T-72 Balkans on Fire - Demo available

Thanx for the info. You just helped me save $35. It's a good thing I
downloaded the demo before buying it. The demo doesn't work at all. Run
the executable and it does nothing. I won't be buying it.

Kaledin

In article <Xns969574773682eddysterckxhotmailco@216.143.170.48>,
eddysterckx@hotmail.com says...
> Hi,
>
> A 193 MB demo is available of this tank sim - better read the system
> requirements before you start downloading :)
>
> http://www.wargamer.com/news/news.asp?nid=2310
>
> Greetz,
>
> Eddy Sterckx

I can't believe you saw that, but missed the Bet on Soldier demo right
next to it.

--

Epi

------------
In the tradition of the Yugo, Bosnia has come out
with a new car. It's called the Bozo.
------------
http://www.curlesneck.com

"Kaledin" <kaledin@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> Thanx for the info. You just helped me save $35. It's a good thing I
> downloaded the demo before buying it. The demo doesn't work at all. Run
> the executable and it does nothing. I won't be buying it.
>
> Kaledin

Same here, was looking forward to the game, but after the demo not working,
I won't be wasting $35.

Paul

Epi <epicat1212@hotmail.com> wrote in news:MPG.1d420f3f78c08e28989774
@news.east.earthlink.net:

> I can't believe you saw that, but missed the Bet on Soldier demo right
> next to it.

Who said I missed it ? :)

I just didn't think it was appropriate in here - but that's just taste -
feel free to post links if you find something you think might be
interesting for the people in here.

Sometimes I regret that I didn't post about something - like for
instance about Supreme Ruler 2010 - which on second thought is just as
much a wargame as HoI 2.

Post away.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

--

In article <Xns96955AA89E3FDeddysterckxhotmailco@67.98.68.19>,
eddysterckx@hotmail.com says...
> Epi <epicat1212@hotmail.com> wrote in news:MPG.1d420f3f78c08e28989774
> @news.east.earthlink.net:
>
> > I can't believe you saw that, but missed the Bet on Soldier demo right
> > next to it.
>
> Who said I missed it ? :)
>
> I just didn't think it was appropriate in here - but that's just taste -
> feel free to post links if you find something you think might be
> interesting for the people in here.
>
> Sometimes I regret that I didn't post about something - like for
> instance about Supreme Ruler 2010 - which on second thought is just as
> much a wargame as HoI 2.
>
> Post away.
>
> Greetz,
>
> Eddy Sterckx

I was just being silly. I thought it was a rather tasteless title.

--

Epi

------------

"Sturmtiger" <sturm@gaus.com> wrote in message

> "Kaledin" <kaledin@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>> Thanx for the info. You just helped me save $35. It's a good thing I
>> downloaded the demo before buying it. The demo doesn't work at all. Run
>> the executable and it does nothing. I won't be buying it.
>>
>> Kaledin
>
> Same here, was looking forward to the game, but after the demo not
> working,
> I won't be wasting $35.
>
> Paul

At first, I had the same problem until I installed the codec that comes with
the package. Does the demo have an option to install the codec?

"James Cobb" <bismarck71@charter.net> wrote in message

> "Sturmtiger" <sturm@gaus.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Kaledin" <kaledin@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> >> Thanx for the info. You just helped me save $35. It's a good thing I
> >> downloaded the demo before buying it. The demo doesn't work at all.
Run
> >> the executable and it does nothing. I won't be buying it.
> >>
> >> Kaledin
> >
> > Same here, was looking forward to the game, but after the demo not
> > working,
> > I won't be wasting $35.
> >
> > Paul
> >

> At first, I had the same problem until I installed the codec that comes
with
> the package. Does the demo have an option to install the codec?

Nope, no option for a codec install.

> "James Cobb" <bismarck71@charter.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Sturmtiger" <sturm@gaus.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Kaledin" <kaledin@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> Run

>> > Same here, was looking forward to the game, but after the demo not
>> > working,
>> > I won't be wasting $35.
>> >
>> > Paul
>> >

>> At first, I had the same problem until I installed the codec that comes
> with
>> the package. Does the demo have an option to install the codec?
>>

> Nope, no option for a codec install.

