Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Look! They call this retention offer?

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 10:07:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

My contract ended in May. We have 2 phones on 2 separate $30 300
minutes plans,N&Wkends starting at 8pm plus there was a 5% discount on
our bill but all under 1 account name. Also I would like to mention
that we have been with Sprint on this $30 plans since 1999.
We are thinking of switching over to a family plan to include our
teenager. I called Sprint Customer service and said "retention" (yup,
not claire anymore). The guy who helped me gave me the following "deal"
plan:
-$85 for 800minutes to share between the 3 lines
-N&Weekends starting at 7pm
-New phone for the 3rd line while the 2 old customers gets a mail-in
rebate of up to $150 each but would have to go to the store and show
our new contract to the store, select the phones, pay for them and
get back the rebates in the mail.

I asked the customer service what is the difference between this and if
I sign up as a new customer using my wife's name for the family plan.
He admitted that the only difference would be we would get our rebates
on the 2 phones instantly as opposed to mail-in.

They call this a retention plan???? This is a big joke cos this is
exactly the same if you were to sign up today with SprintPCS.
$80 for the 3 lines sharing 800 minutes and $5 extra if you want the
Free N&Wkends to start at 7pm.

I would really like to stay with SprintPCS but the way it is........
Looks like we may have to go over to Verizon. At least as new customers
we can get buy 1 and get up to 3 phones free. Also it would cost me $90
for 3 lines to share 1000 minutes. The only downside is there is no
earlier Free Nt&Wkends other than the 9pm even if you want to pay extra.

Is there a different number to call for Retention?
Thanks.

More about : call retention offer

Anonymous
May 9, 2005 10:07:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

C M wrote:
> My contract ended in May. We have 2 phones on 2 separate $30 300
> minutes plans,N&Wkends starting at 8pm plus there was a 5% discount on
> our bill but all under 1 account name. Also I would like to mention
> that we have been with Sprint on this $30 plans since 1999.

> They call this a retention plan???? This is a big joke cos this is
> exactly the same if you were to sign up today with SprintPCS.

Better retention plans go to people who spend more money, generally. You're not
even on the bare-minimum plan anymore, as the $30/300 plan is gone and the
least expensive plan is now $35.

--
JustThe.net - Apple Valley, CA - http://JustThe.net/ - 888.480.4NET (4638)
Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"The wisdom of a fool won't set you free"
--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 3:53:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Here is part of your problem. When you call into sprint and ask for
the retention department (old school), the reps don't know what you're
talking about. They have been retooled to refer to "retention" as the
"customer goals" department. So, if you want "retention" ask for
"customer goals" dept. Then again, lets cut to the chase,. 800 658
7564 is the number to dial.

I know this for a fact cuz, I just went through them to re-up my plan
for another year. Beadvised the the offers are nothing like they were
in the past. I ended up with 2500 anytime minutes for $95 w/ sprint to
sprint unlimited minutes. This boiled down to 500 extra minutes and $5
off the normal $100 bill.

Good luck.
"the art of the deal"
Related resources
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 4:46:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

On Mon, 09 May 2005 15:31:52 -0700, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
wrote:

>
>Better retention plans go to people who spend more money, generally. You're not
>even on the bare-minimum plan anymore, as the $30/300 plan is gone and the
>least expensive plan is now $35.
>
Not anymore IMHO. I think that is pretty much all gone nowadays.

You can walk into the Sprint store as a new customer and get a free
phone, but not as a current out of contract customer.

You nearly have to churn your account to another carrier or a new name
every couple years. Sprint deals are all for new lines. And that's
it.

It's getting grim at Sprint. I guess they haven't lost enough of
their current customers yet.

Maybe the $150 rebate every 18 months is working for them. It's not
quite good enough for me. I haven't done anything yet.
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 4:46:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Steevo@my-deja.com wrote:

> Maybe the $150 rebate every 18 months is working for them. It's not
> quite good enough for me. I haven't done anything yet.

What would be good enough for you?

--
JustThe.net - Apple Valley, CA - http://JustThe.net/ - 888.480.4NET (4638)
Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"The wisdom of a fool won't set you free"
--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 11:22:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

This is starting to sound like Phillipe...

"Steevo@my-deja.com" <steevo@my-deja.com> wrote in message
news:no0081pgb8e7o3rf00u5v8fpus7ptlnjd5@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 09 May 2005 15:31:52 -0700, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
> wrote:
>
> >
> >Better retention plans go to people who spend more money, generally.
You're not
> >even on the bare-minimum plan anymore, as the $30/300 plan is gone and
the
> >least expensive plan is now $35.
> >
> Not anymore IMHO. I think that is pretty much all gone nowadays.
>
> You can walk into the Sprint store as a new customer and get a free
> phone, but not as a current out of contract customer.
>
> You nearly have to churn your account to another carrier or a new name
> every couple years. Sprint deals are all for new lines. And that's
> it.
>
> It's getting grim at Sprint. I guess they haven't lost enough of
> their current customers yet.
>
> Maybe the $150 rebate every 18 months is working for them. It's not
> quite good enough for me. I haven't done anything yet.
>
>
May 10, 2005 12:42:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Steve Sobol wrote:
> C M wrote:
>> My contract ended in May. We have 2 phones on 2 separate $30 300
>> minutes plans,N&Wkends starting at 8pm plus there was a 5% discount
<snip>
>
> Better retention plans go to people who spend more money, generally.
> You're not even on the bare-minimum plan anymore, as the $30/300 plan
> is gone and the least expensive plan is now $35.

C'mon folks, at least read what the guy wrote. He was on TWO $30 plans.
Yes he was getting a 5% discount (3 whole dollars), but he was still
paying SPCS $57 for the last six years. There are certainly people here
that have gotten retention deals when spending around $60 per month.

However, I believe that since he kept two separate plans the SPCS rep
was unable to "finagle" the system to come up with anything better for
him. If I were him, I would at least make one more attempt, and make
sure the rep is aware of just how much he was spending. If the folks
here missed it, you can bet your ass the SPCS rep did too.


