Best Anit-Virus

harkrishnat

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
Hello,
I am using assembled windows-7 PC and used to do small projects in my system. I am facing lots of problems with virus. can you please let me know the best anti-virus?

when you ask a preference like what is the best anti virus you will get 10 different products from 10 different people. its like coke and pepsi. Of course if you ran a linux based operating system like Ubuntu or Fedora, then you wouldn't need any anti virus software installed at all :)

With linux, there's no need for viruses. Jilted linux coders could just inject/create "legitimate" looking code that is actually a virus, but to Linux it would be just more "code" :)

Linux is nice and all...but wow, searching for drivers, support for modern hardware, and ease of use get thrown out the window. See what I did there? lol.

To answer your question there is no real way to say who is best you could read legit reviews and tests till your heart content and still get mixed signals. I prefer PC Tools SPYWARE DOCTOR with ANTIVIRUS it cost money though there are plenty of good ones for free i would recommend any of these Avast Free Antivirus
http://download.cnet.com/avast-free-antivirus/3000-2239_4-10019223.html

AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2012
http://download.cnet.com/avg-anti-virus-free/3000-2239_4-10320142.html

Avira Free Antivirus
http://download.cnet.com/avira-free-antivirus/3000-2239_4-10322935.html

Max Collodi

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010

It all depends on what you mean by "best" If you mean which one has the highest detection rate, you should keep in mind that there are other issues to consider besides detection rate. For example, the program "G-Data from Germany currently has the highest detection rate of the major AV programs. Does that mean it's the best? Let's compare it with another popular program mentioned here, ESET's NOD32. When it comes to detection rates NOD32 is 9th on the list. Does that mean G-Data would be preferred over NOD32? First of all, though NOD32 ranks lower on the detection scale than G-Data, there is actually only one tenth of one percent difference between the two. This is hardly enough to cause concern when there are other factors to consider.

Another important factor is the issue of false positives. G-Data has six times the number of false positives that NOD32 has and also has some stability issues not present NOD32. Others factors also come in to play like scanning speed, ease of use and the availability of extra features that the user may find important to them.

The best thing to do, is download the PDF files from the AV Comparatives website as recommended by Area51reopened and make your own choice using their data.

I used to like Norton. But NIS, and a few other ones they had soured my taste for them.

The ones I like/use currently are:

Avira
MSE
AVG

The best defense against computer viruses are....wait for it...... you!

1) Do not click on random web pages asking yes or not questions, this includes pop ups.

2) Never enter any details about yourself in a webpage unless you know 100% for sure it is a "safe" website.

3) Do not go to strange websites, and or websites you don't know or have been forwarded to you by some stranger/bot.

4) Never download anything that might look suspicious.

5) Always do a regular check ups with some anti-malware software alongside your AV. MALWAREBYTES comes to mind.

6) Always read everything your doing on screen and on the web. You would be surprised at how many people that just randomly click on things and put their CC details into anything that asks them for it.

dj07

Honorable
Oct 22, 2012

Hi Harkrishnat,

You can try to install Immunet Plus on your computer. It is a light antivirus and provides full protection to the PC including various archives like Zip, Rar, 7zip etc. It is also good for those who works offline and uses USB keys or connects mobiles to the PC.

raiyanahmed55

Honorable
May 23, 2013
I think AVG, Avira and Avast.
The best real time protection is Avira. The best performance is Avast. and avg is all of these features.
Avira: Detection 5, Performance 3, Prevention 4
Avast: Detection 3 Performance 5 Prevention 4
AVG: Detection 4 Performance 4 Prevention 4