Oh, bad show. Very bad show. It's DIVX codec, if you want to find it on
the Web.

> "Sturmtiger" <sturm@gaus.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "James Cobb" <bismarck71@charter.net> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Sturmtiger" <sturm@gaus.com> wrote in message

> > Run

> >> At first, I had the same problem until I installed the codec that comes
> > with
> >> the package. Does the demo have an option to install the codec?
> >>

> > Nope, no option for a codec install.
> >

> Oh, bad show. Very bad show. It's DIVX codec, if you want to find it on
> the Web.

James,

Thanks. Just downloaded the codec from the DIVX site, am now re-downloading
the demo and will see what happens.

Paul

> "James Cobb" <bismarck71@charter.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Sturmtiger" <sturm@gaus.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "James Cobb" <bismarck71@charter.net> wrote in message

> > > Run

> > > with
> > >>

> > > Nope, no option for a codec install.
> > >

> > Oh, bad show. Very bad show. It's DIVX codec, if you want to find it
on
> > the Web.
> >

> James,
>
> Thanks. Just downloaded the codec from the DIVX site, am now
re-downloading
> the demo and will see what happens.
>
> Paul

Just a follow-up, it installed fine, it starts then after the intro it
crashes to the desktop. I give up, too much damn work for a demo, so I'll be
passing on the game.

Paul

"Eddy Sterckx" <eddysterckx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> A 193 MB demo is available of this tank sim - better read the system
> requirements before you start downloading :)
>
> http://www.wargamer.com/news/news.asp?nid=2310

It's simply amazing (well, not really) how many hoops you have to go through
to get a stupid file. This page then that page then this page-- on and on.

What's the purpose of a demo? It's to the company's advantage, to give the
consumer a taste of the real thing-- a chance to sell.

Why then does the consumer have to go through page after page, just to get
to a file?

Alanb

"Alan Bernardo" <ifeelyourpain@ihatebush.net> wrote in message

> "Eddy Sterckx" <eddysterckx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> A 193 MB demo is available of this tank sim - better read the system
>> requirements before you start downloading :)
>>
>> http://www.wargamer.com/news/news.asp?nid=2310
>>

> It's simply amazing (well, not really) how many hoops you have to go
> through to get a stupid file. This page then that page then this page--
> on and on.
>
> What's the purpose of a demo? It's to the company's advantage, to give
> the consumer a taste of the real thing-- a chance to sell.
>
> Why then does the consumer have to go through page after page, just to get
> to a file?
>
> Alanb

I heartily agree. This problem arises when demos are distributed through
third parties. The question is can all publishers afford their own direct
download servers.

> "Sturmtiger" <sturm@gaus.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "James Cobb" <bismarck71@charter.net> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Sturmtiger" <sturm@gaus.com> wrote in message

> thing
> all.

> comes

>> > Oh, bad show. Very bad show. It's DIVX codec, if you want to find it
> on
>> > the Web.
>> >

>> James,
>>
>> Thanks. Just downloaded the codec from the DIVX site, am now
> re-downloading
>> the demo and will see what happens.
>>
>> Paul
>>

> Just a follow-up, it installed fine, it starts then after the intro it
> crashes to the desktop. I give up, too much damn work for a demo, so I'll
> be
> passing on the game.
>
> Paul

I definitely see your point. A pity; retail version seems neat so far.

> "Alan Bernardo" <ifeelyourpain@ihatebush.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Eddy Sterckx" <eddysterckx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> A 193 MB demo is available of this tank sim - better read the system
>>> requirements before you start downloading :)
>>>
>>> http://www.wargamer.com/news/news.asp?nid=2310
>>>

>> It's simply amazing (well, not really) how many hoops you have to go
>> through to get a stupid file. This page then that page then this
>> page-- on and on.
>>
>> What's the purpose of a demo? It's to the company's advantage, to
>> give the consumer a taste of the real thing-- a chance to sell.
>>
>> Why then does the consumer have to go through page after page, just
>> to get to a file?
>>
>> Alanb
>>

> I heartily agree. This problem arises when demos are distributed
> through third parties. The question is can all publishers afford
> their own direct download servers.

