Tungsten C vs Sony TH55

June 29, 2004 7:16:31 PM

I am looking to upgrade from a Palm IIIxe, and have targeted either a
Tungsten C or Sony Clie TH55 - WiFi is the reason for these two, I
have access both at home and the office.

On my IIIxe, I primarily use offline browsing apps (Handstory,
Avantgo), time and project tracking software (Times, Brainforest,
Bonsai), as well as the usual to-do stuff.

With the addition of WiFi, I am interested in e-mail reading and
sending, as well as basic web browsing.

I have worked with the Sony for a short time, but all of the local
stores cannot seem to keep any of the Tungstens on display with
charged batteries, so I have not seen one in action.

I found the Clie to feel well built, subjectively more "solid" than
the Tungsten C. Launching some apps on the Sony showed visible delay.
Nothing severe, and I understand that is due in part to the variable
speed CPU to extend battery life. I am somewhat concerned about Sony's
apparent widthdrawl from the US market.

I doubt I will be viewing any video or flash-type animations on it, it
will be mostly be a data tool. The Sony's camera is nifty, but not a
true incentive, as I have better digital cameras at my disposal.

Given the above, can any one offer any opinions as to the pros and
cons of either the TH55 or Tungsten-C ?

TIA!

More about : tungsten sony th55

Anonymous
June 30, 2004 5:03:53 AM

In article <c90c3203.0406291416.cc174da@posting.google.com>,
mksql@yahoo.com (Max) wrote:

> I am looking to upgrade from a Palm IIIxe, and have targeted either a
> Tungsten C or Sony Clie TH55 - WiFi is the reason for these two, I
> have access both at home and the office.
>
> On my IIIxe, I primarily use offline browsing apps (Handstory,
> Avantgo), time and project tracking software (Times, Brainforest,
> Bonsai), as well as the usual to-do stuff.
>
> With the addition of WiFi, I am interested in e-mail reading and
> sending, as well as basic web browsing.
>
> I have worked with the Sony for a short time, but all of the local
> stores cannot seem to keep any of the Tungstens on display with
> charged batteries, so I have not seen one in action.
>
> I found the Clie to feel well built, subjectively more "solid" than
> the Tungsten C. Launching some apps on the Sony showed visible delay.
> Nothing severe, and I understand that is due in part to the variable
> speed CPU to extend battery life. I am somewhat concerned about Sony's
> apparent widthdrawl from the US market.
>
> I doubt I will be viewing any video or flash-type animations on it, it
> will be mostly be a data tool. The Sony's camera is nifty, but not a
> true incentive, as I have better digital cameras at my disposal.
>
> Given the above, can any one offer any opinions as to the pros and
> cons of either the TH55 or Tungsten-C ?
>
> TIA!

I have a TH55 and I really like it.

Sony as a company is still going to be in business, so they MUST abide
by their warranty. Memory sticks will still be around to support Sony
PCs and Cameras. But I'm sure that several years from now, some
replacement and enhancement items will become fewer.

You might want to go over to http://1src.com and read the TH-Series and
the Tungsten forums. You will be able to find out a lot about the good,
the bad, and ugly (a well as how to tick out the PDA).

I am sure that either unit will work for you.

Bob Harris
Anonymous
June 30, 2004 5:17:23 PM

mksql@yahoo.com (Max) aszonygya:
:I am looking to upgrade from a Palm IIIxe, and have targeted either a
:Tungsten C or Sony Clie TH55 - WiFi is the reason for these two, I
:have access both at home and the office.

If I were you, I wouldn't buy a Clie. Sony quit the US market. TC? Why on
Earth would you buy an old model which will be replaced soon. Palm had $100
rebates on the TC several times lately. BTW, both are excellent models
although Palm had some quality issues lately with some TCs.

