Win 7 - Windows Update error - Fixes ??

edion2

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
Hello,

This has been going on for a couple of weeks. Every time I shut down my laptop, it TRIES to Update. I finally realized that something is wrong. I went into the Update folder in Control Panel and looked at the "update history" to find that every time I shut down, the update attempts have "failed".

The error code is 66A. I tried the "Windows Fix-It" and it didn't work. I don't know what to try next. The three update items are for NET.Framework 4.

Its getting very annoying because it takes a lot longer to shut down my computer.

Anyone else encounter this problem ??

How can I fix this problem?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Ed

There have been recent problems I know of (in XP) of net.framework updates being resent, which were older updates already installed or superseceded with later updates. I changed the update options to download, but let me choose when to install. Then chose Custom install, and eliminated the net.framework updates from trying to reinstall.

rdc85

Honorable
U can manually check for updates, and tried give some times for .net 4 to finish dl and reboot if had to...

the problem seems happen because it set to auto update, and when it still dl/inst the comp being shutdown or the internet connection being cut off. (Also check for the internet connection, unstable connection can result the update failed)

Or just right click the update and select ignore this update.............

edion2

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
Hello

Thanks for the relies.

I already have the updates set to "download, but let me choose . . ." BUT still every time I shut down, it tries to install the downloaded updates without asking me. So I never can get to the dialog box for the "Custom Install" selection.

I'm suspecting that there is some "setting" in Win 7 that has to be set for the new updates to install. Somehow the required "setting" was set incorrectly by previous update.

I probably can repair Win 7 but I will have to re-install all the recent updates by choosing to install each update and don't download the 3 updates I'm having problem with. The only problem, I suspect, is that future updates will not install because these "problem updates" are not installed on my computer. That means, I am currently not being made aware of any recent updates. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :fou:

I was having the same problem with old laptop running XP that I just replaced a month ago. My old laptop took about 8 minutes to shut down. At least my new laptop with the similar problem shuts down in about 3 minutes.

Any other suggestions for a solution to my problem ?

Thanks
Ed

If you can not find a simple solution.
First My wifes computer had a very similar proble, but it was with service pac 1 (Windows 7). Tried everything I could find from including "let Me fix it - Ms"
Finally I found on MS that in may cases the only way to repair was to do a re-install.
Which I did. re-install treats it as a Upgrade. Which means going trough all the windows updates. But all of her grograms worked, favs were still there. Before doing I had to rename windows mail folder as I knew it would over write this directory which would have killed her email program. I had ported vista win mail over to Windows 7.

edion2

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
Hello,

Thanks for your replies.

My friend found a possible solution to my problem. He found it, of all places, at Microsoft site. IT WORKED !! :D I can't guarantee it will work for everyone but its worth a try.

-----------------------------------------
THE PROBLEM :

Windows 7 - Error Code: 66a (Can't install KB2160841)

Getting error code 66A Windows update encountered an unknown error. Security Update for .NET Framework 4 on Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2 for x64-based Systems (KB2160841)

Installation date: ( your installation date )

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 66A

Update type: Important

A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system that is running the Microsoft .NET Framework and gain complete control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

THE SOLUTION :

-- Go to Control Panel click on "Programs and Features"
-- Find "Net framework 4 client profile" file, then right click and click on "Uninstall / Change"
-- Dialog box appears and select "REPAIR FILE" - - NOT "Uninstall"
-- follow instruction to return to Original Condition
-- Shut down / Restart computer

--------------------------------------------
I "shut down" my computer to see if my "problem updates" will install. The shut down process took much longer than previous. I restarted my computer and checked my Update Status and the all 3 problem updates reported "SUCCESSFUL" !!! Yeeaaahhh ! :D :bounce:

It seems the file "Net framework 4 client profile" became corrupt. The repair process worked for me. Try this fix first when your update returns the Error Code : 66A

Thanks
Ed