mn-520 locks up my notebook

I have a toshiba satellite 1415-s105 notebook running XP
that I use a MN-520 wireless adapter with to network to a
MN-500 base station attached to my XP desktop. I am also
using internet connection sharing with my broadband
internet.

My problem is that every few days, while using IE 6 on
the
notebook, the green wireless light on the wireless
adapter
goes out, the green power light on the adapter stays on,
the network connection taskbar icon says "wireless
connection unavailable, and my notebook locks up. I
cannot even control-alt-delete
to restart. I must reboot to fix the problem.

I have checked the MN-500 and the internet connection on
my desktop when this happens and there are no problems.

I have seen a couple of posts with similar problems
relating to 802.1x authentication and/or energy saving
mode. I do not have 802.1x enabled on the devices and the
lock up often occur while I am using the laptop, so I do
not think it is an energy saving issue.

I sure would appreciate any ideas.

Thanks,

Miles Mykel

is there anything in the event log that coincides with this loss of
connection? also, can you set the client lease time to 2 weeks on the
base station and see if that makes a difference.

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

I changed the client lease time to 2 weeks on the
base station and it continues to lock up with no
improvement. If by event log you mean the Base Station
Log there does not seem to be any events coinciding with
the times when the laptop locks up. IS there a different
event log that I should be checking?

I was thinking that if you were running XP on the laptop, the event
viewer might shed some light on this. i believe this laptop normally
comes with XP Home installed...

this definitely sounds like a hardware issue of some kind, and i was
hoping there was something in the event log that would confirm this.

in any case, you should probably give the support folks a call on this
one.

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 21:21:02 -0700, "Miles Mykel"

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist