Flip Phone and Brand Recommendations?

Last response: in Network Providers
May 6, 2005 6:44:01 AM

Hi,

I have a non-Vision Sanyo 6200 and am considering moving to a Vision
Phone. Back when I bought the 6200 it seemed that the Sanyo Models
held a better signal than the Samsungs and LGs. Is that still the case
(or for that matter was it *ever* the case as my limited testing of
phones may have been bogus? :)  . In any case, I think I would like to
get one of the Flip Phones. Any recommendations? There are a number of
them to choose from which makes it a bit confusing for me.

Thanks for any info/direction!

krewl
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 5:01:12 PM

"krewl" <krewl@invalid.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a non-Vision Sanyo 6200 and am considering moving to a Vision
> Phone. Back when I bought the 6200 it seemed that the Sanyo Models
> held a better signal than the Samsungs and LGs. Is that still the case
> (or for that matter was it *ever* the case as my limited testing of
> phones may have been bogus? :)  . In any case, I think I would like to
> get one of the Flip Phones. Any recommendations? There are a number of
> them to choose from which makes it a bit confusing for me.
>
> Thanks for any info/direction!
>
> krewl

Apparently LG has done something right, as my daughter's PM-325 works as
well as my Sanyo 5300 in fringe areas. As for what you want, there are a
number of things to consider with regards to phone features, and which ones
best fit YOUR needs other than just a flip phone..

Do you want speaker phone capability, or RL, a camera? Then there is the
price range. Lots of variables to consider here.

All in all, Sanyos have had the best reps, but Samsungs are catching up, and
like I said above, the LG PM-325 is a great phone. Only thing missing from
that phone is a speaker phone.

Bob
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 6:35:39 PM

Bob Smith wrote:

> All in all, Sanyos have had the best reps, but Samsungs are catching up

The Samsungs have an awesome feature set, including the voice recognition
software from VoiceSignal (which I have found to be indispensible...
VoiceSignal's software rocks!)

Their RF performance has been uneven, with some phones performing quite well
and others (mostly older ones) having problems. The newer models, however...
the ones with model numbers starting with 7... should not have any problems.
(I'd love to hear from actual users of those phones, though; I don't have a
7-series phone.)

I can't wait until Sprint carries the brand new Samsung phone (the 207, I
think) that does voice-to-text for SMS. :)  But Cingular has an exclusive on
that phone right now. They're only selling it online AFAIK.

I have become a big fan of Samsung handsets, personally. As I've mentioned
before, my VI-660 was a great phone but didn't do well with weak signals - and
its performance dropped considerably after I dropped and broke the phone. :)  My
older 620 (VGA-1000) does an incredible job, though, holding calls in places
where most carriers' phones can't (and that includes some Sprint phones). I
understand that the 740 is a great performer too.

The 660 has some firmware bugs, and supposedly the VM-A680 does too, so I'd
stay away from them.

--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
May 7, 2005 4:41:42 AM

On Fri, 06 May 2005 13:01:12 GMT, "Bob Smith"
<usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:

>"krewl" <krewl@invalid.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a non-Vision Sanyo 6200 and am considering moving to a Vision
>> Phone. Back when I bought the 6200 it seemed that the Sanyo Models
>> held a better signal than the Samsungs and LGs. Is that still the case
>> (or for that matter was it *ever* the case as my limited testing of
>> phones may have been bogus? :)  . In any case, I think I would like to
>> get one of the Flip Phones. Any recommendations? There are a number of
>> them to choose from which makes it a bit confusing for me.
>>
>> Thanks for any info/direction!
>>
>> krewl
>
>Apparently LG has done something right, as my daughter's PM-325 works as
>well as my Sanyo 5300 in fringe areas. As for what you want, there are a
>number of things to consider with regards to phone features, and which ones
>best fit YOUR needs other than just a flip phone..
>
>Do you want speaker phone capability, or RL, a camera? Then there is the
>price range. Lots of variables to consider here.

Hi Bob...I am debating with myself about a camera...probably should
get one with that capabiliity. Any feedback on these two models? Like
signal-holding capability, voice quality?

1 - VI-2300 without a camera
2 - PM-8200 with a camera

Thanks!

>All in all, Sanyos have had the best reps, but Samsungs are catching up, and
>like I said above, the LG PM-325 is a great phone. Only thing missing from
>that phone is a speaker phone.
>
>Bob

Anonymous
May 7, 2005 4:13:10 PM

"krewl" <krewl@invalid.com> wrote in message
<snipped>

> Hi Bob...I am debating with myself about a camera...probably should
> get one with that capabiliity. Any feedback on these two models? Like
> signal-holding capability, voice quality?
>
> 1 - VI-2300 without a camera
> 2 - PM-8200 with a camera
>
> Thanks!

Sorry, I don't as I have used either model. I'd recommend going to
www.phonescoop.com and check out the user reviews on both models.

As for the camera phone, it's nice to have. I use it once a week or so. It's
good even for just doing pics for everyone one in your phone book.

