How to reset a counter on my turntable?

Last response: in Home Audio
April 1, 2005 9:55:44 PM

I was just wondering how to reset the counter on my turntable before I
sell it. The turntable is Pro-ject 1.2. I replaced the belt and the
main engine there, but the counter wouldn't reset. And this fact
bothers me 'cause I'm not able to sell the turn table for the high
value. My counter still shows 1984678.5 spins.

Thanks.

--Leonid
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 9:55:45 PM

C'mon man, be honest with it, explain to the potential buyer the
situation and that you've changed the belt and motor and it will be
surely appreciated.
Just a thought...

Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure there is one less
rascal in the world.
-- Thomas Carlyle

good luck, in any case,

Evangelos

%
Evangelos Himonides
IoE, University of London
tel: +44 2076126599
fax: +44 2076126741
"Allas to those who never sing but die with all their music in them..."

Oliver Wendell Holmes

%
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 9:55:45 PM

Leonid Makarovsky wrote:

> I was just wondering how to reset the counter on my turntable before I
> sell it. The turntable is Pro-ject 1.2. I replaced the belt and the
> main engine there, but the counter wouldn't reset. And this fact
> bothers me 'cause I'm not able to sell the turn table for the high
> value. My counter still shows 1984678.5 spins.
>
> Thanks.

Why are you selling it?
April 1, 2005 10:23:47 PM

In article <d2k1v0$jkt$1@news3.bu.edu> venom@csa2.bu.edu writes:

> I was just wondering how to reset the counter on my turntable before I
> sell it. The turntable is Pro-ject 1.2. I replaced the belt and the
> main engine there, but the counter wouldn't reset. And this fact
> bothers me 'cause I'm not able to sell the turn table for the high
> value. My counter still shows 1984678.5 spins.

I've never heard of a turntable with a spin counter, but it's kind of
like the odometer on a car. Would you reset the odometer on a car
before you sold it? (In Virginia, if you do, you have to show that it
was replaced) Some people won't buy a car if the mileage on the
odometer isn't somewhat consistent with the age and condition. I don't
know what kind of people buy turntables with counters, but I suspect
that it's going to be about the same - you may not be able to sell it
for a decent price due to the unrealistic counter reading.

April 1, 2005 10:54:34 PM

On 1 Apr 2005 17:55:44 GMT, Leonid Makarovsky <venom@csa2.bu.edu>
wrote:

>I was just wondering how to reset the counter on my turntable before I
>sell it. The turntable is Pro-ject 1.2. I replaced the belt and the

Is this common? I've never heard of a turntable with a counter on
it. A purist might worry that the counter mechanism puts a variable
amount of drag on the platter, varying the speed. But on to the main
point...

>main engine there, but the counter wouldn't reset. And this fact
>bothers me 'cause I'm not able to sell the turn table for the high
>value. My counter still shows 1984678.5 spins.

How about writing a note to put inside the turntable, "Belt
replaced at counter reading 1984678.5" and the date, perhaps even your
name - next time someone opens it up, they'll have a good idea how
much wear the belt has had.

I agree with this:

>C'mon man, be honest with it, explain to the potential buyer the
>situation and that you've changed the belt and motor and it will be
>surely appreciated.
>Just a thought...

Here's another thought, you've just posted to Usenet (archived at
groups.google.com and other places) that you're wanting to sell a
Pro-ject 1.2. turntable, and asking how to reset the counter on it. If
a potential buyer decides to look up Usenet posts mentioning this
model, they'll find your recent post.

>Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure there is one less
>rascal in the world.
> -- Thomas Carlyle
>
>good luck, in any case,
>

>Evangelos

>Thanks.
>
>--Leonid

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 10:54:35 PM

Ben Bradley <ben_nospam_bradley@frontiernet.net> wrote:
>On 1 Apr 2005 17:55:44 GMT, Leonid Makarovsky <venom@csa2.bu.edu>
>wrote:
>
>>I was just wondering how to reset the counter on my turntable before I
>>sell it. The turntable is Pro-ject 1.2. I replaced the belt and the
>
> Is this common? I've never heard of a turntable with a counter on
>it. A purist might worry that the counter mechanism puts a variable
>amount of drag on the platter, varying the speed. But on to the main
>point...
>
>>main engine there, but the counter wouldn't reset. And this fact
>>bothers me 'cause I'm not able to sell the turn table for the high
>>value. My counter still shows 1984678.5 spins.
>
> How about writing a note to put inside the turntable, "Belt
>replaced at counter reading 1984678.5" and the date, perhaps even your
>name - next time someone opens it up, they'll have a good idea how
>much wear the belt has had.

