Annoying popping sound.

degraph

Distinguished
May 2, 2003
I recently purchased an Asus P4PE motherboard with an onboard Soundmax audio system. The problem is, whenever I play mp3's there is always a popping sound. I know it isn't the quality of the mp3 files, as I have encoded them and tested on other systems. I'm pretty sure it's not the speakers, because I can play audio CD's and DVD's just fine. I've also tried a couple different audio players, but the same result. I've updated the drivers to the newest available, but no success. Has anyone else had this problem or have any ideas on fixing it?

Thanks for any help.

kobe8

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
Your best bet is probably spend a little cash and get a better sound card. A Muse 5.1 goes for only about $30, and I hear the sound quality is comparable to an Audigy (a $99 card)

r2k

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2001
Well, what you've heard is, simply said, wrong (I'm tempted to use another word :wink: but so be it!) . Even the Audigy (not to mention the $99 Audigy2) trumps the Muse in terms of performance and sound quality quite easily. You don't even need a blind test to hear the difference.

degraph

Distinguished
May 2, 2003
Thanks for the response. I was actually planning on purchasing a separate card later on. I'm just waiting until I have a little more income, so I may just have to live with the popping a little longer. :(