose other
> than making yourself some money.

Didn't you know I get paid by the word I type in here ?

> By the amount of advertising that you do in here, I would think your purpose
> is something other than helping others.

LOL - think it through and post a list of other possible sinister
purposes I might have. Oops - might have given it away a couple of
lines above this.

> I would expect, then, for you to
> have such a nasty response to my naiveté.

It wasn't meant as a nasty response - really - it was meant to be
sarcastic so you'd see the consequences of and alternatives to your
ideas. Pardon me if I think that you're not accustomed to people
challenging your pov IRL and feel personally attacked/challenged when
someone challenges your beliefs.

But if it makes you feel any better : I wouldn't waste my sarcasm on
someone I didn't consider intelligent enough to see what I was trying
to accomplish by being sarcastic : force him to have a fresh look at
his assumptions and beliefs.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 4:50:19 AM

Alan Bernardo schreef:
> I do appreciate what Eddy does here. He's not
> spamming necessarily. He's giving the group information about what
> interests the group. But when you go to one of his links (which, we all
> admit, is rather incessant), I don't particularly care to have to wade
> through oceans of advertisements. In having to do so, that makes me more
> inclined to think that Eddy has something else in mind, rather than giving
> the group what it wants.

LOL - I'll clue you in : I'm almost always posting direct links to
ftp-servers for things like patches so people in here can actually
avoid having to wade through http pages at a publisher's site. I had to
wade throught them and view all the evil advertisements, but I want to
spare the people in here that vile experience (that, or I think it's
more handy to have a direct ftp link). But that approach doesn't make
sense for a demo of a new game : for this people want to know what the
game is all about before starting a 200 MB download. Hence I link to a
descriptive page either at the publisher's site or at sites like the
Wargamer who do a pretty good job of keeping up with everything new.

And I'm very curious as to what your ideas about my intentions and
purposes are - really - don't hold back, I won't be offended because
I'm fascinated by that sort of stuff. It's like someone holding up a
new kind of mirror for you to look at yourself - a refreshing
experience.

> Have a nice evening,

It's morning over here :)  - and no this isn't about trying to show you
the relativity of your thoughts :)

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 5:15:35 AM

Epi schreef:

> So, that's not eddie, or do you figure he works for every company that's
> ever made a wargame, and advertises for all of them.

Pretty much sums it up - pays pretty good too :)

But in a sense Mr. Bernardo is correct : I do get "paid" as in

- the occasional review copy of a new game when I ask for it
- people mailing me with secret/confidential information and rumours (I
just love that part as I'm a curious monkey)
- got to know a lot of insiders and they got to know me, resulting in
amongst other things me getting offered to become a beta-tester of the
Airborne Assault engine.
- and last but not least : tap the vast knowledge and ideas of people
in here. I've learned a lot in here and though I occasionally fall into
the trap of pontificating I do try to listen to everyone's opinions and
ideas.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 6:17:13 AM

Alan Bernardo wrote:
SNIP

> This is a goofy response. I do appreciate what Eddy does here. He's not
> spamming necessarily. He's giving the group information about what
> interests the group. But when you go to one of his links (which, we all
> admit, is rather incessant), I don't particularly care to have to wade
> through oceans of advertisements. In having to do so, that makes me more
> inclined to think that Eddy has something else in mind, rather than giving
> the group what it wants.

SNIP

Since every webpage (not owned by a private individual) has banners and
advertisements on it, how would Eddy refer to an article or page
without exposing the reader to banners and advertisements?
This does not compute.

Should he stop posting his links to protect the unwary?
Should he only link to advert-free sites?

*I* do not particularly care for adverts, but accept it as the price
for surfing the web - presumably like the rest of war-hist.

Are you sure you do not want to stick to the advert-free
teletext/minitel/ceefax information pages on your TV and let the nasty,
commercial Internet be?

Regards,

-von Schmidt
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 6:30:42 AM

von Schmidt schreef:
> Are you sure you do not want to stick to the advert-free
> teletext/minitel/ceefax information pages on your TV and let the nasty,
> commercial Internet be?

Maybe simply stick to UseNet - advert free information :)

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

* This post sponsered by : Conquest of the Aegean
* The newest game in the Airborne Assault series
* by Panther Games - http://www.panthergames.com
July 19, 2005 6:38:39 AM

In article <u6-dnWijoPX2z0HfRVn-oA@comcast.com>,
ifeelyourpain@ihatebush.net says...

