XP (2005) that can\'t boot- I was told to install another HDD to retrive files

Gruncle

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
I have a pc with XP (2005) that can\'t boot- I was told to install another HDD to retrive files from old HDD - how do I go about this - can I buy I drive with XP or 7 installed a just plug it in?

cmichael138

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2008
No...hard drives don't come with the operating system installed. You will need to disconnect the old drive, install a new drive, purchase a Windows 7 or XP disk, install the operating system on the new drive, then re-connect the old drive and copy whatever files you can.

oxford373

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
try to run windows on safe mode or if you can remove your hard drive and connect it to other PC or try to download a bootable mini xp from internet then copy it to cd so you can run it from the cd or a bootable ghost program
if you have multiple partitions you can install window on other partition that dont include the data you want, and after you complete installing windows you can retrieve your data, or instal windows on other hard drive when you finish installing windows retrieve your data

the easiest way to recover your data is to boot from an Ubuntu or Fedora Live CD. Once the its booted you can plug an external usb hard disk or thumb drive. then you can copy the data from your old hard disk onto the external.

If you have an OEM computer (pre-built) it probably has a factory copy of the OS installed and you initiate a restore of that with one of the Function buttons during bootup.

You still need to copy either the data (Documents folder) or the entire drive. For the entire drive, if you have a Seagate or Western Digital (even if its USB) use the free version of Acronis True Image (for WD get it from the WD site for hard drives->software). You'd have to install on a different computer and create a BOOT DISC. Use a DVD or CD and use imgburn from www.imgburn.com .

Then restore the original copy of Windows.

*Step-by-step (if possible):
1) boot to the Acronis disc (change boot order to DVD before hard drive if needed)

2) create a backup image to a USB hard drive or second internal hard drive. Use the VERIFY option as well. Use the first or second compression level.

3) boot and restore the installed image of Windows (F-Key) if possible.

4) start updating Windows, add programs, updated drivers etc.

5) copy back over important data (usually in "My Documents" folder)

There are several ways to accomplish your task.

*I strongly recommend you start ANY of these tasks by creating an Acronis True Image backup to a second hard drive. No matter what you do, you can always restore it or at least browse it via Windows Explorer to copy back data.

Gruncle

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012

I down loaded Ubuntu and the install file on to a DVD disc and tried to boot from that but it would not boot. It asked me to insert a bootable disc??