Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

SprintPCS Mail?

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
May 18, 2005 11:47:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

I had unlimited vision web and an e-mail (name@sprintpcs.com), since I had
cancelled my unlimited Vision Web service seems to me I have no more e-mail
either.
Is this normal?.

More about : sprintpcs mail

May 18, 2005 11:47:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

PM wrote:
> I had unlimited vision web and an e-mail (name@sprintpcs.com), since
> I had cancelled my unlimited Vision Web service seems to me I have
> no more e-mail either.
> Is this normal?.

I'm almost certain it is normal. First, while you can access
sprintpcs.com email on a PC, it is still a part of Vision--and I'm
pretty darn sure it was meant to be used with your phone. Second, POP3
and online Web access are somewhat like bonuses (and make it easier to,
for instance, delete a large number of messages at one time).

Finally, "name" is (IIRC) your Vision username. You don't have Vision,
so it would seem likely you don't even have that username anymore. I
don't know how long Sprint PCS waits before recycling usernames, but I
would assume that name could belong to someone else in a few months (if
you have a common surname and used the default username that Sprint PCS
created for you).


--
Mike
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 2:18:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

In article <3f0ve0F5egb8U1@individual.net>, mlynch@REMOVEMEcitlink.net
says...
> I'm almost certain it is normal. First, while you can access
> sprintpcs.com email on a PC, it is still a part of Vision--and I'm
> pretty darn sure it was meant to be used with your phone. Second, POP3
> and online Web access are somewhat like bonuses (and make it easier to,
> for instance, delete a large number of messages at one time).
>
> Finally, "name" is (IIRC) your Vision username. You don't have Vision,
> so it would seem likely you don't even have that username anymore. I
> don't know how long Sprint PCS waits before recycling usernames, but I
> would assume that name could belong to someone else in a few months (if
> you have a common surname and used the default username that Sprint PCS
> created for you).

This is actually not true, by default. When a Vision phone is activated
on the Sprint PCs system, the *capability* to use Vision is also
activated, automatically. The billing is a penny per KB of data usage
to or from the phone. Then you can choose to have or not have one of
Vision "packs" that provide (among all the other stuff) unlimited data
usage to and from the phone for a flat fee.

If you simply tell a CSR that you no longer want to pay the $15, or $10
for Vision, then the billing "pack" gets removed, but this should not
affect your Vision *capability*. Thus, the Vision Username stays in
effect, and SprintPCS email along with it. There's an additional step
to *completely* remove Vision, including the capability for it. But a
customer has to specifically ask for it.

Unless you asked to have it completely disabled, you should still be
able to use PCS Mail. If not, call in and ask for Vision tech support.
They should be able to make sure your Vision username (and thus PCSMail)
are OK or not OK.


--
RØß
O/Siris
-+-
A thing moderately good
is not so good as it ought to be.
Moderation in temper is always a virtue,
but moderation in principle is always a vice.
+Thomas Paine, "The Rights of Man", 1792+
Related resources
May 19, 2005 1:43:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

O/Siris wrote:
> In article <3f0ve0F5egb8U1@individual.net>, mlynch@REMOVEMEcitlink.net
> says...
>> I'm almost certain it is normal. First, while you can access
>> sprintpcs.com email on a PC, it is still a part of Vision--and I'm
>> pretty darn sure it was meant to be used with your phone. Second,
>> POP3 and online Web access are somewhat like bonuses (and make it
>> easier to, for instance, delete a large number of messages at one
>> time).
>>
>> Finally, "name" is (IIRC) your Vision username. You don't have
>> Vision, so it would seem likely you don't even have that username
>> anymore. I don't know how long Sprint PCS waits before recycling
>> usernames, but I would assume that name could belong to someone else
>> in a few months (if you have a common surname and used the default
>> username that Sprint PCS created for you).
>
> This is actually not true, by default. When a Vision phone is
> activated on the Sprint PCs system, the *capability* to use Vision is
> also activated, automatically. The billing is a penny per KB of data
> usage to or from the phone. Then you can choose to have or not have
> one of Vision "packs" that provide (among all the other stuff)
> unlimited data usage to and from the phone for a flat fee.
>
> If you simply tell a CSR that you no longer want to pay the $15, or
> $10 for Vision, then the billing "pack" gets removed, but this should
> not affect your Vision *capability*. Thus, the Vision Username stays
> in effect, and SprintPCS email along with it.
>
> There's an additional
> step to *completely* remove Vision, including the capability for it.
> But a customer has to specifically ask for it.
>
> Unless you asked to have it completely disabled, you should still be
> able to use PCS Mail.

