What the hell is going on?

Just wondering WHY all my local stores are dropping support for Sprint.

My Local Radio shack No longer carries Sprint stuff, BEST BUY no longer
does, and Circuit city no longer does. WHATS going on?
22 answers Last reply
More about what hell

    "Michael Arends" <mlarends@NODAMNSPAMearthlink.net> wrote in message
    > Just wondering WHY all my local stores are dropping support for Sprint.
    >
    > My Local Radio shack No longer carries Sprint stuff, BEST BUY no longer
    > does, and Circuit city no longer does. WHATS going on?

    Just signed on with Sprint at the local Radio Shack in Dearborn Mi. Seems to
    me they have all the Sprint stuff I needed: ie accessories,holsters,
    chargers....
    I would guess thats what you mean by Sprint stuff.
    Daniel Cairns

    Michael Arends wrote:
    > Just wondering WHY all my local stores are dropping support for Sprint.
    >
    > My Local Radio shack No longer carries Sprint stuff, BEST BUY no longer
    > does, and Circuit city no longer does. WHATS going on?

    Circuit Sh*tty hasn't sold Sprint in at least a year. Was reported here on
    a.c.spcs. Best Buy and Radio Shack, as far as I know, still do...

    --New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"

    Radio Shack and Best Buy still have a contract to sell Sprint.

    Smiling Wickedly, Daniel cairns answered:
    > "Michael Arends" <mlarends@NODAMNSPAMearthlink.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Just wondering WHY all my local stores are dropping support for Sprint.
    >>
    >>My Local Radio shack No longer carries Sprint stuff, BEST BUY no longer
    >>does, and Circuit city no longer does. WHATS going on?
    >

    > Just signed on with Sprint at the local Radio Shack in Dearborn Mi. Seems to
    > me they have all the Sprint stuff I needed: ie accessories,holsters,
    > chargers....
    > I would guess thats what you mean by Sprint stuff.
    > Daniel Cairns

    I went to my local radio shack Last Night. they had No Phones, No
    Software, No Holsters, the display was gone. The kid working there
    didn't know diddly.

    --
    *..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
    ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

    Smiling Wickedly, Steve Sobol answered:
    > Michael Arends wrote:
    >
    >>Just wondering WHY all my local stores are dropping support for Sprint.
    >>
    >>My Local Radio shack No longer carries Sprint stuff, BEST BUY no longer
    >>does, and Circuit city no longer does. WHATS going on?
    >

    > Circuit Sh*tty hasn't sold Sprint in at least a year. Was reported here on
    > a.c.spcs. Best Buy and Radio Shack, as far as I know, still do...

    I remember about Circuit City. But our best Buy which is right across
    the street had NO sprint merchandise either. Including phones. same for
    my local Radio Shack.

    --
    *..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
    ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

    On Sat, 07 May 2005 00:25:51 GMT, Michael Arends <mlarends@NODAMNSPAMearthlink.net> wrote:

    >Smiling Wickedly, Daniel cairns answered:
    >> "Michael Arends" <mlarends@NODAMNSPAMearthlink.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Just wondering WHY all my local stores are dropping support for Sprint.
    >>>
    >>>My Local Radio shack No longer carries Sprint stuff, BEST BUY no longer
    >>>does, and Circuit city no longer does. WHATS going on?
    >>

    >> Just signed on with Sprint at the local Radio Shack in Dearborn Mi. Seems to
    >> me they have all the Sprint stuff I needed: ie accessories,holsters,
    >> chargers....
    >> I would guess thats what you mean by Sprint stuff.
    >> Daniel Cairns
    >>

    >I went to my local radio shack Last Night. they had No Phones, No
    >Software, No Holsters, the display was gone. The kid working there
    >didn't know diddly.

    Most radio shack stores are privately owned franchises. The store owner can
    sell/do whatever he/she/whoever wants.