--
Mike
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 1:27:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

amonefinancemh@comcast.net wrote:
> Here is part of your problem. When you call into sprint and ask for
> the retention department (old school), the reps don't know what you're
> talking about. They have been retooled to refer to "retention" as the
> "customer goals" department. So, if you want "retention" ask for
> "customer goals" dept. Then again, lets cut to the chase,. 800 658
> 7564 is the number to dial.
>
> I know this for a fact cuz, I just went through them to re-up my plan
> for another year. Beadvised the the offers are nothing like they were
> in the past. I ended up with 2500 anytime minutes for $95 w/ sprint to
> sprint unlimited minutes. This boiled down to 500 extra minutes and $5
> off the normal $100 bill.
>
> Good luck.
> "the art of the deal"
>

Everyone keeps telling me I was not a Sprint revenue maker customer.
But if they offer me the deal above like amonefinance i.e 2500 for $95 I
will go for it. But they offer me $80 for 800 minutes. For the extra
$15 you get an extra 1700 minutes. Thats a lot.

Btw, amonefinancemh, is that $95 plan with 2500 minutes include
Nt&weekends starting at 7pm?

Thanks
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 1:40:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

No those are anytime minutes,... I still have my 3000 night and weekend
minutes. To help get the plan tell them that you saw a Nextel ad on
the web, that offers unlimited minutes for $100/mo. That is what they
bit on,... the catch to this ad of course is that they charge $0.20 a
minute for LD calls. Of course you shld forget to mention this caveat.
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 3:25:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

"C M" <cymallen@gmail.com> wrote in message news:o bRfe.19$NZ1.11@fe09.lga...
> My contract ended in May. We have 2 phones on 2 separate $30 300
> minutes plans,N&Wkends starting at 8pm plus there was a 5% discount on
> our bill but all under 1 account name. Also I would like to mention
> that we have been with Sprint on this $30 plans since 1999.
> We are thinking of switching over to a family plan to include our
> teenager. I called Sprint Customer service and said "retention" (yup,
> not claire anymore). The guy who helped me gave me the following "deal"
> plan:
> -$85 for 800minutes to share between the 3 lines
> -N&Weekends starting at 7pm
> -New phone for the 3rd line while the 2 old customers gets a mail-in
> rebate of up to $150 each but would have to go to the store and show
> our new contract to the store, select the phones, pay for them and
> get back the rebates in the mail.
>
> I asked the customer service what is the difference between this and if
> I sign up as a new customer using my wife's name for the family plan.
> He admitted that the only difference would be we would get our rebates
> on the 2 phones instantly as opposed to mail-in.
>
> They call this a retention plan???? This is a big joke cos this is
> exactly the same if you were to sign up today with SprintPCS.
> $80 for the 3 lines sharing 800 minutes and $5 extra if you want the
> Free N&Wkends to start at 7pm.
>
> I would really like to stay with SprintPCS but the way it is........
> Looks like we may have to go over to Verizon. At least as new customers
> we can get buy 1 and get up to 3 phones free. Also it would cost me $90
> for 3 lines to share 1000 minutes. The only downside is there is no
> earlier Free Nt&Wkends other than the 9pm even if you want to pay extra.
>
> Is there a different number to call for Retention?
> Thanks.

As Steve said, even though you have been a long time customer, you haven't
been a revenue source for them. You might get a better deal, calling the 800
number the other poster left, but I don't believe there is much leeway to
add much if anything else, save for PCS2PCS.

considering that SPCS offers N & W starting @ 7:00, that's going to save you
a lot of minutes used, with your teenager. Think of it this way, there is a
difference of 200 minutes between company plans, an average of 10 min. a day
for each week day of the month, and there is a 2 hour gap from when
Verizon's N & W start each evening.

I'm betting that your teenager will be spending much more than 10 mins on
average per night on the phone between those two hours ...

Bob
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 4:14:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

C M wrote:

> I would really like to stay with SprintPCS but the way it is........
> Looks like we may have to go over to Verizon.

Bye! Nice knowin ya!

> At least as new customers
> we can get buy 1 and get up to 3 phones free. Also it would cost me $90
> for 3 lines to share 1000 minutes. The only downside is there is no
> earlier Free Nt&Wkends other than the 9pm even if you want to pay extra.

So basically, you have no qualms about the service, you just feel you
should get a freer handout than even the new customers. And you're
willing to get a worse deal from Verizon over a matter of principle. Right?

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 7:07:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

"C M" <cymallen@gmail.com> wrote in message news:o bRfe.19$NZ1.11@fe09.lga...
>
> They call this a retention plan???? This is a big joke cos this is
> exactly the same if you were to sign up today with SprintPCS.
> $80 for the 3 lines sharing 800 minutes and $5 extra if you want the
> Free N&Wkends to start at 7pm.
>
> I would really like to stay with SprintPCS but the way it is........
> Looks like we may have to go over to Verizon. At least as new customers
> we can get buy 1 and get up to 3 phones free. Also it would cost me $90
> for 3 lines to share 1000 minutes. The only downside is there is no
> earlier Free Nt&Wkends other than the 9pm even if you want to pay extra.

I don't see where $90 for 1000 minutes is all that much better than $80
for 800 minutes. The free phones tend to be low on features and/or looks.

> Is there a different number to call for Retention?

The plan you were offered is a retention plan. I'm on a similar
retention plan: $60 for two lines, 750 minutes, N&W at 8pm.

--
John Richards
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 8:01:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

"Tinman" <mlynch@REMOVEMEcitlink.net> wrote in message
news:3ec339F2acqtU1@individual.net...
> Steve Sobol wrote:
> > C M wrote:
> >> My contract ended in May. We have 2 phones on 2 separate $30 300
> >> minutes plans,N&Wkends starting at 8pm plus there was a 5% discount
> <snip>
> >
> > Better retention plans go to people who spend more money, generally.
> > You're not even on the bare-minimum plan anymore, as the $30/300 plan
> > is gone and the least expensive plan is now $35.
>
> C'mon folks, at least read what the guy wrote. He was on TWO $30 plans.
> Yes he was getting a 5% discount (3 whole dollars), but he was still
> paying SPCS $57 for the last six years. There are certainly people here
> that have gotten retention deals when spending around $60 per month.
>
> However, I believe that since he kept two separate plans the SPCS rep
> was unable to "finagle" the system to come up with anything better for
> him. If I were him, I would at least make one more attempt, and make
> sure the rep is aware of just how much he was spending. If the folks
> here missed it, you can bet your ass the SPCS rep did too.

I agree with some of your points Mike, that the rep could not finagle the
system. In saying that, 2 $30 accts doesn't generate much if any revenue, if
those were two actively used accounts.

As for those sweet retention deals provided in the past, like the one I
negotiated 14 months or so ago, I don't believe they are offered as much, if
any now.

