Adobe Audition interface

Last response: in Home Audio
a b D Laptop
April 2, 2005 10:26:49 AM

Presently using ADAT 8 track vhs format, combined with Soundcraft
Delta 200 console. Would like to know what interface to use with
firewire equipped laptop. Will like to transfer the 8 tracks from
the ADAT to the laptop, and then add additional tracks to the laptop.
The program I would be using is Audio Audition 1.5. Is this possible
to do, and what interface(s) should I be looking at, Thank you.
Mike
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 2, 2005 12:07:49 PM

"Mike R" wrote ...
> Presently using ADAT 8 track vhs format, combined with Soundcraft
> Delta 200 console. Would like to know what interface to use with
> firewire equipped laptop. Will like to transfer the 8 tracks from
> the ADAT to the laptop, and then add additional tracks to the laptop.
> The program I would be using is Audio Audition 1.5. Is this possible
> to do, and what interface(s) should I be looking at, Thank you.

We are all still waiting for an "ADAT lightpipe" PC
(PCMCIA) card product. Is the market really that small
that is it not economicaly viable?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 2, 2005 12:22:16 PM

I might be wrong, but I think that you're talking about something like
the RME digiface :
http://tinyurl.com/4k995

Regards,

Evangelos

%
Evangelos Himonides
IoE, University of London
tel: +44 2076126599
fax: +44 2076126741
"Allas to those who never sing but die with all their music in them..."

Oliver Wendell Holmes
%
a b D Laptop
April 2, 2005 4:31:56 PM

In article <d3965730.0504020626.6916c12d@posting.google.com> mike.riccucci@sympatico.ca writes:

> Presently using ADAT 8 track vhs format, combined with Soundcraft
> Delta 200 console. Would like to know what interface to use with
> firewire equipped laptop. Will like to transfer the 8 tracks from
> the ADAT to the laptop, and then add additional tracks to the laptop.

What you want to look for is an interface that has analog inputs and
outputs to interface with your console and also has an ADAT Optical
(Lightpipe) interface to transfer the ADAT tracks. This is a pretty
common combination. Some offer mic inputs on the analog side, some
offer a couple of mic inputs, some offer line-level inputs only. Lots
of choices, none of them bad.

The MOTU 828 MkII is pretty popular. The M-Audio 1814 is another
possibility.

a b D Laptop
April 2, 2005 8:22:57 PM

In article <114tgqodvn66cbc@corp.supernews.com> rcrowley7@xprt.net writes:

> We are all still waiting for an "ADAT lightpipe" PC
> (PCMCIA) card product. Is the market really that small
> that is it not economicaly viable?

I believe that RME has one, but it's a PCMCIA card that connects to a
box that contains the ADAT optical I/O. I don't think this one is
"economically viable" at least for me.

It's one of those "going out of style too quickly" things. Nobody was
really interested in transferring ADAT tracks to a PC back when ADATs
were cool, because PCs were powerful enough to mix the way we want to
mix today - no plug-ins, barely enough horsepower to mix 8 tracks at
16 bits, with truncating arithmetic.

Today, there are plenty of Firewire boxes that have ADAT lightpipe
interfaces (mostly for backward compatibility) as well as decent
multi-channel analog I/O.

a b D Laptop
April 2, 2005 8:22:58 PM

You're right Mike, it is not the most economical of solutions...
The Digiface has only digital inputs and costs around $650.
I am using the Multiface, which has 8 analog inputs and costs around
$820.
Of course the Cardbus (that's how they call their PCMCIA interface) is
an additional $350.
Things would be simpler if the OP wanted to use a desktop, because then
he could go for one of the PCI cards for much less money.
I am very pleased with the stability and behavior of this setup.
Especially after I replaced the native hard-drive in my Toshiba Laptop
with a -hardly acquired- 7200 RPM drive, my system doesn't raise an
eyebrow even when I'm trying to push it for testing.

