RAID 0 setup, with 1 other HD

circleo12

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2003
I am considering a RAID 0 setup on a new Rig I'm building, but I also want to have a 3rd HD to boot from. Is it possible to have the reg. HD to boot the OS from, and then use the RAID system to do all the saving to? Would this setup be difficult? I am interested in the performance of RAID, but I still want the stability of a HD with all the OS and important setup stuff on it. Is this possible?

jim552

Distinguished
May 1, 2003
You should have not problem at all with that configuration.

I have used, for several years, various RAID controller cards from Promise. I have our servers hooked up with 1 removeable drive carrier attached to the motherboard IDE controller, and a pair of removeable drive carriers attached to a Promise RAID controller card.

When there is not hard drive in the removeable carrier attached to the motherboard, the server boots from the Promise card. When there is a drive then the server boots from the on board motherboard controller, and the drives attached to the Promise card are just extra drives.

In fact, if you had a Promise controller card, you could configure one drive array as striped with only one drive, and another drive array mirroed with two drives.

The really "cool" thing about the Promise controllers is that if you are just mirroring, or striping with only one drive, there is no change to the format on the hard drive that would interfere with an operating system.

What this means, is that let's say you have a system with one drive using the motherboard controller. You buy a Promise RAID card and attach your single drive to the RAID card, and then attach a second hard drive to the RAID card. You create a mirrored drive array and tell the card to mirror the drive. (of course making sure that the drive with data is selected as the source drive.)

Poof!
The drive is now mirroed.

Now let's say you want to take the Promise controller card out, or you want to move the hard drive to a system with the same hardware minus the Promise controller card.

No problem!

Attach one of the drives that was mirrored to an onboard controller, and it works fine!

I hope that answers your questions?

The short answer is "YES" you can do want you want. "NO" you should not have any problems. (If you motherboard is older, 3+yrs, maybe some problem may come up. That would be one of those things would remain to be seen!)