MP225 vs JRX125. what is the real difference JBL is putting?

Last response: in Home Audio
April 2, 2005 6:11:14 AM

JBL makes two "almost" identical speakers, MP225 and JRX125, they are
both 500w RMS, 2 way, duel 15", almost same size, and 4lb Weight
difference.

Only that MP225 is ($600) twice the price of JRX125 ($300), in
addition, the MP225 frequency response is 32Hz~12.5kHz but the JRX125,
which are half the cost of the MP's, are 35Hz~16kHz, which seems to
be better and Cheaper! it just can't happen like that though!

Please anybody, I want to buy good sounding speakers, and I want JBL
duel 15" 2 way speakers that sound excellent, so I need help to make
up my mind. I mean is it worth to spend the extra $600 for a pair?

Thanks a lot
Ameen
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 12:04:53 AM

Hi Ameen,

> JBL makes two "almost" identical speakers, MP225 and JRX125, they are
> both 500w RMS, 2 way, duel 15", almost same size, and 4lb Weight
> difference.
>
> Only that MP225 is ($600) twice the price of JRX125 ($300), in
> addition, the MP225 frequency response is 32Hz~12.5kHz but the JRX125,
> which are half the cost of the MP's, are 35Hz~16kHz, which seems to
> be better and Cheaper! it just can't happen like that though!

from looking at the spec sheets, both speakers seem
to share the same basic components, that is 2x M115-8A
bass/lo-mid-speakers and a 2412(H) compression driver.

So I would not expect a very different high-frequency
sound and performance apart from possibly different
system tuning. Similar holds true for low-frequency
performance. The MP225 enclosure is somewhat deeper
so the low-frequency tuning might be different and
make for the spec'd 32Hz rather than 35Hz with the JRX.

The horns on both systems are different which makes
for different directional characteristics above 2kHz.
The MP225 exhibits a 70°x70° nominal pattern whereas
the JRX125 has a 90°x50° horn. From the spec sheets
both work well, so the choice will depend on your
application rather than quality considerations.

Different directional characteristics may also sound
different depending on the acoustical properties of
the room because a broader radiation angle will more
likely trigger reflections from the side walls of the
room. Whether you want that behavior or not again
depends on the room and the application. The MR225
is a little bit more lieke a medium throw box,
whereas the JRX has more of a short-throw system.

The enclosure of the MR255 is made from plywood
rather than MDF in the case of the JRX125. Plywood
will turn out to be more robust in the long run,
however that will not be the reason to pay twice
the price of the JRX unless heavy touring (ab)use
can be expected.

I'd recommend to find a dealer who has both systems
and run a comparison test using music material you
will most likely use the loudspeakers for.
I'd expect them to sound similar but maybe there
are audible differences due to different system
tunings.

Best regards,

Dieter Michel

> Please anybody, I want to buy good sounding speakers, and I want JBL
> duel 15" 2 way speakers that sound excellent, so I need help to make
> up my mind. I mean is it worth to spend the extra $600 for a pair?
>
> Thanks a lot
> Ameen

Anonymous
April 3, 2005 12:33:40 AM

> JBL makes two "almost" identical speakers, MP225 and JRX125, they are
> both 500w RMS, 2 way, duel 15", almost same size, and 4lb Weight
> difference.
>
> Only that MP225 is ($600) twice the price of JRX125 ($300), in
> addition, the MP225 frequency response is 32Hz~12.5kHz but the JRX125,
> which are half the cost of the MP's, are 35Hz~16kHz, which seems to
> be better and Cheaper! it just can't happen like that though!
>
> Please anybody, I want to buy good sounding speakers, and I want JBL
> duel 15" 2 way speakers that sound excellent, so I need help to make
> up my mind. I mean is it worth to spend the extra $600 for a pair?
>
> Thanks a lot
> Ameen

The prices I see on JRX125's are $400 and up, unless you found a good sale.

I bet the difference is that the JRX has EQ circuitry in the crossover to
extend the frequency response. I can't see how the same compression driver
could have higher response on a 90x40 horn than a 70x70 otherwise. That
would be consistent with the JRX line, post good specs even if it
comprimises the quality. Specs + JBL name + low cost = sales.

I'm not a fan of either speaker, it takes a pretty small room not to need a
sub under them, and with a sub you're limited to 250W of mids thanks to the
"quasi-3-way" crossover. I haven't noticed any significant difference in
sound between the two, but I haven't exactly compared them side-by-side.

No brand name offers absolute assurance of quality, if the specs smell
fishy, they probably are.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 3:53:28 AM

Thanks guys, that was very helpful!!