Charles S. Roberts awards for 2004

Hi,

The Charles S. Roberts awards - named after the Founding Father of
modern wargaming - is the most prestigious award you can win when
you're a wargame designer.

This years nominees were :

Best Pre-20th Century Era Computer Wargame

· Battleground Gettysburg (HPS Simulations)
· Dragoon (Shrapnel Games)
· Rome Total War (Activision)

Best 20th Century Era Computer Wargame

· Battles in Normandy (Matrix Games)
· War in the Pacific (Matrix Games)
· Hearts of Iron II (Paradox Interactive)

Luckily I'm not a betting man for I would have gone for Dragoon (RTW
having realism problems, Gettysburg being the same-old same-old
BattleGround engine) and WitP (BiN being KP on another front, HoI 2
actually being HoI done right)

And the winners are ...<drums> ... Rome Total War and Battles in
Normandy

Congrats to both Activision and SSG

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

ray o'hara schreef:

> <eddysterckx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> The Charles S. Roberts awards - named after the Founding Father of
> modern wargaming - is the most prestigious award you can win when
> you're a wargame designer.
>

> who sponsors it and who votes?

Organizer : ConsimWorld / World Boardgame Championships
Sponsor : Forum members - WBC attendees ?? - it costs $18 annually to
have access to the forums - they've got a couple of thousand people
actually paying for a wargame forum :)
Voters : once upon a time it was every gamer willing to vote, now I
assume it's only the forum members that get to vote.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

In article <eeOdncSf8Y_jGmXfRVn-hw@comcast.com>, roh@comcast.net says...

> The Charles S. Roberts awards - named after the Founding Father of
> modern wargaming - is the most prestigious award you can win when
> you're a wargame designer.
>

> who sponsors it and who votes?

http://www.alanemrich.com/CSR_pages/CSRawards.htm

....and...

http://www.consimworld.com/archives/000488.html

....lead me to suspect that a bunch of boardgaming dinosaurs are holding
an *online poll*[1] and pretending that it has some sort of relevance
outside their little cloister.

Yeah. CLICK'n'TWITCH TOTAL WAR. PC-Wargame-O-The-Year. That makes
sense.

[1] US President Howard Dean would be proud of 'em.

--
Giftzwerg
***

> ray o'hara schreef:
>
> > <eddysterckx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > The Charles S. Roberts awards - named after the Founding Father of
> > modern wargaming - is the most prestigious award you can win when
> > you're a wargame designer.
> >

> > who sponsors it and who votes?
>
> Organizer : ConsimWorld / World Boardgame Championships
> Sponsor : Forum members - WBC attendees ?? - it costs $18 annually to
> have access to the forums - they've got a couple of thousand people
> actually paying for a wargame forum :)
> Voters : once upon a time it was every gamer willing to vote, now I
> assume it's only the forum members that get to vote.
>
> Greetz,
>
> Eddy Sterckx

i've always wondered, so there is no magazine to buy ad space in like
computer gaming world. where the winner is the largest advertiser.

"ray o'hara" <roh@comcast.net> wrote in >
> i've always wondered, so there is no magazine to buy ad space in like
> computer gaming world. where the winner is the largest advertiser.

From the CSR Website:

"31 May 1988

CSR AWARDS AUTHORIZATION

Dear Mr. Rodger B. MacGowan,

In regard to your letter and offer of May 26th just received, please be
advised that it is my desire to have the use of my name on the various
"Awards" be accomplished in a manner and in a context that is "independent"
of any commercial connection and "free" from any conflict of interest.

Toward that end, you and your "Charles S. Roberts Awards" Council have my
authority to take all appropriate steps. If any major issue cannot be
resolved in good faith by you and this group, the matter should be referred
to me for decision.

Very Truly Yours,

Charles S. Roberts"

In article <11fhmqjdgjufq85@corp.supernews.com>, NoSpamThanks_sch-
michael@vom.com says...

> > i've always wondered, so there is no magazine to buy ad space in like
> > computer gaming world. where the winner is the largest advertiser.
> >
> From the CSR Website:
>
> "31 May 1988
>
> CSR AWARDS AUTHORIZATION
>
> Dear Mr. Rodger B. MacGowan,
>
> In regard to your letter and offer of May 26th just received, please be
> advised that it is my desire to have the use of my name on the various
> "Awards" be accomplished in a manner and in a context that is "independent"
> of any commercial connection and "free" from any conflict of interest.
>
> Toward that end, you and your "Charles S. Roberts Awards" Council have my
> authority to take all appropriate steps. If any major issue cannot be
> resolved in good faith by you and this group, the matter should be referred
> to me for decision.

Well, but this simply raises the obvious question; what - exactly - is
the "manner and context" through which the awards process is
accomplished?

So far as I can determine, one simply pastes a copy of the available-
online ballot into an email and transmits it to the appropriate address.
Damned if I can see where there's any sort of control on this, and if
not, the potential abuses are legion - and the statistical accuracy is
highly questionable.

If any balloonhead on the internet can vote willy-nilly (and as many
times as he likes...) then (a) any claim to this award being
"prestigious" is specious, and (b) any results are invalid right outta
the starting gate.

--
Giftzwerg
***

Giftzwerg <giftzwerg999@NOSPAMZ.hotmail.com> wrote in

> KORSUN POCKET (8/25/03)? COMBAT MISSION: AFRIKA KORPS (12/5/03)?
>
> Coupled with HTTR, I'd say it's arguable (and strongly arguable) that
> the three best PC wargames *ever* were released in 2003.
>
> And these zombies sputter "No Winner"?