When I negotiated the prior deal, I was paying appx $130/mo. Had too many
minutes (2000) for 3 phones. I noticed that both Cingular and Verizon would
be able to drop my monthly expense considerably and told the retention rep,
that even though I had been happy with SPCS, there was too much of a
difference. They were able to work out a nice plan with yours truly because
SPCS listens to those that higher revenue plans like yours truly. For the
OP, here's another listing of what I did.

Got 1200 minutes for 3 phones, for $60/mo. N & W start @ 8:00 PM. Add $5 for
PCS2PCS and $15 for Vision on the primary phone and $5 on one other phone.
Also got 5% off the monthly expense, so after taxes & surcharges, the
monthly expense runs $94 or so. If I were to drop Vision, I suspect the
expense would drop down to less than $80 mo.

Bob
May 10, 2005 8:01:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Bob Smith wrote:
> "Tinman" <mlynch@REMOVEMEcitlink.net> wrote in message
> news:3ec339F2acqtU1@individual.net...
>> Steve Sobol wrote:
>>>
>>> Better retention plans go to people who spend more money, generally.
>>> You're not even on the bare-minimum plan anymore, as the $30/300
>>> plan
>>> is gone and the least expensive plan is now $35.
>>
>> C'mon folks, at least read what the guy wrote. He was on TWO $30
>> plans. Yes he was getting a 5% discount (3 whole dollars), but he
>> was still paying SPCS $57 for the last six years. There are
>> certainly people here that have gotten retention deals when spending
>> around $60 per month.
>>
>> However, I believe that since he kept two separate plans the SPCS rep
>> was unable to "finagle" the system to come up with anything better
>> for him. If I were him, I would at least make one more attempt, and
>> make
>> sure the rep is aware of just how much he was spending. If the folks
>> here missed it, you can bet your ass the SPCS rep did too.
>
> I agree with some of your points Mike, that the rep could not finagle
> the system. In saying that, 2 $30 accts doesn't generate much if any
> revenue, if those were two actively used accounts.
>

We can argue about $60 being too low; I have no problem with that. But I
read Steve's post--perhaps incorrectly--as a borderline insult because
the guy was only spending $30 per month. I felt that was out of line, as
the guy had, according to him, been spending twice that for many years.
It also seemed obvious that he was willing--I'd say expecting--to pay
even more than $60 per month. He just wasn't happy with what they
offered for $80 per month.


> As for those sweet retention deals provided in the past, like the one
> I negotiated 14 months or so ago, I don't believe they are offered as
> much, if any now.
>

Yep, it sure seems that way. I still think the OP can do better than
what he was offered though.


>
> Got 1200 minutes for 3 phones, for $60/mo. N & W start @ 8:00 PM. Add
> $5 for PCS2PCS and $15 for Vision on the primary phone and $5 on one
> other phone. Also got 5% off the monthly expense, so after taxes &
> surcharges, the monthly expense runs $94 or so. If I were to drop
> Vision, I suspect the expense would drop down to less than $80 mo.
>

My deal has been renegotiated so many times I'm afraid to have anyone
touch it. I pay 59.99 for 2,000 minutes, plus 20.00 each for two shared
phones. Vision is not listed as a separate line-item ("$59.99 PCS Free
and Clear with Vision"), and it's unlimited on all three phones (ditto
for text messages). I of course have unlimited N&Ws and PCS-to-PCS. My
last "retention" deal only got me 7PM N&W--but my contract was not
extended (it expired last year). My total bill comes in at around $115
per month. I rarely use more than 75% of my anytime minutes, so it's
hard to say if I'd be better off with a plan like yours (assuming I
could even get it nowadays).


--
Mike
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 8:39:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

On Mon, 09 May 2005 22:07:07 -0700, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
wrote:
>Steevo@my-deja.com wrote:
>
>> Maybe the $150 rebate every 18 months is working for them. It's not
>> quite good enough for me. I haven't done anything yet.
>
>What would be good enough for you?
If the rebate would actually pay for any nice phone at all it would be
as good as any carrier would give a new customer, even Sprint. . But
it won't.

You have seen the ads. Two $229 phones for $49. (Sanyo 8200) -- But
not for current customers. Only new ones. Every cellular store has a
"free phone" sign out front, even Sprint.

I paid for every Sprint phone I ever had, I never ever got a free
phone from them (there were no free phones in 1999). But I only paid
about $70. per phone.

Things have changed now. They have dramatically raised the "retail"
price with discounts only for new customers. Those discounts are a
mechanism to keep you signed up for a long contract, and that's their
only function. It's obvious. Bundling.

I think a longtime customer should be able to get at least as good a
deal as a new customer, and that was how it used to be. Buy your own
phone and the price wasn't too outrageous.

It makes little sense to buy phones at the prices they are selling at
now. You have to have a spiff or free offer. It's designed that way.
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 12:00:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

....so, just get the new one! This same number has been posted on
Howardforums.com for months,... it's really no big secret if you've
been doing this for awhile,

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean the worlds NOT out to get
you."
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 12:04:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

"Isaiah Beard" <sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote in message news:1182365nns52k7c@corp.supernews.com...
> Steve Sobol wrote:
>
>> Better retention plans go to people who spend more money, generally.
>
> I wouldn't say that. I'm on the $35 plan, and I managed to get someone
> to knock $5 a month off my Vision add-on,

Anyone can get $5 knocked off the $15 Vision plan.

> plus a 14% discount over my overall bill.

The discount you get depends only on who your employer is.

--
John Richards
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 12:41:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Scooterflex wrote:
> This is starting to sound like Phillipe...

It's not Phillipe. I know Steevo from a couple other newsgroups and mailing
lists we're both on. I can guarantee it's not Phillipe. :) 

--
JustThe.net - Apple Valley, CA - http://JustThe.net/ - 888.480.4NET (4638)
Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"The wisdom of a fool won't set you free"
--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 12:43:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Tinman wrote:

> C'mon folks, at least read what the guy wrote. He was on TWO $30 plans.

For two different phones.

> him. If I were him, I would at least make one more attempt, and make
> sure the rep is aware of just how much he was spending. If the folks
> here missed it, you can bet your ass the SPCS rep did too.

He was spending $60 per month. That's still midrange as far as revenue per
customer goes... I know people who spend upwards of $100 per month on a single
line. (I used to be one of them!)