    "AZ Nomad" <aznomad@PmunOgeBOX.com> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 07 May 2005 00:25:51 GMT, Michael Arends
    > <mlarends@NODAMNSPAMearthlink.net> wrote:
    >

    >>Smiling Wickedly, Daniel cairns answered:
    >>> "Michael Arends" <mlarends@NODAMNSPAMearthlink.net> wrote in message

    >>> Just signed on with Sprint at the local Radio Shack in Dearborn Mi.
    >>> Seems to
    >>> me they have all the Sprint stuff I needed: ie accessories,holsters,
    >>> chargers....
    >>> I would guess thats what you mean by Sprint stuff.
    >>> Daniel Cairns
    >>>

    >>I went to my local radio shack Last Night. they had No Phones, No
    >>Software, No Holsters, the display was gone. The kid working there
    >>didn't know diddly.
    >
    > Most radio shack stores are privately owned franchises. The store owner
    > can
    > sell/do whatever he/she/whoever wants.

    Less than 3% of Radio SDhack stores are privately owned franchises.

    Bobby

    Smiling Wickedly, AZ Nomad answered:
    > On Sat, 07 May 2005 00:25:51 GMT, Michael Arends <mlarends@NODAMNSPAMearthlink.net> wrote:
    >

    >>Smiling Wickedly, Daniel cairns answered:
    >>
    >>>"Michael Arends" <mlarends@NODAMNSPAMearthlink.net> wrote in message

    >>>Just signed on with Sprint at the local Radio Shack in Dearborn Mi. Seems to
    >>>me they have all the Sprint stuff I needed: ie accessories,holsters,
    >>>chargers....
    >>>I would guess thats what you mean by Sprint stuff.
    >>>Daniel Cairns
    >>>

    >>I went to my local radio shack Last Night. they had No Phones, No
    >>Software, No Holsters, the display was gone. The kid working there
    >>didn't know diddly.
    >

    > Most radio shack stores are privately owned franchises. The store owner can
    > sell/do whatever he/she/whoever wants.

    Exactly. It's just getting a little frustrating that every store i have
    near me is dropping Sprint. Now, I have to go much further to an actual
    *Sprint Store* to get anything I need.

    --
    *..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
    ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

    Smiling Wickedly, NoNoBadDog! answered:
    > "AZ Nomad" <aznomad@PmunOgeBOX.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>On Sat, 07 May 2005 00:25:51 GMT, Michael Arends
    >><mlarends@NODAMNSPAMearthlink.net> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Smiling Wickedly, Daniel cairns answered:

    >>>I went to my local radio shack Last Night. they had No Phones, No
    >>>Software, No Holsters, the display was gone. The kid working there
    >>>didn't know diddly.
    >>
    >>Most radio shack stores are privately owned franchises. The store owner
    >>can
    >>sell/do whatever he/she/whoever wants.
    >

    > Less than 3% of Radio SDhack stores are privately owned franchises.
    >
    > Bobby

    I KNOW mine is though, they told me so.
    --
    *..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
    ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

    NoNoBadDog! wrote:

    > Less than 3% of Radio SDhack stores are privately owned franchises.

    And 98.2% of statistics are made up on the spot. I'm not a
    mathematician, but it sure looks like the true percentage is greater
    than 25%. Right from the horse's mouth:

    RadioShack stores: 6,834 (As of 12/31/04)
    Company-owned: 5,046
    Dealers/franchisees: 1,788

    Retail kiosks (wireless phones and accessories): 599 (As of 12/31/04)
    Sam's Club: 546
    Sprint-branded: 53

    As far as dropping SPCS, there certainly hasn't been any official
    announcement. But Radio Shack does state this: "Over its history,
    RadioShack has gained notoriety for accelerating the adoption rates of
    new technologies as evidenced by the introduction of CDMA wireless
    technology in 1996."

    I don't think they are dropping SPCS in any way. In fact, they appear to
    want to open more wireless kiosks--some SPCS-only.

    http://www.radioshackcorporation.com/about/index.html

    --
    Mike
  11. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    NoNoBadDog! wrote:
    > "AZ Nomad" <aznomad@PmunOgeBOX.com> wrote in message

    >>Most radio shack stores are privately owned franchises. The store owner
    >>can
    >>sell/do whatever he/she/whoever wants.
    >

    > Less than 3% of Radio SDhack stores are privately owned franchises.

    Another possibility could be that he lives in an affiliate market, and
    that particular affiliate isn't doing a very good job of keeping the
    local retailers stocked.

    Other than that, there doesn't seem to be an explanation. Radio Shack
    is still selling Sprint phones and service on a national level, and it
    would appear that Best Buy is, too.

