Win a free wargame

Hi,

Sorry to disappoint you guys, there's nothing you can win in here. in
fact, there's nothing you can win anywhere. And that's my point really
: apart from a Hearts of Iron II slogan-competion on the Wargamer last
year I can't remember a single instance in which you could win a
wargame.

Have a look at the Osprey book publisher website - they're a publisher
specializing in military books - about the same target audience as pc
wargame companies. http://www.ospreypublishing.com
Every month they're having a competition in which you can win some of
their books and though I have yet to win I keep visiting their website.
Carot - donkey stuff, but it works. I involuntary get to see their
"what's new" section, not to mention the harvest in *real* eMail
addresses they must have acquired by now, all for the proverbial
handfull of dollars.

Is it just me or do others think this is a neglected marketing approach
as well ?

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

eddysterckx@hotmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry to disappoint you guys, there's nothing you can win in here. in
> fact, there's nothing you can win anywhere. And that's my point really
> : apart from a Hearts of Iron II slogan-competion on the Wargamer last
> year I can't remember a single instance in which you could win a
> wargame.
>
> Have a look at the Osprey book publisher website - they're a publisher
> specializing in military books - about the same target audience as pc
> wargame companies. http://www.ospreypublishing.com
> Every month they're having a competition in which you can win some of
> their books and though I have yet to win I keep visiting their website.
> Carot - donkey stuff, but it works. I involuntary get to see their
> "what's new" section, not to mention the harvest in *real* eMail
> addresses they must have acquired by now, all for the proverbial
> handfull of dollars.
>
> Is it just me or do others think this is a neglected marketing approach
> as well ?

I'd be satisfied with good demos for every new game. ;-)

BulletProof

Distinguished
May 13, 2005

I agree with you that not only is it neglected, but could be useful. A
company wouldn't incur much risk running a test to see if it was worth
it, either. Hell, you'd think having even a couple hundred additional
prospect's email addresses along with an agreement to receive marketing
announcements would be worth the $50 to $100 it would cost to run the
promo.

eddysterckx@hotmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry to disappoint you guys, there's nothing you can win in here. in
> fact, there's nothing you can win anywhere. And that's my point really
> : apart from a Hearts of Iron II slogan-competion on the Wargamer last
> year I can't remember a single instance in which you could win a
> wargame.
>
> Have a look at the Osprey book publisher website - they're a publisher
> specializing in military books - about the same target audience as pc
> wargame companies. http://www.ospreypublishing.com
> Every month they're having a competition in which you can win some of
> their books and though I have yet to win I keep visiting their website.
> Carot - donkey stuff, but it works. I involuntary get to see their
> "what's new" section, not to mention the harvest in *real* eMail
> addresses they must have acquired by now, all for the proverbial
> handfull of dollars.
>
> Is it just me or do others think this is a neglected marketing approach
> as well ?
>
> Greetz,
>
> Eddy Sterckx

Actually, Talonsoft did this a few years back. I think it went : fill
out a survey, maybe win a game.

I won a copy of Rising Sun ( the Pacific Theatre game based on the East
Front engine). Pretty lucky, as I was going to purchase the game had I
not won it.

Don't know how much good the survey did Talonsoft.

Abe Brown

richard@shrapnelgames.com schreef:

> Eddy,
>
> How about this:
>
> http://www.strategyzoneonline.com/articles.php?p=504&page=1&cat=1

Great ! - it has all the requirements :

- draws gamers to your website -> they'll see the other games as well
- make 'm read the game description to get the answer -> double points
for it ensures that everyone knows the answer to the question asked can
be found with a minimum amount of "work" + wets the taste-buds for
getting this game even if you don't win(provided the blurb is well
written and this one is)
- emphasizes anti-cheat measures -> this makes the "you have to be a
strategy zone registered forum member" pill easier to swallow - moot in
my case as I'm registered
- easy procedure - just send a mail -> added bonus : you've got a valid
eMail address

My bill for the usual consultant fee is in the mail :)

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

"eddysterckx@hotmail.com" <eddysterckx@hotmail.com> wrote in

Found another contest - well, more a survey really

http://www.strategyzoneonline.com/articles.php?p=502&page=1

It's a very small survey and you can win CDV games (Blitzkrieg, Cossacks,
....)

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

--
"Ceterum censeo Belgicam delendam esse."
(Cato, 'Pro Gerolphe')

<eddysterckx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > year I can't remember a single instance in which you could win a
> wargame.

It has been a while, and it was preaching to the converted, but the dread
HPS ran a scenario design contest for us fanbois.

Mike,

Congrats on winning in week #3 of the contest

For the rest of you : the week #4 question is up

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

> Mike,
>
> Congrats on winning in week #3 of the contest
>
> For the rest of you : the week #4 question is up
>
> Greetz,
>
> Eddy Sterckx

!!??

If I got an email from them, it must have been filtered out. Got a link?

Thanks for the tip.

Mike

"Mike Cox" <NoSpamThanks_sch-michael@vom.com> wrote in message

> If I got an email from them, it must have been filtered out. Got a link?
>
> Thanks for the tip.
>
> Mike

Umm nevermind...