--
JustThe.net - Apple Valley, CA - http://JustThe.net/ - 888.480.4NET (4638)
Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"The wisdom of a fool won't set you free"
--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 12:46:02 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Tinman wrote:

> We can argue about $60 being too low; I have no problem with that. But I
> read Steve's post--perhaps incorrectly--as a borderline insult because
> the guy was only spending $30 per month. I felt that was out of line, as
> the guy had, according to him, been spending twice that for many years.
> It also seemed obvious that he was willing--I'd say expecting--to pay
> even more than $60 per month. He just wasn't happy with what they
> offered for $80 per month.

Wasn't meant as an insult, just a statement of fact, and $30/line/month isn't a
big revenue generator, no matter how many lines there are. No one really offers
any plans under $35/month as far as I know...

> Yep, it sure seems that way. I still think the OP can do better than
> what he was offered though.

Quite possible, and I didn't mean to imply otherwise, just wanted to say "don't
expect much".

> My deal has been renegotiated so many times I'm afraid to have anyone
> touch it. I pay 59.99 for 2,000 minutes, plus 20.00 each for two shared
> phones.

I suspect if the OP had a shared-phone plan, it might have helped things.


--
JustThe.net - Apple Valley, CA - http://JustThe.net/ - 888.480.4NET (4638)
Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"The wisdom of a fool won't set you free"
--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 12:49:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Steevo@my-deja.com wrote:

>>>Maybe the $150 rebate every 18 months is working for them. It's not
>>>quite good enough for me. I haven't done anything yet.
>>
>>What would be good enough for you?
>
> If the rebate would actually pay for any nice phone at all it would be
> as good as any carrier would give a new customer, even Sprint. . But
> it won't.

I got my Samsung 660 for $30 after a $150 rebate, and the $150 rebate is
available to existing customers who haven't bought a new phone in the last 18
months (that didn't apply to me; I was activating a second phone, but still)...

I don't think that's a bad deal.

How often do you expect phone discounts? The carrier is going to want to see
some benefits for giving you a phone near or (often) under their cost...


> Things have changed now. They have dramatically raised the "retail"
> price with discounts only for new customers. Those discounts are a
> mechanism to keep you signed up for a long contract, and that's their
> only function. It's obvious. Bundling.

The New For You discount is aimed squarely at EXISTING customers. No, you don't
get as much of a rebate as some new customers will, but you get a nice discount
nonetheless.

> It makes little sense to buy phones at the prices they are selling at
> now. You have to have a spiff or free offer. It's designed that way.

*shrug* I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

--
JustThe.net - Apple Valley, CA - http://JustThe.net/ - 888.480.4NET (4638)
Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"The wisdom of a fool won't set you free"
--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 1:30:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

On 9 May 2005 23:53:20 -0700, amonefinancemh@comcast.net wrote:

>Here is part of your problem. When you call into sprint and ask for
>the retention department (old school), the reps don't know what you're
>talking about. They have been retooled to refer to "retention" as the
>"customer goals" department. So, if you want "retention" ask for
>"customer goals" dept. Then again, lets cut to the chase,. 800 658
>7564 is the number to dial.

But now that you have posted that direct number, it won't stay their
number for very long.
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 10:04:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

On Tue, 10 May 2005 20:49:29 -0700, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
wrote:
>>>What would be good enough for you?
>>
>
>I got my Samsung 660 for $30 after a $150 rebate, and the $150 rebate is
>available to existing customers who haven't bought a new phone in the last 18
>months (that didn't apply to me; I was activating a second phone, but still)...
>
>I don't think that's a bad deal.

How many phones do you have? Seems like a lot.

>How often do you expect phone discounts? The carrier is going to want to see
>some benefits for giving you a phone near or (often) under their cost...

I very much doubt that. How much do you think it costs to make a
phone that weighs 3 oz in a plant in Mexico (Motorola) or Korea
(Samsung) in very high volume? Not much. Maybe $15 or $20. I doubt
the camera adds $10.

The bundling is distorting the price of the product and causing the
rates for service to increase.

If Motorola and Samsung were duking it out in the market selling their
products to us directly or through dealers, with the carrier left out
I think nice color camera phones would be available for $100 or less.
Some might be more, but there would be a lot of products competing.

As it is that competition on hardware is taken out of the equation.
That is almost always bad. More competition would be good.

The GSM carriers would be supporting something I might like: A bigger
PDA phone for the week, and a smaller phone for the weekends. You
don't see that suggested at all. That could be done on Sprint, with
the online phone change, though certainly less convenient than
swapping a SIM.

>
>The New For You discount is aimed squarely at EXISTING customers. No, you don't
>get as much of a rebate as some new customers will, but you get a nice discount
>nonetheless.
Current customers get a much worse deal than new customers. That is
another distortion of the system. The carriers are using their
contracts and their stranglehold on the phone supply to game the
system.

One thing you might be interested in: I called Sprint today, I asked
them why any change in the phone on the account resets the 18 month
timer for the new phone rebate, even if they didn't give me anything
at all.

I can understand if they give me a free phone or a large rebate that
they would want me to work that off. But I changed from one phone to
another that I owned and I had a new 18 month timer! That makes no
sense. The rep agreed and said she would bring that up in their
meeting.
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 10:04:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Steevo@my-deja.com wrote:

> How many phones do you have? Seems like a lot.

Just three. One is a spare, an old half-broken LG 5350. The other two are
currently in use; my wife's Hitachi P300 and my Samsung SPH-A620/VGA-1000.

>>How often do you expect phone discounts? The carrier is going to want to see
>>some benefits for giving you a phone near or (often) under their cost...
>
> I very much doubt that. How much do you think it costs to make a
> phone that weighs 3 oz in a plant in Mexico (Motorola) or Korea
> (Samsung) in very high volume? Not much. Maybe $15 or $20. I doubt
> the camera adds $10.

I'm sure it costs more than that. Primarily, the phone manufacturers have to
pay a nice chunk of change to Qualcomm to license CDMA; the phone manufacturers
don't typically build their own chipsets, either.

Anyhow, what the phone costs to make isn't the issue. The issue is what the
phone manufacturers charge the carriers, and I'm pretty sure it's more than $10
or $20. Do they really only cost $20 to make? I'm sure that's true for at least
some of them. Does Sprint pay $20/phone to a manufacturer to bring inventory
into their stores? I seriously doubt it. Especially if you're talking about
Motorola, whose products have always been priced high.

