No Reset Switch On Case?

prsobel

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2001
Some of the newer cases, In-Win in particular, no longer have a Reset Switch. This means that in the event of a system crash with no further keyboard control one can no longer simply do a restart but, rather, must power the computer off followed by turning it back on.

Supposedly, resetting the box is safer than turning it off and on. However, I don't pretend to understand the nuances of the electronics involved.

So, how important is a reset switch? Is it really desirable to have one? All the motherboards I've seen have a reset switch connector.

Thanks for any consideration given this inquiry.

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Well... two simple suggestions come to mind..

1) Don't buy a case that doesn't have the features you need (in this case the reset switch).

2) Add your own reset switch. It's just a simple SPST normally open push button switch, you could hide it anywhere on the case.

I'd be interested in knowing which cases you've found without the reset switch... so I can avoid them.

---><font color=green>It ain't better if it don't work</font color=green><---

namek0

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
Where I work (school library computer lab) has a ton of crappy Gateway cases that don't have a reset switch. On top of that, it takes a good 5 to 7 seconds of holding down the power button to shut it off.

Doesn't really make a difference not having a reset switch technically speaking, but it sure is very...annoying

It's all good ^_^

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
dell comps dont have reset switches now too. it pisses me off cause they lock up frequently when i do specific tasks. but thats another story.

<font color=red> black </font color=red> <font color=green> white </font color=green> <font color=blue> yellow </font color=blue> <font color=orange> purple </font color=orange> <font color=black> red </font color=black> <font color=yellow> green </font color=yellow> <font color=purple> blue </font color=purple>