It's a running time meter, so you know when to do preventative maintenance
on the thing. Like most running time meters, it cannot be reset easily
if at all, and it probably has some mechanical stuff inside to specifically
defeat people trying to change it.

You don't reset running time meters any more than you reset the odometer
on your car. What you DO is to keep a maintenance log on the equipment,
showing every time you lubricated it, changed a belt, or replaced anything,
and the number of running hours when it was done. And when you sell it,
you can show the log as evidence that you have treated it well and that it
was recently overhauled. Just like you do with your car. You _do_ do that
with your car, right?
--scott
(428,762 miles on the 1985 Chrysler Laser)
April 2, 2005 12:08:20 AM

Joe Sensor <crabcakes@emagic.net> wrote:
: Why are you selling it?

That's a rather private question, isn't it?

--Leonid
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 12:08:21 AM

On 1 Apr 2005 20:08:20 GMT, Leonid Makarovsky <venom@csa2.bu.edu>
wrote:

>Joe Sensor <crabcakes@emagic.net> wrote:
>: Why are you selling it?
>
>That's a rather private question, isn't it?

Why? That's a question I ask just about every seller of just about
anything I am buying second-hand. If they don't want to answer, or
the answer smells bad I usually take a pass.

Al
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 1:11:58 AM

On 4/1/05 12:55 PM, in article d2k1v0$jkt$1@news3.bu.edu, "Leonid
Makarovsky" <venom@csa2.bu.edu> wrote:

> I was just wondering how to reset the counter on my turntable before I
> sell it. The turntable is Pro-ject 1.2. I replaced the belt and the
> main engine there, but the counter wouldn't reset. And this fact
> bothers me 'cause I'm not able to sell the turn table for the high
> value. My counter still shows 1984678.5 spins.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --Leonid

I'm fairly sure this isn;t possible. Much like Ovation's fiberglas guitars
being a result of their original work in composite helocopter blades, the
Pro-Ject series were unfortunately OEM'd thru TyCamCo, a now-defunct US
military contractor. These used surplused gyro-control-system rotation
monitors that were never intended to be reset lest UN nuke inspectors cried
foul about resellers setting them back to look better for third world market
buyers looking for a deal. Best I can offer is that you just tell
prospective e-buyers about the uranium alloy bearing rings on these things
are, according to the USAEC papers, good for at least 3.1415927 x 10-17
rotations as a -halflife- figure. That should give it plenty of time.
Hope this helps
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 2:08:46 AM

Ben Bradley <ben_nospam_bradley@frontiernet.net> wrote:
: Is this common? I've never heard of a turntable with a counter on
: it.

Yes, it's common. It's called spinometer i.e. it measures the number of spins
occured in turntable while it is in use. I'm surprised you haven't heard of it.

--Leonid
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 2:08:47 AM

In article <d2kgpe$aom$1@news3.bu.edu> venom@csa3.bu.edu writes:

> Yes, it's common. It's called spinometer i.e. it measures the number of spins
> occured in turntable while it is in use. I'm surprised you haven't heard of it.

Oh, right. This IS April 1, isn't it? (at least here)

April 2, 2005 2:31:50 AM

Leonid Makarovsky <venom@csa2.bu.edu> wrote:
: I was just wondering how to reset the counter on my turntable before I
: sell it. The turntable is Pro-ject 1.2. I replaced the belt and the
: main engine there, but the counter wouldn't reset. And this fact
: bothers me 'cause I'm not able to sell the turn table for the high
: value. My counter still shows 1984678.5 spins.

Come on guys. A record player counter that measures the number of spins occured
on all the record played? Spinometer? I, honestly, didn't expect anyone to
fall for it. But anyway, time to check your calendars. Happy April Fool's.
Till next year.

