Tin Soldiers : ???

Hi,

It's official : the team behind Tin Soldiers : Alexander the Great and
Tin Soldiers : Julius Caesar are working on their third title. They
seem to be going all-out for this one and have added a lot of
developing power.

Read more about it here :

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/m.asp?m=901876

Anyone care to bet on a name/period ?

Tin Soldiers : Robert E. Lee ?
Tin Soldiers : Napoleon Bonaparte ?

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Werewolf

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2004

eddysterckx@hotmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It's official : the team behind Tin Soldiers : Alexander the Great and
> Tin Soldiers : Julius Caesar are working on their third title. They
> seem to be going all-out for this one and have added a lot of
> developing power.
>
> Read more about it here :
>
> http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/m.asp?m=901876
>
> Anyone care to bet on a name/period ?
>
> Tin Soldiers : Robert E. Lee ?
> Tin Soldiers : Napoleon Bonaparte ?
>
> Greetz,
>
> Eddy Sterckx

Recently got both TS titles (digital purchase from Matrix - I'm starting
to like that method more and more). They're pretty fun games - big
emphasis on games.

They don't feel like wargames to me - they do feel like chess. Still fun
for a quick beer and pretzels lark but not real wargames IMO - unless
chess is considered a wargame. Note - that doesn't mean they're
particularly easy to beat - they aren't and IMO the AI does a very, very
respectable job as an opponent.

As an aside the historocity may not be particularly accurate either. In
the one battle I actually researched - Pharsalus - IRL Caesar commanded
around 22,000 men. In the game the OOB gives him 40K+. Done for balance
purposes maybe? If so that's not good design as it doesn't adequately
model training, morale, fatigue, unique unit characteristics etc. With a
good design the historical OOB commanded correctly should be able to win
and not require beefing up. NOTE: I was playing on easy - does the level
impact number of troops received?

As I said TS is actually pretty fun to play but wargames they aren't.

Werewolf schreef:

> Recently got both TS titles (digital purchase from Matrix - I'm starting
> to like that method more and more). They're pretty fun games - big
> emphasis on games.
>
> They don't feel like wargames to me - they do feel like chess. Still fun
> for a quick beer and pretzels lark but not real wargames IMO - unless
> chess is considered a wargame. Note - that doesn't mean they're
> particularly easy to beat - they aren't and IMO the AI does a very, very
> respectable job as an opponent.

well, within the manual of TS : Alexander there's a complete Ancient
tabletop warfare ruleset that is the core of the game. You can actually
take this ruleset and play a tabletop game with it - just add dice.

Now I'll grant you that it's a pretty simple ruleset, but it's not
simplistic and covers a lot of bases, but it's not perfect and doesn't
cover everything. Does historicity suffer because of this : yes, but
not a lot - correct tactics of the period and correct use of the units
available will grant you victory, the reverse will result in defeat.
Psycho-Banzai tactics (my default) won't work.

> NOTE: I was playing on easy - does the level
> impact number of troops received?

Think it impacts casualties taken, hence the number of troops to
"repair" increases.

> As I said TS is actually pretty fun to play but wargames they aren't.

The game was never intented as a hard-core wargame but it is the ideal
game to introduce kids to wargaming and given the resources Matrixgames
is committing to their next game I think it's a commercial success as
well.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Werewolf

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2004

eddysterckx@hotmail.com wrote:
>>NOTE: I was playing on easy - does the level
>>impact number of troops received?
>

> Think it impacts casualties taken, hence the number of troops to
> "repair" increases.

I checked on Matrix and looked at the TS forum to see how difficulty
level impacted things. According to the game designer the AI is very
much like a chess algorithm and all the difficulty level does is give
the AI more time to think - i.e. evaluate more moves the higher the
level. Quite an interesting read actually.

However it works it does pretty good.

While taking a short break from the daily grind of enslavement and
world domination, eddysterckx@hotmail.com mentioned

>Hi,
>
>It's official : the team behind Tin Soldiers : Alexander the Great and
>Tin Soldiers : Julius Caesar are working on their third title. They
>seem to be going all-out for this one and have added a lot of
>developing power.
>
>Read more about it here :
>
>http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/m.asp?m=901876
>
>Anyone care to bet on a name/period ?
>
>Tin Soldiers : Robert E. Lee ?
>Tin Soldiers : Napoleon Bonaparte ?
>
>Greetz,
>
>Eddy Sterckx

Tin Soldiers : Douglas Haig (evil archbastard general of ALL TIME!)
..
..
We are Microsoft of Borg.....Your technological distinctiveness will be
added to our own.....Resistance is fu...
..
General Protection Fault in MSBORG32.DLL