Manfrotto / Tall Stands

Last response: in Home Audio
April 2, 2005 8:15:42 PM

Heya.

I'm looking to get a couple of Manfrotto-like stands, as I'd like to be
able to throw up a reasonably high ambient pair for orchestral sessions.

I've got my hands on a Manfrotto 004 (max height 385cm) for cheap, but I
was wondering what other manufacturers make similar stands? At work they
have loads of 'MULTIBLITZ' stands, but noone knows where they came from,
and google doesnt come up with much at all (except for small camera
tripods).

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Ben.

More about : manfrotto tall stands

Anonymous
April 2, 2005 8:15:43 PM

"Ben Bayliss" <usenet@drives.me.mad.benbayliss.co.uk> wrote in message
> Heya.
>
> I'm looking to get a couple of Manfrotto-like stands, as I'd like to be
> able to throw up a reasonably high ambient pair for orchestral sessions.
>
> I've got my hands on a Manfrotto 004 (max height 385cm) for cheap, but I
> was wondering what other manufacturers make similar stands? At work they
> have loads of 'MULTIBLITZ' stands, but noone knows where they came from,
> and google doesnt come up with much at all (except for small camera
> tripods).

Manfrotto makes a lightweight stand called the Highboy that goes up about 18
feet (5.5m). It's about $100USD. You have to add an adapter to go from
lights to mikes, but it only costs about $5. I own one of these and can
testify that it's perfect for the job.

Norm Strong
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 8:15:43 PM

Ben Bayliss wrote:

> I'm looking to get a couple of Manfrotto-like stands, as I'd like to be
> able to throw up a reasonably high ambient pair for orchestral sessions.
>
> I've got my hands on a Manfrotto 004 (max height 385cm) for cheap

So buy them.

The Avenger A410B is about the same height, but holds more weight and
has a lazy leg for those sloping auditorium floors. More money, though.
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 8:15:44 PM

normanstrong@comcast.net wrote:

> Manfrotto makes a lightweight stand called the Highboy that goes up about
> 18 feet (5.5m). It's about $100USD.

Can you still get them? I thought they were discontinued.
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 8:15:44 PM

<normanstrong@comcast.net> wrote in message

> Manfrotto makes a lightweight stand called the Highboy that goes up about
> 18 feet (5.5m). It's about $100USD. You have to add an adapter to go
> from lights to mikes, but it only costs about $5. I own one of these and
> can testify that it's perfect for the job.

Manfrotto discontinued that model awhile back, as I found out when I tried
to buy a second one to go with the one I already had. I ended up getting a
couple of the Avenger A410B. They don't go quite as high, but they're
sturdier, and the lazy leg is nice.

Hal Laurent
Baltimore
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 10:53:16 PM

Don;t go cheap. You;re putting several pounds of hardware way up high on a
long lever. Yeah you lose the mics if they crash down but way worse is the
lawsuit from whom they hit on the way down...
Buy weight bags

There's a Manfrotto stand/boom that has a nifty straight-up-or-boom
extention that is very workable.

Beyond that the MATTHEWS cinema grip stands are the way to go.

http://www.msegrip.com/mse.php?show=product&cat=&produc...

http://www.msegrip.com/mse.php?show=product&cat=&produc...

Are 2 of MANY possibilities there

On 4/2/05 10:15 AM, in article MMOdnVHP4Pm2KtPfRVnyig@pipex.net, "Ben
Bayliss" <usenet@drives.me.mad.benbayliss.co.uk> wrote:

> Heya.
>
> I'm looking to get a couple of Manfrotto-like stands, as I'd like to be
> able to throw up a reasonably high ambient pair for orchestral sessions.
>
> I've got my hands on a Manfrotto 004 (max height 385cm) for cheap, but I
> was wondering what other manufacturers make similar stands? At work they
> have loads of 'MULTIBLITZ' stands, but noone knows where they came from,
> and google doesnt come up with much at all (except for small camera
> tripods).
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Cheers,
> Ben.
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 1:55:36 AM