> > You could apply to become a member of the committee that approves
> >
> > If I sound a bit sarcastic, it's because you're either incredibly naive
> > or haven't really thought out the consequences of and alternatives to
> > your ideas and opinions.
> >

> I had no alternatives, did I? All I'm saying is that nearly all that is
> done is done because it benefits the person and that person's intentions are
> to make as much money as possible with the least bit of strain or good
> intentions.

Do you have something against people trying to make money? BTW where is
that magic pot of gold that pays for things like demo downloads? Could
you clue us in? Maybe I could get some.

> Many do not think for themselves but allow advertisers, television, and the
> internet to think for them.

Are you offering to think for others? I smell censorship right around
the corner.

> By the amount of advertising that you do in here, I would think your purpose
> is something other than helping others. I would expect, then, for you to
> have such a nasty response to my naiveté.
>
> Alanb

Oh jesus! Another one.

--

Epi

------------
In the tradition of the Yugo, Bosnia has come out
with a new car. It's called the Bozo.
------------
http://www.curlesneck.com
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 6:38:40 AM

>Do you have something against people trying to make money? BTW where is
>that magic pot of gold that pays for things like demo downloads? Could
>you clue us in? Maybe I could get some.

Of course I have nothing against someone making money. What I do despise
are those who say they are doing some common good while they make money,
when in fact they have no interest but to make money.

> Many do not think for themselves but allow advertisers, television, and
> the
> internet to think for them.

>Are you offering to think for others? I smell censorship right around
>the corner.

A very common response, this is. I am against censorship and never once
mentioned such a thing. All I'm looking for is a little honesty. I'm not
expecting anyone to say, "Buy my product, even though it will cost you 20
times over what it costs me to produce it; and though I could sell it for
less, I'm not going to, because I want to make as much money as possible. I
am not concerned with your pocketbook, only with mine."

But I don't expect people to say they are selling something because they
care about someone's wellfare, when in fact all they care about is making a
quick buck.

> By the amount of advertising that you do in here, I would think your
> purpose
> is something other than helping others. I would expect, then, for you to
> have such a nasty response to my naiveté.
>
> Alanb

>Oh jesus! Another one.

This is a goofy response. I do appreciate what Eddy does here. He's not
spamming necessarily. He's giving the group information about what
interests the group. But when you go to one of his links (which, we all
admit, is rather incessant), I don't particularly care to have to wade
through oceans of advertisements. In having to do so, that makes me more
inclined to think that Eddy has something else in mind, rather than giving
the group what it wants.

That's simple enough, no? Don't come back with some such stuff as I'm
"delusional". If you think these kinds of things aren't happening all over
the place and it's getting worse and worse, then it's not me who is
delusional.

Have a nice evening,

Alanb
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 6:57:32 AM

eddysterckx@hotmail.com wrote:
> von Schmidt schreef:
> > Are you sure you do not want to stick to the advert-free
> > teletext/minitel/ceefax information pages on your TV and let the nasty,
> > commercial Internet be?
>
> Maybe simply stick to UseNet - advert free information :)
>
> Greetz,
>
> Eddy Sterckx

Ah, but there is where you are wrong!
The fact that sometimes games get praised by posters on usenet is a
clear indication of crypto-commercial influences reaching for the
innocent reader.

Next thing you know, posters will recommendent we *buy* certain games.
The horror!

I'm not naming any names (yet!), but all are warned that I'm keeping a
list for the day when the oppressed masses will rise and wash away all
commercial content and intentions on the Internet.

Leaving us with a glorious new People's Net, consisting
of....um...usenet.

-von Schmidt
(Raise the Red Banner!)
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 8:15:49 AM

Giftzwerg schreef:

> Five'll get ya ten he's a teacher of some kind; they always talk like
> this.

You're on :)  - I'm saying he can't be a teacher because his spelling is
too good :)  But I've got to admit he's got the same posting style and
world view/ideas as Henri Arsenault, but I don't think he would come
back in here posting under anything else but his own name. That
wouldn't be Henri's style.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 9:48:53 AM

In article <98udnWRaubcc60HfRVn-qA@comcast.com>,
ifeelyourpain@ihatebush.net says...

> >Do you have something against people trying to make money? BTW where is
> >that magic pot of gold that pays for things like demo downloads? Could
> >you clue us in? Maybe I could get some.
>
> Of course I have nothing against someone making money. What I do despise
> are those who say they are doing some common good while they make money,
> when in fact they have no interest but to make money.

TRANSLATION: "As a good little socialist, of *course* it chaps my ass
when someone actually makes money, but if I say so in the current
climate - where only Bernie Sanders and Ken Livingstone still believe in
the One True Cross - everyone laughs at me."

--
Giftzwerg
***

In article <Xns9698A317AC37eddysterckxhotmailco@216.143.170.43>,
eddysterckx@hotmail.com says...