Ok - I give in - they were zombies, just give them a chance to clean-up
their act for the future. Considering Dragoon got nominated at least the
nominating committee knows what they are doing.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

--
"Ceterum censeo Belgicam delendam esse."
(Cato, 'Pro Gerolphe')

"ray o'hara" <roh@comcast.net> wrote in news:G-CdnefpuMNRS2XfRVn-
vQ@comcast.com:

> i've always wondered, so there is no magazine to buy ad space in like
> computer gaming world. where the winner is the largest advertiser.

I sense a juicy story in there - do continue

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

--
"Ceterum censeo Belgicam delendam esse."
(Cato, 'Pro Gerolphe')

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> Luckily I'm not a betting man for I would have gone for Dragoon

Isn't Dragoon a little of the same old too? Horse and Musket preceded
it and before that was... ummm.. Dragoon! Same engine... same
scenarios... older graphics.

"Eddy Sterckx" <eddysterckx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "ray o'hara" <roh@comcast.net> wrote in news:G-CdnefpuMNRS2XfRVn-
> vQ@comcast.com:
>
> > i've always wondered, so there is no magazine to buy ad space in like
> > computer gaming world. where the winner is the largest advertiser.
>
> I sense a juicy story in there - do continue

i would imagine they operate like car mags, buy advertizing, give them some
product to use and you win the "of the year award".

Gifty,

Thanks for coming to our defence - much appreciated. However, in all
honesty HTTR was only released on the 12 December 2003 IRC and I must
admit that I was not even aware that the Charlies were still alive. So
I failed to notify them about its release. These things happen. :)

I would like to add that my office wall still sports the Charlie we won
back in 1988 for Fire-Brigade and I am very proud of it.

Rest assured I'll make a point of notifying the awards committee when
COTA is released real soon now. :))

> So far as I can determine, one simply pastes a copy of the available-
> online ballot into an email and transmits it to the appropriate
> address. Damned if I can see where there's any sort of control on
> this, and if not, the potential abuses are legion - and the
> statistical accuracy is highly questionable.

Wargamers are such an honest bunch that this isn't an issue ? :)

> If any balloonhead on the internet can vote willy-nilly (and as many
> times as he likes...) then (a) any claim to this award being
> "prestigious" is specious,

My claim - me and that award go way back - fond memories and all that -
bought a couple of boardgames based on it getting the award - was never
disappointed.

> and (b) any results are invalid right outta
> the starting gate.

Yeah, I know, it's as water-tight as a bucket without a bottom - not
like the little poll I held in here last january :)

Basically an award gets it's prestige from looking back at the winners
in the past and counting the amount of turkeys versus the games you
remember fondly - no turkeys in the lists as far as I can tell - in that
sense the award is still prestigious in my eyes.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

--

> Giftzwerg <giftzwerg999@NOSPAMZ.hotmail.com> wrote in
>
> > So far as I can determine, one simply pastes a copy of the available-
> > online ballot into an email and transmits it to the appropriate
> > address. Damned if I can see where there's any sort of control on
> > this, and if not, the potential abuses are legion - and the
> > statistical accuracy is highly questionable.
>
> Wargamers are such an honest bunch that this isn't an issue ? :)
>
> > If any balloonhead on the internet can vote willy-nilly (and as many
> > times as he likes...) then (a) any claim to this award being
> > "prestigious" is specious,
>
> My claim - me and that award go way back - fond memories and all that -
> bought a couple of boardgames based on it getting the award - was never
> disappointed.
>
> > and (b) any results are invalid right outta
> > the starting gate.
>
> Yeah, I know, it's as water-tight as a bucket without a bottom - not
> like the little poll I held in here last january :)
>
> Basically an award gets it's prestige from looking back at the winners
> in the past and counting the amount of turkeys versus the games you
> remember fondly - no turkeys in the lists as far as I can tell - in that
> sense the award is still prestigious in my eyes.

i agree , many of those games i've owned over the years.

Dan schreef:

> > Luckily I'm not a betting man for I would have gone for Dragoon
>
> Isn't Dragoon a little of the same old too? Horse and Musket preceded
> it and before that was... ummm.. Dragoon! Same engine... same
> scenarios... older graphics.

Yup, didn't say I would have voted for Dragoon - I would have *betted*
on it as ConsimWorld has a lot of Nappy and pre-Nappy players.

I like innovation (when done right that is) so allthough not nominated
I would have gone for Tin Soldiers : Alexander the Great in the
pre-20th century category.

But if I *really* had to choose between the 3 nominated games my vote
would have gone to RTW. The tactical battles are truely awfull, but the
strategic portion is a game in itself. I had such high hopes for this
game after an early beta was used in the tv series "Time Commanders".

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

On 9 Aug 2005 17:43:36 -0700, "Arjuna" <dave@panthergames.com> wrote:

>I would like to add that my office wall still sports the Charlie we won
>back in 1988 for Fire-Brigade and I am very proud of it.

You should be proud (of the game, not the award). The combination of
AI, UI and playability put most of the wargames that came out over the
next 10 years to shame. Hell, half the wargames published these days
aren't up to it's standards.

I don't know how well it did commercially but it's definitely
something to be proud of.

Rgds, Frank

TRENDING THREADS