Having gotten a Manfrotto for "cheap", as you put it, I'd keep looking for
more. Good equipment. Lesser priced units I've seen simply don't hold up
(pun intended). <g>

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio
> dale wrote:
> > try this link
> >
> > < http://www.wesdooley.com/aea/Modular_Microphone_Stands.... >
> >
> > dale
> >

> eek. Spose I'd have been best mentioning 'in the UK' and 'as cheap as
> possible' in my original post.
>
> Thanks tho :)
>
> Ben
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 3:01:23 AM

Plus it takes up like 4 seats of space and it's a trip machine for elderly
even if they are only 20' close to it. In some circumstances it's way
better to come down from the ceiling than go up towards it. Particularly in
live events with wealthy patronage. You know, people you don't want to have
a law suit from? <g> A trip to the catwalk and hanging mounts works just
fine if you don't want someone getting tangled up in your 6'2" spread of mic
stand legs.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio
"Kurt Albershardt" <kurt@nv.net> wrote in message
> SSJVCmag wrote:
> >
> > Beyond that the MATTHEWS cinema grip stands are the way to go.
>
> Like (ka-ching)
> <http://www.msegrip.com/mse.php?show=product&cat=&produc...;

Anonymous
April 3, 2005 3:42:17 AM

"Roger W. Norman" <rnorman@starpower.net> wrote in message

> In some circumstances it's way
> better to come down from the ceiling than go up towards it.

That's all well and good when there's a catwalk available. I never seem to
get one of those gigs. More often I have situations where there's no
catwalk, but blocking the paying customers' sightlines is a no-no.

What I'd really like is a portable method of putting some sort of high stand
on either side of the stage, and suspending a cable between them for hanging
microphones.

Hal Laurent
Baltimore
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 3:42:18 AM

Hal Laurent wrote:

> What I'd really like is a portable method of putting some sort of high stand
> on either side of the stage, and suspending a cable between them for hanging
> microphones.

What we need is a teeny tiny truss system. Crank-up stands ought to
handle the vertical part. How small do aluminum trusses come?
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 10:11:47 AM

On 4/2/05 10:42 PM, in article rCJ3e.21$AF2.8016@news.abs.net, "Hal Laurent"
<laurent@charm.net> wrote:

> "Roger W. Norman" <rnorman@starpower.net> wrote in message
>
>> In some circumstances it's way
>> better to come down from the ceiling than go up towards it.
>
> That's all well and good when there's a catwalk available. I never seem to
> get one of those gigs. More often I have situations where there's no
> catwalk, but blocking the paying customers' sightlines is a no-no.
>
> What I'd really like is a portable method of putting some sort of high stand
> on either side of the stage, and suspending a cable between them for hanging
> microphones.

That'd be the guy line you string between the Heavy eyebolts in the church
woodwork you installed the night before on either side of the room...
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 2:22:01 PM

Most mike stands come with a little plastic clip that holds the mike cable
close to the upright tube of the stand--to keep the wire from flapping
around. I've been looking for some of these clips and I can't find them.
Does anyone know where I might find a supply of those things?

Thanks,

Norm Strong
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 3:47:25 PM

In article <3b9798F685pc7U1@individual.net> kurt@nv.net writes:

> What we need is a teeny tiny truss system. Crank-up stands ought to
> handle the vertical part. How small do aluminum trusses come?

A friend of mine built something like that for an annual recording gig
he had for several years. There was enough woodwork sticking out from
the walls to hang a truss about 16 feet long. This was in a historic
church, so no eye bolts.

He measured the required span one year, and the next year brough up a
rig made from two pieces of 3" extruded aluminum channel, slotted so
that they would slide together to allow about a foot of adjustment. He
was really pleased with the way it worked, but he only used it one
year. It's getting harder for him to travel and the festival
eventually became not enough fun to volunteer for.