Hadn't noticed because if you click on the link in the article on the
Wargamer and pick the Gamers's Hell download you're immediatly presented
with a download screen.

http://www.gamershell.com/download_9908.shtml

And no, not all publishers can afford the one-time high peak in
bandwidth and server demand

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

--
"Ceterum censeo Belgicam delendam."
(Cato, 'Pro Gerolphe')

>>> It's simply amazing (well, not really) how many hoops you have to go
>>> through to get a stupid file. This page then that page then this
>>> page-- on and on.
>>>
>>> What's the purpose of a demo? It's to the company's advantage, to
>>> give the consumer a taste of the real thing-- a chance to sell.
>>>
>>> Why then does the consumer have to go through page after page, just
>>> to get to a file?
>>>
>>> Alanb
>>>

>> I heartily agree. This problem arises when demos are distributed
>> through third parties. The question is can all publishers afford
>> their own direct download servers.
>
> Hadn't noticed because if you click on the link in the article on the
> Wargamer and pick the Gamers's Hell download you're immediatly presented
> with a download screen.
>
> http://www.gamershell.com/download_9908.shtml

From which you are taken to one screen to pick a download site and then to
another screen that has more advertisements and a ten-second wait. Either
wait the ten seconds (and view an explosion of ads), or click the link to
get the download.

How about maybe a direct link? The internet has turned into one big giant
Wal-Mart. It's really too bad that in order to find some bit of
information, the user has to wade through advertisement after advertisement.

I've been surfing on the Internet since GEnie and the early bulletin boards.
Things have changed, once the greedy grab a-hold of something, that's for
sure.

Alanb

Not computer savy here and Ididn't install the codex or whatever yet (I have
full retail version)

Crashed to desktop on normal startup. I went into folder and executed
another execute file, I think the one that skips video and it worked fine.
Looks beautiful..best yet. Even has daisys in the fields swaying;-)

"HR" <HR@horizon.net> wrote in message
> Not computer savy here and Ididn't install the codex or whatever yet (I
> have full retail version)
>
> Crashed to desktop on normal startup. I went into folder and executed
> another execute file, I think the one that skips video and it worked fine.
> Looks beautiful..best yet. Even has daisys in the fields swaying;-)

I note the dust partially obscuring the driver's view.

"James Cobb" <bismarck71@charter.net> wrote in

> "Sturmtiger" <sturm@gaus.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "James Cobb" <bismarck71@charter.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Sturmtiger" <sturm@gaus.com> wrote in message

>> Run

>>> At first, I had the same problem until I installed the codec that
>>> comes
>> with
>>> the package. Does the demo have an option to install the codec?
>>>

>> Nope, no option for a codec install.
>>

> Oh, bad show. Very bad show. It's DIVX codec, if you want to find it
> on the Web.

I'm a bit confused here - the installer clearly mentions you both need
DirectX 9.0c and the DivX 5.1 codec with nice round installation buttons
for both if your machine doesn't have these installed already.

Tip : it takes several hits on the "e" key to start the engine :) and you
can run-over trees :) - just love this "realism" stuff

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

--

> "James Cobb" <bismarck71@charter.net> wrote in
>

> > "Sturmtiger" <sturm@gaus.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "James Cobb" <bismarck71@charter.net> wrote in message

> >> Run

> >> with
> >>>

> >> Nope, no option for a codec install.
> >>

> > Oh, bad show. Very bad show. It's DIVX codec, if you want to find it
> > on the Web.
>
> I'm a bit confused here - the installer clearly mentions you both need
> DirectX 9.0c and the DivX 5.1 codec with nice round installation buttons
> for both if your machine doesn't have these installed already.
>
> Tip : it takes several hits on the "e" key to start the engine :) and you
> can run-over trees :) - just love this "realism" stuff
>
> Greetz,
>
> Eddy Sterckx

Except the installer wasn't launching without the DIVX codec, and it did not
mention that fact on the download page.