> If Motorola and Samsung were duking it out in the market selling their
> products to us directly or through dealers, with the carrier left out
> I think nice color camera phones would be available for $100 or less.

Maybe, maybe not. At any rate, it sounds like you want extremely cheap or free
phones, so the point is moot.

> The GSM carriers would be supporting something I might like: A bigger
> PDA phone for the week, and a smaller phone for the weekends. You
> don't see that suggested at all. That could be done on Sprint, with
> the online phone change, though certainly less convenient than
> swapping a SIM.

It could be more convenient. Verizon allows ESN swaps online. I'd love it if
Sprint did too.

>>The New For You discount is aimed squarely at EXISTING customers. No, you don't
>>get as much of a rebate as some new customers will, but you get a nice discount
>>nonetheless.
>
> Current customers get a much worse deal than new customers.

....sometimes. Maybe.

I think I was able to get $30 more in discounts as a new customer (technically,
that's what I was, I was activating a new line of service) than I would have as
a returning customer using New for You.

$30 isn't bad, but it isn't all that big a deal either.

Before making any assumptions, check your paper, the Sprint website, etc., and
see what kind of deals are out there for new customers. Yes, they ARE better.
How much better is up for debate.

> One thing you might be interested in: I called Sprint today, I asked
> them why any change in the phone on the account resets the 18 month
> timer for the new phone rebate, even if they didn't give me anything
> at all.

As I understand it, it's 18 months since the last time you activated a new
phone on the account. I have activated phones on my account that were not
bought new... after I broke my Samsung 660, I activated my brother-in-law's old
LG and it didn't reset the timer. I finally got the 620 I wanted, but I haven't
checked whether it reset the timer, but based on my recent experience it should
not have.

> I can understand if they give me a free phone or a large rebate that
> they would want me to work that off. But I changed from one phone to
> another that I owned and I had a new 18 month timer!

Hm. Sounds like there's a problem here... inconsistency in how the policy is
implemented.

> sense. The rep agreed and said she would bring that up in their
> meeting.

I was given the date I qualify for NE2, after activating the LG. It was
12/2/2005, which is exactly 18 months after the date I bought my last new
Sprint phone... the Samsung 660 with which I activated the new line last year.
I'll check again tomorrow to see if the date got reset with this latest change,
but I bought a used phone off eBay - so it shouldn't.

--
JustThe.net - Apple Valley, CA - http://JustThe.net/ - 888.480.4NET (4638)
Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"The wisdom of a fool won't set you free"
--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 7:24:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

On Wed, 11 May 2005 00:19:24 -0700, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
wrote:
>Steevo@my-deja.com wrote:
>
>>>How often do you expect phone discounts? The carrier is going to want to see
>>>some benefits for giving you a phone near or (often) under their cost...
>>
>> I very much doubt that. How much do you think it costs to make a
>> phone that weighs 3 oz in a plant in Mexico (Motorola) or Korea
>> (Samsung) in very high volume? Not much. Maybe $15 or $20. I doubt
>> the camera adds $10.
>
>I'm sure it costs more than that. Primarily, the phone manufacturers have to
>pay a nice chunk of change to Qualcomm to license CDMA; the phone manufacturers
>don't typically build their own chipsets, either.
No argument, but if the qualcomm chipset costs $5 I would be shocked.

>Anyhow, what the phone costs to make isn't the issue. The issue is what the
>phone manufacturers charge the carriers, and I'm pretty sure it's more than $10
>or $20. Do they really only cost $20 to make? I'm sure that's true for at least
>some of them. Does Sprint pay $20/phone to a manufacturer to bring inventory
>into their stores? I seriously doubt it. Especially if you're talking about
>Motorola, whose products have always been priced high.

You are comfortable with the phones all being filtered through the
carrier. I am not.

I would prefer phones would be sold as phones and carriers were
carriers.

The way cellular is now is the way wired phones were 50 years ago,
provided with your service at practically no cost by the telcos. When
that was stopped we got much better equipment, and I don't think the
prices of telephone equipment is out of line today. There is lots of
competition.

I was on the Pacific Bell Cellular system when it went live in LA with
a 30# AT&T speakerphone in my car. Calls were about 90 cents/minute.
Phones were sold by a cellular retailer, the carrier had nothing to do
with it. Retailers bought them from manufacturers. Expensive though.

>> If Motorola and Samsung were duking it out in the market selling their
>> products to us directly or through dealers, with the carrier left out
>> I think nice color camera phones would be available for $100 or less.
>
>Maybe, maybe not. At any rate, it sounds like you want extremely cheap or free
>phones, so the point is moot.
I just don't care for distortion of the competitive market. I am sure
you admit that is happening. More now that 2 years ago. Competition
is good.
>
>> The GSM carriers would be supporting something I might like: A bigger
>> PDA phone for the week, and a smaller phone for the weekends. You
>> don't see that suggested at all. That could be done on Sprint, with
>> the online phone change, though certainly less convenient than
>> swapping a SIM.
>
>It could be more convenient. Verizon allows ESN swaps online. I'd love it if
>Sprint did too.
Sprint's website "activate phone online" used to allow that, I have
done it. Are you sure it doesn't?

It does however reset the 18 month timer, which sounds like a computer
programming issue. I should be able to take a phone out of my drawer
and use it without affecting anything. But I can't.

>
>Before making any assumptions, check your paper, the Sprint website, etc., and
>see what kind of deals are out there for new customers. Yes, they ARE better.
>How much better is up for debate.
LOTS better.

>> One thing you might be interested in: I called Sprint today, I asked
>> them why any change in the phone on the account resets the 18 month
>> timer for the new phone rebate, even if they didn't give me anything
>> at all.
>
>As I understand it, it's 18 months since the last time you activated a new
>phone on the account. I have activated phones on my account that were not
>bought new... after I broke my Samsung 660, I activated my brother-in-law's old
>LG and it didn't reset the timer. I finally got the 620 I wanted, but I haven't
>checked whether it reset the timer, but based on my recent experience it should
>not have.
>
>> I can understand if they give me a free phone or a large rebate that
>> they would want me to work that off. But I changed from one phone to
>> another that I owned and I had a new 18 month timer!
>
>Hm. Sounds like there's a problem here... inconsistency in how the policy is
>implemented.
No, it's consistent. The timer is reset. The rules on the website say
so.
In fact they have been moving it back on my acct, at least twice.