Regarding the use of the ADAT lightpipe, I have only used it recently
and it was a "lets see if you crack under pressure kinda situation";
Part of my work in a research project has to do with recording young
choristers for a longitudinal study about their development and for
each chorister I am recording 1ch of audio and 1ch of Lx (vocal fold
vibration - from a laryngograph) signal. During the last session I was
told -on the spot- that we'll record 5 at a time (the multiface has 8
analog inputs) so I used an A/D converter with ADAT out and sent it to
the Multiface. I was relieved when the whole thing was finished...

Best wishes,

Evangelos
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 3, 2005 12:43:55 AM

In article <1112483161.358471.275790@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com> himonides@gmail.com writes:

> Things would be simpler if the OP wanted to use a desktop, because then
> he could go for one of the PCI cards for much less money.

That always makes things easier. He may need the portability (though a
Shuttle PC and an LCD monitor is pretty portable), or he may be like
about half the "real people" computer buyers and buy a laptop, using
it as a desktop computer nearly all the time, choosing the laptop for
the compact size and all-in-one packaging.

a b D Laptop
April 3, 2005 3:15:13 AM

"Mike Rivers" wrote ...
> It's one of those "going out of style too quickly" things.
> Nobody was really interested in transferring ADAT tracks
> to a PC back when ADATs were cool, because PCs were
> powerful enough to mix the way we want to mix today -
> no plug-ins, barely enough horsepower to mix 8 tracks at
> 16 bits, with truncating arithmetic.

But there are more products using the ADAT lightpipe
almost every month. Doesn't seem to be "going out of
style" from what I have observed. The interface has gone
well beyond the old ADAT SVHS machines.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 3, 2005 3:47:28 PM

In article <114v2fiko7stn36@corp.supernews.com> rcrowley7@xprt.net writes:

> But there are more products using the ADAT lightpipe
> almost every month. Doesn't seem to be "going out of
> style" from what I have observed. The interface has gone
> well beyond the old ADAT SVHS machines.

Nope, you're behind the times. Products using the ADAT lightpipe for
an 8-channel interface are being phased out in favor of Firewire or
USB 2.0. They're not equivalent by any means, but since the primary
interest in marketable products is to get audio into a computer (not
get it from a mic preamp into a console), Firewire is a way to do that
using technology developed on the computer industry's nickel. That's
the way they like it.

ADAT Optical, by definition and design, can only handle sample rates
up to 48 kHz. Hardware using that physical interface at higher sample
rates are mostly using the S-Mux extension with one "pipe" handling
four channels. While there are some gozoutas being made like that,
there aren't too many gozintas yet. I suspect that we're in the "VHS
vs. Beta" phase for this now, and that while S-Mux may be the more
"pro audio" solution (as much as TOSLink fiber optic cable is "pro") I
suspect that Firewire, for as long as it lasts before being replaced
by something else, will win out for the majority of the customers. The
minority will be stuck with few choices and higher costs.

a b D Laptop
April 3, 2005 9:12:03 PM

Richard Crowley wrote:

> "Mike Rivers" wrote ...
>
>> It's one of those "going out of style too quickly" things. Nobody was
>> really interested in transferring ADAT tracks to a PC back when ADATs
>> were cool, because PCs were powerful enough to mix the way we want to
>> mix today - no plug-ins, barely enough horsepower to mix 8 tracks at
>> 16 bits, with truncating arithmetic.
>

> But there are more products using the ADAT lightpipe almost every month.
> Doesn't seem to be "going out of
> style" from what I have observed. The interface has gone well beyond
> the old ADAT SVHS machines.

A new machine may have as few as two PCI slots. Litepipe may
not last much longer in favor of Firewire/USB2.0

--
Les Cargill
Anonymous

Hello Mike,

Since you said laptop, according the the Motu Traveler manual sitting
right here, it'll interface 8 channels of ADAT at 44.1-48khz along
with a bunch of other interfaces. It *may* need more current through
the FW than what the laptop may be able to supply though, dunno, tbd,
still looking into, etc.

Neat little box...

Back to work...

Andy