Anyway, the bottom line is that if you are an intelligent person than you
will buy neither but wait for the next Palm model with WiFi. If you are not
intelligent than you will not care what I wrote anyway. Good luck, /Paul
[pedit - LapTopHack - pToolSet - superFinderHack]

P.S. I had several TCs and I loved all except those which had hardware
defects.
June 30, 2004 5:47:56 PM

On 30 Jun 2004 13:17:23 GMT, nevai@math.ohio-state.edu (Paul Nevai)
wrote:

>mksql@yahoo.com (Max) aszonygya:
>:I am looking to upgrade from a Palm IIIxe, and have targeted either a
>:Tungsten C or Sony Clie TH55 - WiFi is the reason for these two, I
>:have access both at home and the office.
>
>If I were you, I wouldn't buy a Clie. Sony quit the US market. TC? Why on
>Earth would you buy an old model which will be replaced soon. Palm had $100
>rebates on the TC several times lately. BTW, both are excellent models
>although Palm had some quality issues lately with some TCs.
>
>Anyway, the bottom line is that if you are an intelligent person than you
>will buy neither but wait for the next Palm model with WiFi. If you are not
>intelligent than you will not care what I wrote anyway. Good luck, /Paul
>[pedit - LapTopHack - pToolSet - superFinderHack]
>
>P.S. I had several TCs and I loved all except those which had hardware
>defects.

Sony's still supporting the US market, though, so I wouldn't be too
quick to dismiss the TH-55 (which I just bought myself). It's a
terrific PDA, and has far superior battery life to the T3.

Also, from what I understand the Tungsten T4 is coming out soon, and
it will have both Bluetooth *and* Wi-Fi (802.11g), so you might want
to hold off and see how that turns out before upgrading.
--
Mike Koenecke
to e-mail, change domain to "alum.haverford.edu"

Paul Nevai <nevai@math.ohio-state.edu> wrote:
> Anyway, the bottom line is that if you are an intelligent person than
> you will buy neither but wait for the next Palm model with WiFi. If
> you are not intelligent than you will not care what I wrote anyway.

Now that's the peak of arrogance.

If you find a model that you like, which does what you want, at a price that
you're comfortable with paying, go ahead and buy the device. What may come
out in a few weeks or months won't stop the existing devices from working,
and you don't know whether the new units will fit your needs. The only
thing you can be pretty certain of is that the introductory price is going
to be relatively high.

But of course, you might be as intelligent as Paul Nevai and wait without
having ANY WiFi-capable PDA and gamble on the new devices being better.
Your call.

--
*Art
Anonymous

"Arthur Hagen" <art@broomstick.com> aszonygya:
:Now that's the peak of arrogance.
:
:If you find a model that you like, which does what you want, at a price that
:you're comfortable with paying, go ahead and buy the device. What may come
:o ut in a few weeks or months won't stop the existing devices from working,
:and you don't know whether the new units will fit your needs. The only
:thing you can be pretty certain of is that the introductory price is going
:to be relatively high.
:
:But of course, you might be as intelligent as Paul Nevai and wait without
:having ANY WiFi-capable PDA and gamble on the new devices being better.

Of course, one necessary but not sufficient sign of intelligence is that one
notices sarcasm even if it is not accompanied by a "smiley" which was
invented for those who, on the other hand, do not possess the necessary
intelligence to be able to detect such sarcasm.

Coming back to the subject, if a new WIFI device comes out and it turns out
to be not as good as the TC or the TH55, then one can still purchase one of
the latter two.

/Paul [pedit - LapTopHack - pToolSet - superFinderHack]
Anonymous
July 2, 2004 2:14:57 AM

alt.usenet.this.newsgroup aszonygya:
: The irony here is that I tried his 'pedit' family of programs
:about a year or two ago, and found some annoying bugs that wiped out
:either data and/or state information in the text files it was used
:to edit. I might have submitted a bug report had it not been so
:clear from the support forum and the documentation (littered with
:references to what 'smart' people would do) that I'd have had to
:D eal with someone who not only had a supercilious and arrogant
:attitude, but was proud of it. So I didn't. He did mention in the
:D ocumentation that pedit had many bugs, but never accepted
:responsibility, insisting that they were either caused by OS bugs,
:o r by installed software written by others. I have no idea whether
:the bugs I observed have since been corrected or not, but am
:confident that they were the handiwork of PN, and not others he'd
:like to shift the blame to.

