pci or isa???

sherpadog

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2001
just a follow up question.. which modem interface should i buy; pci or isa? which performs better? what is their difference?

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
for a modem, it doesnt really matter, but consider:
An isa modem will more than likely be a hardware modem
Newer mobos dont all have isa slots

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

G

definately pci. isa is nearly dead as a bus. few motherboards made today support it.

ignore everything i say

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
I disagree. Go with ISA if you're running Linux, and ISA willl give you better performnce cuz its hardware, not software based.

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
If you're using a board and OS supporting ISA and plan to stick with it, go with ISA. If your board/OS won't or you plan to upgrade to a new board that won't, then go for PCI.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

G

Go with ISA if you're running Linux, and ISA willl give you better performnce cuz its hardware, not software based
why not just buy a hardware based pci modem? The 3comm performance pro runs great in linux and is hardware based, plus being pci will be usable in all modern motherboards. In addition, you're assured of having access to the latest drivers for your moddem. c'mon, how many comanies today are putting out top of the line drivers for their isa modems??? i know, you're arguments used to make sense about 18 months ago, but no longer. An ISA modem is certainly a useful product, but not something you buy today when faced with the alternative of pci hardware based modems. ISA is dead......

ignore everything i say

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
Sure, for upgraadeability, I guess.

But he shouldn't just buy some kind of crappy 5 dollah WinModem. at least w/ ISA you have an assurance of quality. But you're right, for all practical purposes, ISA is indeed dead.

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.