[BOARDGAMES] How is the "Europa" series faring?

Today I discovered in a forgotten closet my collection of the old "Europa"
magazine, by Game Research/Design, and I spent some hours reviving the times
when I played boardgames on the living room table [1]. I lost track of the
series around 1997 (when I bought "Second Front" just to support the cause,
but never actually playing it). Is it still alive? Did they, at the end,
pulled off the fabled "uber-Europa" project with a single rulebook putting
together all the games for a 1939-45 reenactment of the war at two weeks
scale?

[1] Still a great way to play, even in the computer age. BTW, my very best
computer wargaming experience will always be the summer when I and another
nut connected two PCs in the same room and played "Eastern Front II" like an
old "Panzerblitz", head-to-head, with banter et al ("the only offensive
thing in your tactic is to call it 'offensive'..."). Nothing will ever beat
a game with the players in the same room.

GRD now owns the Europa series. Here is there web
site. The site has not been updated but they pop
in on the Europa yahoo group every so often.
Wavell's War is at the printers and should be the
mail with 4 weeks. Also The Russian front is
being redone and will be available by the end of
the year.

http://hmsgrd.com/

Tim

Vincenzo Beretta wrote:
> Today I discovered in a forgotten closet my collection of the old "Europa"
> magazine, by Game Research/Design, and I spent some hours reviving the times
> when I played boardgames on the living room table [1]. I lost track of the
> series around 1997 (when I bought "Second Front" just to support the cause,
> but never actually playing it). Is it still alive? Did they, at the end,
> pulled off the fabled "uber-Europa" project with a single rulebook putting
> together all the games for a 1939-45 reenactment of the war at two weeks
> scale?
>
> [1] Still a great way to play, even in the computer age. BTW, my very best
> computer wargaming experience will always be the summer when I and another
> nut connected two PCs in the same room and played "Eastern Front II" like an
> old "Panzerblitz", head-to-head, with banter et al ("the only offensive
> thing in your tactic is to call it 'offensive'..."). Nothing will ever beat
> a game with the players in the same room.

> my very best
> computer wargaming experience will always be the summer when I and another
> nut connected two PCs in the same room and played "Eastern Front II" like an
> old "Panzerblitz", head-to-head, with banter et al ("the only offensive
> thing in your tactic is to call it 'offensive'..."). Nothing will ever beat
> a game with the players in the same room.

The fairly recent appearance of more affordable notebook computers ($600 to
$750) could enable more people to return to that kind of gaming. I wonder
if anyone has noticed? :)

Best regards, Major H.
tacops@mac.com
http://www.battlefront.com/

> The fairly recent appearance of more affordable notebook computers ($600
> $750) could enable more people to return to that kind of gaming. I wonder
> if anyone has noticed? :)

This is one reason why I am for the "good, detailed games, no frills" policy
for PC wargames and strategy games. Playing in the same room doubles the fun
and, basically, finally gives to you the best of both worlds (no cat eating
the counters, no problems in saving the gaming board when evening comes, and
all the good old mix of banter, curses, historical trivia contests pulled
off in the middle of the game, and beer).

As a fact, I still do play role-playing games and family boardgames (like
"The Settlers of Cataan") because really nothing beats a social event. The
Campaign Series is very good for this, as it is, of course, "Combat Mission"
and as it would be, I think, TacOps (I only tried the game single-player -
sorry Mayor!). "War in the Pacific", to give a different example, is not
really geared for an afternoon playing together in the same room.

I ever detested TOAW for not having a direct connection ability - it would
have been my gaming company opportunity to start and finish "Fire in the
East"/"Scorched Earth", thanks to Brian Topp's efforts.

> I ever detested TOAW for not having a direct connection ability - it would
> have been my gaming company opportunity to start and finish "Fire in the
> East"/"Scorched Earth", thanks to Brian Topp's efforts.

With all the changes made to TOAW, it's surprising it wasn't added.

Epi

----
I would rather use meek-words than power-words.
----

http://www.curlesneck.com