The irony is that the guy failed the sarcasm test too. The fact is that the
above accusation about pedit causing something [what exactly are you stating
above about pedit?] is something for which I could possibly sue you if I knew
who you were and you didn't hide you identity. Of course, the courts may
dismiss the case saying that in a free society every person has the right not
be able to detect sarcasm.

PaulN

P.S. Yes, indeed, I misspelled "then" as "than" in my original posting. Mea
culpa.
Anonymous
July 2, 2004 2:43:19 AM

Paul Nevai <nevai@math.ohio-state.edu> wrote:

> The irony is that the guy failed the sarcasm test too.

And so, I believe, did everyone else who read your posting. In fact, unless
you really meant to say that you're an idiot, there's no sarcasm in it.

> The fact is
> that the above accusation about pedit causing something [what exactly
> are you stating above about pedit?] is something for which I could
> possibly sue you if I knew who you were and you didn't hide you
> identity. Of course, the courts may dismiss the case saying that in a
> free society every person has the right not be able to detect sarcasm.

IANAL, but this much I do know: Voicing an opinion is protected by the US
constitution.
As for your using a threat of lawsuit as means of intimidation, SWIAL can
probably tell you about recent anti-SLAPP legislation.

Finally, I doubt I am alone in being sick and tired of your claims to
intelligence and being smarter than others. Your opinions of and
insecurities about yourself are best discussed with professionals, and not
here on Usenet.

--
*Art
July 2, 2004 3:02:31 AM

On 1 Jul 2004 22:14:57 GMT, Paul Nevai wrote:

> The fact is that the
> above accusation about pedit causing something [what exactly are you stating
> above about pedit?] is something for which I could possibly sue you if I knew
> who you were and you didn't hide you identity.

I stated that your program contains bugs. Your own documentation
states that it contains bugs. Bugs can and will cause damage. Only
a fool would try to sue you for 'damages' unless they had evidence
that you maliciously and intentionally designed pedit to do so,
especially if they were only evaluating the product (as I was). I
neither claimed nor implied that you did intentionally introduced
bugs in your program, stating only that your program has bugs in it,
and as such, you appear hypocritical to refuse to mention another
software product because it's not "100% bug-free". If fact, your
own pedit documentation (from last year) states:

>> Alas, it is a fact of life that all but the simplest computer
>> programs have scores of bugs, and this includes the Palm OS as well.
>> . . .
>> I must admit that even pedit may have some bugs. If you find any,
>> please e-mail a bug report to . . .
>> . . .
>> Third, pedit itself is a rather complicated program, and, therefore, it
>> also must contain a large number of bugs despite the fact that it passed
>> tens of millions of gremlin test with various hardware and operating system
>> configurations on the Palm OS Emulator
>> . . .
>> On the other hand, if you find bugs in the current implementation
>> [which I am sure abound], then please do contact me with a full
>> description of the problem.

returning to your reply . . .

> Of course, the courts may dismiss the case saying that in a free society
> every person has the right not be able to detect sarcasm.

The courts would be more likely to dismiss the case and charge you
with wasting their time with a frivolous, poorly conceived lawsuit.
Is your threat to "possibly sue you if . . ." another example of
sarcasm? Whether it is or isn't is irrelevant. It neither hides,
excuses nor justifies your repellant, obnoxious personality, but
intelligence alone won't help you to see this.

> P.S. Yes, indeed, I misspelled "then" as "than" in my original posting.
> Mea culpa.

Apologies for trivial typos are unnecessary and wasted effort,
especially when "Mea maxima culpa"s for many of your other traits
are much more warranted.
Anonymous
July 2, 2004 7:48:28 AM

COULD WE PLEASE GET BACK ON TOPIC!!!!