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Smiling Wickedly, Isaiah Beard answered:
    > NoNoBadDog! wrote:
    >
    >>"AZ Nomad" <aznomad@PmunOgeBOX.com> wrote in message
    >

    >>>Most radio shack stores are privately owned franchises. The store owner
    >>>can
    >>>sell/do whatever he/she/whoever wants.
    >>

    >>Less than 3% of Radio SDhack stores are privately owned franchises.
    >

    > Another possibility could be that he lives in an affiliate market, and
    > that particular affiliate isn't doing a very good job of keeping the
    > local retailers stocked.
    >
    > Other than that, there doesn't seem to be an explanation. Radio Shack
    > is still selling Sprint phones and service on a national level, and it
    > would appear that Best Buy is, too.

    I don't know if it's an affiliate market or not. I live approx. 50
    miles north of Seattle. Coverage is EXCELLENT. But it seems all my
    LOCAL stores (within 15-20 miles) are having problems carrying Sprint
    stuff consistently. It gets a little frustrating.

    --
    *..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
    ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

    I am an ex-Radio Shack executive. The figure that I gave is true. The
    published figures from the last stockholders report includes Dealers, which
    make up the majority of non-CO stores. These are generally where RS does
    not have a leased facility but has an agreement to maintain a presence in a
    retail environment is a facility not leased or owned by RS, but RS maintains
    the RS inventory. A privately owned franchise are those few stores where
    the owner has paid a franchise fee to Tandy/RS to carry RS product. The
    franchisee is responsible for inventory levels, ordering, etc, and is not on
    the RS replenishment system. The latter example is in the 3% range,
    although I admit it has been a while since I have had access to the actual
    figures. Historically, it was much higher in the past, but has been in the 3
    percentile range for the last decade or so. In response , the breakout
    would be 3% POF, 22% DOF, and 75% COF.

    Bobby

    "Tinman" <mlynch@REMOVEMEcitlink.net> wrote in message
    > NoNoBadDog! wrote:
    >>
    >> Less than 3% of Radio SDhack stores are privately owned franchises.
    >>

    > And 98.2% of statistics are made up on the spot. I'm not a mathematician,
    > but it sure looks like the true percentage is greater than 25%. Right from
    > the horse's mouth:
    >
    > RadioShack stores: 6,834 (As of 12/31/04)
    > Company-owned: 5,046
    > Dealers/franchisees: 1,788
    >
    > Retail kiosks (wireless phones and accessories): 599 (As of 12/31/04)
    > Sam's Club: 546
    > Sprint-branded: 53
    >
    > As far as dropping SPCS, there certainly hasn't been any official
    > announcement. But Radio Shack does state this: "Over its history,
    > RadioShack has gained notoriety for accelerating the adoption rates of new
    > technologies as evidenced by the introduction of CDMA wireless technology
    > in 1996."
    >
    > I don't think they are dropping SPCS in any way. In fact, they appear to
    > want to open more wireless kiosks--some SPCS-only.
    >
    > http://www.radioshackcorporation.com/about/index.html
    >

    > --
    > Mike

  14. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    NoNoBadDog! wrote:
    > I am an ex-Radio Shack executive.
    > The figure that I gave is true. The published figures from the last
    > stockholders report includes Dealers,

    A dealer is still a privately owned business. I happen to have a
    relative who, according to your definition, is a "dealer" (with several
    locations). But for all intents and purposes, the local community thinks
    of these "dealer locations" as simply Radio Shack stores. In fact, I
    hardly ever see a Radio Shack within another store, except for the
    kiosks that I provided data for originally.

    Regardless, since RadioShack Corporation seemed content to combine
    dealers and franchises together, under the total labeled "RadioShack
    Stores," (while breaking out the more-obvious kiosk locations
    separately) I still maintain that more than 25% of what consumers think
    of as "Radio Shack" are privately owned. Anecdotally, many Radio Shacks
    I've encountered in smaller communities have been privately owned. I
    don't much care about whether they were a dealer or franchisee. But to
    just throw out 3% was very misleading. IMHO, YMMV, IDHADITR, etc., etc.

    --
    Mike
  15. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    On Fri, 6 May 2005 19:00:27 -1000, NoNoBadDog! <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote:

    >"AZ Nomad" <aznomad@PmunOgeBOX.com> wrote in message
    >> Most radio shack stores are privately owned franchises. The store owner
    >> can
    >> sell/do whatever he/she/whoever wants.