> > Boy, you do use the authoritative sources, don't you. The internet
> > has turned into one big scam. The money-grubbers have gotten a-hold
> > of it and turned it into one big advertisement.
>
> Yup, there sure must be something wrong with the current setup of me
> wanting to buy wargames and publishers vying for my money by producing
> and advertising wargames - and me just thinking the Internet is the
> ideal place for this sort of transaction. Of course it isn't - let's go
> back to the good old days of AH when a paper catalog and the odd review
> in a magazine was all you had to go on to make a buying decision ...

Magazines!!?!?!?

Feh. Nothing but a filthy stew of commercial advertisements throughout.

Damn them. Damn them all to hell.

--
Giftzwerg
***
"So did Rove leak Plame's name to me, or tell me she
was covert? No."
- Matt Cooper
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 10:39:54 AM

Alan Bernardo wrote:
> "Briarroot" <woodsyl@iwon.com> wrote in message

>>>I disagree. They are trying to make a buck, as much as possible and in
>>>any
>>>way possible, and at anyone's expense, legally or illegally.
>>>

>>"What a maroon!" - Bugs Bunny
>

> Boy, you do use the authoritative sources, don't you.

Well, ol' Bugs is a great philosopher... compared to you.

> The internet has
> turned into one big scam. The money-grubbers have gotten a-hold of it and
> turned it into one big advertisement.

Just what kind of nut are you? And why do you think making a living is
"money grubbing?" Do you earn your own living, or are Mommy and Daddy
still taking care of you?

> There's still some useful information and things to do on the internet; it's
> just a shame that users have to wade through all this nonsense to find
> what's useful.

Nonsense like your posts, you mean?

> And please, no more of your inane responses. I've seen enough of your
> intellectual acumen.

"Eh... what's up, doc?" - Bugs Bunny
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 10:52:36 AM

Alan Bernardo wrote:

> I had no alternatives, did I? All I'm saying is that nearly all that is
> done is done because it benefits the person and that person's intentions are
> to make as much money as possible with the least bit of strain or good
> intentions.

Making a living *is* "good intentions.

> Many do not think for themselves but allow advertisers, television, and the
> internet to think for them. If you happen to be one of those who want to
> make money at other peoples' expense, then of course you're going to think
> that I am "incredibly naive" and what you do is serving some purpose other
> than making yourself some money.

Oh, I get it now.

Dear Alan,
Marx was wrong, Lenin was a liar, and Stalin was really just a fascist
dictator. Get a clue!

Money makes the world go around. The internet (as ARPANet) was
originally built with money which came from US taxpayers. You know:
taxpayers; those people who actually work for a living. Once the
internet was cut loose from the US Government's revenue stream, it
needed to become self supporting. Translation: it needed to start
turning a profit. Profit is now what drives the whole thing. Profit is
a Good Thing(tm)!

> By the amount of advertising that you do in here, I would think your purpose
> is something other than helping others. I would expect, then, for you to
> have such a nasty response to my naiveté.

Helping others? <dissolves in helpless laughter!>

Naivete is far too mild. Childish stupidity is more like it.
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 11:01:34 AM

In article <11dpm7lj09ble42@corp.supernews.com>, woodsyl@iwon.com
says...

> > The internet has
> > turned into one big scam. The money-grubbers have gotten a-hold of it and
> > turned it into one big advertisement.
>
> Just what kind of nut are you? And why do you think making a living is
> "money grubbing?" Do you earn your own living, or are Mommy and Daddy
> still taking care of you?

Five'll get ya ten he's a teacher of some kind; they always talk like
this.

--
Giftzwerg
***
"So did Rove leak Plame's name to me, or tell me she
was covert? No."
- Matt Cooper
July 19, 2005 8:11:28 PM

"Giftzwerg" <giftzwerg999@NOSPAMZ.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> In article <11dpm7lj09ble42@corp.supernews.com>, woodsyl@iwon.com
> says...
>
> > > The internet has
> > > turned into one big scam. The money-grubbers have gotten a-hold of it
and
> > > turned it into one big advertisement.
> >
> > Just what kind of nut are you? And why do you think making a living is
> > "money grubbing?" Do you earn your own living, or are Mommy and Daddy
> > still taking care of you?
>
> Five'll get ya ten he's a teacher of some kind; they always talk like
> this.
>
> --
> Giftzwerg
> ***
> "So did Rove leak Plame's name to me, or tell me she
> was covert? No."
> - Matt Cooper

Yep. And what's the saying........"Those that can, do. Those that
can't, teach"
      • 1 / 2
      • 2
      • Newest