I just started printing out the page with the date the 18 months is
up. I have made no changes and it has been changed twice for me.

The rep agreed the phone I am using was activated in 2002, and the
timer didn't expire until 5/1/05. But it was a year or more earlier.
It has been finagled by Sprint. Interesting huh? I wish I had
printed out the pages before, I would have it in black and white. I
didn't think of it.
>
>> sense. The rep agreed and said she would bring that up in their
>> meeting.
>
>I was given the date I qualify for NE2, after activating the LG. It was
>12/2/2005, which is exactly 18 months after the date I bought my last new
>Sprint phone... the Samsung 660 with which I activated the new line last year.
>I'll check again tomorrow to see if the date got reset with this latest change,
>but I bought a used phone off eBay - so it shouldn't.
Yeah, I would be interested.
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 7:59:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Steevo@my-deja.com wrote:

> Sprint's website "activate phone online" used to allow that, I have
> done it. Are you sure it doesn't?
>
> It does however reset the 18 month timer, which sounds like a computer
> programming issue. I should be able to take a phone out of my drawer
> and use it without affecting anything. But I can't.

I just talked to Sprint CS for an unrelated reason and did check my New For You
qualifying date, which was pushed back to January 2006 because the USED phone I
just bought will be eighteen months old at that time.

However, the CSR confirmed that I was correct, that the timer is only reset on
purchases of new phones. Or is supposed to only be reset for new phones, anyhow.

So obviously there was a screwup somewhere, and the CSR said it had to be fixed
at the store. (Ummmmm.... I don't think so. Closest Sprint store is 45 minutes
away.)

>>Before making any assumptions, check your paper, the Sprint website, etc., and
>>see what kind of deals are out there for new customers. Yes, they ARE better.
>>How much better is up for debate.
>
> LOTS better.

I can't answer that, because you didn't give any examples. LOTS is subjective.

>>Hm. Sounds like there's a problem here... inconsistency in how the policy is
>>implemented.
>
> No, it's consistent. The timer is reset. The rules on the website say
> so.
> In fact they have been moving it back on my acct, at least twice.

No, it's not consistent, because I've changed phones more than once, and I have
not always been reset.

> I just started printing out the page with the date the 18 months is
> up. I have made no changes and it has been changed twice for me.

Then obviously something is wrong, wouldn't you say?

> The rep agreed the phone I am using was activated in 2002, and the
> timer didn't expire until 5/1/05. But it was a year or more earlier.
> It has been finagled by Sprint. Interesting huh? I wish I had
> printed out the pages before, I would have it in black and white. I
> didn't think of it.

I'd like to start gathering some data from you and others who have had this
problem. I'm sufficiently annoyed to start complaining to Sprint... and the
more people who share their experiences with me, the better... I'd like to say
"this just happened to me, and look, it happened to a bunch of other people
too; fix it."

>>I was given the date I qualify for NE2, after activating the LG. It was
>>12/2/2005, which is exactly 18 months after the date I bought my last new
>>Sprint phone... the Samsung 660 with which I activated the new line last year.
>>I'll check again tomorrow to see if the date got reset with this latest change,
>>but I bought a used phone off eBay - so it shouldn't.
>
> Yeah, I would be interested.

As I mentioned, it did get reset, but according to the CSR, it shouldn't have.

This ought to be interesting. If you want to send some more information over to
me that is related to the 18-month timer, use my posting address, which is
valid and unmunged.

I love Sprint's network and coverage, and phone selection. Their backend
systems, however, apparently need to be fixed.

--
JustThe.net - Apple Valley, CA - http://JustThe.net/ - 888.480.4NET (4638)
Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"The wisdom of a fool won't set you free"
--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 8:59:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

"Steevo@my-deja.com" <steevo@my-deja.com> wrote in message
news:1i7481dmfd113ckpq85a4bfq1foidqfkk5@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 11 May 2005 00:19:24 -0700, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
> wrote:
> >Steevo@my-deja.com wrote:
> >
> >>>How often do you expect phone discounts? The carrier is going to want
to see
> >>>some benefits for giving you a phone near or (often) under their
cost...
> >>
> >> I very much doubt that. How much do you think it costs to make a
> >> phone that weighs 3 oz in a plant in Mexico (Motorola) or Korea
> >> (Samsung) in very high volume? Not much. Maybe $15 or $20. I doubt
> >> the camera adds $10.
> >
> >I'm sure it costs more than that. Primarily, the phone manufacturers have
to
> >pay a nice chunk of change to Qualcomm to license CDMA; the phone
manufacturers
> >don't typically build their own chipsets, either.
> No argument, but if the qualcomm chipset costs $5 I would be shocked.

Then don't be standing in any water and quit your complaining. All these
phones offered by the carriers cost much more than you think with the
electronics inside & the licensing to Qualcomm. Then add the cost of the
battery to the phone. Then you've got the manufacturer's overhead, which is
built into the cost of the phone to the carrier (labor, machinery, insurance
etc.), the packaging of the phone, the shipping expenses, and I'm guess a
touch more for warranties and phone replacements if the phones turn out to
be defective.

Carriers still subsidize the cost of the phones to their customers. More for
new customers (on certain models). Try seeing what kind of discount SPCS is
offering new customers on any other models than the 8200's. It will only be
$150 off the price of the MSRP. SPCS will offer additional credits when a
customer buys multiple accessories at one time.

Bob
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 10:05:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

"Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:tRqge.923$bm5.507@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>
> "Steevo@my-deja.com" <steevo@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> news:1i7481dmfd113ckpq85a4bfq1foidqfkk5@4ax.com...
>> On Wed, 11 May 2005 00:19:24 -0700, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
>> wrote:
>> >Steevo@my-deja.com wrote:
>> >
>> >>>How often do you expect phone discounts? The carrier is going to want
> to see
>> >>>some benefits for giving you a phone near or (often) under their
> cost...
>> >>
>> >> I very much doubt that. How much do you think it costs to make a
>> >> phone that weighs 3 oz in a plant in Mexico (Motorola) or Korea
>> >> (Samsung) in very high volume? Not much. Maybe $15 or $20. I doubt
>> >> the camera adds $10.
>> >
>> >I'm sure it costs more than that. Primarily, the phone manufacturers have
> to
>> >pay a nice chunk of change to Qualcomm to license CDMA; the phone
> manufacturers
>> >don't typically build their own chipsets, either.
>> No argument, but if the qualcomm chipset costs $5 I would be shocked.
>
> Then don't be standing in any water and quit your complaining. All these
> phones offered by the carriers cost much more than you think with the
> electronics inside & the licensing to Qualcomm. Then add the cost of the
> battery to the phone. Then you've got the manufacturer's overhead, which is
> built into the cost of the phone to the carrier (labor, machinery, insurance
> etc.), the packaging of the phone, the shipping expenses, and I'm guess a
> touch more for warranties and phone replacements if the phones turn out to
> be defective.