    >Less than 3% of Radio SDhack stores are privately owned franchises.

    Actually just under 30%.

    In 2004, 1788 were privately owned, versus 5046 corporate owned.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    AZ Nomad wrote:
    > On Fri, 6 May 2005 19:00:27 -1000, NoNoBadDog!
    > <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote:
    >

    >> "AZ Nomad" <aznomad@PmunOgeBOX.com> wrote in message
    >>> Most radio shack stores are privately owned franchises. The store
    >>> owner
    >>> can
    >>> sell/do whatever he/she/whoever wants.
    >
    >> Less than 3% of Radio SDhack stores are privately owned franchises.
    >
    > Actually just under 30%.
    >
    > In 2004, 1788 were privately owned, versus 5046 corporate owned.

    I'm guessing you didn't read my replies to NoNoBadDog, nor his reply to
    me. My intuition tells me that by the time he replies again he will have
    moved up from ex-executive to ex-CEO. <g>

    "You've got questions. We've got answers." (They just happen to be the
    wrong answers.)

    --
    Mike | As the light changed from red to green to yellow
    | and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life.
    | Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and
    | yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Wal-marts sell Sprint now. They kicked the rented cell companys out of the
    stores and now their employees sell Sprint and other carriers in the Connect
    center.

    > Smiling Wickedly, Steve Sobol answered:
    >> Michael Arends wrote:
    >>
    >>>Just wondering WHY all my local stores are dropping support for Sprint.
    >>>
    >>>My Local Radio shack No longer carries Sprint stuff, BEST BUY no longer
    >>>does, and Circuit city no longer does. WHATS going on?
    >>

    >> Circuit Sh*tty hasn't sold Sprint in at least a year. Was reported here
    >> on
    >> a.c.spcs. Best Buy and Radio Shack, as far as I know, still do...
    >>

    > I remember about Circuit City. But our best Buy which is right across
    > the street had NO sprint merchandise either. Including phones. same for
    > my local Radio Shack.
    >
    > --
    > *..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
    > ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
    > ((¸¸.·´ .·´ -:¦:- Michael -:¦:-
    > -:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*
  18. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Tom wrote:
    > Wal-marts sell Sprint now. They kicked the rented cell companys out of the
    > stores and now their employees sell Sprint and other carriers in the Connect
    > center.

    I've seen that. Terrible selection though; they seem to only sell the
    Nokia 6016 and some other LG phone.

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Tom wrote:
    > Wal-marts sell Sprint now. They kicked the rented cell companys out of the
    > stores and now their employees sell Sprint and other carriers in the Connect
    > center.

    Not all Wal-marts sell Sprint. Mine still sells Cingular.

    --New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
  20. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Steve Sobol wrote:
    > Tom wrote:
    >> Wal-marts sell Sprint now. They kicked the rented cell companys out
    >> of the stores and now their employees sell Sprint and other carriers
    >> in the Connect center.
    >
    > Not all Wal-marts sell Sprint. Mine still sells Cingular.

    Yea but is your Wal-Mart company-owned or a franchise? Does anyone know
    the percentage of Wal-Marts that are company-owned?

    <d&r>

    --
    Mike
  21. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Our Sprint at walmart is a franchise. They have Sanyo, nokia and LG phones

    > Steve Sobol wrote:
    >> Tom wrote:
    >>> Wal-marts sell Sprint now. They kicked the rented cell companys out
    >>> of the stores and now their employees sell Sprint and other carriers
    >>> in the Connect center.
    >>
    >> Not all Wal-marts sell Sprint. Mine still sells Cingular.
    >
    > Yea but is your Wal-Mart company-owned or a franchise? Does anyone know
    > the percentage of Wal-Marts that are company-owned?
    >
    > <d&r>
    >
    > --
    > Mike

  22. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    > Tom wrote:
    > > Wal-marts sell Sprint now. They kicked the rented cell companys out of
    the
    > > stores and now their employees sell Sprint and other carriers in the
    Connect
    > > center.
    >
    > Not all Wal-marts sell Sprint. Mine still sells Cingular.

    Mine sells Sprint, Cingular and T-Mobile as well as TracFone, Net10, Simple
    Freedom (AllTel) and T-Mobile To Go prepaids.

Sprint PCS Support Radio Internet Service Providers