April 3, 2005 10:06:40 PM

On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 10:22:01 -0700, <normanstrong@comcast.net> wrote:

>Most mike stands come with a little plastic clip that holds the mike cable
>close to the upright tube of the stand--to keep the wire from flapping
>around. I've been looking for some of these clips and I can't find them.
>Does anyone know where I might find a supply of those things?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Norm Strong

Mike stands come with more than one tube size. Why not use Velcro
cable ties instead? They even come in pretty colors if color identity
might help.

, _
, | \ MKA: Steve Urbach
, | )erek No JUNK in my email please
, ____|_/ragonsclaw dragonsclawJUNK@JUNKmindspring.com
, / / / Running United Devices "Cure For Cancer" Project 24/7 Have you helped? http://www.grid.org
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 5:26:42 AM

On 4/3/05 4:11 PM, in article
773512ea.0504031211.1d5fff5a@posting.google.com, "Alfonso"
<ad.audio@wanadoo.es> wrote:

> take a look at:
> http://www.seemics.com/stand.html
>
> maybe this are enough for you, I think about 300$
> hope this helps

Looks like a BOGEN tripod on a lite camera dolly with a dedicated boom.

USS used to have a HUGE set of Adult Tinkertoys dedicated to the pro
commercial product photography trade...
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 5:29:41 AM

On 4/3/05 1:22 PM, in article eq-dnQNB8Kinu83fRVn-3A@comcast.com,
"normanstrong@comcast.net" <normanstrong@comcast.net> wrote:

> Most mike stands come with a little plastic clip that holds the mike cable
> close to the upright tube of the stand--to keep the wire from flapping
> around. I've been looking for some of these clips and I can't find them.
> Does anyone know where I might find a supply of those things?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Norm Strong

http://www.blackaudio.com/descriptions.htm

Just a little ways down the page...

Cable Clip for AKG/Beyer Booms - keep your set-up as neat as a pin!
Factory original part - makes your boom just like new!
Hold mic cable against boom - gives you a new, clutter-free mic set-up!
Soft, pliable plastic - easy to snap onto booms and stands!

#BCC-1 - $5.00 each

Damned shame not enough folks gave enough biz here to make it stay
worthwhile.
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 5:50:07 AM

In article <l3c051pbk7regehvaso4dddqivf7dmavib@4ax.com>,
Steve Urbach <dragonsclaw@NOTmindspring.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 10:22:01 -0700, <normanstrong@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> >Most mike stands come with a little plastic clip that holds the mike cable
> >close to the upright tube of the stand--to keep the wire from flapping
> >around. I've been looking for some of these clips and I can't find them.
> >Does anyone know where I might find a supply of those things?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Norm Strong
> >
> Mike stands come with more than one tube size. Why not use Velcro
> cable ties instead? They even come in pretty colors if color identity
> might help.
>
> , _
> , | \ MKA: Steve Urbach
> , | )erek No JUNK in my email please
> , ____|_/ragonsclaw dragonsclawJUNK@JUNKmindspring.com
> , / / / Running United Devices "Cure For Cancer" Project 24/7 Have
> you helped? http://www.grid.org

I've become completely addicted to velcro for cable management in
general. It's close to perfect for a constantly changing studio.
Probably as indispensible now as gaffer's tape.

-Jay
April 4, 2005 12:07:00 PM

> Most mike stands come with a little plastic clip that holds the mike cable
> close to the upright tube of the stand--to keep the wire from flapping
> around. I've been looking for some of these clips and I can't find them.
> Does anyone know where I might find a supply of those things?

Like the little K+M ones that shoot across the room and get lost when the
cable gets a tug ?