--Leonid
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 2:31:51 AM

Leonid Makarovsky <venom@csa2.bu.edu> wrote:
>Leonid Makarovsky <venom@csa2.bu.edu> wrote:
>: I was just wondering how to reset the counter on my turntable before I
>: sell it. The turntable is Pro-ject 1.2. I replaced the belt and the
>: main engine there, but the counter wouldn't reset. And this fact
>: bothers me 'cause I'm not able to sell the turn table for the high
>: value. My counter still shows 1984678.5 spins.
>
>Come on guys. A record player counter that measures the number of spins occured
>on all the record played? Spinometer? I, honestly, didn't expect anyone to
>fall for it. But anyway, time to check your calendars. Happy April Fool's.

Hey, mine has an elapsed hour indicator. I think the tape machine does as
well.

Sure wish the power amp did.
--scott

April 2, 2005 2:31:51 AM

"Leonid Makarovsky" wrote ...
> Come on guys. A record player counter that measures the number
> of spins occured on all the record played? Spinometer? I, honestly,
> didn't expect anyone to fall for it. But anyway, time to check your
> calendars. Happy April Fool's. Till next year.

Do you really think it is a joke? I wouldn't bet more than $5 against
the possibility that something like this already exists out there in the
fringe-lunatic DJ world. :-)

Thats the problem with April Fools jokes in modern times. There is
not much bizzare that you can imagine that some wacko hasn't already
tried to do in real life. There are even TV shows about it.

I was going to suggest you could do the same thing that people
do who sell vehicles: "Transmission replaced at 85,600 miles"

By a cruel twist of fate, April 1 is not only my birthday, and also
the birthday of my cow-orker in the cubicle next-door.
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 2:31:52 AM

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Leonid Makarovsky <venom@csa2.bu.edu> wrote:
>
>>Leonid Makarovsky <venom@csa2.bu.edu> wrote:
>>: I was just wondering how to reset the counter on my turntable before I
>>: sell it. The turntable is Pro-ject 1.2. I replaced the belt and the
>>: main engine there, but the counter wouldn't reset. And this fact
>>: bothers me 'cause I'm not able to sell the turn table for the high
>>: value. My counter still shows 1984678.5 spins.

You know, at 33 RPM, 1984678.5 spins is only about a thousand hours - a
fairly new box.

Would you consider taking a time machine in fair condition in trade?

The only catch is that you have to pick it up - in 1984.

Bob
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 2:31:52 AM

In article <d2kiss$rtr$1@panix2.panix.com> kludge@panix.com writes:

> Hey, mine has an elapsed hour indicator. I think the tape machine does as
> well.

Remember those electrochemical elapsed time indicators that look like
a 2 inch long mercury thermometer? I put a couple of those on my
turntables around here to keep track of stylus playing hours. Of
course I never look a them.

OK, I just looked at one. It's completely unreadable. I think the
turntable it's on is from about 1970.

April 2, 2005 2:31:53 AM

Bob Stephens <stephensdigital@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Would you consider taking a time machine in fair condition in trade?
>
>The only catch is that you have to pick it up - in 1984.

"The Cyber (CDC Cyber 170) is like a time machine that only goes backwards."
-- gus baird

April 2, 2005 3:26:57 AM

Scott Dorsey <kludge@panix.com> wrote:
: Hey, mine has an elapsed hour indicator.

The turntable? Maybe, but not the spin counter. :)

After heaving read some of the responses I slowly started to be in doubt that
such thing indeed might exist.

: I think the tape machine does as well.

Yeah, but there's a reset button.

--Leonid
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 3:30:12 AM

Richard Crowley <richard.7.crowley@intel.com> wrote:
: Do you really think it is a joke? I wouldn't bet more than $5 against
: the possibility that something like this already exists out there in the
: fringe-lunatic DJ world. :-)

I have my doubts, but I can bet more than $5 that turntable "spinometers" do
NOT exist. :)

: Thats the problem with April Fools jokes in modern times. There is
: not much bizzare that you can imagine that some wacko hasn't already
: tried to do in real life. There are even TV shows about it.

I agree.

: By a cruel twist of fate, April 1 is not only my birthday, and also
: the birthday of my cow-orker in the cubicle next-door.

My friend also has a b-day on this day. So it's 3 of you.

--Leonid
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 3:30:48 AM

Richard Crowley <richard.7.crowley@intel.com> wrote:
: By a cruel twist of fate, April 1 is not only my birthday, and also
: the birthday of my cow-orker in the cubicle next-door.

