OncleJiBi

Distinguished
May 4, 2003
I'm buying a new computer and I'm unsure which hard drive configuration I should choose. The main use will be video games, and I don't need a very big hard drive (I already have one to stock my documents), but I need something quick. I chose the Asus P4C800 as my motherboard, so I have access both to a raid controller and S-ATA. For about the same price I can have 2 WD 60Gb 7200 RPM with 8Mb cache, or the new 36 Gb WD Raptor, with S-ATA and 10K RPM. As I told before, space is not very important, but 120 Gb is better then 36 for sure. Will I a major improvement in access time, or should I stick with a Raid configuration. And if I choose Raid, which setup will give me the best performance for video games.

Thanks.

OncleJiBi

elzt

Distinguished
May 10, 2002
Video games don't rely much on HD performance. Most of times, HD access is needed only during game loading and probably saving. So you should go for the 2 WD 60GB. Or like you said, space is not very important, then get just 1 WD 60GB and save the $ for a better video card if your current one can't handle today's and upcoming games.