Little bastards those, but useful. Find your nearest K+M distrib, or some
shop that kow how to order parts from them, and get a couple of dozen.

geoff
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 12:07:01 PM

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 08:07:00 +1200, "Geoff Wood"
<geoff@nospam-paf.co.nz> wrote:

><normanstrong@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Most mike stands come with a little plastic clip that holds the mike cable
>> close to the upright tube of the stand--to keep the wire from flapping
>> around. I've been looking for some of these clips and I can't find them.
>> Does anyone know where I might find a supply of those things?
>

>Like the little K+M ones that shoot across the room and get lost when the
>cable gets a tug ?
>
>Little bastards those, but useful. Find your nearest K+M distrib, or some
>shop that kow how to order parts from them, and get a couple of dozen.

Or go to you local dollar store and but a package of ball end hair
ties. They'll last a year or two, but at a buck a package it is still
cost effective. They can also be used as cable ties.

Willie K. Yee, M.D. http://users.bestweb.net/~wkyee
Developer of Problem Knowledge Couplers for Psychiatry http://www.pkc.com
Webmaster and Guitarist for the Big Blue Big Band http://www.bigbluebigband.org
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 3:16:30 PM

On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 normanstrong@comcast.net wrote:

> Most mike stands come with a little plastic clip that holds the mike cable
> close to the upright tube of the stand--to keep the wire from flapping
> around. I've been looking for some of these clips and I can't find them.
> Does anyone know where I might find a supply of those things?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Norm Strong

I've been using small wire ties for years. I carry a small set of cutters
to take them off each time. Since the stand is front and center (usually)
it is important to keep the mic cords coming down the stand neat and tidy.

I think a bag of 500 has lasted me a couple of years now. Didn't cost to
much, and you can get them at many places.

Doug
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 4:15:13 PM

Ben Bayliss <usenet@drives.me.mad.benbayliss.co.uk> wrote:

>I'm looking to get a couple of Manfrotto-like stands, as I'd like to be
>able to throw up a reasonably high ambient pair for orchestral sessions.
>
>I've got my hands on a Manfrotto 004 (max height 385cm) for cheap, but I
>was wondering what other manufacturers make similar stands? At work they
>have loads of 'MULTIBLITZ' stands, but noone knows where they came from,
>and google doesnt come up with much at all (except for small camera
>tripods).

Multiblitz was a tradename of Metz, I think. They made high end studio
flash units back in the seventies.

I think a trip to a good camera store with a large lighting department
is in order. There are a lot of companies making lighting stands but
I don't know what is available in the UK. You will of course need an
adaptor to 5/8-27 thread.
--scott

April 4, 2005 4:19:17 PM

"Willie K.Yee, M.D." <wkyee@bestweb.netttttttttttttttt> wrote in message

> Or go to you local dollar store and but a package of ball end hair
> ties. They'll last a year or two, but at a buck a package it is still
> cost effective. They can also be used as cable ties.

I guess my balls aren't hairy enough to know about those !

;-)

geoff
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 4:19:18 PM

"Geoff Wood" <geoff@nospam-paf.co.nz> wrote in message news:42508800$1@clear.net.nz...

> "Willie K.Yee, M.D." <wkyee@bestweb.netttttttttttttttt> wrote in message
>
> > Or go to you local dollar store and but a package of ball end hair
> > ties. They'll last a year or two, but at a buck a package it is still
> > cost effective. They can also be used as cable ties.
>
> I guess my balls aren't hairy enough to know about those !
>
> ;-)

You would clamp your balls to a mic stand !?!?!
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 9:16:44 PM

On 4/4/05 12:15 PM, in article d2rp6h$jvj$1@panix2.panix.com, "Scott Dorsey"
<kludge@panix.com> wrote:

> Multiblitz was a tradename of Metz, I think. They made high end studio
> flash units back in the seventies.
>
> I think a trip to a good camera store with a large lighting department
> is in order. There are a lot of companies making lighting stands but
> I don't know what is available in the UK. You will of course need an
> adaptor to 5/8-27 thread.
> --scott

It's a bit of a silly organised website but the PARTS are remarkable

http://www.ultimatesupport.com/thinkertoys.html
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 3:50:00 AM

"Steve Urbach" <dragonsclaw@NOTmindspring.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 10:22:01 -0700, <normanstrong@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>Most mike stands come with a little plastic clip that holds the mike cable
>>close to the upright tube of the stand--to keep the wire from flapping
>>around. I've been looking for some of these clips and I can't find them.
>>Does anyone know where I might find a supply of those things?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Norm Strong
>>
> Mike stands come with more than one tube size. Why not use Velcro
> cable ties instead? They even come in pretty colors if color identity
> might help.

