Nextel/Sprint hybrids

Last response: in Network Providers
May 4, 2005 4:58:44 AM

When are they going to merge the networks if ever? I was told that there
were going to be some sprint/ nextel hybrid phones coming out.

More about : nextel sprint hybrids

Anonymous
May 4, 2005 3:00:05 PM

Maybe after nextel moves to it's new frequencies. Maybe after nextel
moves to cdma. Maybe both.
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 4:31:52 PM

wymr@sbcglobal.net wrote:
> When are they going to merge the networks if ever?

The networks aren't going to merge, because they aren't mergeable. In
the very, very long term, Sprint-Nextel will migrate everyone to CDMA,
but that's way off, at least two years. In the meantime, both networks
will continue to run concurrently.

> I was told that there
> were going to be some sprint/ nextel hybrid phones coming out.

Highly doubtful.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
May 5, 2005 12:47:12 AM

"Isaiah Beard" <sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote in message
> wymr@sbcglobal.net wrote:

> > I was told that there
> > were going to be some sprint/ nextel hybrid phones coming out.
>
> Highly doubtful.

Actually, Motorola announced hours after the merger announcement that they
would have a dual-mode phone (iDen/CDMA) available in 2006. It shouldn't be
any more difficult to develop than the dual and tri-mode phones on the
market today.
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 4:16:02 PM

wymr@sbcglobal.net wrote:
> When are they going to merge the networks if ever? I was told that there
> were going to be some sprint/ nextel hybrid phones coming out.

Aside from any technical issues and whether or not Nextel will be moving
to different frequencies, I wouldn't expect a hybrid phone to be offered
by either company until the merger is complete.

Mark L.
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 9:04:31 PM

I'd also note that Telus in Canada is in the same boat as Sprint is. Their
Mike customers have a huge chunk of Canada (whole provinces) where there is
no coverage.

Stu

!