PS. Happy birthday.
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 4:07:55 AM

On 1 Apr 2005 22:31:50 GMT, Leonid Makarovsky <venom@csa2.bu.edu>
wrote:

>Come on guys. A record player counter that measures the number of spins occured
>on all the record played? Spinometer? I, honestly, didn't expect anyone to
>fall for it. But anyway, time to check your calendars. Happy April Fool's.
>Till next year.

Very, very cool. Got me; thanks,

Chris Hornbeck
6x9=42
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 6:55:15 AM

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 15:03:12 -0800, "Richard Crowley"
<richard.7.crowley@intel.com> wrote:

>Thats the problem with April Fools jokes in modern times. There is
>not much bizzare that you can imagine that some wacko hasn't already
>tried to do in real life.

Did anyone catch the NPR joke this year? I thought I heard the
whole broadcast, but must have missed it. Or, alternatively,
the world is so strange now that I can't tell anymore.

About equally likely,

Chris Hornbeck
6x9=42
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 10:15:51 AM

On 1 Apr 2005 20:40:59 -0500, mrivers@d-and-d.com (Mike Rivers) wrote:

>In article <d2kgpe$aom$1@news3.bu.edu> venom@csa3.bu.edu writes:
>
>> Yes, it's common. It's called spinometer i.e. it measures the number of spins
>> occured in turntable while it is in use. I'm surprised you haven't heard of it.
>
>Oh, right. This IS April 1, isn't it? (at least here)

So THAT's why I see those hip-hop DJ's spining their platters
backwards - they're keeping the turntables' spin counts low.

"FS: Technics 1200, low spinnage. Only used at Bingo on Sundays."
-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 11:32:22 AM

"Chris Hornbeck" <chrishornbeckremovethis@att.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 15:03:12 -0800, "Richard Crowley"
> <richard.7.crowley@intel.com> wrote:
>
> >Thats the problem with April Fools jokes in modern times. There is
> >not much bizzare that you can imagine that some wacko hasn't already
> >tried to do in real life.
>
> Did anyone catch the NPR joke this year? I thought I heard the
> whole broadcast, but must have missed it. Or, alternatively,
> the world is so strange now that I can't tell anymore.

No, there wasn't any joke (budget cuts, I'm told), but there were some
fabulous old field recordings of exploding maple trees in Vermont, and an
interesting actuality from Danish Samoa on how old maple furniture is boiled
for 40 days to generate "table syrup", which is looking to displace real
maple syrup from the market.

Peace,
Paul
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 7:29:51 PM

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 07:32:22 GMT, "Paul Stamler"
<pstamlerhell@pobox.com> wrote:

>No, there wasn't any joke (budget cuts, I'm told), but there were some
>fabulous old field recordings of exploding maple trees in Vermont, and an
>interesting actuality from Danish Samoa on how old maple furniture is boiled
>for 40 days to generate "table syrup", which is looking to displace real
>maple syrup from the market.

Shoot; I flat missed it. Blasted day job. Grumble, mumble.

Thanks,

Chris Hornbeck
6x9=42
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 10:07:03 PM

Nice one, but it looked sly to me!
Some big Studer and Leevers-Rich pro tape recorders had an Hours meter
connected *with no reset* to capstan motor.
Wish cars had a reminder to change the Cam Timing Belt at 70,000 miles. When
that ruptures, it's bad news.

"Leonid Makarovsky" <venom@csa2.bu.edu> wrote in message
news:D 2klc1$1dp$1@news3.bu.edu...
> Scott Dorsey <kludge@panix.com> wrote:
> : Hey, mine has an elapsed hour indicator.
>
> The turntable? Maybe, but not the spin counter. :)
>
> After heaving read some of the responses I slowly started to be in doubt
> that
> such thing indeed might exist.
>
> : I think the tape machine does as well.
>
> Yeah, but there's a reset button.
>
> --Leonid
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 11:22:29 AM

In article <bhW3e.224$E%3.77@newsfe3-win.ntli.net> jim.greg@ntlworld.com writes:

> Wish cars had a reminder to change the Cam Timing Belt at 70,000 miles. When
> that ruptures, it's bad news.

Some cars used to (and maybe still do) turn on the "Check Engine"
light at certain high mileage intervals to get you into the dealer,
who can remind you of things that are about to break.

Some engines can destroy themselves if they're running when the timing
belt breaks, others just stop running. Some news is worse than others.