I've decided to use black nylon cable ties since this is for a more or less
permanent installation.

Thanks for the info everyone,

Norm
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 3:46:28 PM

I thought Black Audio went out of business.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio
"SSJVCmag" <ten@nozirev.gamnocssj.com> wrote in message
> On 4/3/05 1:22 PM, in article eq-dnQNB8Kinu83fRVn-3A@comcast.com,
> "normanstrong@comcast.net" <normanstrong@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > Most mike stands come with a little plastic clip that holds the mike
cable
> > close to the upright tube of the stand--to keep the wire from flapping
> > around. I've been looking for some of these clips and I can't find
them.
> > Does anyone know where I might find a supply of those things?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Norm Strong
>
> http://www.blackaudio.com/descriptions.htm
>
> Just a little ways down the page...
>
> Cable Clip for AKG/Beyer Booms - keep your set-up as neat as a pin!
> Factory original part - makes your boom just like new!
> Hold mic cable against boom - gives you a new, clutter-free mic set-up!
> Soft, pliable plastic - easy to snap onto booms and stands!
>
> #BCC-1 - $5.00 each
>
> Damned shame not enough folks gave enough biz here to make it stay
> worthwhile.

Anonymous
April 5, 2005 3:50:34 PM

Ha ha. The night before. Don't believe I've worked with you on one of
those night before setups John! <g>

--

> On 4/2/05 10:42 PM, in article rCJ3e.21$AF2.8016@news.abs.net, "Hal
Laurent"
> <laurent@charm.net> wrote:
>

> > "Roger W. Norman" <rnorman@starpower.net> wrote in message
> >
> >> In some circumstances it's way
> >> better to come down from the ceiling than go up towards it.
> >
> > That's all well and good when there's a catwalk available. I never seem
> > get one of those gigs. More often I have situations where there's no
> > catwalk, but blocking the paying customers' sightlines is a no-no.
> >
> > What I'd really like is a portable method of putting some sort of high
stand
> > on either side of the stage, and suspending a cable between them for
hanging
> > microphones.
>
> That'd be the guy line you string between the Heavy eyebolts in the church
> woodwork you installed the night before on either side of the room...

Anonymous
April 5, 2005 7:34:29 PM

In article <DrudnVZ4QoXQL8_fRVn-ig@rcn.net> rnorman@starpower.net writes:

> I thought Black Audio went out of business.

They're apparently still trying to do so. The web page currently lists
several of their products available (but hardly their full line) and
states that when they're gone, the company will be, too.

So get 'em while you can.

April 5, 2005 8:07:37 PM

On 4/5/05 1:50 AM, in article uIednel8pbuKqM_fRVn-qA@comcast.com,
"normanstrong@comcast.net" <normanstrong@comcast.net> wrote:

> I've decided to use black nylon cable ties since this is for a more or less
> permanent installation.

When I used to do location recording, one of the best things I ever bought
was a 100ct. bag of releasable zip-ties for $8 or so.

You could use them over and over, they're thicker than the standard ones
(nicer on the cables), and if you loose them it's no big deal (at $0.08 a
piece).

Allen
--
Allen Corneau
Mastering Engineer

The beauty of the K+M / Beyer/ AKG ones (all made by K+M) is that you can
snap them on in a second with one hand, and similarly 'off'.

The only drawback is the other methods of 'offness' and the projectile modes
they employ to avoid subsequent easy location.

geoff
!