Reverb

Last response: in Home Audio
April 1, 2005 3:39:16 PM

Which are the best reverb plug-ins available right now? And, for that
matter, what are the best hardware reverb units? Are the best plug-ins
inferior to the best hardware units?

Let's pretend money is no issue. I'm using Pro Tools HD2 6.7.

More about : reverb

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 7:49:19 PM

Shiverbones <aperry@austin.rr.com> wrote:
>Which are the best reverb plug-ins available right now? And, for that
>matter, what are the best hardware reverb units? Are the best plug-ins
>inferior to the best hardware units?

The Sony DPS-777 is pretty impressive. It doesn't sound like a real room,
but it sounds closer than any fake reverb box I have ever used.

I am told the Yamaha sampling reverb is in the same general range as far
as sound quality and price.

Personally, I can't afford to spend that much money for a box that still
can't simulate a real room, when the DPS-V77 is probably 80% as good for
a fifth the price.

If you aren't looking to simulate a room, the EMT 140 is really a hard act
to beat on vocals. I know there are big QRS fans out there as well.

>Let's pretend money is no issue. I'm using Pro Tools HD2 6.7.

Dunno about plug-ins. I've never used one.
--scott
April 2, 2005 1:27:48 AM

On 4/1/05 2:39 PM, in article
1112384356.722543.240500@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, "Shiverbones"
<aperry@austin.rr.com> wrote:

> Which are the best reverb plug-ins available right now? And, for that
> matter, what are the best hardware reverb units? Are the best plug-ins
> inferior to the best hardware units?
>
> Let's pretend money is no issue.

Easy.
Buy 'em all and decide!
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 4:42:29 AM

news:D 2kc4f$c8u$1@panix2.panix.com...
> Shiverbones <aperry@austin.rr.com> wrote:
> >Which are the best reverb plug-ins available right now? And, for that
> >matter, what are the best hardware reverb units? Are the best plug-ins
> >inferior to the best hardware units?
>
> The Sony DPS-777 is pretty impressive. It doesn't sound like a real room,
> but it sounds closer than any fake reverb box I have ever used.
>
> I am told the Yamaha sampling reverb is in the same general range as far
> as sound quality and price.
>
> Personally, I can't afford to spend that much money for a box that still
> can't simulate a real room, when the DPS-V77 is probably 80% as good for
> a fifth the price.
>
> If you aren't looking to simulate a room, the EMT 140 is really a hard act
> to beat on vocals. I know there are big QRS fans out there as well.
>
> >Let's pretend money is no issue. I'm using Pro Tools HD2 6.7.
>
> Dunno about plug-ins. I've never used one.
> --scott

Did the Beatles use the EMT-140?
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 4:42:30 AM

Sanbar <sanbar@wi.rr.com> wrote:

>Did the Beatles use the EMT-140?

Probably. Everybody did, because that was all there was.
--scott

April 2, 2005 1:48:07 PM

Shiverbones wrote:
> Which are the best reverb plug-ins available right now? And, for that
> matter, what are the best hardware reverb units? Are the best plug-ins
> inferior to the best hardware units?
>
> Let's pretend money is no issue. I'm using Pro Tools HD2 6.7.

I am enjoying Altiverb right now. I still prefer my hardware boxes, but
altiverb sounds excellent to my ears.
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 4:09:48 PM

Shiverbones wrote:
> Which are the best reverb plug-ins available right now? And, for that
> matter, what are the best hardware reverb units? Are the best plug-ins
> inferior to the best hardware units?
>
> Let's pretend money is no issue. I'm using Pro Tools HD2 6.7.

I was pretty blown away with the new convolution reverb plug-ins.
Speakin in particular about Voxengo's Pristine Reverb (similar to Waves
IR.) They are very flexible as they are dependant on the quality of
impulses (simple wav files) which can be downloaded for free (legally)
on lots company websites. They only problem is the processing power that
it requires and the latency that it kicks in (my system goesfrom about
3ms to 53ms). But i find it great for mixing, but obviously couldn't be
used during the tracking process.

There are lots of other plug-in verbs of course, but i find the
convolutions have really stepped it up a notch from anything else
previously available from the software side of things.

Roach
!