Assuming you meant using PCS Mail on a PC without Vision doesn't incur a
fee, that doesn't make sense to me. Why is someone who cancels Vision
entitled to still use email with a PC without paying? Obviously it
wouldn't be practical to use Email on the handset and incur a per-KB
fee. You might as well have just paid the $10 per month.

Is this policy documented somewhere? (Free POP3 email to non-Vision
subscribers.) If it's not free and non-Vision subscribers were using it
thinking it was, perhaps SPCS started disabling it altogether to avoid
such issues (i.e., non-Vision users calling to complain about the
charges).


--
Mike
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 3:23:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

In article <3f3u4aF5tmh0U1@individual.net>, mlynch@REMOVEMEcitlink.net
says...
> Assuming you meant using PCS Mail on a PC without Vision doesn't incur a
> fee, that doesn't make sense to me. Why is someone who cancels Vision
> entitled to still use email with a PC without paying? Obviously it
> wouldn't be practical to use Email on the handset and incur a per-KB
> fee. You might as well have just paid the $10 per month.

First, just to be clear, the OP was asking about having PCS Mail
functioning. That's how I understood the question. Not about whether
it's accessed via a PC or a phone. So my answer was in that context. I
think your question is a different context.

PCS Mail, all by itself, is a free "perk" just for being a Sprint PCS
customer. PCS Mail predates Vision. Prior to the rollout of Vision,
Sprint customers got one chance to create a PCS Mail name. And then you
were stuck with it. When Vision rolled out, all that changed is that
the Vision username was matched to the PCS Mail name, with the added
benefit that now changing the Vision user name also changed your PCS
Mail name.

>
> Is this policy documented somewhere? (Free POP3 email to non-Vision
> subscribers.)

Yup.

http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/ueContent.jsp?scTopic...

"This full-function email service is available to all Sprint customers.
Create, send, and receive emails – including file or photo attachments –
from most Sprint PCS VisionSM Phones or www.sprintpcs.com.

"To create a new account, sign on to My PCS and select Sprint PCS Mail
from your Online Tools. Follow the prompts and you're all set!"

> If it's not free and non-Vision subscribers were using it
> thinking it was, perhaps SPCS started disabling it altogether to avoid
> such issues (i.e., non-Vision users calling to complain about the
> charges).
>

PCS Mail, in and of itself, is a free service. Your ISP may or may not
charge you for accessing it, and you incur any applicable Vision charges
when you access it via the phone. But the service itself has no
charges.



--
RØß
O/Siris
-+-
A thing moderately good
is not so good as it ought to be.
Moderation in temper is always a virtue,
but moderation in principle is always a vice.
+Thomas Paine, "The Rights of Man", 1792+
May 20, 2005 11:17:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

O/Siris wrote:
> In article <3f3u4aF5tmh0U1@individual.net>, mlynch@REMOVEMEcitlink.net
> says...
>> Assuming you meant using PCS Mail on a PC without Vision doesn't
>> incur a fee, that doesn't make sense to me. Why is someone who
>> cancels Vision entitled to still use email with a PC without paying?
>> Obviously it wouldn't be practical to use Email on the handset and
>> incur a per-KB fee. You might as well have just paid the $10 per
>> month.
>
> First, just to be clear, the OP was asking about having PCS Mail
> functioning. That's how I understood the question. Not about whether
> it's accessed via a PC or a phone. So my answer was in that context.
> I think your question is a different context.
>

Yes, I did interpret it as still only wanting POP3 access (e.g., using a
PC). I didn't think anyone would cancel Vision and then turn right
around and use it on the phone anyway. However, I think that accessing
it on the phone may indeed be the correct interpretation, based on the
OP's "wording" ("I had cancelled my unlimited Vision Web service seems
to me I have no more e-mail either"). Guess he does want to use it on
the phone. But as he hasn't come back to clarify anything I'm certainly
not going to dig into this any further. <g>


Thanks,
Mike
!