Wireless camera & Networking

a1sealc4

Honorable
Mar 5, 2013
Hello all,

My folks since I can remember have lived out in the wilderness and have always wanted some way to see the wildlife that passes by their house.

They are not close to any type of internet except satellite but Hughes net and other companies are out of the question. My only question is that even though a router isn't connected to the internet it's still possible to connect to it correct? It's always broadcasting a signal no matter what.

What i'm trying to accomplish is to have a low budget motion detection camera under $100 that can take video or pictures and send them wirelessly to their computer for viewing without any internet connection. Is it possible?

Ay help is appreciated thank you.

Solution
Your typical consumer router is really a combination device, consisting of a switch, wireless AP, and ... well, a router. We just call it a router for simplicity sake.

You can use or not use any of those components as you see fit. If you don't have internet access, you can still use the switch to create a local network, and use the wireless AP to provide wireless access. The switch and wireless are bridged. The integrated DHCP server will auto-configure all your LAN clients. They just won’t have an assigned gateway IP (that’s what directs them over the WAN and to the internet).

So yes, it will work just fine.
Your typical consumer router is really a combination device, consisting of a switch, wireless AP, and ... well, a router. We just call it a router for simplicity sake.

You can use or not use any of those components as you see fit. If you don't have internet access, you can still use the switch to create a local network, and use the wireless AP to provide wireless access. The switch and wireless are bridged. The integrated DHCP server will auto-configure all your LAN clients. They just won’t have an assigned gateway IP (that’s what directs them over the WAN and to the internet).

So yes, it will work just fine.

Solution