At any rate, like I said, too much work, so I'll just fire up SR2010 or HOI2
for another game ;-)

Paul

> "Eddy Sterckx" <eddysterckx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> "James Cobb" <bismarck71@charter.net> wrote in
>>

>> > "Sturmtiger" <sturm@gaus.com> wrote in message

>> > Oh, bad show. Very bad show. It's DIVX codec, if you want to find it
>> > on the Web.
>>
>> I'm a bit confused here - the installer clearly mentions you both need
>> DirectX 9.0c and the DivX 5.1 codec with nice round installation buttons
>> for both if your machine doesn't have these installed already.
>>
>> Tip : it takes several hits on the "e" key to start the engine :) and you
>> can run-over trees :) - just love this "realism" stuff
>>
>> Greetz,
>>
>> Eddy Sterckx
>
> Except the installer wasn't launching without the DIVX codec, and it did
> not
> mention that fact on the download page.
>
> At any rate, like I said, too much work, so I'll just fire up SR2010 or
> HOI2
> for another game ;-)
>
> Paul

Wise choice, considering.i

> From which you are taken to one screen to pick a download site and then to
> another screen that has more advertisements and a ten-second wait. Either
> wait the ten seconds (and view an explosion of ads), or click the link to
> get the download.
>
> How about maybe a direct link? The internet has turned into one big giant
> Wal-Mart. It's really too bad that in order to find some bit of
> information, the user has to wade through advertisement after advertisement.
>
> I've been surfing on the Internet since GEnie and the early bulletin boards.
> Things have changed, once the greedy grab a-hold of something, that's for
> sure.
>
> Alanb

This irritates me too, but a lot of times the companies need to make
money somehow. The demo is free after all. Yes, they offer it because
they want to increase sales. They still have to pay for it. There are
a lot more evil ways to make money.

--

Epi

------------

Alan Bernardo wrote:

> How about maybe a direct link? The internet has turned into one big giant
> Wal-Mart. It's really too bad that in order to find some bit of
> information, the user has to wade through advertisement after advertisement.

What did you expect? Someone's got to pay for all that bandwidth. The
net has *never* been free. Even if you weren't paying for it directly,
you can be assured that somebody else was.

> I've been surfing on the Internet since GEnie and the early bulletin boards.

I've been online since before there *was* an internet; or at least
before the general public had access to it.

> Things have changed, once the greedy grab a-hold of something, that's for
> sure.

What has changed is that access is now nearly universal rather than
limited to the few well informed, which means that costs have risen as
well. And it's certainly not greed that impels those that offer free
downloads! They're just trying to survive. Get a grip!

>>> I heartily agree. This problem arises when demos are distributed
>>> through third parties. The question is can all publishers afford
>>> their own direct download servers.
>>
>> Hadn't noticed because if you click on the link in the article on the
>> Wargamer and pick the Gamers's Hell download you're immediatly
>> presented with a download screen.
>>
>> http://www.gamershell.com/download_9908.shtml
>>

> From which you are taken to one screen to pick a download site

Which is the sensible thing - so you can pick the server with the
smallest load.

> and
> then to another screen that has more advertisements and a ten-second
> wait. Either wait the ten seconds (and view an explosion of ads), or
> click the link to get the download.

Or you can do what I do : alt-tabbing out of the browser into a game in
progress and wait for the save-dialog :)

> How about maybe a direct link? The internet has turned into one big
> giant Wal-Mart. It's really too bad that in order to find some bit of
> information, the user has to wade through advertisement after
> advertisement.

There's no such thing as a free lunch :)

> I've been surfing on the Internet since GEnie and the early bulletin
> boards. Things have changed, once the greedy grab a-hold of something,
> that's for sure.

Old Compuserver and BBS'er here as well - sometimes I had to spend hours
logging into different BBS'es just to find that one patch or piece of
code. I'm fully willing to watch some advertisement if that pays for the
speed with which I'm tracking down the things I need now. Sometimes you
only remember the good parts of the Goold Old Times.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

--
"Ceterum censeo Belgicam delendam."
(Cato, 'Pro Gerolphe')

>They're just trying to survive. Get a grip!

I disagree. They are trying to make a buck, as much as possible and in any
way possible, and at anyone's expense, legally or illegally.

Alanb