Can you stick in a Windows 7 disk in a PC and expect it to upgrade?

Str8Thru

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
Ok, so I am upgrading my new computer into a gaming PC. I have XP, but the rest is good. The guy at my computer store said that sometimes a computer may not be able to install a new OS. Is this true? Because I'd be alot easier if you can just stick in the CD, instead of making a whole new computer. Also, when upgrading an OS, would you use things like stored information on an internal hard drive, or other things like that?

Thanks,

str8thru

there is no upgrade path from windows xp to windows 7. You would need to backup any data you have and then do a fresh installation of windows 7. If a computer has a problem installing an operating system it probably has some defective component.

pepe2907

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
nhasian said:
there is no upgrade path from windows xp to windows 7. You would need to backup any data you have and then do a fresh installation of windows 7. If a computer has a problem installing an operating system it probably has some defective component.

I think this is true only with Win XP 64.

Also I think a more appropriate link should be this: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7

This has been confirmed for a while. There is absolutely no upgrade path from XP to 7 without doing a clean install.