Audio Networking Help

Last response: in Home Audio
April 3, 2005 10:37:38 AM

Audio Networking Help

Hi,

i work at a pub in melbourne australia,
we have three seperate rooms at the pub, each with their own stage.

the pub is open from 11am, and bands start around 9:30pm.

between 11am and 9:30pm, we play the radio or cds though each room's PA
while people are drinking during the day.

only problem is, we have to burn new compilation cds all the time, it
gets pretty time consuming. and music tends to be repeated.

we would like to set up a computer upstairs in the office that controls
three seperate audio streams sent to each of the pub's rooms desks.
whether we hard wire or do it wirelessly, i dont know.

but we would like to be able to control playlists of mp3s.... say a
reggae band was playing in room A, we'd like to randomly play reggae
tunes. if a rock band in room B, we;d randomly play rock simultaneuosly.
likewise with room C.

I suppose getting a 6 or 8 out soundcard would be the best solution, but
we have very little experience with audio hardware.

software would obviously be the most important element, so sugestions in
this feild would also be appreciated.

I look forward to your replies...

bests.
Slugman.

More about : audio networking

Anonymous
April 8, 2005 6:17:00 PM

The trivial solution is to network the data -- have one machine act as a
server, and have two other machines (which can be cheap ones) also
accessing the shared repository, each managing its own playlist. That
lets you use off-the-shelf software, and distributes the decompression
computational load.

Caveat: This setup may run afoul of copyright and/or licensing restrictions.
!