Comparing cellphones to MP3 players, I think cell phones are a bargain.
You can't get a decent MP3 player for much under $200, yet all they have
is a low tech audio chip, no complex RF tuners, etc.

--
John Richards
May 11, 2005 10:05:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

John Richards wrote:
>
> Comparing cellphones to MP3 players, I think cell phones are a
> bargain. You can't get a decent MP3 player for much under $200, yet
> all they
> have is a low tech audio chip, no complex RF tuners, etc.

Comparing a cell phone to a music player is a bit of a stretch, unless
the discussion is about MP3-playing phones. But for the record, I can
buy a 4 GB iPod Mini for around $230. Considering a 4 GB microdrive
costs around $185, I'd say an extra $55 for the iPod itself is a pretty
good deal.

How about something a little closer though, say, cordless phones. I just
bought, for a whopping $130, a cordless 5.8 GHz "system." The base unit
came with two handsets, but there was a "bundle sale" which offered a
third handset for no additional charge (methinks the offer was prolly
due to competition, but what do I know). In essence, I bought my own
wireless phone system, including the base station. And this is not
exactly featureless. It includes: built-in answering machine (accessible
from any handset), animated graphical display, walkie-talkie mode
between handsets, speaker-phone on handsets as well as base-station,
room monitor mode (works great), large phone-book with distinctive ring
for incoming calls, and of course tons of ringers.

Sounds to me like that's a heck of a lot of stuff for $130. And no
subsidy lock! I actually could have purchased any of the dozen or so
different models/brands and any one of them would have worked with my
phone-line. That wasn't the case in the cell phone section. YMMV.


--
Mike
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 1:37:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

"Tinman" <mlynch@REMOVEMEcitlink.net> wrote in message
news:3ef1mmF2lh24U1@individual.net...
> John Richards wrote:
> >
> > Comparing cellphones to MP3 players, I think cell phones are a
> > bargain. You can't get a decent MP3 player for much under $200, yet
> > all they
> > have is a low tech audio chip, no complex RF tuners, etc.
>
> Comparing a cell phone to a music player is a bit of a stretch, unless
> the discussion is about MP3-playing phones. But for the record, I can
> buy a 4 GB iPod Mini for around $230. Considering a 4 GB microdrive
> costs around $185, I'd say an extra $55 for the iPod itself is a pretty
> good deal.
>
> How about something a little closer though, say, cordless phones. I just
> bought, for a whopping $130, a cordless 5.8 GHz "system." The base unit
> came with two handsets, but there was a "bundle sale" which offered a
> third handset for no additional charge (methinks the offer was prolly
> due to competition, but what do I know). In essence, I bought my own
> wireless phone system, including the base station. And this is not
> exactly featureless. It includes: built-in answering machine (accessible
> from any handset), animated graphical display, walkie-talkie mode
> between handsets, speaker-phone on handsets as well as base-station,
> room monitor mode (works great), large phone-book with distinctive ring
> for incoming calls, and of course tons of ringers.
>
> Sounds to me like that's a heck of a lot of stuff for $130. And no
> subsidy lock! I actually could have purchased any of the dozen or so
> different models/brands and any one of them would have worked with my
> phone-line. That wasn't the case in the cell phone section. YMMV.
>


And at a $130, not a bad deal. But does the phone-
-communicate with the base station from more than a few hundred feet away?
-allow you to view internet content directly on the phone?
-take pictures?
-allow pictures to be viewed.
-have voice-activated dialing?
-have the ability to download and play games?
-allow you to view and send email?

Now, if you look at your $130 phones (which is actually quite cheap for 5.8
GHz phones) and estimate the cost of the additional functionality for each
phone, what do you come up with? And how does it compare to a basic cell
phone?
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 1:28:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Thank you Tinman for understanding what I was trying to convey. You seem
to understand my situation/dilemma. Yes, I am willing to pay $80 or $90
or even $100 for the 3 lines in a Family Plan but I was hoping for
something a little better than what the 1st rep offered.

Yes, I am on the el cheapo $30 plan but we have 2 phones hence $60 on a
single account name. And Yes, like Isiah said, we have never ever
missed a single payment in the 6 years we have been with SprintPcs.
OOoh I had better remember to mention that the next time I call Sprint
again. I know for a fact that Sprint was having some problems earlier
cos of deadbeats.

And Yes, we bought our phones back in 1999 without a rebate or discount.

I would be very happy with any of those retention plans that you guys
mentioned. Hey what is the difference if Sprint offered you a $100
retention plan to keep you. I am willing to pay the $100 that you may
be paying now. Isn't that a $100 revenue for Sprint regardless of what
I had before? Makes no sense that some of you keep saying that my el
cheapo $60 is not a money maker for Sprint and hence no good retention
plan since the new retention plan of $100 if offered to me would
certainly make them money just like yours. $100 is $100 to Sprint.

I am not even hoping for a deal as good as what some of you had gotten.
Just something more decent that what was offered.

