Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Audio Networking Help

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 10:31:02 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Hi,

i work at a pub in melbourne australia,
we have three seperate rooms at the pub, each with their own stage.

the pub is open from 11am, and bands start around 9:30pm.

between 11am and 9:30pm, we play the radio or cds though each room's PA
while people are drinking during the day.

only problem is, we have to burn new compilation cds all the time, it
gets pretty time consuming. and music tends to be repeated.

we would like to set up a computer upstairs in the office that controls
three seperate audio streams sent to each of the pub's rooms desks.
whether we hard wire or do it wirelessly, i dont know.

but we would like to be able to control playlists of mp3s.... say a
reggae band was playing in room A, we'd like to randomly play reggae
tunes. if a rock band in room B, we;d randomly play rock simultaneuosly.
likewise with room C.

I suppose getting a 6 or 8 out soundcard would be the best solution, but
we have very little experience with audio hardware.

software would obviously be the most important element, so sugestions in
this feild would also be appreciated.


I look forward to your replies...

bests.
Slugman.

More about : audio networking

Anonymous
April 3, 2005 8:36:31 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

slugman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i work at a pub in melbourne australia,
> we have three seperate rooms at the pub, each with their own stage.
>
> the pub is open from 11am, and bands start around 9:30pm.
>
> between 11am and 9:30pm, we play the radio or cds though each room's PA
> while people are drinking during the day.
>
> only problem is, we have to burn new compilation cds all the time, it
> gets pretty time consuming. and music tends to be repeated.
>
> we would like to set up a computer upstairs in the office that controls
> three seperate audio streams sent to each of the pub's rooms desks.
> whether we hard wire or do it wirelessly, i dont know.
>
> but we would like to be able to control playlists of mp3s.... say a
> reggae band was playing in room A, we'd like to randomly play reggae
> tunes. if a rock band in room B, we;d randomly play rock simultaneuosly.
> likewise with room C.
>
> I suppose getting a 6 or 8 out soundcard would be the best solution, but
> we have very little experience with audio hardware.
>
> software would obviously be the most important element, so sugestions in
> this feild would also be appreciated.
>
> I look forward to your replies...
>
> bests.
> Slugman.

I think the easiest solution is to get three iPODs or MP3 players of
your
choice, Ones that have a random or shuffle play setting. Feed your sound
system with these, and upload music to them when you get tired of a specific

song. Buy a spare for when one fails, and lock them down into a bracket to
reduce their vapor pressure.

--Dale
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 2:58:48 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Dale Farmer wrote:
>
> slugman wrote:
>
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>i work at a pub in melbourne australia,
>>we have three seperate rooms at the pub, each with their own stage.
>>
>>the pub is open from 11am, and bands start around 9:30pm.
>>
>>between 11am and 9:30pm, we play the radio or cds though each room's PA
>>while people are drinking during the day.
>>
>>only problem is, we have to burn new compilation cds all the time, it
>>gets pretty time consuming. and music tends to be repeated.
>>
>>we would like to set up a computer upstairs in the office that controls
>>three seperate audio streams sent to each of the pub's rooms desks.
>>whether we hard wire or do it wirelessly, i dont know.
>>
>>but we would like to be able to control playlists of mp3s.... say a
>>reggae band was playing in room A, we'd like to randomly play reggae
>>tunes. if a rock band in room B, we;d randomly play rock simultaneuosly.
>>likewise with room C.
>>
>>I suppose getting a 6 or 8 out soundcard would be the best solution, but
>>we have very little experience with audio hardware.
>>
>>software would obviously be the most important element, so sugestions in
>>this feild would also be appreciated.
>>
>>I look forward to your replies...
>>
>>bests.
>>Slugman.
>
>
> I think the easiest solution is to get three iPODs or MP3 players of
> your
> choice, Ones that have a random or shuffle play setting. Feed your sound
> system with these, and upload music to them when you get tired of a specific
>
> song. Buy a spare for when one fails, and lock them down into a bracket to
> reduce their vapor pressure.



click-click...click-click...click-click...click-click...(approx 78rpm)

"and iTunes to bind them" http://www.apple.com/itunes/
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 2:42:25 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

slugman wrote:
> only problem is, we have to burn new compilation cds all the time, it
> gets pretty time consuming. and music tends to be repeated.
>
> we would like to set up a computer upstairs in the office that controls
> three seperate audio streams sent to each of the pub's rooms desks.
> whether we hard wire or do it wirelessly, i dont know.
>
> but we would like to be able to control playlists of mp3s.... say a
> reggae band was playing in room A, we'd like to randomly play reggae
> tunes. if a rock band in room B, we;d randomly play rock simultaneuosly.
> likewise with room C.

One solution is to get three of these thingies:

http://www.slimdevices.com/

They are little boxes that have an ethernet port, and they can
access your music collection (stored on the computer) over the
network and play it. They have a small display and an handheld
remote you can use to control them from the box itself, or you
can use a web browser on the (host) computer to control what
the boxes are playing. They're available in wired and wireless
versions. They seem to indicate that they ship to Australia.

Personally I would go for wired. You'll have to run Ethernet
to each mixing disk, but it's a lot more reliable than wireless.
Even if it only happens once a week, you don't want the music to
just stop for a minute or two because there is some problem with
the reception! Of course, this means you will have to run
Cat5 from the office down to each room in the club, but that
may not be too terrible. If you already have your computer
networked through Ethernet, I would make sure to plug host
computer and all the slimdevices devices into ports on the
same switch, even if that means you need to buy another switch
just for the purpose. That way other traffic won't interfere
with the audio data, and the audio data won't interfere with
other traffic.

There are supposed to be lots of other similar devices on the
market too.

- Logan
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 3:51:36 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Logan Shaw" <lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com> wrote
> One solution is to get three of these thingies:
>
> http://www.slimdevices.com/

Or three of anything, like 3 computers. Even if you get a sound card with 3
stereo outs, I'm not aware of any cheap software that can run 3 playlists
simultaneous off the same box. Anyone??

You don't need an expensive computer simply to run a playlist. Any cheap
old used 200 MHz box will do. I've driven over 100 feet of cable from the
analog outs of an Echo MIA MIDI sound card which are only $140 ea. 3 cheap
computers with MIA MIDI's and maybe networked to something with a huge hard
drive where you store all your mp3's. That's what I'd do.

Julian
!