Bob
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 5:08:13 PM

krewl <krewl@invalid.com> wrote in

> On Fri, 06 May 2005 13:01:12 GMT, "Bob Smith"
> <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:
>

>>"krewl" <krewl@invalid.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have a non-Vision Sanyo 6200 and am considering moving to a Vision
>>> Phone. Back when I bought the 6200 it seemed that the Sanyo Models
>>> held a better signal than the Samsungs and LGs. Is that still the
>>> case (or for that matter was it *ever* the case as my limited
>>> testing of phones may have been bogus? :)  . In any case, I think I
>>> would like to get one of the Flip Phones. Any recommendations? There
>>> are a number of them to choose from which makes it a bit confusing
>>> for me.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any info/direction!
>>>
>>> krewl
>>
>>Apparently LG has done something right, as my daughter's PM-325 works
>>as well as my Sanyo 5300 in fringe areas. As for what you want, there
>>are a number of things to consider with regards to phone features, and
>>which ones best fit YOUR needs other than just a flip phone..
>>
>>Do you want speaker phone capability, or RL, a camera? Then there is
>>the price range. Lots of variables to consider here.
>
> Hi Bob...I am debating with myself about a camera...probably should
> get one with that capabiliity. Any feedback on these two models? Like
> signal-holding capability, voice quality?
>
> 1 - VI-2300 without a camera
> 2 - PM-8200 with a camera

If I may chime in the PM 8200 has a great camera.

My lg 325 has a much worst camera not as good
I klnow nothing about the VI 2300
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 7:15:01 PM

From what I remember reading on this newsgroup, the PM-8200 hasn't
lived up to the reputation of previous Sanyos. As others have said,
check out the User Reviews on phonescoop.com, and also you can search
this group's archives at groups.google.com's Advanced Search.

krewl wrote:
> On Fri, 06 May 2005 13:01:12 GMT, "Bob Smith"
> <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> Hi Bob...I am debating with myself about a camera...probably should
> get one with that capabiliity. Any feedback on these two models? Like
> signal-holding capability, voice quality?
>
> 1 - VI-2300 without a camera
> 2 - PM-8200 with a camera
>
> Thanks!

May 8, 2005 4:48:50 AM

On Sat, 07 May 2005 15:15:01 GMT, Frank Harris
<frankbhX@XcompuserveX.com> wrote:

> From what I remember reading on this newsgroup, the PM-8200 hasn't
>lived up to the reputation of previous Sanyos. As others have said,
>check out the User Reviews on phonescoop.com, and also you can search
>this group's archives at groups.google.com's Advanced Search.
>
>krewl wrote:
>> On Fri, 06 May 2005 13:01:12 GMT, "Bob Smith"
>> <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Bob...I am debating with myself about a camera...probably should
>> get one with that capabiliity. Any feedback on these two models? Like
>> signal-holding capability, voice quality?
>>
>> 1 - VI-2300 without a camera
>> 2 - PM-8200 with a camera
>>
>> Thanks!

Thank you all...I'll check out phonescoop.com!
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 1:44:22 PM

In article <etro715pr0s1g2vk18hvua23pegaakska5@4ax.com>,
krewl@invalid.com says...
> On Fri, 06 May 2005 13:01:12 GMT, "Bob Smith"
> <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:
>

> >"krewl" <krewl@invalid.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have a non-Vision Sanyo 6200 and am considering moving to a Vision
> >> Phone. Back when I bought the 6200 it seemed that the Sanyo Models
> >> held a better signal than the Samsungs and LGs. Is that still the case
> >> (or for that matter was it *ever* the case as my limited testing of
> >> phones may have been bogus? :)  . In any case, I think I would like to
> >> get one of the Flip Phones. Any recommendations? There are a number of
> >> them to choose from which makes it a bit confusing for me.
> >>
> >> Thanks for any info/direction!
> >>
> >> krewl
> >
> >Apparently LG has done something right, as my daughter's PM-325 works as
> >well as my Sanyo 5300 in fringe areas. As for what you want, there are a
> >number of things to consider with regards to phone features, and which ones
> >best fit YOUR needs other than just a flip phone..
> >
> >Do you want speaker phone capability, or RL, a camera? Then there is the
> >price range. Lots of variables to consider here.
>
> Hi Bob...I am debating with myself about a camera...probably should
> get one with that capabiliity. Any feedback on these two models? Like
> signal-holding capability, voice quality?
>
> 1 - VI-2300 without a camera
> 2 - PM-8200 with a camera
>
> Thanks!
>
> >All in all, Sanyos have had the best reps, but Samsungs are catching up, and
> >like I said above, the LG PM-325 is a great phone. Only thing missing from
> >that phone is a speaker phone.
> >
> >Bob

I've used the VI-2300 for about a week and almost everything about the
phone, and its reception, has been very good. The only problems I've
had are:

1) The volume control on the side of the phone are either very hard to
use or just don't work effectively. I'll investigate more as I use the
phone.
2) The screen is virtually impossible to read in sunlight.

--
Barry Schrager
barryschrager - at - cs dot com