Tinman wrote:
> Bob Smith wrote:
>
>>"Tinman" <mlynch@REMOVEMEcitlink.net> wrote in message
>>news:3ec339F2acqtU1@individual.net...
>>
>>>Steve Sobol wrote:
>>>
>>>>Better retention plans go to people who spend more money, generally.
>>>>You're not even on the bare-minimum plan anymore, as the $30/300
>>>>plan
>>>>is gone and the least expensive plan is now $35.
>>>
>>>C'mon folks, at least read what the guy wrote. He was on TWO $30
>>>plans. Yes he was getting a 5% discount (3 whole dollars), but he
>>>was still paying SPCS $57 for the last six years. There are
>>>certainly people here that have gotten retention deals when spending
>>>around $60 per month.
>>>
>>>However, I believe that since he kept two separate plans the SPCS rep
>>>was unable to "finagle" the system to come up with anything better
>>>for him. If I were him, I would at least make one more attempt, and
>>>make
>>>sure the rep is aware of just how much he was spending. If the folks
>>>here missed it, you can bet your ass the SPCS rep did too.
>>
>>I agree with some of your points Mike, that the rep could not finagle
>>the system. In saying that, 2 $30 accts doesn't generate much if any
>>revenue, if those were two actively used accounts.
>>
>
>
> We can argue about $60 being too low; I have no problem with that. But I
> read Steve's post--perhaps incorrectly--as a borderline insult because
> the guy was only spending $30 per month. I felt that was out of line, as
> the guy had, according to him, been spending twice that for many years.
> It also seemed obvious that he was willing--I'd say expecting--to pay
> even more than $60 per month. He just wasn't happy with what they
> offered for $80 per month.
>
>
>
>>As for those sweet retention deals provided in the past, like the one
>>I negotiated 14 months or so ago, I don't believe they are offered as
>>much, if any now.
>>
>
>
> Yep, it sure seems that way. I still think the OP can do better than
> what he was offered though.
>
>
>
>>Got 1200 minutes for 3 phones, for $60/mo. N & W start @ 8:00 PM. Add
>>$5 for PCS2PCS and $15 for Vision on the primary phone and $5 on one
>>other phone. Also got 5% off the monthly expense, so after taxes &
>>surcharges, the monthly expense runs $94 or so. If I were to drop
>>Vision, I suspect the expense would drop down to less than $80 mo.
>>
>
>
> My deal has been renegotiated so many times I'm afraid to have anyone
> touch it. I pay 59.99 for 2,000 minutes, plus 20.00 each for two shared
> phones. Vision is not listed as a separate line-item ("$59.99 PCS Free
> and Clear with Vision"), and it's unlimited on all three phones (ditto
> for text messages). I of course have unlimited N&Ws and PCS-to-PCS. My
> last "retention" deal only got me 7PM N&W--but my contract was not
> extended (it expired last year). My total bill comes in at around $115
> per month. I rarely use more than 75% of my anytime minutes, so it's
> hard to say if I'd be better off with a plan like yours (assuming I
> could even get it nowadays).
>
>
May 13, 2005 2:51:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

SS wrote:
> "Tinman" <mlynch@REMOVEMEcitlink.net> wrote in message
<snip>
>>
>> One final note: while the cordless phones I have now cost less and
>> have more features than the two-year-old models they replaced, they
>> also *work better* as phones. While my Sanyo 8200 has more features
>> than the 8100 is replaced, it cost more and does not work better as
>> a phone. In fact I'm thinking of Ebaying that 8200 and going back to
>> the 8100 (till
>> I decide on a phone that is a true upgrade). YMMV
>>
>
> I guess my expectations are lower, knowing the factors in play. My
> landline phone better damn well have crystal clear sound, as it is
> hardwired into the system. My cell is a different story- as long as
> it allows me to make a call, be understood and understand the other
> party, I'm good with it. To expect the same level of quality and
> service as a hardwired network is a little naive to me.

For the record I think you misunderstood--or I worded incorrectly--my
final note. What I was trying to convey was that my new cordless phone
cost less, has more features, and sounds better than the model it
replaced. My new cell phone cost more, has more features, and sounds
worse than the model it replaced (same SPCS system). I was basically
taking a shot at the Sanyo 8200. I did not mean to imply I expected the
same sound quality between POTS and cellular. That would indeed be a
little naive to me too. <g>


>
> Thanks, Mike- nice to have a civilized conversation in here for a
> change.

Roger that, SS.


--
Mike
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 5:49:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

> It compares well. I purchased *three* phones, and a base-station for
> that price (I guess you could say four phones, if I you include the
> base-station).

OK, I'm sold. What is the Brand and model of this new cordless phone
system. I want new ones?
May 13, 2005 5:49:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Floyd I Johnson wrote:
>> It compares well. I purchased *three* phones, and a base-station for
>> that price (I guess you could say four phones, if I you include the
>> base-station).
>
> OK, I'm sold. What is the Brand and model of this new cordless phone
> system. I want new ones?

I don't have the model number handy, but it's a Uniden that I purchased
from a Staples store (not online). I don't remember if the original
price was reduced or not, but there was a $30 rebate (received). They
also offered a free third handset (normally $50 or so). Figuring I
wouldn't likely find a better price online I went for it (my Amex card
got me another 2% off).

It's the best-sounding cordless phone I've ever owned (YMMV). And at 5.8
GHz, my WiFi network is no longer fighting with the phone system.

The irony is that I'm thinking of dropping landline service altogether.
OTOH, it doesn't cost me a whole lot for the line anymore (about the
only add-on is caller ID, and I've removed LD completely) and my wife
seems to prefer using it instead of her cell (probably because she has a
Sanyo 8200 too). Still, I would love to be able to "cut the cord."


--
Mike
May 21, 2005 2:26:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

C M wrote:

> I asked the customer service what is the difference between this and if
> I sign up as a new customer using my wife's name for the family plan. He
> admitted that the only difference would be we would get our rebates on
> the 2 phones instantly as opposed to mail-in.
>
> They call this a retention plan???? This is a big joke cos this is
> exactly the same if you were to sign up today with SprintPCS.
> $80 for the 3 lines sharing 800 minutes and $5 extra if you want the
> Free N&Wkends to start at 7pm.

My contract was up last month and I wanted to add a fourth phone to my
$110 F&CA 2000 minute plan (+2nd phone free +$20 for third phone). All
have free unlimted Vision, free unlimited messaging and no roaming. I
was offered the same thing that you were. The *NEW* plan would have
cost me about $20 more a month for my existing 3 phone plan and $35 more
if I added a forth line. I asked what was in it for me by signing a new
2 year contract, the answer was just like yours, I could get a rebate on
phones. Well, I could do that now from the 18 month option that I have
not exercised yet. I asked if I could just simply add a 4th phone to my
existing plan and was told I could not. I politely ended the call and
went to a Sprint store. I was able to add a 4th line to my existing
plan, got a $49 8200 with no rebate involved and I only pay $25 more a
month ($20 for the additional add on phone +5 for Vision). I'm happy
with that. Of course all phones on my plan are have unlimited Vision
for free but they are charging $5 for the forth phone. Oh well. I have
one 2 year contract on the add a phone and nothing else on the other
lines and a far better deal then what I was offered in retention by
sticking with my old plan. My Sanyo 4900's are a little dated but not
being in a contract for the other three phones is an added bonus.
!