Sign in with
Your question

Soundcards With Front Panel Audio Connections

Last response: in Components
May 1, 2003 11:12:10 PM

I'm planning on getting a new case with front panel audio connection (headphones, mic) and I can't find any information on soundcards with pin outs. Onboard motherboard sound isn't what I want either, but at least I've seen the hooks on several models.

I've downloaded the manuals for the SB Audigy 2, Hercules, AOpen, M Audio, and Santa Cruz models. Basically anything in my price range at New Egg and Pricegrabber (no more than $70-80). None call out these hook-ups. I've also used the search functions across several tech boards like this and have come up empty.

Any help from the folks with all the fancy cases?
May 2, 2003 2:47:53 AM

Unfortunately, some inexpensive sound cards don't have those pins like the onboard sound you find on most motherboards.
May 2, 2003 3:41:26 AM

Unfortunately, that's what I'm finding out. I wouldn't consider an SB Audigy 2 card inexpensive for the mainstream market...I know it's not a professional card but pins can't be that expensive to include.

There is a cheap Chaintech soundcard that on the picture looks like it may have them, but it doesn't even have a manual to download.
Related resources
May 2, 2003 4:49:17 AM

Are you buying a complete system to go in that new case? If you haven't already invested in a mainboard, consider going with one of the Soundstorm certified nForce2 systems (or the Asus A7N8X-DX, which I understand is pending certification). Sweet system, and compares favourably with (or soundly trounces!!) any consumer/gaming PCI soundcard available. Check <A HREF="http://www6.tomshardware.com/game/20030405/index.html" target="_new">here</A> for the THG gaming comparison.
Obviously, if you're not into AMD, just ignore me. :wink:
May 2, 2003 3:19:45 PM

Oh, and Creative doesn't publish their FP connections because they want you to buy their Live! Drive (or whatever it's called now). It's in their interest to keep the pinouts under wraps.
May 2, 2003 4:55:47 PM

Thanks for the responses. I'm pretty much going to stick with Intel again, but the NForce2 boards do look pretty neat.

If I understand your last post Traqr, Creative's Audigy 2 card does have pins, it's just that they don't show them in their documentation. That especially goofy as I don't even think you can buy their front audio drive yet seperately.
May 3, 2003 12:39:50 AM

My old Sounblaster Live! Value has pins. Two rows of 10 or 15 in an IDE-like configuration. I have no idea what they're for. (...actually I think I do have an idea, I think it's because there ain't a whole hell of a lot difference between a SB Live! Value and an Audigy, but i digress...)

<font color=blue>-Any position that requires a special kind of idiot will quickly be filled by the wrong kind of idiot.</font color=blue>
May 3, 2003 5:25:14 AM

Well, you could use the TAD connector on some cards, but...it's mono.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>
!