Sign in with
Your question

PC Randomly Lagging. Good Specs.

Last response: in Windows 7
June 26, 2012 9:36:11 PM

Hello,

I have used my current PC for approximately 9 months without encountering any problems whatsoever. Last month, after moving my desktop PC to a different area, my computer suddenly started randomly lagging. This occured whether I was browsing the internet or playing games (SC2, Dota 2, Diablo III, etc.)

The following are the specifications for my PC:

Motherboard: MSI P67A-GD55
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX460
RAM: Patriot PGD34G1600ELK (2X2GB)
CPU: Intel i5-2500K
Power: CM eXtreme Power Plus 500W
Heatsink: Stock Intel Fans
HDD: WD20EARS (2.0TB SATA)
Case Fans: 3x CM Sickle Flow 120

I initially turned on the "OC Genie" on my MSI motherboard (which auto-overclocks my system). However, after encountering the lag problems, I turned the OC off in fear that my PC was overheating. Needless to say, it did not solve my problems (lol).

I also tried defragmenting, and scanning the PC using Microsoft Security Essentials. Again, my problems persisted.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
June 26, 2012 9:42:07 PM

Also, this is a screenshot of my CPU Temperature readings. Hope that somewhat helps.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 26, 2012 11:15:56 PM

you said the problem began after moving the computer to a different location. put the computer back in its original location and see if the problem goes away. if it fixes the problem, posting your system specs and defragging your hard disk won't fix the problem as it is some kind of external EMI.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
June 27, 2012 12:01:37 AM

if you have another PSU try it. the extreme power plus series are horrible and if you pushed it with an auto OC you might be in trouble. its probably running out of spec with your load.

This power supply can really deliver 500 W, but with efficiency above 80% only when you pull between 40% and 60% load (between 200 W and 300 W) and electrical noise level above the maximum allowed if you pull 80% load or more (i.e., starting at 400 W).

www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/728/
m
l
June 27, 2012 2:45:51 AM

nhasian said:
you said the problem began after moving the computer to a different location. put the computer back in its original location and see if the problem goes away. if it fixes the problem, posting your system specs and defragging your hard disk won't fix the problem as it is some kind of external EMI.

Well the only reason I moved my desktop was because I was moving it from my college dorm back to my house. hehe.

@stevetheutility -> I am connected via Ethernet cable. I don't think there's anything wrong with the internet connection. (just for the record, regardless of which browser I use - IE, firefox, chrome - I still get lag)

@unksol -> yeah I was thinking of replacing it with a 650W corsair PSU. Starting to think that my desktop needs more power than I initially thought it did.

Anything else that I can possibly do?
m
l
June 27, 2012 2:59:19 AM

did you try to make clear cmos or go to your bios and choose set to default
try to reinstall windows
try to remove one of tow mudles ram or try another graphics card
m
l
June 27, 2012 3:05:11 AM

http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx
Its a tier 5 psu (on par with apevia, diablotek, etc) and recommended that you use only use 75% of the rated wattage. A solid 500w is more than enough. You can even get away with a quality 400-450w psu provided that the 12v rail has enough amps.
m
l
June 27, 2012 3:11:42 AM

I recommend that you check MSI Afterburner to monitor GPU utilization. Most likely, your utilization is spiking down (causing frame freezes).
m
l
June 27, 2012 1:06:38 PM

did you monitor CPU temps while it was OC'd? If you didn't, then run prime95. Also replace the psu as previously suggested and never OC on intel's stock fans for any period of time.
m
l
June 27, 2012 3:21:02 PM

Au_equus said:
did you monitor CPU temps while it was OC'd? If you didn't, then run prime95. Also replace the psu as previously suggested and never OC on intel's stock fans for any period of time.

Yes I did. It was extremely hot. Approximately 80-85 Celsius if i recall correctly. But now it is down to about 40 -45Celsius. Do you think I've done irreversible damage to my CPU?

At this point these are the items that I am considering to purchase to see whether it solves my problem:

1. PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W (probably overkill. but might as well)
2. Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
3. Add RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB )

Once I purchase and install these new units, I will keep you guys updated.

Thanks so much for all of your responses. :) 
m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
June 27, 2012 8:53:07 PM

prime95stress-tests your CPU. it continuously runs repeated processor and memory intensive tasks to stress your computer as much as it can be stressed. the idea here is, overclock and then run prime95 continuously (maybe even for a full day) and monitor internal temperatures to make sure the overclock can be handled by the cooling system in your computer, and the cpu is stable at this overclocked speed, as in it won't crash or behave unpredictably when you are doing something important on your system.
m
l
July 27, 2012 8:31:05 PM

195195,11,1244257 said:
Yes I did. It was extremely hot. Approximately 80-85 Celsius if i recall correctly. But now it is down to about 40 -45Celsius. Do you think I've done irreversible damage to my CPU?

^^I'v been trying to find an answer to the same question. I have been slightly overclocking my core 2 duo e5400 2.7ghz cpu for quite some time, but for about a week or so it was running(unbeknownst to me) at about 85-90C, so i bought a after market cooler that keeps it at 40-50C. Since then it has started randomly lagging, nothing too bad, no force closes or anything but its kind of annoying, and iv done everything i can possibly think of to fix it with no luck. even now that my cpu is stably OC'd at 3.5 ghz, i ran prime95 to stress test it, passes all tests, cleaned the hdd, ran avast, defragmented, and it still just lag slightly at random times, only enough to make mouse movement less than smooth, and only for about 10 seconds at a time, could running my cpu at those high temperatures for that period of time have done permanent damage? in cpu-z it shows the loads and speeds to be normal..... please and thank you for any help

FYI: Running a GigaByte GA-P43-ES3G Mobo
ATI Radeon HD5500 1 GB GPU
Intel Core2Duo "Wolfdale" E5400 @2.7Ghz
if that helps anyone
m
l
August 3, 2012 7:25:08 AM

Hey,

I should've updated this thread regarding what I did:

Anyhow, I managed to fix my problem. This is what I did:

1. Added new heatsink (CM Hyper 212+) -> Did not fix problem
2. Added RAM, SSD and clean installed new copy of windows 7 -> Fixed the problem.

I should've added the RAM, SSD and clean installed windows 7, sequentially to really nail down what was causing the problem. But to be honest, I was lazy :p 

Which now leads me to believe that the problem was due to either faulty RAM or HDD. (personally, leaning towards faulty RAM)

In any case, Thank you all so much for your assistance :) 

(to Bigtymer, hope that helps give you some idea on what you could possibly do.)
m
l
August 3, 2012 12:11:36 PM

I would run WD Diagnostics and check the load/unload count on the drive.

Article HERE

WD Data Lifeuard diagnostics and WDIDLE3 HERE and check the "Load/Unload" count.

m
l
!